Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Guardian Blue Aeon Review (pics to come soon)  (Read 1269 times)
4stringjedi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 9

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder

« on: October 09, 2012, 06:55:41 PM »

I purchased this saber (my first Ultrasaber) in the late summer of 2011.
To clear up some confusion I've seen regarding the Aeon - This is technically the Aeon V1 as their was never a PVC Aeon, just the Dominix in various colours. The Aeon wasn't introduced until US updated the Dominix as a metal saber, introducing the Aeon as the "lightside" option. So I supose you could say this is either the Aeon V1 or the Lightside Dominix V2.

Anyway, let's get cracking!

Order Info:
LED colour - Guardian Blue
Blade - Heavy
Blade Retention Screw Wrench - Yes
Additional Comments - I requested a 32" blade

Hilt:
I love the hilt design, its sleek and wieldable enough but with just enough detail to make it look like a Lightsaber ratherthan a metal tube. the grooves give it that little something extra as well as giving some extra grip. I like to hold the hilt right at the emitter so I wanted something streamlined with more space above the switch. The Aeon fits my preferences very well, but I would have preferred the emitter section to be slightly less raised.
I was slightly disappointed that I didn't get a blue switch button, but it really doesn't impact me enough that I would consider it to reduce my opinion of the hilt.
Overall I give the hilt 8/10. A very nice hilt but still room for improvement

Blade:
I'm sure there was a sale on heavy-grade blades or something (upgrade to heavy blade for no extra cost, maybe?) when I purchased this saber because I really can't think of why I got a heavy blade when I don't do anything with my saber that requires a stronger blade, and I feel it would feel a lot more comfortable with a mid-grade. This is my mistake though and I am pleased with the blade. The light isn't dulled by the extra thickness and the colour is still very clear. The heavy blade is tough as hell and has not suffered from the many times I have accidentally smacked it against my walls or book case, although the tip is pretty bashed up.
The blade was shipped with a black cover that you can pop over the base of the blade when it is not in the saber to stop dust geting inside the tube, I thought this was a really nice touch.
Overall I give the blade a 9/10.

Electronics:
I'm no electronics buff so I won't embarass myself by pretending to know what I'm talking about. "It appears to run on some form of electricity!"
I give the electronics 9/10 because they work and my limited knowledge of the subject can't find any flaws.

Build Quality:
The hilt itself is light, yet extremely tough. I'm sure it could survive many a skirmish in a Tatooine cantina! The LED stays in place well and everythign holds together nicely. Unlike some of the wider hilts the battery pack in the Aeon is wedged in there perfectly. I really have to shake/bash it to convince it to come out. The blade, as mentioned above, is tough as nails and isn't likely to break any time soon.
I give the build quality 9.5/10. Because I never give perfect scores unless I have really tested something to destruction.

In Use:
This is a great saber to learn on. I've been practising basic kata and exercises from the likes of TPLA, NY Jedi, and other useful places for a few months now since really getting into the development of lightsaber forms. The style of the hilt is a perfect all-rounder for learning It is just the right length, the layout of the hilt fits a variety of hand placements, and it is inexpensive. I find that spins can be a little bit tougher with this hilt as I like to grip the saber so far up the emitter, but fans of choke points will love the upper grooved section. I find that spinning while holding the saber by the grooved section above the hilt is very comfortable, but I felt much more confident with my hand further up the hilt.
I do wish the blade was just and inch longer as it does feel a little too short at times, and the heavy blade does move the balance point a little further away from the hilt than I would prefer. But these are personal preferences rather flaws in design/build.
I give the Aeon 9/10 for usability. Personal preferences aside, its a brilliantly practical Lightsaber.

Customer Service:
Customer service was brilliant, I emailed US about a query I had regarding payment for international orders and Emory replied back within 3 days (it would probably have been quicker if not for the time difference) with an answer. My request for a shorter blade was acted upon, although I would have liked some sort of confirmation that the request was understood.
Customer Service gets an 8.5/10

Conclusion/Overall Impression: (turning point for US)
In my eyes, this saber represents a turning point for Ultrasabers. It marks the end of the PVC era and the dawn of the new age of epic metal shininess! It also just so happens to be a spectacular saber. Although it may not be flashy enough for some, I love the simple practicality of my Aeon. I just wish I had ordered a 33" mid-grade blade rather than a 32" heavy-grade, I feel this would have made for a superior saber. Oh well, maybe in my next order  Wink
Overall, the Aeon is a great workhorse saber and I recommend it for anyone getting into the saber world, or for someone who has higher-end sabers and wants something simple for a change. Hell you should buy one anyway, it's awesome!

Well there you go, I hope my first review was useful. As mentioned in the title, pictures will be coming soon.

PS.
Please offer any feedback on the quality of my review so I can update it and improve future ones.  Smiley

Lightside if you like point giving Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: