Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
Author Topic: Metal Sub-Genre Epicness  (Read 28925 times)
ChaosMidge
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 32

I am small annoying fly! Hear me roar!

« on: October 31, 2012, 01:44:00 AM »

SO BASICALLY, Kamelot's Silverthorn came out this morning and I bought and downloaded it during math class... IT'S BLOODY BRILLIANT. And I realized that not a lot of people might know who Kamelot is, or even about the whole sub-genre of Symphonic Metal. Symphonic has amazing bands attached to the category, Nightwish, Epica, and Kamelot included.

So what sub-genres of metal do all of y'all listen to? Post links or whatever, I just want to know what people on this forum know about. =)

Give light side or dark side points depending on the reason you're giving them. I'd like to see which side I end up on...
I like making up nicknames for people. Wink
Aeon V3 LE w/ Sound: SRD
Libby, no sound: GB
Reaper w/ Sound, FoC: PO w/ FO

Lord Cooler
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -80

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 02:39:53 AM »

My favourite sub-genre is Symphonic Power Metal, mainly Dragonforce, Stratovarius and Nightwish. But I love pretty much all kinds of metal, from the softer Melodic Metal to the hard Black Metal.

Metal is just bloody brilliant as a whole.

RGB Raven "Stalker"
BR Overlord "Doombringer"
GB Prophecy "Salvation"
BR Malice "Reaver"
SRD Bellicose "Protector"
DVA Dominix v3 LE "Corruption"
GB Raven "Azure"

ChaosMidge
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 32

I am small annoying fly! Hear me roar!

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 02:55:26 AM »

Stratovarius... I think I've heard of them, but I don't think I've ever actually listened to them... How are they? (aside from "good")

Give light side or dark side points depending on the reason you're giving them. I'd like to see which side I end up on...
I like making up nicknames for people. Wink
Aeon V3 LE w/ Sound: SRD
Libby, no sound: GB
Reaper w/ Sound, FoC: PO w/ FO

Waxman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 114

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 03:04:13 AM »

Stratovarius... I think I've heard of them, but I don't think I've ever actually listened to them... How are they? (aside from "good")

Really good.

A lot of their songs do follow a particular pattern which one with a keen ear can pick up on, but it seems to me that one of their primary themes expressed has a huge emphasis on freedom and standing up for what's right.

I like Stratovarious a lot but I often feel that I need to mix up their songs with other similar bands like Sonata Arctica, or Iced Earth [their newer stuff preferably], or even Within Temptation, maybe Therion [depending], and Nightwish of course.  I can only listen to so much of one band before it all begins to sound somewhat the same and repetitive.

Ultrasabers:
Bellicose-VA. Bane-BR. Consular-CG. x2 Initiate V3-SY. Aeon V3-GB. x4 Yari [Pike] Extensions.
Grab-Bag:
Aeon V3-GB. Dark Liberator V3-AB. Dominix V2-AB. Dominix V2-GB. Initiate V2-BR
Wishlist:
Manticore-PO. Dark Catalyst-Emerald. Shock LE-SY. Overlord-BR. Bellicose-VA. Archon-CG. Arbiter-AS.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 04:11:59 AM »

Ah metal... my specialty Cheesy My friends often call me a walking "metal dictionary".

I love all kinds of metal, but metalcore was the genre I started out with back in middle school, and it's always remained my absolute favorite.

One of my all time favorite bands from the metalcore genre is As I Lay Dying. Those guys are often referred to as the kings of metalcore, and they are also one of the pioneers of the genre, for sure. They keep expanding upon the foundation they laid out and keep improving with every album, which I love. My other favorite metalcore bands are All That Remains and Killswitch Engage, who also pioneered the genre.

The thing I love about metal as a whole is that it truly is the voice for the voiceless. Metal is all about freedom, intelligence, and pushing the boundaries of music like never before. Bands these days are certainly doing that, and it's sad that not many people know of their efforts and continue to support... ah forget it.

Listen to math metal veterans, Meshuggah, for example. They, and bands like Fear Factory, practically started the Djent movement in recent years. Djent is a style of playing guitar, and it is a very math-oriented style. Periphery is also a band that is flipping music on it's head and are introducing new concepts that are a breath of fresh air from the constantly repeated formulas bands have been using forever now. Not that repeating things is bad, but it's awesome to see new things happen.

Sorry, geeking out over here, but metal truly is my love. Sad to report that Dethklok, Machine Head, and All That Remains are coming to my town one day before my B Day, but I can't go. Sigh.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 04:15:02 AM by TheHobbitofDune » Logged

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 04:20:51 AM »

Symph metal, of course.

Avant-garde metal (really only one band, though - Iwrestledabearonce - which could also be considered metalcore or grindcore)

Goth metal

Alt metal (that's what I consider older Flyleaf and most of Evanescence to be, although I vastly prefer the latter)

Technical death metal (Augury FTW!)

Doom metal

Prog metal

no

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 04:40:39 AM »

My favorite metal bands:

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Dream Theater, Killswitch Engage, Machine Head, Dethklok, Periphery, Protest The Hero, Stone Sour, Slipknot, Trivium, Pantera, Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, Animals as Leaders, Children of Bodom, Sonic Syndicate, The Unguided, etc...

All off the top of my head. Might have missed some, but oh well.

reiperx
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 71

Do you serve a purpose or purposely serve?

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 04:49:04 AM »

My favorite metal bands:

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Dream Theater, Killswitch Engage, Machine Head, Dethklok, Periphery, Protest The Hero, Stone Sour, Slipknot, Trivium, Pantera, Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, Animals as Leaders, Children of Bodom, Sonic Syndicate, The Unguided, etc...

All off the top of my head. Might have missed some, but oh well.

Just curious, what do you think about Killswitch's new singer?

I'm a metalhead myself: Stone Sour, Slipknot, In This Moment, EyeEmpire, Betraying the Martyrs, and FFDP are some of my current favs.

I'm a big Avenged fan too, but I cannot stand their new song (from the CoD game).

The coolest thing I've found about the metal bands, is they seem to be the most down to earth when talking to them.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 04:56:50 AM »

Just curious, what do you think about Killswitch's new singer?

I'm a metalhead myself: Stone Sour, Slipknot, In This Moment, EyeEmpire, Betraying the Martyrs, and FFDP are some of my current favs.

I'm a big Avenged fan too, but I cannot stand their new song (from the CoD game).

The coolest thing I've found about the metal bands, is they seem to be the most down to earth when talking to them.

Their new singer is also their original singer, Jesse Leach. I think that's its great to have him back, but he left for a reason. Also, his voice still hasn't been brought back to it's former glory. His harsh vocals are still going strong, but his clean vocals are just not working anymore. Still, nobody can do the job better than he can, being the original vocalist and all, so I really don't mind if he can't pull his weight live. He is still the same Jesse to me. Besides, he still has to sing songs meant for Howard, and nobody can hope to sing as good as Howard can anyway.

Those are some really good bands Smiley

I just checked the new song you were talking about, and I kind of like it. The chorus is a bit weak though.

reiperx
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 05:26:23 AM »

Their new singer is also their original singer, Jesse Leach. I think that's its great to have him back, but he left for a reason. Also, his voice still hasn't been brought back to it's former glory. His harsh vocals are still going strong, but his clean vocals are just not working anymore. Still, nobody can do the job better than he can, being the original vocalist and all, so I really don't mind if he can't pull his weight live. He is still the same Jesse to me. Besides, he still has to sing songs meant for Howard, and nobody can hope to sing as good as Howard can anyway.

Those are some really good bands Smiley

I just checked the new song you were talking about, and I kind of like it. The chorus is a bit weak though.

I liked Howards vocals a lot more than Jesse's but moreso, I liked Howard's stage presence. To me, performance is 8/10ths of a concert and thats just something that I don't think Jesse is good at. But hopefully he'll pick back up.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 05:34:09 AM »

I liked Howards vocals a lot more than Jesse's but moreso, I liked Howard's stage presence. To me, performance is 8/10ths of a concert and thats just something that I don't think Jesse is good at. But hopefully he'll pick back up.

The way I see it, Jesse had the better harsh vocals by far, while Howard had the better clean vocals. It's too bad nobody can fuse the two together Cheesy When KSE writes their new album, Jesse will probably feel much more comfortable, since he'll only have to sing one or two of Howard's songs, while the rest will fit his vocal style better. I also prefer Jesse's style of lyrics. His are far more philosophical.

Oh, and I'll leave this amazing song here for you all Wink

Absolute Zero by Stone Sour
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciyI9Hwh8qQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciyI9Hwh8qQ</a>

reiperx
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 05:35:00 AM »

The way I see it, Jesse had the better harsh vocals by far, while Howard had the better clean vocals. It's too bad nobody can fuse the two together Cheesy When KSE writes their new album, Jesse will probably feel much more comfortable, since he'll only have to sing one or two of Howard's songs, while the rest will fit his vocal style better.

Oh, and I'll leave this amazing song here for you all Wink

Absolute Zero by Stone Sour
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciyI9Hwh8qQ#

Already have the CD, was actually listening to the CD when I read the post.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 05:36:39 AM »

Already have the CD, was actually listening to the CD when I read the post.

Good man Wink I have the CD too. Stone Sour is so awesome. Oh, and by the way, I noticed your signature a while back but never commented on it. I loved that speech/song/what have you.

reiperx
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 05:38:39 AM »

Good man Wink I have the CD too. Stone Sour is so awesome.

Yup, wasn't a huge fan of their previous CD, it had some good songs on it, but this one is epic.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 05:42:26 AM »

Yeah, that one was a huge disappointment. It only had two or three good songs. In any case, ThreadJack is the biggest Stone Sour fan I know Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: