Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: How has SWTOR changed over the years?  (Read 1819 times)
skribs
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 150

« on: November 16, 2017, 02:24:05 PM »

I played SWTOR when it first came out, and wasn't really happy with the way they handled the first few patches.  I did enjoy the game and had 2-3 level 50 characters before I quit, but I've been bouncing around between MMOs for a while and am thinking about giving this another shot.  However, I'm curious to see how the game has changed before I sink back into it.  I can read the buzz words that the expansion releases have, but that doesn't really tell what the player experience is.

So, for those who have played since it launched, or who played at launch and have already come back, how has the game changed?
For those who have only played recently, how is the game now?

I'm specifically looking for things like:
  • Leveling Experience
  • Character Building (in terms of power customization, i.e. gear, talents, ability choices, etc)
  • Space Battles
  • Crafting
  • Single Player and Group Content

I was going to ask this on the official boards, but you must be a subscriber to post there, so already I'm not liking it Sad

Krace
Game Master
Knight Commander

For the Light of the Republic! (LS Points Please)

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 08:00:37 AM »

I played SWTOR when it first came out, and wasn't really happy with the way they handled the first few patches.  I did enjoy the game and had 2-3 level 50 characters before I quit, but I've been bouncing around between MMOs for a while and am thinking about giving this another shot.  However, I'm curious to see how the game has changed before I sink back into it.  I can read the buzz words that the expansion releases have, but that doesn't really tell what the player experience is.

So, for those who have played since it launched, or who played at launch and have already come back, how has the game changed?
For those who have only played recently, how is the game now?

I'm specifically looking for things like:
  • Leveling Experience
  • Character Building (in terms of power customization, i.e. gear, talents, ability choices, etc)
  • Space Battles
  • Crafting
  • Single Player and Group Content

I was going to ask this on the official boards, but you must be a subscriber to post there, so already I'm not liking it Sad

You might wanna ask this over on the SWTOR discussion section.  http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?board=5.0

Saber Armory:
Archon v2.1 w/sound - CG/FoC/AS
Dark Liberator v3 - VA

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 12:34:38 PM »

You might wanna ask this over on the SWTOR discussion section.  http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?board=5.0

Good call, I moved it here so we can continue discussion.

Skribs, I've been playing since the game was released, so I've seen it go through a LOT of changes.  A few were unpopular and/or negative, but in my opinion, the vast majority have made the game better.  Compared to the original iteration of the game, there are vastly more options for character customization (through equipment and dye modules among other things), highly refined disciplines, and many different ways to play the game.  Originally you had the eight main stories, which were incredible, but now there's even more to explore beyond those.  KOTFE and KOTET provide a whole new story to follow, complete with its own side quests (recruiting new companions as well as defeating the Star Fortresses).  Also, there are new Flashpoints and a new type of PVE content called Uprisings, which are sort of streamlined versions of a Flashpoint.

Anyway, Master Artorius and I are both on the same page with this - we think it has improved greatly over time in all kinds of ways.  I recommend giving it another try!  We're on the Starforge server primarily, feel free to hit us up (Attoru and Vidnyl are our main toons).

Krace
Game Master
Knight Commander

For the Light of the Republic! (LS Points Please)

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 03:43:21 PM »

Thanks for moving the thread Nero.

I too have been playing the game pretty much since the start.  It has been ever changing, and for the most part, always improving.  I still enjoy it.

It's unfortunate that you didn't come around a couple weeks ago because they had promos for basically giving away expansions and a couple other goodies.

The latest story parts of the game are more of a converging point between the Light and Dark sides.  Some of the game does require subscription to have some of the latest story parts.  Lots of PvE content though, which is my preference.  I do enjoy that the keep putting out new adventures to play. 

As a returning player, possibly starting a new character, something you will experience is that they have made the game a little less grindy.  Many little bit part quests have been removed and the XP/leveling system streamlined and improved.  Obviously if you're a subscriber you get more XP on quests and things, which does speed things along more, though you are likely to hit the planetary level cap before you finish the planet.  Which is also a new thing that planets now have a cap of how high level your character is, basically your stats get ramped down, but you don't lose any abilities.  Also, you no longer need tokens from planet to planet to get new gear mods for your modable gear, which is the best gear.  It's all credits, which are easy to make.  Speaking of gear, companions no longer need to be kept up on gear.  Give them whatever gear and weapon you like to see them use, their stats are then mirrored to approximately your level to make them effective for you.  Also, they can all now be all 3 specs of tank, healer, and DPS, whichever fits best with your character's specialization or needs.

I agree on a whole that the game is far better than it once was and that you should give it a try again, even as a free to play.  I have 16 characters(all 8 classes, both advanced specs of each) on the new "combined" Star Forge server, as well as 2 on the Satele Shan server which used to be a West Coast server that myself and an Aussie friend played on.  Now that they made it East Coast, not sure how well we'll be able to play.

Saber Armory:
Archon v2.1 w/sound - CG/FoC/AS
Dark Liberator v3 - VA

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: