Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1307160 times)
Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2792

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7140 on: July 01, 2018, 06:05:24 PM »

I have a friend who has FMLA dor migraines. She's allotted 8 days a month for migraines, which act like extra days off from work in addition to vacation, sick time, and floating holidays.

The wife has that for her job as well  but her job’s too cheap to allot her extra time. She has to burn her vacay days.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7141 on: July 01, 2018, 08:22:23 PM »

We decided to fill up gas early to "beat the holiday crazies"

Darth Trivius
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -17

« Reply #7142 on: July 03, 2018, 03:19:11 AM »

The Last Jedi:

I don't hate it, I don't love it. To me, it was just okay. The graphics were absolutely GORGEOUS, but it was just okay as a story.

SO WHY THE HELL IS EVERYONE FREAKING OUT ABOUT IT?! I just don't get it. I mean, on one side, we have people saying it was the greatest Star Wars film since ESB, and others who saw it and decided to boycott Solo because they hated it so much. All my friends are divided on it and going at it like the Republic and the CIS. WTF?

I mean yeah, there are a lot of plot holes, and the movie has a lot of bad acting, but to an extent (in some films more than others), that could be said about ANY Star Wars movie. Now don't get me wrong - Star Wars is basically what raised me, and it will always be, to me, the greatest series ever written, but nothing is untouchable to me, and in terms of the aspects of plot, story, acting, and character development, Star Wars in general falters A LOT. So why is this movie getting so much crap for these things when every other Star Wars movie does it as well?

And yeah, you could say it was a great story, but that's only because for the most part, it is the EXACT SAME ONE AS ESB.

EVERYONE, CALM THE HELL DOWN.

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #7143 on: July 03, 2018, 04:10:07 AM »

The Last Jedi:

I don't hate it, I don't love it. To me, it was just okay. The graphics were absolutely GORGEOUS, but it was just okay as a story.

SO WHY THE HELL IS EVERYONE FREAKING OUT ABOUT IT?! I just don't get it. I mean, on one side, we have people saying it was the greatest Star Wars film since ESB, and others who saw it and decided to boycott Solo because they hated it so much. All my friends are divided on it and going at it like the Republic and the CIS. WTF?

I mean yeah, there are a lot of plot holes, and the movie has a lot of bad acting, but to an extent (in some films more than others), that could be said about ANY Star Wars movie. Now don't get me wrong - Star Wars is basically what raised me, and it will always be, to me, the greatest series ever written, but nothing is untouchable to me, and in terms of the aspects of plot, story, acting, and character development, Star Wars in general falters A LOT. So why is this movie getting so much crap for these things when every other Star Wars movie does it as well?

And yeah, you could say it was a great story, but that's only because for the most part, it is the EXACT SAME ONE AS ESB.

I didn't see Solo, not because TLJ made me want to boycoot SW movies, but becuase TLJ left such a bad taste in my mouth that I simply had no interest in seeing Solo.  I'm burned out on SW right now honestly.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #7144 on: July 03, 2018, 11:28:58 AM »

The Last Jedi:

There are a lot of reasons.  Perception is everything, some care way more about star wars than others, even within the fandom.  The abandonment of plot elements set forth in TFA, the assassination of Luke's character etc...all the reasons have stated by many.  If you don't see these as problems, good for you.  You get to look foreword to new Star Wars content.  Others aren't so nonchalant about it.  Some people didn't go see Solo because they were boycotting, but, speaking for myself and many others I have spoken to, I just am not interested in a Han Solo film. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7145 on: July 03, 2018, 02:29:43 PM »

The Last Jedi:

I like it for what it is, it's another chapter into the SW universe.  It wasn't as bad as say Jar Jar Binks but I was a bit disappointed with the lack of action from legendary characters in TLJ and how they were just wiped away in an instant so to speak.  I understand the move towards introducing new characters to take the helm but they could of done better with it.

There are a lot of reasons.  Perception is everything, some care way more about star wars than others, even within the fandom.  The abandonment of plot elements set forth in TFA, the assassination of Luke's character etc...all the reasons have stated by many.  If you don't see these as problems, good for you.  You get to look foreword to new Star Wars content.  Others aren't so nonchalant about it.  Some people didn't go see Solo because they were boycotting, but, speaking for myself and many others I have spoken to, I just am not interested in a Han Solo film. 

I didn't feel like they did Han or Luke justice by killing them off in those ways.  I understand Han more so than Luke since Han's killing was Kylo's complete walk into the Dark side of the force but Luke's character arc was just demolished and I'm not complaining on the movie. I just think it was 30 years wasted in one singular event.  I was also disappointed that they didn't take in the characters from the books like the Solo twins or Ben Skywalker and Mara Jade but it was still enjoyable to me.

I didn't see Solo, not because TLJ made me want to boycoot SW movies, but becuase TLJ left such a bad taste in my mouth that I simply had no interest in seeing Solo.  I'm burned out on SW right now honestly.

I didn't think that they did Han justice in the movie much and didn't really portray him as the scoundrel we've all love.  He was more like a guy caught in certain situations and did the right thing. 

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2773

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #7146 on: July 03, 2018, 03:35:57 PM »

I like it for what it is, it's another chapter into the SW universe.  It wasn't as bad as say Jar Jar Binks but I was a bit disappointed with the lack of action from legendary characters in TLJ and how they were just wiped away in an instant so to speak.  I understand the move towards introducing new characters to take the helm but they could of done better with it.
I'm going to refute you on this. I would happily edit more Jar Jar into the prequels, if the sequels could be purged. But that's me.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7147 on: July 03, 2018, 03:38:18 PM »

I'm going to refute you on this. I would happily edit more Jar Jar into the prequels, if the sequels could be purged. But that's me.

Touche

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #7148 on: July 03, 2018, 06:45:11 PM »

I didn't feel like they did Han or Luke justice by killing them off in those ways.

and for many, including myself, that was a major factor in the dislike.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #7149 on: July 05, 2018, 10:20:42 PM »

The Last Jedi:

I am calm.  :-)

What I have calmly told people over and over in person is this: TLJ had three sub-plots - Luke/Rey, Finn/Rose, and Po/Leia and Holdo.   In all three you have a woman who is smarter, wiser, more articulate and has a clearer head providing guidance and direction to a man who is emotional, acting stupidly, and has no clear vision of what is going on.  My childhood hero, Luke Skywalker, rather than being a kick-butt Jedi Master, is a grumpy old man who has spent YEARS in an extended pity party.  Po, who has been presented previously as a dynamic military leader with SKILLZ, is suddenly a whiny  simpleton who is only concerned with blowing things up.  And Finn, rather than being portrayed as having a real concern for his friend Rey is shown as selfish and skulking, and his one attempt at a truly selfless, heroic act is foiled by the smarter, wiser woman who saves his life at great cost to herself to keep him from wasting it (in her view) on a pointless sacrifice.

There are no male role models.  There are no real female role models.   The "strong" women are hugely flawed, the men are emasculated, and Rey is transformed from an enigma into a full-on Mary Sue.

The movie itself wasn't bad at all.  I saw it twice.  I enjoyed it - at first.  But the story-telling was far worse than most people are willing to say and the results of that storytelling are utterly abominable.  After TLJ I'm not sure I really care to see Ep IX anymore.  Or any other Star Wars movie. 

That's not a lie or a joke.  I have become apathetic.  I'm far more interested in the Marvel movies and other SciFi offerings coming along.  I can write better Star Wars myself.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7150 on: July 05, 2018, 11:45:00 PM »

TLJ definitely descimated quite a bit of the characters that we’ve grown to love over the last several decades.  Watching Luke in the movie was like watching a new actor replacing the original while trying to mimic the former’s manurisms.   Recently, the writer won three awards and all fans weren’t too happy.  
https://inews.co.uk/culture/film/the-last-jedi-saturn-awards-reaction/

Now, I liked the movie overall and watched it several times. I like what they did with Leia showing that she didn’t completely abandoned her Force abilities.  

What I do like out of episode VII and VIII are that they introduced the Knights of Ren.  I sure they give more of a back story of how they came to be I’m on the big screen.  I would like to see a Kylo movie from childhood into his path to the dark side.  

I hope they do go forward with an Obi Wan movie though.

I’m disappointed and my main love are Marvel movies but I’ll still watch any movies coming out.  

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #7151 on: July 05, 2018, 11:58:45 PM »

Actually the Knights of Ren are introduced in The Force Awakens ... and utterly abandoned in TLJ.  Like every other leading storyline set up in the first movie.  More of that horrible story telling.  They just abandoned everything to go do their own thing, and it was all OK as long as the right spin was given to what was said and done.

Sorry, hard not to get political with this, because so much of what was bad was rooted in a political agenda.  My opinion, anyway.

I hope that JJ Abrams can salvage something.  Honestly, I would be in full support of an Ep VIII remake right now....    Let Abrams re-do Ep VIII and then do Ep IX.   At least they'd have continuity.

JEStucker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 340

Founder - The Underfunded Force (Light Points)

« Reply #7152 on: July 06, 2018, 01:41:07 AM »

Actually the Knights of Ren are introduced in The Force Awakens ... and utterly abandoned in TLJ.  Like every other leading storyline set up in the first movie.  More of that horrible story telling.  They just abandoned everything to go do their own thing, and it was all OK as long as the right spin was given to what was said and done.

Sorry, hard not to get political with this, because so much of what was bad was rooted in a political agenda.  My opinion, anyway.

I hope that JJ Abrams can salvage something.  Honestly, I would be in full support of an Ep VIII remake right now....    Let Abrams re-do Ep VIII and then do Ep IX.   At least they'd have continuity.

Episode IX -
Post Crawl-
Luke and Rey's hands are touching on the hilt of the lightsaber from the end of Episode VII.  Luke blinks, shakes his head.  "No..."
Turns out Episode VIII was just a bad Force Dream... probably brought on by soured green sea cow milk and bad fish...

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!

Dominix v2 Fire Orange
Aeon v3 Guardian Blue/Obsidian

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #7153 on: July 06, 2018, 02:14:16 AM »

I can write better Star Wars myself.

THIS. SO MUCH THIS. There's nothing quite like watching something Star Wars and coming to the realization that you can do so much better yourself. It's a terrifying feeling isn't it? I've read some of your work Karmack and I don't doubt your statement for a second.

As for TLJ, when I start thinking "my fan fiction is more grounded and believable than this...!" then you know I think it's pretty bad.

The Last Jedi:

***SPOILERS for TLJ***

I tend to approach TLJ more from a critic's point of view rather than a SW fan. There are endless arguments and reviews that can automatically whip up an echo chamber of opinions, so by looking at it from a "movie" perspective than a "Star Wars" perspective allows for some factual evidence to work its way in. Ultimately, a movie should have a plot, good characters, good motivations for said characters, character development, etc. (all baseline items for what makes a movie, obviously there are more.) What makes TLJ so out of left field is that it has very little plot, the characters are all over the place, motivations for characters make little sense (why did Rose decide to save Finn? So that they could both die together? Rose didn't know that Luke was going to show up...), character delopment... oh man, I could write an essay on that one. I actually read a few reviews praising the fact that Phasma, Hux, and Snoke have ZERO character development, that boggles my mind. Plot holes. the whole slo-mo starship chase with nobody figuring out how to end it is what's called a "super plot hole", one that is so big that it's no moon, and has the ability to sink a film. Unbelievable that something like that got past a room full of writers.

/end rant. I guess at the end of the day it's impossible for me to understand people saying "TLJ is the best Star Wars ever!!!" because the amount of points you have to turn a blind eye to in order to truthfully say that is, in my opinion, crazy.

Time to go swing my red saber around a bit, feeling Sithy

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #7154 on: July 06, 2018, 02:18:31 AM »

Episode IX -
Post Crawl-
Luke and Rey's hands are touching on the hilt of the lightsaber from the end of Episode VII.  Luke blinks, shakes his head.  "No..."
Turns out Episode VIII was just a bad Force Dream... probably brought on by soured green sea cow milk and bad fish...

I would support this whole-heartedly!   

Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: