Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: First sabers, opinions wanted please  (Read 1283 times)
Jabari
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 57

« on: October 06, 2012, 06:32:59 AM »

I'm trying to plan out my saber purchases and would love to hear some feedback on what I've come up with so far.

Saber 1:

Dark Prophecy in Fire Orange (will be customized to look like the discontinued LE)
- no sound, standard setup fits my budget!

(- possibly with buckpuck, so that I could later get it converted to sound with Sunrider's Destiny Flash on Clash.  See explanation below.)

Saber 2 (for a later date):

Shock LE in Adegan Silver
- Violet Amethyst Flash on Clash
- quick disconnect
- buckpuck
- red illuminated switch

AND
Pyrestone MLS with quick disconnect (probably no Flash on Clash)  (I'd have to ask for this specially, right?  It's not on the MLS drop down list.)

Here's what I'm thinking.  The sabers will mainly be costume items with occasional use - I just don't know anyone else with battle-worthy sabers, and I prefer choreography to flat-out-whack-battle anyway so midgrade blades are fine.  I'm not a huge fan of sound, but I do like the flash on clash.  I don't have a ton of money, nor do I want a huge number of sabers taking up space, hence the quick disconnect for the extra color(s).

The Prophecy is the saber I want most (the Shock is an alternate for the Corellian Jedi just for fun, and for a potential Darth Revan).  Much as I would like the Flash on Clash, sound is just too expensive right now, especially for a feature I'm not sold on.  Basically it comes down to how long I'm willing to wait to save up, I guess.  Get a plain saber I would be perfectly happy with sooner, (and therefore the second saber sooner) or a tricked-out saber later.  Or a plain saber with a buckpuck now, and upgrade it later if I really like the second saber's Flash on Clash?

Also, I have small hands.  From what I hear the Prophecy should be good, but how does the Shock compare?  I couldn't find a size.

I would love to hear some other opinions.  Thank you for your help!

Sky Dragon c5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1

Grey Jedi Assassin

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 06:24:08 PM »

Keep in mind you need sound for flash on clash because the soundboard runs flash on clash.
You can`t get an illumined av switch without sound.

I would go for the prophesy to start then and get a Shock when you save up. Then get it all tricked out. Since you want features that require sound.

The shock would be great for a fully tricked out. Ill be getting one with all the options later on.

Hope this helps.

Keep me as a Grey Jedi Please

C=Custom, D=Dark

Rd Reaper AS, Archon V2.1 AB, Consular CG, Malice BR, Overlord PO, Shock LE SY, D Shock DVA, D Liberator AS, Raven FO, D War EG, C Manticore BH, C D Shock RGB, C D Arbiter SR, C Archon V2.

Jare Tal’onidir
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 27

I am a Jedi..but the Dark Side has the best toys!

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 07:32:23 PM »

I second Sky Dragon's opinion. I have both the Prophecy and the Shock, and the Prophecy is an amazing stunt saber. The Shock is a bit thicker and lacks the choke points. It is still one of my favorite dueling sabers, but it's a little less whippy than the Prophecy. My Shock is also RGB, so it's extra length might give me the wrong impression of how the saber handles. If you're concerned about dueling, these two hilts and my Libby are my go to sabers for serious dueling. I use the Prophecy as a one hand weapon, the Libby for either an off hand weapon or when I want to alternate hands frequently, and the Shock I use as my two handed power weapon.

My Sabers:
FO Aeon v2: DVA Prophecy v3; SY Consular; VA Nickle Monarch; AS Shock; BR Malishock, AB Graflex, PO Manticore FOC with Obsidian; CG Liberator AS FOC with Obsidian; and a GB Nickle Prophecy v3 with Obsidian

Jabari
Knight Major

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 12:17:38 AM »

Thanks to both of you, and it's especially nice to hear from someone who has both sabers I'm looking at for comparison!

One more quick question:  am I correct in thinking that getting the Prophecy with the buckpuck now will make adding sound/flash easier if I choose to do so later?  Or does the whole thing need to be rewired anyway?

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 01:10:48 AM »

Thanks to both of you, and it's especially nice to hear from someone who has both sabers I'm looking at for comparison!

One more quick question:  am I correct in thinking that getting the Prophecy with the buckpuck now will make adding sound/flash easier if I choose to do so later?  Or does the whole thing need to be rewired anyway?

The Buck Puck will make it easier.  You will have to replace the switch with a momentary switch but that is relatively easy.  For the most part, you will be changing a switch and adding some additional wires. 

When you get ready to upgrade, you can either send it back to Ultrasabers (this will ensure you have a warranty) or if you are good at electronics and soldering, Vex has some really great schematics and I have some videos showing how to accomplish the upgrade yourself. 

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 03:37:52 AM »

Definatly watch Blue's videos, they were well made and easy to understand. I didn't decide to add sound to my Overlord untill I saw them.

dark side points please

Jabari
Knight Major

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 01:56:17 AM »

Thank you, that was exactly what I wanted to know.  Most likely I'd be sending the saber back to US for the upgrades if I do it.  Now I just have to come up with some spare cash!   Smiley

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 11:03:56 AM »

Thank you, that was exactly what I wanted to know.  Most likely I'd be sending the saber back to US for the upgrades if I do it.  Now I just have to come up with some spare cash!   Smiley

Ben has the best idea.  Every month, purchase a gift certificate.  This way, you won't be tempted to spend saber money on anything else and you'll have it quickly available when you want to do the upgrade. 

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Jabari
Knight Major

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 03:22:20 AM »

That is a good idea.  If the car didn't need repairs....  But my very cool brother has bought me a mystery saber for Christmas, so I may use that idea for my second one or for the upgrade!   Thanks everyone!

Sky Dragon c5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1

Grey Jedi Assassin

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 03:37:28 AM »

Mystery saber, Hmmmmm

Keep me as a Grey Jedi Please

C=Custom, D=Dark

Rd Reaper AS, Archon V2.1 AB, Consular CG, Malice BR, Overlord PO, Shock LE SY, D Shock DVA, D Liberator AS, Raven FO, D War EG, C Manticore BH, C D Shock RGB, C D Arbiter SR, C Archon V2.

Jabari
Knight Major

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 04:58:05 AM »

I think I know what it is.  Grin  He bought himself a Bellicose as well, and I have to say I really am impressed with it.  It's the first Ultrasaber I've seen in person, and one that didn't catch my eye at all on the website.  I do like it in person though (and Sunrider's Destiny is a beautiful color!).  I can't wait!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: