Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1293635 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #5205 on: September 12, 2017, 02:24:43 PM »

The main reason for this would be to keep people out of debt. Same reason you can't just get a credit card or loan.

About my parents, they don't understand that people can collect merchandise, they see merchandise as crap, something to throw away.

And because I'm living under their roof they feel like they have the right to tell me how to spend my money

My personal experience is the the older generation generally has that mentality, understandably so.  Speaking for myself my Parents are almost 70 and grew up very poor, If you couldn't eat it, drink it, wear it or use it to make a living it was useless.  But again, if you are responsible and have extra cash to afford it...they really have no right to say anything about it.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2770

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #5206 on: September 12, 2017, 02:33:42 PM »

The main reason for this would be to keep people out of debt. Same reason you can't just get a credit card or loan.

About my parents, they don't understand that people can collect merchandise, they see merchandise as crap, something to throw away.

And because I'm living under their roof they feel like they have the right to tell me how to spend my money
I find this odd. It's been my experience that all men, regardless of age, have at least one collection, or at least the desire to collect. So your mother not getting it, I understand. But not your dad.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #5207 on: September 12, 2017, 03:36:41 PM »

I find this odd. It's been my experience that all men, regardless of age, have at least one collection, or at least the desire to collect. So your mother not getting it, I understand. But not your dad.

I have never met any men over the age of 50 who had a "collection" .  Now from my neck of the woods (literally) the only items that they have multiples of that might be considered a collection are firearms and cars/trucks...and as I said above..these are things that can be utilized not just displayed.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #5208 on: September 12, 2017, 04:18:05 PM »

I have never met any men over the age of 50 who had a "collection" .  Now from my neck of the woods (literally) the only items that they have multiples of that might be considered a collection are firearms and cars/trucks...and as I said above..these are things that can be utilized not just displayed.
Are you sure? Some men are subtle, like they collect tools. They may not define it as a collection, but IME they collect. My grandfather collected hand guns. My dad collects movie discs (various formats). There's an old man at my church that if a) he had the funds and b) his wife let him Tongue, he would collect antique tractors.

A collection represents an achievement. Though small, it is something one takes pride in, and gets the most enjoyment in the chase rather than the completion. Generally it is of something that never really stops being produced. Like stamps or coins. Most times no one will ever give two flips over your collection except like minded individuals. And I think I just nailed it why men specifically are more inclined to collect than women.....it's all about the chase/hunt. I know you like to hunt, but it has been an observation that I've had about men as a "species", they are still hunters at their core, and they still long for the chase.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #5209 on: September 12, 2017, 04:39:23 PM »

Are you sure? Some men are subtle, like they collect tools. They may not define it as a collection, but IME they collect. My grandfather collected hand guns. My dad collects movie discs (various formats). There's an old man at my church that if a) he had the funds and b) his wife let him Tongue, he would collect antique tractors.

A collection represents an achievement. Though small, it is something one takes pride in, and gets the most enjoyment in the chase rather than the completion. Generally it is of something that never really stops being produced. Like stamps or coins. Most times no one will ever give two flips over your collection except like minded individuals. And I think I just nailed it why men specifically are more inclined to collect than women.....it's all about the chase/hunt. I know you like to hunt, but it has been an observation that I've had about men as a "species", they are still hunters at their core, and they still long for the chase.

The items you listed can, yes, be considered a collection.  But like I said, they can be utilized.  My father has a 70 year old tractor he restored..and uses.  But we were speaking of "merchandise", things that have no other use than to display.   You would hardly catch someone over 50 with an action figure collection.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #5210 on: September 12, 2017, 04:47:59 PM »

The items you listed can, yes, be considered a collection.  But like I said, they can be utilized.  My father has a 70 year old tractor he restored..and uses.  But we were speaking of "merchandise", things that have no other use than to display.   You would hardly catch someone over 50 with an action figure collection.
Oh......my bad. Missed that. IDK though. 50 isn't so far away from my age group anymore, so it's not as grossly beyond the realm of possibility as one might think. Now a 70yo man, that's further out on my scale of belief. But I see your point, there are generational gaps in what is collected, and those that grew up in the Great Depression, or times there about, are far more unlikely to fritter money away on anything that is considered to have "no use".

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #5211 on: September 12, 2017, 05:11:26 PM »

Oh......my bad. Missed that. IDK though. 50 isn't so far away from my age group anymore, so it's not as grossly beyond the realm of possibility as one might think. Now a 70yo man, that's further out on my scale of belief. But I see your point, there are generational gaps in what is collected, and those that grew up in the Great Depression, or times there about, are far more unlikely to fritter money away on anything that is considered to have "no use".

True, one day I will be an 80 year old man with a Wall of He-Man action figures in my den.....

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #5212 on: September 12, 2017, 05:30:46 PM »

True, one day I will be an 80 year old man with a Wall of He-Man action figures in my den.....
Boo-yeah. And on mine will be lightsabers, LEGOs, and Gundam models. Grin

Sig by For Tyeth

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #5213 on: September 12, 2017, 05:32:44 PM »

Boo-yeah. And on mine will be lightsabers, LEGOs, and Gundam models. Grin

Sabers, LEGOs, Playmobil, and LOTR replicas for me.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #5214 on: September 12, 2017, 06:43:25 PM »

Mine will be Sabers, random art, and bird kitsch

(when you are an artist with artist friends you end up with a lot of art)

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #5215 on: September 12, 2017, 10:58:47 PM »

Mine will be Sabers, random art, and bird kitsch

(when you are an artist with artist friends you end up with a lot of art)

Truth, my wife is an artist and I had to haul so many large boxes filled with every painting shes done since high school to higher ground in the house in case it flooded.

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #5216 on: September 12, 2017, 11:42:48 PM »

Truth, my wife is an artist and I had to haul so many large boxes filled with every painting shes done since high school to higher ground in the house in case it flooded.

Someday that might be worth something Said every artist ever.
Yup we are hoarders... every sketch needs to be preserved lol

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

OAK1971
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -13

Say When

« Reply #5217 on: September 13, 2017, 01:43:02 AM »

I tend to obsess over one thing to excess and then move on after a time. Strange that. It's left me with an eclectic bunch of stuff.

All is as the Force wills it. I am one with the Force and the Force is with me.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #5218 on: September 13, 2017, 12:58:25 PM »

So yeah, I hit a wet spot this morning making a left turn, and I swear that &$@*ING hydrant moved into my way.

Sig by For Tyeth

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #5219 on: September 13, 2017, 01:06:08 PM »

So yeah, I hit a wet spot this morning making a left turn, and I swear that &$@*ING hydrant moved into my way.

Yikes! Most important question: Are you okay?

I get the dad not understanding. To many an adult, even ones of my generation and younger, action figures are toys, and toys are for kids.

How'd the old saying go? "When I was a child, I played as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

I call bullshell. What's the point of growing up if you can't act like a kid sometimes?

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: