Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1280520 times)
Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7770 on: September 11, 2019, 12:32:06 PM »

Sometimes i write tech articles for my company. My co-worker edits my articles. Wrote a new one on a really dry subject and tried to put in a little humour to make in an interesting read. He crossed out any part he thought was a "joke" as well as the entire closing statement and wrote in extremely dry, clinical replacement text. Noones wants to read a tech article that just throws jargon in your face but hes too focused on sounding smart to realize that.

This is compounded when you realize two things: 1) the subject matter of this article can be summed up with "update your computer to stay safe" and 2) The people who read our articles are our clients who dont know the difference between wifi and ethernet.

There's always that one person in any company where ever you go that tries to sound smart all the time. I also write tech articles for my company and when I do, I email them a link for it. There's a guy who never reads it and sends in his version of the article within a weeks time with the wrong information.  Long story short, I have an understanding of what you're going through.  Just ignore the guy if you can

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #7771 on: September 12, 2019, 01:30:10 AM »

Now, see... I can understand where you're coming from.  If you really want to give me the background, then lead with the answer, and follow up with the background, so I can stop you when I have what I need, and ask you to send all that supporting info by email.

I prefaced my question with a "Yes or no - " then went into a question.  The answer was a long rambling thread... that did not ANSWER the question.

This was in an internal Team call in response to a client incident where a system was down, with multiple teams represented on the call.  This was not the first call on the incident.  This was not the first response of this style from the coworker.

I'll be speaking to the manager after the client issue is resolved.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #7772 on: September 12, 2019, 04:54:23 AM »

I prefaced my question with a "Yes or no - " then went into a question.  The answer was a long rambling thread... that did not ANSWER the question.

This was in an internal Team call in response to a client incident where a system was down, with multiple teams represented on the call.  This was not the first call on the incident.  This was not the first response of this style from the coworker.

I'll be speaking to the manager after the client issue is resolved.
Sounds like the co-worker was making stuff up on the spot, or was perhaps trying to figure it out.  In all seriousness, good luck with the follow-up chat with the manager; those can be tricky to navigate properly, and it sounds like this needs to be addressed.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #7773 on: September 12, 2019, 11:44:26 AM »

Sounds like the co-worker was making stuff up on the spot, or was perhaps trying to figure it out.  In all seriousness, good luck with the follow-up chat with the manager; those can be tricky to navigate properly, and it sounds like this needs to be addressed.

In co-worker's defense, they were up quite late and running on very little sleep, so they may have just been punchy; I'm getting to the point, however, where I no longer care, since I am the one having to deal with irate clients.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Archon - "Insight"

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #7774 on: September 12, 2019, 01:51:47 PM »

There's always that one person in any company where ever you go that tries to sound smart all the time. I also write tech articles for my company and when I do, I email them a link for it. There's a guy who never reads it and sends in his version of the article within a weeks time with the wrong information.  Long story short, I have an understanding of what you're going through.  Just ignore the guy if you can

Difficult when youre related to them, lol. Family business can be weird.

In co-worker's defense, they were up quite late and running on very little sleep, so they may have just been punchy; I'm getting to the point, however, where I no longer care, since I am the one having to deal with irate clients.

He absolutley was, and is arguable the hardest worker here, but its still annoying when i catch the brunt of that.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #7775 on: September 13, 2019, 09:10:45 PM »

I tend to explain things like that sometimes.  It isn't I'm trying to "sound Smart"..but I like detailed explanations. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #7776 on: September 14, 2019, 12:41:23 PM »

I tend to explain things like that sometimes.  It isn't I'm trying to "sound Smart"..but I like detailed explanations. 

I can be like that too.  My issue was more that we found the issue Sunday morning, and were told that we could be back up in 10 hours, no problem.

We got resolution Friday morning.  Each day had a meeting with this sort of responses to very basic questions.

In this sense, I really needed coworker to read the room and understand to whom they were speaking, and the circumstances.  The details weren't bad, but they weren't necessarily relevant to what we were meeting about.  We needed just the facts, not the backstory.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Archon - "Insight"

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #7777 on: September 21, 2019, 04:43:13 PM »

Free advice for anyone aware enough to take it: When you make a mistake, own up to it. Don't try to spread the blame around. Especially not toward your employees and 'subordinates'. They won't want to stay subordinate. You'll fall flat on your face without them. I'm afraid I just have nothing left for my supervisor anymore. I'm sorry for his situation, but blaming me for where he claims I set something is no excuse for what he did with it without reading it. Now, I have to tell the patient, his manager and the doctor. How well do you think this can go? Human error with minimal harm won't call nearly as much attention as lying about it.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #7778 on: September 21, 2019, 09:22:50 PM »

Free advice for anyone aware enough to take it: When you make a mistake, own up to it. Don't try to spread the blame around. Especially not toward your employees and 'subordinates'. They won't want to stay subordinate. You'll fall flat on your face without them. I'm afraid I just have nothing left for my supervisor anymore. I'm sorry for his situation, but blaming me for where he claims I set something is no excuse for what he did with it without reading it. Now, I have to tell the patient, his manager and the doctor. How well do you think this can go? Human error with minimal harm won't call nearly as much attention as lying about it.

It's like the plaque on Truman's desk.

"The Buck Stops Here."

IE, you're the leader - it's on you.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Archon - "Insight"

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #7779 on: September 22, 2019, 11:56:00 PM »

Yeah, I've had supervisors like that, and it stinks to high heaven.  Sometimes they not only push you in front of an oncoming bus, but they actually jump and wave and call the bus over in your direction first.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #7780 on: September 23, 2019, 02:01:36 PM »

IE, you're the leader - it's on you.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

« Reply #7781 on: October 13, 2019, 11:31:56 PM »

So I was having a great day.  No one is home so i got to sleep in. I woke up and went for a little walk.  When i came home i noticed this on my door step.

Perfectly positioned to bite me as i left me house! I got lucky. A rattlesnake bite, when no one is around to help could have made for a bad day. I got lucky!  So why is this venting?

I knocked it off my steps...

The bastard went under my porch steps and will not come out!  Two hours I've spent trying to get it out. I removed some of the steps with no luck. Blasted water under there trying to flush it out. No luck at all.  It has found a little corner where the water doesn't  reach and I'm not sticking my hand in there to grab it. So yeah...

I'm venting because today a rattlesnake  moved in under my steps and I can't do anything about it.
 The wife and kid will love this.

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #7782 on: October 14, 2019, 12:49:53 AM »

So I was having a great day.  No one is home so i got to sleep in. I woke up and went for a little walk.  When i came home i noticed this on my door step.

Perfectly positioned to bite me as i left me house! I got lucky. A rattlesnake bite, when no one is around to help could have made for a bad day. I got lucky!  So why is this venting?

I knocked it off my steps...

The bastard went under my porch steps and will not come out!  Two hours I've spent trying to get it out. I removed some of the steps with no luck. Blasted water under there trying to flush it out. No luck at all.  It has found a little corner where the water doesn't  reach and I'm not sticking my hand in there to grab it. So yeah...

I'm venting because today a rattlesnake  moved in under my steps and I can't do anything about it.
 The wife and kid will love this.

Call Animal Control?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 07:10:14 PM by ThreadJack » Logged

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Archon - "Insight"

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #7783 on: October 14, 2019, 10:42:55 AM »

That's a nice size one too.... with luck its just a "passer by" and doesn't belong to a nest under the house.  But yea if you don't have the means or desire to "take care" of it yourself I would suggest Animal Control.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

« Reply #7784 on: October 14, 2019, 10:16:38 PM »

That's a nice size one too.... with luck its just a "passer by" and doesn't belong to a nest under the house.  But yea if you don't have the means or desire to "take care" of it yourself I would suggest Animal Control.

Animal control wants $500 to come get the rattlesnake.  I want a Renegade with a diamond board...

So...at about 1pm it stuck its head out. The sun was finally hitting the step and it came all the way out! Captured and released a mile away all down hill. So it will have to crawl a mile up hill to get back. Later today I'm cutting wood and covering those openings.

Also included is a picture of a scorpion I found last night. In case you need a new wallpaper!  

Today is going a lot better than yesterday!
 Apparently yesterday was venomous animal day and I didn't get the memo.

Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: