Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Hilt Spin System  (Read 9826 times)
Anto
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

Photoshop saber... sign....

« on: January 03, 2011, 10:07:31 PM »

Hey guys !

after observing General Grevious , i invented  this :

Its A solid ring , connected to a ring clamp (adjustable with the same allen key used to hold the Ultra Blades )  with a small ball bearing - allowing 360 degrees turns and spins , that mimiks the Grevious spiining effect . put on the midlle finger , it should provide a proper placement in the hand .

Im currently on vacantion , so i dont have the materials to build this , but if anyone likes to it , i would love to see how it came out !

HELP , im CrAzy !

sjorsjo91
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 11:27:07 AM »

I don't think this works with just your middle finger. I think there will be to much force for that.
Perhaps something like a knuckle brace will work better for this. I really like the idea though.
MTFBWY

Custom Dominix
Custom TFU2 Promo
Custom SI Yoshimitsu
Custom Starkiller (destroyed)
Anakin UltraFX stunt

Anto
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 02:40:24 PM »

I don't think this works with just your middle finger. I think there will be to much force for that.
Perhaps something like a knuckle brace will work better for this. I really like the idea though.
MTFBWY

now that you mention the weight .... ( i cant compare i havent had a saber ever Smiley but youre right ... i will try to sketch a second version with a knukle brace

But let us all admit it - General Grevious looked bad-ass when he was spinning them sabers Smiley

HELP , im CrAzy !

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 02:53:54 PM »

Can you incorporate an electric motor into the design?

Anto
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 04:37:04 PM »

Can you incorporate an electric motor into the design?

I certainly can . But with complete electric automation the wielder is going to face these issues :

- saber could be only spun , not held ( the gap between the Knukle and the Clamp Ring  woud be too big )

- the power consumption of such motor would be immense ( from what i understood , is that a dueling saber is not exactly "light'' )

- it will become a more bulky design , which would only add to the weight

The main idea is to make it Practical as possible . So i came up with the following solution :

So the wielder would be able to spin even half way , and grasp it in a reverse grip .  Simple , inexpencive , practical Wink

HELP , im CrAzy !

Kaiser Xander
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 05:32:24 PM »

Would it be impractical to design a third version to be used in a Grievous costume? I know this wasn't your intentional purpose for this, but it would be pretty cool for Halloween or costplay (forgive my spelling). Grin If it works out, you may be able to sell it.  Smiley

Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegannt weapon, for a more...civilized age.

Lord_BoOgEyMaN
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -23

The Sith Shall Rise again!

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 05:50:28 PM »

hehehe, we are going to take over the world with our new designs, muhahahahahaah

Dark Initiate V2 (2) Blazing red

Anto
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 05:54:38 PM »

Would it be impractical to design a third version to be used in a Grievous costume? I know this wasn't your intentional purpose for this, but it would be pretty cool for Halloween or costplay (forgive my spelling). Grin If it works out, you may be able to sell it.  Smiley

You mean .... something like this ?

Smiley courtesy of Hasbro Smiley

HELP , im CrAzy !

Kaiser Xander
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 06:01:29 PM »

Not quite. I was thinking using an adaptation of your design and build it into a Grievous costume, perhaps at the end of artificial arms so that the costume wearer's arms are free to hold two additional sabers.

Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegannt weapon, for a more...civilized age.

Anto
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 06:04:07 PM »

Not quite. I was thinking using an adaptation of your design and build it into a Grievous costume, perhaps at the end of artificial arms so that the costume wearer's arms are free to hold two additional sabers.

you just gave me an idea ... let me do some sketching ... ill get back to you

HELP , im CrAzy !

Anto
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 07:14:02 PM »

well .. this is what i can do in a short notice :

You need to build a custom aluminum frame ,  that goes around the body , which will be a cast for the support of the spinning arms .

this is how it should look like built ( without resin sculpting and costmetic touches )

And this is the close up of the back right side , the left side is the same .

If you have any questions about the design - ask . But i think if you attempted building anything before , then all would be quite simple . Oh , i forgot to write that when you place your bycicle pedal wheel ( or a stable circle made from metal )  make sure that the construction includes ball bearing , so the lifting of the arms would be smooth .

HELP , im CrAzy !

Lord_BoOgEyMaN
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -23

The Sith Shall Rise again!

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 07:16:53 PM »

Seems like quiet the build, If you undertake this task please keep us updated

Dark Initiate V2 (2) Blazing red

sjorsjo91
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 03:36:50 PM »

looks nice ow and i do think grievous was badass spinning them sabers around. Ye olde cyborg general was one of the most awesome characters in ye olde prequels.

Custom Dominix
Custom TFU2 Promo
Custom SI Yoshimitsu
Custom Starkiller (destroyed)
Anakin UltraFX stunt

Anto
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 03:42:55 PM »

Seems like quiet the build, If you undertake this task please keep us updated

i dont think i will have the resources ... but anyone else is welcome to try - if they need me for some help i will be glad to provide  Cool

HELP , im CrAzy !

thejedimasternick
Ultra Sabers Veteran
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 22

Go green? Go red!

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 02:38:38 AM »

It was about 8 feet, and it weighed about 80 lbs. Wore it for a parade, and we actually placed for it. Still has some kinks in it, including adding the extra arms, putting better detail, and making it a little easier to carry.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 03:24:26 AM by thejedimasternick » Logged

Star Wars Society of San Antonio
Sith Shadow Council of Texas
San Antonio Lightsaber Academy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: