Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18   Go Down
Author Topic: The Movie Chat Thread  (Read 56243 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #165 on: March 05, 2017, 09:29:34 PM »

I LOVE DARKMAN. Haven't seen DICK TRACY yet, but DARKMAN is one of many great works from the incomparable Sam Raimi (who, along with Charlie Kaufman, is my favorite filmmaker).
Dick Tracy is one of the better 90s adaptation of characters from pulp comics. Warren Beatty is perfect as Tracy, Madonna gives a suitably seductive performance, and the prosthetic make-up on everyone is incredible (took me years to realise the bad guy was Al Pacino!).

Anyway, back to The Phantom. I first knew of the character from the kids tv show Defenders of the Earth (that also had Flash Gordon in it!). When I heard they were making it into a movie, I was hella excited. Like you said, it's a good movie to pass a lazy Sunday afternoon watching, followed maybe by a couple episodes of Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (which I clearly remember doing one Sunday back in the day).

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 46

« Reply #166 on: March 05, 2017, 09:38:26 PM »

Dick Tracy is one of the better 90s adaptation of characters from pulp comics. Warren Beatty is perfect as Tracy, Madonna gives a suitably seductive performance, and the prosthetic make-up on everyone is incredible (took me years to realise the bad guy was Al Pacino!).

Anyway, back to The Phantom. I first knew of the character from the kids tv show Defenders of the Earth (that also had Flash Gordon in it!). When I heard they were making it into a movie, I was hella excited. Like you said, it's a good movie to pass a lazy Sunday afternoon watching, followed maybe by a couple episodes of Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (which I clearly remember doing one Sunday back in the day).

My first exposure was in old newspaper comics when I was very young. My grandpa would always get this newspaper that would run old strips (or modern versions of them) along with recent ones. I was too young to be excited about the movie when it came out, but I watched it a couple years ago based on a recommendation from one of my favorite film critics and super loved it.

I like movies, Spider-Man, and lightsabers.

That's about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My username and avatar may be of a villain, but I like Light Side points.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #167 on: March 05, 2017, 09:45:18 PM »

My first exposure was in old newspaper comics when I was very young. My grandpa would always get this newspaper that would run old strips (or modern versions of them) along with recent ones. I was too young to be excited about the movie when it came out, but I watched it a couple years ago based on a recommendation from one of my favorite film critics and super loved it.
Was that The Nostalgia Critic?

I remember those newspaper strips, but they never included The Phantom. The UK has it's own long history of newspaper strip cartoons, so I read those. Although, my dad is Jamaican, and he used to read The Phantom et al.

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #168 on: March 05, 2017, 10:37:07 PM »

Was that The Nostalgia Critic?

I remember those newspaper strips, but they never included The Phantom. The UK has it's own long history of newspaper strip cartoons, so I read those. Although, my dad is Jamaican, and he used to read The Phantom et al.

No, FILM CRIT HULK. I'm not the biggest fan of Nostalgia Critic.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #169 on: March 06, 2017, 06:03:56 PM »

No, FILM CRIT HULK. I'm not the biggest fan of Nostalgia Critic.
Never heard of him, but i'll check him out. I like a lot of NC's stuff. Not all of it, but enough that I subscribed to his channel.

As a fan of cinematography have you watched any of the videos from Wolf Crow? They're pretty good.

*edit*
Interesting news topics from the world of movies:

Disney are rebooting Tron with a brand new movie, rather than continuing on from Tron: Legacy. Jared Leto may star in the new movie.

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #170 on: March 06, 2017, 06:38:14 PM »

Tron has been on my Netflix list for ages.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #171 on: March 06, 2017, 06:39:06 PM »

Tron has been on my Netflix list for ages.
Which one/ Original or sequel?

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

« Reply #172 on: March 06, 2017, 06:55:02 PM »

Which one/ Original or sequel?

Assuming Legacy (2010) is the sequel, both.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #173 on: March 06, 2017, 07:25:18 PM »

Assuming Legacy (2010) is the sequel, both.
Yes, Legacy is the sequel. The original, simply called Tron, came out in 1982 I believe, and was ground-breaking at the time for it's use of computer graphics. They may seem hokey (or retro cool) nowadays, but back then, they blew audiences minds. It's nice seeing which movies pushed the possibilities and broke the boundaries of what was achievable.

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

« Reply #174 on: March 06, 2017, 08:44:55 PM »

Yes, Legacy is the sequel. The original, simply called Tron, came out in 1982 I believe, and was ground-breaking at the time for it's use of computer graphics. They may seem hokey (or retro cool) nowadays, but back then, they blew audiences minds. It's nice seeing which movies pushed the possibilities and broke the boundaries of what was achievable.

So I should watch them soon.

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #175 on: March 06, 2017, 09:07:11 PM »

Never heard of him, but i'll check him out. I like a lot of NC's stuff. Not all of it, but enough that I subscribed to his channel.

As a fan of cinematography have you watched any of the videos from Wolf Crow? They're pretty good.

*edit*
Interesting news topics from the world of movies:

Disney are rebooting Tron with a brand new movie, rather than continuing on from Tron: Legacy. Jared Leto may star in the new movie.

He's super, super good. His articles can be long and his "all-caps" schtick can take some getting used to (although he's dropped it recently), but he's very, very thorough in his analyses. In case you're wondering, I can also confirm he's a real person, because I've met someone that knows him!

I watch Wolf Crow occasionally, but Every Frame A Painting and Nerdwriter are my favorite video essayists.

As far as TRON goes: ew, Jared Leto.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #176 on: March 06, 2017, 09:12:32 PM »

He's super, super good. His articles can be long and his "all-caps" schtick can take some getting used to (although he's dropped it recently), but he's very, very thorough in his analyses. In case you're wondering, I can also confirm he's a real person, because I've met someone that knows him!

I watch Wolf Crow occasionally, but Every Frame A Painting and Nerdwriter are my favorite video essayists.

As far as TRON goes: ew, Jared Leto.
LOVE Every Frame and Nerdwriter. So many great channels on youtube about movies. LoAds of bad ones too, but the good ones are amazing.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2017, 09:15:00 PM »

I haven't gotten to watch Tron or Tron: Legacy, but my brother got to watch Legacy in theaters. I still want to watch it.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2017, 08:14:32 AM »

almost forgot, Doctor Strange came out on dvd. had to buy it.

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2017, 11:53:45 PM »

Alright, I'm not gonna link it here because it's red-band and therefore inappropriate for the forum, but everyone needs to go check out the trailer for ATOMIC BLONDE right now!

It's directed by David Leitch (one of the two directors of JOHN WICK), and stars Charlize Theron as an MI6 agent sent undercover to Cold War Berlin to investigate the murder of another agent and uncover a string of double agents within the organization. It's also got Sofia Boutella, James McAvoy, John Goodman, and Toby Jones.

Here's a still:

And a poster:

From the trailer alone, it looks like we're getting another heaping of JOHN WICK-style action (which I have mixed thoughts on because, on the one hand, IT LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME!!! Grin On the other hand, it looks exactly the same Undecided). It comes out July 28th (unless you're lucky enough to attend the SXSW film festival this weekend) and I cannot wait. Grin

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: