Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Prophecy V3 Grabbag mod (UFX sound board, custom grips)  (Read 2478 times)
Kitaaaa
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: October 16, 2012, 08:48:34 AM »

I was pretty happy to get my first saber this past Saturday. Grabbag Prophecy V3 with a blue blade. I was really worried it'd be a hilt I wasn't a fan of, but I really love the Prophecy's angular styling.

However, thanks to Big Andy, the very day I got it, I had it cracked open and desoldered, trying to jam the soundboard from the Anakin Ultimate FX saber into it. Needless to say, my first attempt ended poorly. With no sound-capable pommel, there was no place to put the speaker, and the UFX board turned the inside of my hilt into a rat's nest of wires. The Prophecy is also a pretty short hilt, so with the board in, there was no place for the power switch to go. Defeated, I resoldered the original guts back together and sparred with my friends. As usual, a project has been far more complicated than I thought.

Until today. Behold, a saber that would give an X-TIE Ugly pilot nightmares. I call it, "Because Lightsaber".

I have just spent several hours, burned my hands multiple times, and spent about $40 bending this saber to my will.
It contains the original battery pack, pommel and a UFX sound board rewired with 22-gauge solid-core wire which was also used to make the grips. Black because that's what I had lying around when I decided that would look cool, and green because Corellia.
Sound is delivered through one of the Prophecy's original lighted viewholes via a tiny but sufficiently loud speaker pulled from a Sony PSP duct-taped to the inside, just below the LED assembly. A stereo mod is in the works.
The original latching pushbutton switch has been moved to the outside, because the UFX soundboard prevents it from being installed normally. It is angled and positioned to provide a good grip with my fencing-derived style. A quick tap turns the saber off and on. Latching it prevents the saber from turning off or on unless unlatched first. It's not a bug, it's a feature!
The UFX soundboard provides motion-sensitivity, flash-on-clash and fade-on/off, though the motion sensor is quite sensitive and doesn't have many "vwung" sounds to cycle though.

Unfortunately, while I'd love to provide internal pictures, I'm afraid I'll snap another one of the UFX board's incredibly weak traces. Just watch Big Andy's tutorial videos on mute with Tourette's Guy on loop in the background, and that's basically what it was like.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: