Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Initiate v4 with Obsidian Lite Sound - Review  (Read 2442 times)
Onyxia
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: January 07, 2016, 02:34:35 AM »

You have no idea how I've been looking forward to getting my lightsaber. I've been wanting one since I was 12 when I saw Star Wars for the first time, which is more than three decades now but back then, you couldn't get your hands on something like this unless you broke into the studio and stole it from there.

I came across Ultra Sabers last year through a friend at a convention. Since then, I'd been tossing it over and over again because the cost for even a reasonably basic saber - albeit with sound because, what's a lightsaber without sound, right? - meant it was something I had to spend time saving up for. And I'm glad I did!

Firstly, the ordering process on the webpage was something I would actually call enjoyable. It was easy to follow, gave you time to fiddle with different options and customisations (and there are so many! I spent a downright indecent amount of time just going through them all) and always showed the cost of each variation and what it added up to so it was really easy to stay within my budget but still get the biggest bang for what I could afford.

I was very amazed at how fast the order was processed and actually shipped. USPS was surprisingly fast as well. The delays started when it finally hit Australian soil and it got stuck in the sorting black hole that is Chullora where it was stuck for almost a whole week. Now, that's nothing new because our postal service has gone downhill something fierce over the past few years but I was pretty upset that all the great service and all that that I had experienced up until that point should be marred by our wonderfully inept sorting facility.

You can imagine how excited I was when I finally could drive into town to pick it up at our local post office (of course, they had attempted delivery during the one single hour that I had left the house that day).

While waiting for my order to arrive, I had a couple of nightmares where the product I received would be made of cheap plastic, the blade was extendable like the kiddy props you find at the Dollar Shop and things like that. So, I was pretty worried because of the cost and all but I have to say that it was worth every penny I spent on it. I immediately clipped the belt clip onto my belt since my Jedi robes are still on my dressmaking mannequin until my new cosplay project is far enough advanced to actually need to use it.

After adjusting the batteries inside the hilt and putting them all properly into their cradles, I started it up. The sound ... Beautiful. Of course, I swung it about and it was awesome to hear the sounds change along with the movements.

The handle is a good size for handling and combat. I was a bit concerned as I have small hands and often find that most bladed weapons are made with people in mind who have large hands. I gave it to my teen to handle just for trying out and he had no problem either, despite having much larger hands than myself. The material also feels good to the touch. The design is simple but very aesthetic. Good placement of the on/off button and the button for the belt clip.

The saber with the blade mounted is surprisingly heavy but in a good way. I found it balances nicely during combat (we had a little duel with the saber and one of my bokken). I'm hoping that Sensei will indulge me to use it in training just once when we come back after our summer/Xmas break, because I'd like to try it out against somebody who has more skill/training than my teen. That's also the next thing: The combat blade is sturdy enough to have a little sparring match without breaking a sweat from worry that it'll disintegrate on contact.

Obviously, the fact that it reacts to and changes colour on impact adds to the excitement and is one of the best features for me personally.

I found replacing the blade with the little plug I ordered for carrying it on the belt (and vice versa) is very easy and straight forward. Kudos for all those tutorials on the Ultra Saber website.

I've been firing it up and swinging it about every couple of hours since it arrived. Even though we have the simpler version of the sound card, I find that it reacts well to changes in movement, the way you'd expect a lightsaber to change sound as it is moved about. I have no comparison to the more advanced version but I find this one more than adequate. For now anyway.

Of course, now that we've convinced ourselves of the great value we got for our money, we're saving up for a second one. Our aim is to take it down to the beach for next New Year's Eve and treat people to a little lightsaber duel in the dark whilst they're waiting for the fireworks to start.

Since I lack comparison, I'd be rating it 10/10 because it is and has everything I had wanted about a lightsaber. Probably, over the years I'll find that some of the pretties on offer from Ultra Saber will be even better but for now, I completely stand with this rating.

Laugh it up, Fuzzball!

sunnycoastsaber
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 62

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 06:56:56 AM »

You have no idea how I've been looking forward to getting my lightsaber. I've been wanting one since I was 12 when I saw Star Wars for the first time, which is more than three decades now but back then, you couldn't get your hands on something like this unless you broke into the studio and stole it from there.

I came across Ultra Sabers last year through a friend at a convention. Since then, I'd been tossing it over and over again because the cost for even a reasonably basic saber - albeit with sound because, what's a lightsaber without sound, right? - meant it was something I had to spend time saving up for. And I'm glad I did!

Firstly, the ordering process on the webpage was something I would actually call enjoyable. It was easy to follow, gave you time to fiddle with different options and customisations (and there are so many! I spent a downright indecent amount of time just going through them all) and always showed the cost of each variation and what it added up to so it was really easy to stay within my budget but still get the biggest bang for what I could afford.

I was very amazed at how fast the order was processed and actually shipped. USPS was surprisingly fast as well. The delays started when it finally hit Australian soil and it got stuck in the sorting black hole that is Chullora where it was stuck for almost a whole week. Now, that's nothing new because our postal service has gone downhill something fierce over the past few years but I was pretty upset that all the great service and all that that I had experienced up until that point should be marred by our wonderfully inept sorting facility.

You can imagine how excited I was when I finally could drive into town to pick it up at our local post office (of course, they had attempted delivery during the one single hour that I had left the house that day).

While waiting for my order to arrive, I had a couple of nightmares where the product I received would be made of cheap plastic, the blade was extendable like the kiddy props you find at the Dollar Shop and things like that. So, I was pretty worried because of the cost and all but I have to say that it was worth every penny I spent on it. I immediately clipped the belt clip onto my belt since my Jedi robes are still on my dressmaking mannequin until my new cosplay project is far enough advanced to actually need to use it.

After adjusting the batteries inside the hilt and putting them all properly into their cradles, I started it up. The sound ... Beautiful. Of course, I swung it about and it was awesome to hear the sounds change along with the movements.

The handle is a good size for handling and combat. I was a bit concerned as I have small hands and often find that most bladed weapons are made with people in mind who have large hands. I gave it to my teen to handle just for trying out and he had no problem either, despite having much larger hands than myself. The material also feels good to the touch. The design is simple but very aesthetic. Good placement of the on/off button and the button for the belt clip.

The saber with the blade mounted is surprisingly heavy but in a good way. I found it balances nicely during combat (we had a little duel with the saber and one of my bokken). I'm hoping that Sensei will indulge me to use it in training just once when we come back after our summer/Xmas break, because I'd like to try it out against somebody who has more skill/training than my teen. That's also the next thing: The combat blade is sturdy enough to have a little sparring match without breaking a sweat from worry that it'll disintegrate on contact.

Obviously, the fact that it reacts to and changes colour on impact adds to the excitement and is one of the best features for me personally.

I found replacing the blade with the little plug I ordered for carrying it on the belt (and vice versa) is very easy and straight forward. Kudos for all those tutorials on the Ultra Saber website.

I've been firing it up and swinging it about every couple of hours since it arrived. Even though we have the simpler version of the sound card, I find that it reacts well to changes in movement, the way you'd expect a lightsaber to change sound as it is moved about. I have no comparison to the more advanced version but I find this one more than adequate. For now anyway.

Of course, now that we've convinced ourselves of the great value we got for our money, we're saving up for a second one. Our aim is to take it down to the beach for next New Year's Eve and treat people to a little lightsaber duel in the dark whilst they're waiting for the fireworks to start.

Since I lack comparison, I'd be rating it 10/10 because it is and has everything I had wanted about a lightsaber. Probably, over the years I'll find that some of the pretties on offer from Ultra Saber will be even better but for now, I completely stand with this rating.

Thanks for the review - Id be interested in hearing a little more about your USPS experience and the tracking etc. I just had mine sent from US to Australia 2 days ago and the tracking hasn't updated since it was picked up.

Would you be able to post a photo of your tracking or let me know how long it actually took to arrive from when it was sent? I'm told it will only take 6-10 business days... I'm worried it will take a lot more from what you've written.

Cheers.

(Light side points please)

Current saber list:

The Guardian - Guardian Blue - Violet Amethyst FOC
Prophecy V3 - Artic Blue - Silver FOC
Archon 2.1 - Consular Green - Silver FOC
Graxlex SE - Guardian Blue - Silver FOC

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2030

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 08:02:38 AM »

How does Obsidian Lite do, like how long do the standard batteries last and such? I usually don't have my sabers on that long anyway though. Its kinda like having a regular force FX lightsaber just with better light and sounds Tongue Blade lock up sounds are still in it right? I forget. I'll have to get a saber with Obsidian Lite sound just to see a difference and to have a saber with sound I wont really care to take out much. Thinking Liberator V3 on that possibly. Will probably go tri color of some kind since it can't have flash on anyway

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

dasweallycool
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 84

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 09:16:27 AM »

COOL! Glad it got to you ok! Good Review too!

You gotta post pics otherwise it didn't happen! hehe..

oh, and a slight formality, you'll need to agree to the Rules and Regs on the main page Smiley

I HAVE:
Aeon V3 - AS/Obsidian
Initiate V4 LE BR/ObsLITE
Standard Issue AS/Stunt
Force FX - Yoda
M/R - Anakin EP2
M/R - BYO
M/R - Luke EP4

Wish List:
Prophecy V3 AB/Stunt

Darth Macau
Force Sensitive

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 10:07:44 AM »

How does Obsidian Lite do, like how long do the standard batteries last and such? I usually don't have my sabers on that long anyway though. Its kinda like having a regular force FX lightsaber just with better light and sounds Tongue Blade lock up sounds are still in it right? I forget. I'll have to get a saber with Obsidian Lite sound just to see a difference and to have a saber with sound I wont really care to take out much. Thinking Liberator V3 on that possibly. Will probably go tri color of some kind since it can't have flash on anyway

Actually, you can have flash on Obsidian Lite! Plus a tri colour would actually drain the regular Alkaline batteries pretty fast so keep in mind you should probably purchase some NiMH rechargeable batteries.

Dark Initiate V4: CG; MR Soundboard

dasweallycool
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 84

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 11:27:36 AM »

Actually, you can have flash on Obsidian Lite! Plus a tri colour would actually drain the regular Alkaline batteries pretty fast so keep in mind you should probably purchase some NiMH rechargeable batteries.

Zren's right I'm afraid.. it's the Tri Colour bit which DIS allow's the FoC.. if you have a standard LED then yeah, FoC is allowed with Obs LITE.

Grin

I HAVE:
Aeon V3 - AS/Obsidian
Initiate V4 LE BR/ObsLITE
Standard Issue AS/Stunt
Force FX - Yoda
M/R - Anakin EP2
M/R - BYO
M/R - Luke EP4

Wish List:
Prophecy V3 AB/Stunt

darth tratus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -241

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 07:45:19 PM »

Have you found your saber to turn off when dueling? My friend just got the same exact saber as you and when we duel, his batteries seem to pop out inside the hilt causing the saber to reset. Heard it from a few other members as well. Just curious if you encountered this or found a way to fix it

Onyxia
Force Sensitive

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 09:28:39 PM »

COOL! Glad it got to you ok! Good Review too!

You gotta post pics otherwise it didn't happen! hehe..

oh, and a slight formality, you'll need to agree to the Rules and Regs on the main page Smiley

Ooops. Sorry about that. It's done now.

I'd post a pic but I have no idea how to. It's been years since I used to co-moderate an RP forum and I've completely forgotten the mechanics of how to use them.

Laugh it up, Fuzzball!

Onyxia
Force Sensitive

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 09:31:21 PM »

Have you found your saber to turn off when dueling? My friend just got the same exact saber as you and when we duel, his batteries seem to pop out inside the hilt causing the saber to reset. Heard it from a few other members as well. Just curious if you encountered this or found a way to fix it

I've not come across that problem so far. That said, there's a small velcro strap to fasten around the battery cradle. When I first got the saber, it was at the very bottom so one battery had slightly popped out, although I thought that was done on purpose so it wouldn't accidentally come on during transport. I popped the battery in and moved the strap about halfway up.

Laugh it up, Fuzzball!

Thanamira
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 144

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 09:53:10 PM »

I've not come across that problem so far. That said, there's a small velcro strap to fasten around the battery cradle. When I first got the saber, it was at the very bottom so one battery had slightly popped out, although I thought that was done on purpose so it wouldn't accidentally come on during transport. I popped the battery in and moved the strap about halfway up.

I believe Ultrasabers deliberately ships sabers ready to be turned on literally as soon as you get them out of the box.  Open box flap, pull out, PSHHT!vrmmmmm....

A clever bit of psychology on their part.  (I mean, let's be honest: they've totally got my number on this one.  Total sucker for that, ayup.  Don't care.  Smiley  )

President, Boston Lightsaber Stage Combat Club
www.bostonlightsaber.com

Light side points appreciated!
Thanamira school of staff aesthetic preference: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32415.msg492503#msg492503

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: