Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
Author Topic: Starfighter Tactics Discussion (X-wing/Tie/Alliance ***NOT N64 RogSqd TRASH***  (Read 45376 times)
Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 08:09:46 PM »

Nice, i guess get everyone installing the game, and start figuring out the points values of all the crap

lets keep all the experimental garbage out of this and keep it classic

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Vyk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 156

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 09:32:29 PM »

Trips shouldn't be in there.  Both the novels and the games make it clear that they're really rare.  As I recall, in the games they're only in Thrawn's fleet (and, if I remember correctly, the Heir to the Empire trilogy establishes he was in the Unknown Regions at the time of Endor, while TIE Fighter suggests he was there long before then), and the only time they appear in the books was about two squadrons in X-Wing book 8.  I'm pretty sure Wedge didn't even know what they were, so either somehow nobody noticed some three-paneled TIEs that were faster and more heavily armed than any other fighter there, or they weren't at Endor; and if they were neither on Executor (with Vader) nor the second Death Star (with the Emperor), they weren't anywhere except in Thrawn's fleet where they were being developed and tested.

Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Dominix LE v4 Emerald RGBW, Obsidian v4
Manticore HP, Obsidian v4
Aeon LE v3 SY, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v3 3AS, Obsidian Lite
Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Aeon LE v2 AS, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt
Dark Liberator v2 BR, stunt
[censored] RGBA, [redacted] sound
Luke Skywalker, Kylo Ren, and Yoda Force FX Black Series
...and a bunch of cheap stuff.

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 09:42:27 PM »

Isard had a facility someplace out in the middle of nowhere that could produce them, but there was only supposed to be a couple such facilities in existence. The fighter was exceedingly rare and never produced in large numbers. I have more info on it at home, but I can't recall it all off hand.

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Kitaaaa
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 11:10:33 PM »

Hmph. Don't know if I'd call the Rogue Squadron series trash, but I don't wanna get into an internet argument so I'll just leave it at that.

As far as XWA goes, I'd be up for a game. I've had limited experience against human players, so it'll be fun. The issue is connecting to each other, I think. I know XWA can be played over the internet, but I've had bad luck connecting my Win7 machine to people running XP machines and vice-versa.

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 11:18:38 PM »

Hmph. Don't know if I'd call the Rogue Squadron series trash, but I don't wanna get into an internet argument so I'll just leave it at that.

I too don't want to start an argument, but you get a point for that. I practically LIVED with the RS Cartridge in my N64 as a kid. Wink

Now, back to the XWA discussion. Smiley

I am not a color...

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 11:44:56 PM »

The series got better as time went on - true of most things.  The fact that one would have to completely lose one's pilot in X-Wing was a big drawback for me.  TIE Fighter was better (plus, Secret Order and Missile Boats with DotE), and then we got the story from folks on the side of things in Alliance. 

Still HAVE TF and XWA on computer...

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

Vyk
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 12:25:51 AM »

As far as XWA goes, I'd be up for a game. I've had limited experience against human players, so it'll be fun. The issue is connecting to each other, I think. I know XWA can be played over the internet, but I've had bad luck connecting my Win7 machine to people running XP machines and vice-versa.
...doesn't everybody have a half-dozen computers of various vintages and OSes so they can just pull out whatever one works best for the situation?  Oh well, don't worry, I have enough to bring the average up to at least a half-dozen for each of you!  Cheesy

I haven't played against human players since XvTIE was new--never played XWA in anything but single-player.  I don't mind being cannon fodder, though.  Smiley

Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 12:38:57 AM »

Apparantly there's tons of mods and things out there now and third party sites that host games.

Gonna track down my discs and play some tonight on my wife's laptop.

I'll start doing some looking around and find a reliable third party site for us to play games on. And I'm sure Nero would let us use the sons of the force vent server to use for coms.

Push to talk would be a must for realism. And for a while before we actually start the story we could have the pilots play co-op missions together to learn to fly win wing pairs.

"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 12:41:36 AM »

I'd love to run some practice missions before hand! See how well me and Teej really fly together. Smiley

I am not a color...

Vyk
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 12:47:45 AM »

Is there dedicated server software out there?  I have a reasonably fast server with a screaming connection that I host various dedicated game servers on, and not having a firewall in the way would probably make it easier for people to connect.

Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 12:58:06 AM »

Looks like this is the only one left up and running

http://www.voobly.com/games/view/X-Wing-Alliance/Voobly-Lounges

otherwise we need to go old school.....and join by IP address

Id personally rather fly in alliance craft, but i suppose i could fly imperial craft as well (except dupes, i absolutely refuse to fly those garbage scows)

Luke & Corran (I,J)

Kitaaaa
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 01:00:18 AM »

The series got better as time went on - true of most things.  The fact that one would have to completely lose one's pilot in X-Wing was a big drawback for me.  TIE Fighter was better (plus, Secret Order and Missile Boats with DotE), and then we got the story from folks on the side of things in Alliance. 

Still HAVE TF and XWA on computer...
XWA is a mainstay game for me simply because of how well it behaves on current-gen hardware. It's incredibly stable, supports joysticks of all kinds, and it looks beautiful with the XWA Upgrade Pack ship models, which I suggest everyone get, if you don't have 'em already. They fix a lot of the proportion problems with the original ships and tighten up the hitboxes so skinny craft like TIEs and B-Wings have more of an advantage when fired at straight-on.

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 01:03:42 AM »

Wait, people actually fly Dupes? I thought they used droids or lower life forms for those. Man, you'd have to be even dumber than your average eyeball jock to get in one of those tin cans.

If the need was absolute, I could be persuaded to fly a Squint... on rare occasion. As I said before though, you'd have to give me plenty of time to get used to flying one on PCs instead of consoles. I know the handling, it's just the controls that get me. lol

Hmm. You gotta link me up on that upgrade package. I like the sound of that.... sounds like it would be advantagous for an X-Wing pilot who's good with his Z-Axis.

I am not a color...

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 01:04:42 AM »

XWA is a mainstay game for me simply because of how well it behaves on current-gen hardware. It's incredibly stable, supports joysticks of all kinds, and it looks beautiful with the XWA Upgrade Pack ship models, which I suggest everyone get, if you don't have 'em already. They fix a lot of the proportion problems with the original ships and tighten up the hitboxes so skinny craft like TIEs and B-Wings have more of an advantage when fired at straight-on.

okay voobly looks like it works, i gotta go track down my discs and install them now

kitaaaa if you can provide us with links to the most current patches and fixes to make sure we all have the same version (avoiding problems with playing toegether)

that would be great

just a heads up manny.....i already took the voobly account name of RogueNine

Luke & Corran (I,J)

Vyk
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 01:07:52 AM »

No dupes, and you prefer Alliance, got it.  There's a nice wishbone for you right this way...  Grin

By the way, I still wish they'd ever had you fly a CloakShape in any of the games.  Those things always amused me in a slightly twisted way.
...anybody else getting the feeling that I like underdog ships?  (Maybe it's just so I have an excuse when I lose.)

Does Voobly actually help in any way?  I wasn't sure if you could connect by IP, but if you can, it seems like that'd be as easy as anything...

Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up