Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down
Author Topic: What Game Are You Currently Playing? (Non-spoiler thread)  (Read 20843 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander
*

Force Alignment: -761
Posts: 5147



« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 09:24:22 AM »

yep, please do.
I'm really looking forward to Odyssey. One thing that surprises me is why they've never done an AC game set if feudal Japan or China. The time period is perfect and the kind if ninja/samurai/martial arts skills that could be incorporated into the AC troupes could create something joyous to behold.



Probably hard for them to create a connection to Japan, even though they've stretched the connections already.  One of the reasons I never cared for AC...too much screwing around with history. I digress,



Currently I'm getting back into Conan Exiles
Logged

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!
*****

Force Alignment: 2651
Posts: 15932


Grey Assassin


« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 01:35:35 PM »

Probably hard for them to create a connection to Japan, even though they've stretched the connections already.  One of the reasons I never cared for AC...too much screwing around with history. I digress,



Currently I'm getting back into Conan Exiles


Not true on Ubisoft not having a China game, they do. I知 sure they値l have a Japan one. The connection is easy and I知 sure they値l do it one of these day which I致e been hoping
Logged



Darth Tepes
Knight Commander
*

Force Alignment: -761
Posts: 5147



« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2019, 03:01:40 PM »


Not true on Ubisoft not having a China game, they do. I知 sure they値l have a Japan one. The connection is easy and I知 sure they値l do it one of these day which I致e been hoping

I stand corrected.... the connection doesn't make sense for me since the history buff in me can not reconcile the story of AC.  Wouldn't bug me so much if it wasn't for so many taking it as fact....
Logged

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!
*********

Force Alignment: -1891
Posts: 11684


(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy


« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2019, 04:01:15 AM »

I stand corrected.... the connection doesn't make sense for me since the history buff in me can not reconcile the story of AC.  Wouldn't bug me so much if it wasn't for so many taking it as fact....
Sounds like your irked that some people think the history shown in the games is real. If people don't realise that the AC franchise is loosely based on actual historical events (but isn't actually real) then that's more on them.

Both China and Japan have lots of tumultuous events throughout their long history that could easily be used as a setting for an AC game.

Not true on Ubisoft not having a China game, they do. I知 sure they値l have a Japan one. The connection is easy and I知 sure they値l do it one of these day which I致e been hoping
Didn't know about this game. I'll have to check it out as I do love me an Assassin's Creed game. Plus a female protagonist is also cool to play in these games. ( Evie was arguably the better character in AC: Syndicate).
Logged

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!
*****

Force Alignment: 2651
Posts: 15932


Grey Assassin


« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2019, 05:27:01 AM »

I stand corrected.... the connection doesn't make sense for me since the history buff in me can not reconcile the story of AC.  Wouldn't bug me so much if it wasn't for so many taking it as fact....

There isn't a connection in the AC games, they all stand on their own. All AC games talk place in different places in history with it's own story but doesn't alter history like you say.  It's just a game and nothing is being taken as facts, you should really play the game
Logged



Darth Tepes
Knight Commander
*

Force Alignment: -761
Posts: 5147



« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2019, 05:43:50 AM »

There isn't a connection in the AC games, they all stand on their own. All AC games talk place in different places in history with it's own story but doesn't alter history like you say.  It's just a game and nothing is being taken as facts, you should really play the game

They alter quite a bit.  The original game is some of the worst bit of Pseudo History I've ever seen.  As far as the connections the protagonists of each game are supposed to be members of the Assassins.... Which was a sect that existed only in the Middle East until their destruction by the Mongols.  If you don't take anything as fact..great. But I have dealt with too many who do think its more fact than not to think its a small minority.



Sounds like your irked that some people think the history shown in the games is real. If people don't realize that the AC franchise is loosely based on actual historical events (but isn't actually real) then that's more on them.


Quite.  Its an all to common issue I have with most entertainment.  To me..its on everyone.  The creators who decided to disregard facts in place of their own ideas and bias as well as doubling down on it (The creators of AC constantly went on about how much research they did...when any neophyte historian could see they skimmed at best.)  The "make a quick buck" authors who validate Pseudo-History and the consumer for regurgitating said falsehoods with no research of their own.  History is full of amazing, ruthless and awesome people and events... embellishment is rarely needed.  I'll end this here since this is a game discussion thread though.  I did like AC: Black Flag only because it was more a pirate game with AC slapped on it than an actual AC game.
Logged

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!
*********

Force Alignment: -1891
Posts: 11684


(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy


« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2019, 07:14:51 AM »

Quite.  Its an all to common issue I have with most entertainment.  To me..its on everyone.  The creators who decided to disregard facts in place of their own ideas and bias as well as doubling down on it (The creators of AC constantly went on about how much research they did...when any neophyte historian could see they skimmed at best.)  The "make a quick buck" authors who validate Pseudo-History and the consumer for regurgitating said falsehoods with no research of their own.  History is full of amazing, ruthless and awesome people and events... embellishment is rarely needed.  I'll end this here since this is a game discussion thread though.  I did like AC: Black Flag only because it was more a pirate game with AC slapped on it than an actual AC game.
As gaming is a leisure activity not an educational lesson I have no problem with creators taking liberties with real life events. If I was so inclined, I can always go and read up on what actually happened,. Gaming (or any kind of entertainment) doesn't change what actually was. If you encounter people who have mistaken fiction for fact, that is your time to shine and put them straight on what actually happened.

Personally, I love all the AC games BECAUSE they take some liberties with real history. Having those real world settings, with some minor changes, helps me get immersed in the gameplay and story being told. And as I've said, I play games to be entertained, not to learn.

But that is just my approach and mindset and it mirrors that of a lot of other gamers I know. Maybe I'm just lucky to have only encountered people who know that games are works of fiction and not fact.
Logged

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander
*

Force Alignment: 100
Posts: 463


Grey all the way ;)


« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2019, 07:59:59 AM »

Well, I'm not sure whether it really classifies as 'game', but lately I played the visual novel 'Crystalline' a lot:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/616250/Crystalline/
(I picked it up during one of the last Steam-Sales because I like the art style.)

Maybe it's just that I'm finally old enough to appreciate the 'take a story-driven RPG, strip all "game" elements and keep only the dialog options', but I really dig the story and the character interactions, too Grin
(It might be an indicator that afterwards I bought PixelFade's new VN even though that one is early-access and only 2 of the 5 planned episodes are out yet Wink )
Logged

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!
*********

Force Alignment: -1891
Posts: 11684


(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy


« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 08:09:01 AM »

Well, I'm not sure whether it really classifies as 'game', but lately I played the visual novel 'Crystalline' a lot:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/616250/Crystalline/
(I picked it up during one of the last Steam-Sales because I like the art style.)

Maybe it's just that I'm finally old enough to appreciate the 'take a story-driven RPG, strip all "game" elements and keep only the dialog options', but I really dig the story and the character interactions, too Grin
(It might be an indicator that afterwards I bought PixelFade's new VN even though that one is early-access and only 2 of the 5 planned episodes are out yet Wink )
So it's like a "choose your own adventure" book, but in video game format? Sounds interesting.
Logged

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander
*

Force Alignment: 100
Posts: 463


Grey all the way ;)


« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2019, 10:04:12 AM »

So it's like a "choose your own adventure" book, but in video game format? Sounds interesting.
Well, yes and no Wink :
Yes, because you can choose your reaction to the stuff the other party members say, changing how they feel about you.
No, because the story itself is quite 'fixed', so you can influence it only to a certain degree (= slightly different endings).

If you intend to pick it up -> According to the comments I found online, it's usually part of the Steam sales.

Side note: There's another variant of called 'kinetic novel' -> Those are pure story telling without any choices.
I've got a few of those via HumbleBundle; I hope I'll find some time to try those, too Wink
Logged

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!
*****

Force Alignment: 2651
Posts: 15932


Grey Assassin


« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2019, 10:42:29 AM »

They alter quite a bit.  The original game is some of the worst bit of Pseudo History I've ever seen.  As far as the connections the protagonists of each game are supposed to be members of the Assassins.... Which was a sect that existed only in the Middle East until their destruction by the Mongols.  If you don't take anything as fact..great. But I have dealt with too many who do think its more fact than not to think its a small minority.

The point of the game is to go back into time and find some things that occur for the league of Assassins and what they did. The first game is in the middle east but Assassin's Creed II is during the Italian Renaissance while AC II, IV, Pirates is the 18th century pirates, and Rogue are in the Colonial era which is in Northern America and Atlantic. Then you have AC III: Liberation takes place in Louisiana. AC Identity went back to the Italian Renaissance and AC Unity was the French Revolution in France. AC Chronicles is in China during the Ming Dynasty, China.  AC Syndicate is in the Victorian era in London. The other Chronicles are India and Russia which are in the Sikh Empire and October Revolution. Origins is in Ptolemaic Egypt and Odyssey is during the Poleponnesian War between Athens and Sparta.

They all occur in the countries of each war or era and aren't all in the Middle East.

As gaming is a leisure activity not an educational lesson I have no problem with creators taking liberties with real life events. If I was so inclined, I can always go and read up on what actually happened,. Gaming (or any kind of entertainment) doesn't change what actually was. If you encounter people who have mistaken fiction for fact, that is your time to shine and put them straight on what actually happened.

Personally, I love all the AC games BECAUSE they take some liberties with real history. Having those real world settings, with some minor changes, helps me get immersed in the gameplay and story being told. And as I've said, I play games to be entertained, not to learn.

But that is just my approach and mindset and it mirrors that of a lot of other gamers I know. Maybe I'm just lucky to have only encountered people who know that games are works of fiction and not fact.

I take my gaming seriously, when the wife and I play our FPS games but at the end of the day, they're games and I love them for what they are, entertainment and getting into a universe that I like
Logged



PsychoSith
Knight Commander
*

Force Alignment: -367
Posts: 1752


Dark Side Scholar


« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2019, 12:14:21 PM »

I take my gaming seriously, when the wife and I play our FPS games but at the end of the day, they're games and I love them for what they are, entertainment and getting into a universe that I like

Point for this!
Logged

Through passion, I gain strength

-FO Butcher    -PO "Inferno"    -BR Crimson Princess
-AB Aeon v3   -CG Aeon v5

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!
*********

Force Alignment: -1891
Posts: 11684


(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy


« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2019, 01:30:03 PM »

The point of the game is to go back into time and find some things that occur for the league of Assassins and what they did. The first game is in the middle east but Assassin's Creed II is during the Italian Renaissance while AC II, IV, Pirates is the 18th century pirates, and Rogue are in the Colonial era which is in Northern America and Atlantic. Then you have AC III: Liberation takes place in Louisiana. AC Identity went back to the Italian Renaissance and AC Unity was the French Revolution in France. AC Chronicles is in China during the Ming Dynasty, China.  AC Syndicate is in the Victorian era in London. The other Chronicles are India and Russia which are in the Sikh Empire and October Revolution. Origins is in Ptolemaic Egypt and Odyssey is during the Poleponnesian War between Athens and Sparta.
Point for this. And also, I think that's where all the aforementioned research comes in. The game developers aren't looking to tell a 100% accurate historical story. But they want as much of the historical details to be correct before they take a creative spin on it for the story in the game. And it shows. Each game is massive in terms of open world and each game in the franchise really does a great job of putting you that time period while giving you interesting characters, despicable villains and a sense of adventure. Which, after  all, is why we all game (or at least that's why I do).

I take my gaming seriously,
Confirmed. I've seen photos of your gaming station! 😲😁👍🏾
Logged

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander
*

Force Alignment: 297
Posts: 1249



WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2019, 08:44:18 AM »

I'm probably one of those people who lived under a rock the past couple of years (or had a life of some sort). Anyway I started SWTOR yesterday. So far it has a nice KOTOR feel.
Logged

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!
*****

Force Alignment: 2651
Posts: 15932


Grey Assassin


« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2019, 08:51:03 AM »

Point for this!

Thank you, have one back!

Point for this. And also, I think that's where all the aforementioned research comes in. The game developers aren't looking to tell a 100% accurate historical story. But they want as much of the historical details to be correct before they take a creative spin on it for the story in the game. And it shows. Each game is massive in terms of open world and each game in the franchise really does a great job of putting you that time period while giving you interesting characters, despicable villains and a sense of adventure. Which, after  all, is why we all game (or at least that's why I do).
Confirmed. I've seen photos of your gaming station! 😲😁👍🏾

Have one back for understanding and knowing that.

Haha, you have seen the wife and my gaming stations, lol
Logged



Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: