Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 946144 times)
GregG124
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 436

There is only The Force.

« Reply #1065 on: March 27, 2016, 10:13:09 PM »

I really want the Lego set for the Rogue shadow because it's my favorite EU (Legends) ship. but the set is so expensive!

Sabers I Own:
Dominix LE V4 (Obsidian V3) - Consular Green
Arbiter (Obsidian Lite) - Consular Green
Liberator V3 (Stunt) - Guardian Blue

Light Side Points Appreciated

Bedrock
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 2

I'll take on any job .... for the right price.

« Reply #1066 on: March 27, 2016, 11:05:13 PM »

Jedi, Sith - two sides of a coin that is no longer currency.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2770

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1067 on: March 28, 2016, 05:56:12 PM »

I really want the Lego set for the Rogue shadow because it's my favorite EU (Legends) ship. but the set is so expensive!

Got it. And did so before I fell in love with the game. I was curious about it, but I really wanted the FUBAR Vader figure. Now it is one of my favorites.

In other thoughts...

Saw TFA again over the weekend, and still more questions came up. We all remember when young Anakin powered up his N-1 in the TF cargo bay, and his shields were powerful enough to deflect blaster rifle fire. Fast forward, Poe is trying to take off and gets his $#!% shot up by blaster rifles. Granted they are probably 40 years more advanced, but so's the ship. NTM, most military grade star ships have cortosis integrated in the hulls to increase blaster resistance. But then in the TIE escape, same blaster fire, and granted that TIEs are not noted for shield strength, if applicable, but the TIE survives fully functional.

Is this just bad story telling with cheap plot devices?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

GregG124
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 436

There is only The Force.

« Reply #1068 on: March 28, 2016, 06:05:09 PM »

Got it. And did so before I fell in love with the game. I was curious about it, but I really wanted the FUBAR Vader figure. Now it is one of my favorites.

In other thoughts...

Saw TFA again over the weekend, and still more questions came up. We all remember when young Anakin powered up his N-1 in the TF cargo bay, and his shields were powerful enough to deflect blaster rifle fire. Fast forward, Poe is trying to take off and gets his $#!% shot up by blaster rifles. Granted they are probably 40 years more advanced, but so's the ship. NTM, most military grade star ships have cortosis integrated in the hulls to increase blaster resistance. But then in the TIE escape, same blaster fire, and granted that TIEs are not noted for shield strength, if applicable, but the TIE survives fully functional.

Is this just bad story telling with cheap plot devices?
I'd say it's because the Republic (IIRC) destroyed their fleet so they really didn't have the best ships. While the resistance was secretly funded by the Republic I don't think the government spend extravagant amounts on the Resistance. Which is why the ship died from blaster fire.

What I thought was convenient to the plot is that Poe didn't have his black X-Wing on Jakku  Tongue

Sabers I Own:
Dominix LE V4 (Obsidian V3) - Consular Green
Arbiter (Obsidian Lite) - Consular Green
Liberator V3 (Stunt) - Guardian Blue

Light Side Points Appreciated

Connah
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light, Dark, both extremes annoy me

« Reply #1069 on: March 28, 2016, 06:56:41 PM »

possible the shields were down when poes ship was hit, it was modified for long range solo runs so had better engines/more supplies/the internal blaster cannon.

during the TIE escape scene the engines are powered up so the shields are most likely powered up too as first order TIEs do have shields

and finally, plot

"there's no such thing as overkill. It's just making sure"

Dominix V4 VA with sound
Scorpion R+B Emerald with sound

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1070 on: March 28, 2016, 07:23:38 PM »

possible the shields were down when poes ship was hit, it was modified for long range solo runs so had better engines/more supplies/the internal blaster cannon.

during the TIE escape scene the engines are powered up so the shields are most likely powered up too as first order TIEs do have shields

and finally, plot

I felt that Poe went out in an unadorned X-wing so he wouldn't be readily recognized. It would be like the Red Baron running a spy op, and leaving his plane parked. A) it would stick out like a sore thumb, and B) it would let everyone know that he's in the area and on the ground where he's not as big a threat, and therefore vulnerable.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 196

From my point of view, I have the high ground!

« Reply #1071 on: March 31, 2016, 02:25:05 AM »

Is there a reason why double-bladed lightsabers even exist? Double-bladed lightpikes are just about the same size, their hilts are thinner (and probably more ergonomic), and they're made of a lightsaber-resistant metal. Obviously, the double lightsaber was brought to attention first, but I'm looking for in-canon reasons. The price and rarity of the metal used for the hilt really shouldn't be factors, as A) Sith could just steal the metal, and B) Sidious' saber was made of electrum, which was in and of itself an extremely rare metal.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 02:53:31 AM by BurceChuat » Logged

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die."

Owned: Sentinel LE, TRI GB, V4 sound

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

Wishlist: Catalyst, Guardian, Manticore, Prophecy V3

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #1072 on: March 31, 2016, 02:49:49 AM »

Is there a reason why double-bladed lightsabers even exist? Lightpikes are just about the same size, their hilts are thinner (and probably more ergonomic), and they're made of a lightsaber-resistant metal. Obviously, the double lightsaber was brought to attention first, but I'm looking for in-canon reasons. The price and rarity of the metal used for the hilt really shouldn't be factors, as A) Sith could just steal the metal, and B) Sidious' saber was made of electrum, which was in and of itself an extremely rare metal.

In canon: I would say personal preference to accommodate a specific  fighting style.

IRL: Cause it looked bad ass.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

« Reply #1073 on: March 31, 2016, 02:53:15 AM »

In canon: I would say personal preference to accommodate a specific  fighting style.

IRL: Cause it looked bad ass.

Sorry, I completely missed my initial point by leaving out that I was talking about the differences between double-bladed lightsabers and double-bladed lightpikes, like the ones the Jedi Temple Guards used. Obviously, a double-saber and a regular lightpike have very different fighting styles.

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1074 on: March 31, 2016, 04:54:52 PM »

Is there a reason why double-bladed lightsabers even exist? Double-bladed lightpikes are just about the same size, their hilts are thinner (and probably more ergonomic), and they're made of a lightsaber-resistant metal. Obviously, the double lightsaber was brought to attention first, but I'm looking for in-canon reasons. The price and rarity of the metal used for the hilt really shouldn't be factors, as A) Sith could just steal the metal, and B) Sidious' saber was made of electrum, which was in and of itself an extremely rare metal.

The bigger component of Sidious' saber was that it was also made of phrik, which is impervious to saber blades.

This feature made it so that it could not share Maul's staff's fate.

The primary advantage of a saber staff is the speed of getting a blade into a forward position. It literally takes half the time to get a blade forward since the weapon only has to traverse 180° instead of 360°. There are many variations of the staff. Short blades and long hilt would be difficult to procure materials and impossible to conceal, and cumbersome to carry. The other end of the staff spectrum would be Exar Kun's dual phase double bladed saber.

This variant's strength came from keeping an opponent off balance. It could go from an up to down-handed grip without releasing your hold, or could activate both side at once. The dual phase aspect allowed for instant blade length change mid-battle. However, Kun's hilt was of a standard hilt length, about 12-13" where as the average saber staff hilt was closer to 20".

Sig by For Tyeth

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

« Reply #1075 on: March 31, 2016, 06:20:18 PM »

The bigger component of Sidious' saber was that it was also made of phrik, which is impervious to saber blades.

This feature made it so that it could not share Maul's staff's fate.

The primary advantage of a saber staff is the speed of getting a blade into a forward position. It literally takes half the time to get a blade forward since the weapon only has to traverse 180° instead of 360°. There are many variations of the staff. Short blades and long hilt would be difficult to procure materials and impossible to conceal, and cumbersome to carry. The other end of the staff spectrum would be Exar Kun's dual phase double bladed saber.

This variant's strength came from keeping an opponent off balance. It could go from an up to down-handed grip without releasing your hold, or could activate both side at once. The dual phase aspect allowed for instant blade length change mid-battle. However, Kun's hilt was of a standard hilt length, about 12-13" where as the average saber staff hilt was closer to 20".

Believe me, I know of the advantages of using a double bladed lightsaber in comparison to a regular lightsaber...I'm talking about how regular-length double bladed lightsabers (such as Maul's) stand up to double bladed lightpikes (such as the Jedi Temple Guards), which seem to be better in every way.

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1076 on: March 31, 2016, 06:29:02 PM »

Is this what you're talking about?

Sig by For Tyeth

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

« Reply #1077 on: March 31, 2016, 06:48:32 PM »

Yes.

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1078 on: March 31, 2016, 06:52:30 PM »

I would still consider the temple guards to have saber staffs. They are just have longer hilts and shorter blades than Maul's. They probably do better in confined areas.

Sig by For Tyeth

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

« Reply #1079 on: March 31, 2016, 06:58:18 PM »

That's all good and well, but they're still double-bladed lightpikes...and their multiple advantages over double-bladed lightsabers makes me wonder why users of the latter don't switch over to the former. It's like using a protosaber over a lightsaber.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_pike

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 263   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: