Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down
Author Topic: Starfighter Tactics Discussion (X-wing/Tie/Alliance ***NOT N64 RogSqd TRASH***  (Read 45337 times)
Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« on: October 12, 2012, 04:42:25 PM »

So we dont derail any thread further. Here we can talk about ui differences in the targeting computers, favourite missions, ships to fly, and tactics.

Favourite scenarios for multiplayer in xwing alliance..and maybe organise an online game of it.....?

Furthermore this thread is for the discussion of star wars based flight SIMs not the third party starfox in a starwars skin rogue squadron garbage or the even older pc Rebel Assault I/II

So, lets get this started guys. Four lit and in the green.

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Vyk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 156

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 06:36:32 PM »

Aw, utterly derailing introduction threads is fun!  Okay, okay.

Well, I'll start by throwing in my opinion that XvTIE was the weakest of the series by a large margin.
Pluses: Woo, I get to fight my friends!  Oh, and the graphics are better!  ...and that's about it.
Minuses: No storyline (no, the expansion doesn't count), no real penalty for dying, (possibly intentionally) questionable game balance, and I'm pretty sure there were other things I disliked at the time.  (On a related note, good gods flares were annoying.)

The original X-Wing was good for its day; the worst I can say about it is that the later ones were so awesome that they overshadowed it.  Both TIE Fighter and XWA are absolutely amazing games.  Decent difficulty balance for the main storyline, with lots of hints of a bigger story behind what you're actually seeing.  In XWA, the parallel story of your family adds depth to the character and reminds you that the people fighting in the Galactic Civil War are exactly that--people, with lives outside of their cockpits.

And, yeah, I couldn't really get into Rogue Squadron, and Rebel Assault was just plain dreadful.  I did kind of like Starfighter/Jedi Starfighter, but they were pale imitations of the X-Wing/TIE series.

BTW, I'm assuming that we're not worried about spoilers in this thread, inasmuch as these games have been out long enough for anybody to have played them if they were so inclined.  However, we should probably note that fact in a readily visible manner.  Seem reasonable?  On a related note, have most people read the X-Wing novels?

Viper 3, two lit and...
...hang on...  *WHAM!*
...in the, er...  *BANG!*
...yellow is pretty much the same as green, right?
(BTW, landing Headhunters with every single display panel shot out is HILARIOUS.)

Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Dominix LE v4 Emerald RGBW, Obsidian v4
Manticore HP, Obsidian v4
Aeon LE v3 SY, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v3 3AS, Obsidian Lite
Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Aeon LE v2 AS, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt
Dark Liberator v2 BR, stunt
[censored] RGBA, [redacted] sound
Luke Skywalker, Kylo Ren, and Yoda Force FX Black Series
...and a bunch of cheap stuff.

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 06:51:41 PM »

Aw, utterly derailing introduction threads is fun!  Okay, okay.

Well, I'll start by throwing in my opinion that XvTIE was the weakest of the series by a large margin.
Pluses: Woo, I get to fight my friends!  Oh, and the graphics are better!  ...and that's about it.
Minuses: No storyline (no, the expansion doesn't count), no real penalty for dying, (possibly intentionally) questionable game balance, and I'm pretty sure there were other things I disliked at the time.  (On a related note, good gods flares were annoying.)

The original X-Wing was good for its day; the worst I can say about it is that the later ones were so awesome that they overshadowed it.  Both TIE Fighter and XWA are absolutely amazing games.  Decent difficulty balance for the main storyline, with lots of hints of a bigger story behind what you're actually seeing.  In XWA, the parallel story of your family adds depth to the character and reminds you that the people fighting in the Galactic Civil War are exactly that--people, with lives outside of their cockpits.

xwvtie was the worst in the series for singleplayer yes, but was the first time we got to fly against each other, which it gets points for

xwing i think needs to be completely redone with the updated xwing alliance settings, so the HUD is usable, beyond that it was great

i will say however that xwing was by far the most difficult of any of them

and the b-wing training mission where you do a trench run in the simulator...................................out of nearly 2oo attempts, i maybe hit it 5ive times, then again i tend to play on the hardest difficulty setting

"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 07:08:03 PM »

I should dust off my copy of X-Wing Alliance one day, so we can all get together and play.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 07:08:56 PM »

*lodges protest about all the Rogue Squadron hate*

*ahem*

That aside, I really do need to dust off X-Wing Alliance and see if the Joystick still works. That game was a blast, and I'll admit, MUCH more challenging than the RS games were, what with AI that shot back and all... XD It's widely known I'm a T-65 man myself, but I have to admit through various games I've developed some love for the various other Wings as well. I'd love to test hop an E-Wing, but I can't recall a game it was available in. The A-Wing is a great bird, once you learn it. Used to drive my friends batty flying that thing. Heh heh heh... Grin The B-Wing can be good for the punch it packs, but the gyro cockpit throws me off maneuvering in tight spaces. I'll also say that the Y-Wing, while usually a bucket in my book, is significantly more fun to fly when you can get someone to play gunner, and that is a feature from Renegade Squadron that I think would be interesting to see in a more detailed Sim style game instead of a shooter. Not that Renegade wasn't fun, of course, but it wasn't XWA. Wink

@TJ: I'm on your wing, Nova Five.  Cool

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 07:09:20 PM »

Epic anyone rember how many players can get into a game at once?

Luke & Corran (I,J)

Vyk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 156

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 07:11:25 PM »

Epic anyone rember how many players can get into a game at once?
I think it was eight.

Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Dominix LE v4 Emerald RGBW, Obsidian v4
Manticore HP, Obsidian v4
Aeon LE v3 SY, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v3 3AS, Obsidian Lite
Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Aeon LE v2 AS, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt
Dark Liberator v2 BR, stunt
[censored] RGBA, [redacted] sound
Luke Skywalker, Kylo Ren, and Yoda Force FX Black Series
...and a bunch of cheap stuff.

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 07:12:44 PM »

Sooo..... we need four more, and I need a year to relearn flying on the PC instead of the console.... XD

I am not a color...

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 07:33:03 PM »

Thoughts, storyline to play through as a group.....

depending on if we win or loose, next mission changes

umm here

1
                                                                    2w                                                                                   2L
                                             3w-w                                  3w-L                                      3l-w                                3-L
                           4ww-w                  4ww-l           4wl- w      4wl-l                     4lw-w           4lw-l              4ll-w      4ll-l

so you start with the first mission, based on how the mission goes, the next level is decided

if the rebels win, you go down path A, if the imps win you go down path B

So two possible scenarios for the next mission

Each of those two scenarios will have an imps win, or a rebels win outcome, and again the next mission differs based on who won.

I think it would be epic to have 4 imp pilots, and 4 rebels flying against each other trying to do proper objectives, and of course communicating on vent in two different channels to represent the comm systems

oh and my old xwing wingmate would so be down for this, so we only need three more pilots

Luke & Corran (I,J)

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 07:36:12 PM »

So how do we decide who gets to be Rebels and who gets to loose? Grin

I am not a color...

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 07:41:29 PM »

who says the rebels will neccisarily win

and what time period we set this, if its near endor....defenders could be in the mix

also the rebels might not have torpedoes or missles, or older versions of them, imps can get jammers, beam weapons etc

we can really sell that the rebels were fighting without a lot of money

dont forget....its storylines, capital ships will be in play, npc controlled tie fighters as well, the rebels are going to be outnumbered
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 07:44:49 PM by Veldryne » Logged

Luke & Corran (I,J)

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »

How could the Rebels not win? There's two Corellians in the mix! Wink

Hmmm.... era is a good question. I would not be confident in taking my limited PC abilities up against Trips. Then again, without some solid practice, I suppose a decent pilot would likely vape me no matter what he was flying. I'm ashamed to say my skills on the PC are WAY below par.....

I am not a color...

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 07:54:57 PM »

How could the Rebels not win? There's two Corellians in the mix! Wink

Hmmm.... era is a good question. I would not be confident in taking my limited PC abilities up against Trips. Then again, without some solid practice, I suppose a decent pilot would likely vape me no matter what he was flying. I'm ashamed to say my skills on the PC are WAY below par.....

we could go from esb onwards, mix up the xwing and tie fighter storylines, starting with the escape from hoth even

depending on how the storyline goes, for example rebels loose each one, by the last mission, the imps are using trips and brights, whereas the rebels are left with just wishbones and skulls left, and a few xwings

if the rebels win, all the way down the rebels get better gear and the imps dont get as much, left with vic-stars and dreadnaughts vs the alliances larger mon-cal cruisers and assault frigates

oooh this is gonna be interesting lol

going to have to install the game, or find a spreadsheet with all the points values that things cost to try and keep it believable

perhaps having the side with the "edge" have no more than 25% more points value overall on their side than the side that lost the previous round

start with say 750 points for the rebels, 1000 points for the imps (ballparking it, i cant remember any of the values)

Next round the base goes up to 1250 the side that "won" the previous round now has 1562 points for their side

for the imps it can be reflected in larger numbers of basic fighters, or an extra capital ship, representing the power of the imperial navy

for the rebels it can be smaller ships, light freighters instead of a fighter, a bonus of having say the falcon on their side, or just better or more warheads for their fighters

Luke & Corran (I,J)

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 07:58:25 PM »

I like that idea we should do it!

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 08:00:23 PM »

Sounds good to me. So, will the rest of you wear fighter helmets and gear for this? Cause I'm sorely tempted too.... Cheesy

I am not a color...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: