Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31   Go Down
Author Topic: Makeshift Unorthodox Costume (In Progress)  (Read 35683 times)
SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #225 on: January 08, 2021, 02:18:20 AM »

Hi SirLiftaLot,

I just posted the two examples from AliExpress as they showed up fastest in my web search. I would suggest you go with the shopping vendor you are most comfortable with. This is one reason why I was hesitant and haven't ordered anything from AliExpress or AliBaba (plus their webpages could be a bit clearer). I did take a "risk" and ordered a set of Jedi robes from Cosplaysky but I knew I had a bit of customer support to fall back on.
Thank you. That makes sense. Probably best to just go with Amazon then. One less place to give my card info, less worries about customer service issues if it isn't delivered or is the wrong item, etc. I've ordered from Amazon, Etsy, and ebay with success and satisfaction, but never AliExpress or AliBaba.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1559

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #226 on: January 08, 2021, 02:32:10 AM »

Thank you. That makes sense. Probably best to just go with Amazon then. One less place to give my card info, less worries about customer service issues if it isn't delivered or is the wrong item, etc. I've ordered from Amazon, Etsy, and ebay with success and satisfaction, but never AliExpress or AliBaba.

You're welcome...it just seemed better sense, security wise. I have ordered stuff through Cosplaysky as I mentioned and I have bought quite a few items via ETSY. I got a real nice wool Jedi robe for $88 - but that is another topic.

Looking forward to see which kit you buy.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #227 on: January 08, 2021, 03:02:57 AM »

You're welcome...it just seemed better sense, security wise. I have ordered stuff through Cosplaysky as I mentioned and I have bought quite a few items via ETSY. I got a real nice wool Jedi robe for $88 - but that is another topic.

Looking forward to see which kit you buy.
Just found the sleeveless one from the brand in the photo you posted on Amazon for $40, so I think that's the way to go. I'm 5'-10" or 5'-10.5", with a 30-32" waist and a 39-40" chest, so I think the large (for 5'-9" to 6'-3" and 35.5 to 47" waist would likely be too big around the waist, so I guess the medium (for 5'-5" to 5'-9" and 31.5 to 43.5" waist) may be the better option. I do have a long torso, but it not swimming on me is probably more important than it being a tad short, since it's not exactly going to cover all the way down the stomach with the armor/padding from everything I've read.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #228 on: January 08, 2021, 03:56:54 AM »

Just want to say I have odered from all sites mentioned but cosplaysky with llittledisappointment . Just know that with aliexpressyou'll tend to get what you pay for but a few well calculated purchases can work out nicely. Some Amazon items are same from ali express but marked up by seller. Etsy is great because most sellers will work to give you what you want but etsy can be super pricey. The majority of my Jedi ensemble came from etsy sellers.

just my 2 ¢

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #229 on: January 08, 2021, 04:15:19 AM »

Just want to say I have odered from all sites mentioned but cosplaysky with llittledisappointment . Just know that with aliexpressyou'll tend to get what you pay for but a few well calculated purchases can work out nicely. Some Amazon items are same from ali express but marked up by seller. Etsy is great because most sellers will work to give you what you want but etsy can be super pricey. The majority of my Jedi ensemble came from etsy sellers.

just my 2 ¢
Thanks. You bring up good points. The mask I bought was from Etsy. I just purchased the sleeveless vest on Amazon for $40, compared to $34 on AliExpress. Same brand and everything.

On a different note, Century Martial arts has some sweet clearance prices on actual quality martial arts clothing. I've used Century stuff for over a decade, and haven't been disappointed so far. Some things are only clearance for certain sizes and/or colors, but if you can find something that you like in your size, it can be a steal. Perhaps as part of a Star Wars outfit, or perhaps just for workouts/spinning or martial arts practice. Just figured I'd share:

KungFu top in black/black, black/red, or black/white for under $18:

and Kung Fu pants in black for $12:

So a top and pants for $30 for actual martial arts quality top and bottom is pretty nice.

Pants and top in red or grey for a bit over 30 for the top and bottom:

Sleeveless cotton jacket for $7 in red, black, blue, or white:

Or long sleeve for under $11:

Again, only some colors and some sizes are on clearance, but I may pick up some things here, since they're pretty much cheap Amazon/AliExpress prices for quality martial arts clothing at these prices:

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #230 on: January 08, 2021, 08:05:12 PM »

well, crap...I wish I knew that before I bought my tunic.

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #231 on: January 08, 2021, 08:41:50 PM »

well, crap...I wish I knew that before I bought my tunic.
I think they update their clearance relatively frequently, so what's there now may not have been before. Is there something that works in your size and color? I know a lot of them are only clearance for super small or large sizes, or more out-there colors. I just ordered black Kung Fu pants, the black/white Kung Fu top, and the red sleeveless jacket. Not sure if it'll make its way into an outfit, but it's always nice to have good martial arts gear I suppose. Even just for normal lightsaber/staff/nunchucks practice.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #232 on: January 09, 2021, 02:07:28 AM »

I'm not a size small, but there's a full set of Kendo gear asking $50 used locally. Mask, chest plate, gloves, and bottom half with bag.

I guess it's a good idea to check OfferUp and all those places regularly.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #233 on: January 09, 2021, 03:31:20 AM »

As a side note, and just to add to the general ideas presented throughout this thread, this umpire chest armor looks pretty nice for $35-40. Being umpire gear, it's designed to take very hard impacts from pitches and foul balls, and it looks more "armor-like" than most umpire/catcher/hockey gear in my opinion. It does not, however, have a back pad/armor like the motorcycle ones shown earlier do.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #234 on: January 09, 2021, 04:04:46 AM »

I covet the kendo mask! but, typically I'm a size large in most things

That baseball gear is kind of intruiging. It would need to be modded for more "Swarzy-ness" but a good base

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #235 on: January 09, 2021, 04:14:53 AM »

I covet the kendo mask! but, typically I'm a size large in most things

That baseball gear is kind of intruiging. It would need to be modded for more "Swarzy-ness" but a good base
No small here either. But that would have been a steal in the right size!

Agreed on the chest armor needing some modifications to make it fit the Star Wars there. Perhaps even just going over the hard pads with a dark metal or steel color would suffice, while keeping the under pads black. Almost a color scheme like this:

Perhaps not a bad piece if done right. But let’s hope the motorcycle one I have on the way suffices.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #236 on: January 09, 2021, 04:18:57 AM »

I doubt I'll view baseball the same way now... that does look like legit armor for an Imperial league or something. No back plates, no problem never get hit there! J/K. I still kind of like it, and could be alright for head to head sparring I suppose?

The only true problem with used kendo gear like that size-wise is that it's "custom ordered" to fit your head, wrist/forearm dimensions, basically measurements like that. So unless you're basically the exact same dimensions as the original order placing individual it wont fit quite right. And head sizes/shapes vary more dramatically than one might assume, even for people with otherwise similar dimensions. My companions and I learned this early in training, those helmets really aren't easily interchangeable/swapped person to person. Although you can buy pads to "augment" a fit if it's close but a little loose, you're SOL if it's too tight. A helmet like that should really be bought specifically for you to offer the best fit and protection. If you're a large a small is completely out of the question.

Also Mandalore is never a bad goal when making armor for sparring!

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #237 on: January 09, 2021, 05:14:32 AM »

I doubt I'll view baseball the same way now... that does look like legit armor for an Imperial league or something. No back plates, no problem never get hit there! J/K. I still kind of like it, and could be alright for head to head sparring I suppose?

The only true problem with used kendo gear like that size-wise is that it's "custom ordered" to fit your head, wrist/forearm dimensions, basically measurements like that. So unless you're basically the exact same dimensions as the original order placing individual it wont fit quite right. And head sizes/shapes vary more dramatically than one might assume, even for people with otherwise similar dimensions. My companions and I learned this early in training, those helmets really aren't easily interchangeable/swapped person to person. Although you can buy pads to "augment" a fit if it's close but a little loose, you're SOL if it's too tight. A helmet like that should really be bought specifically for you to offer the best fit and protection. If you're a large a small is completely out of the question.

Also Mandalore is never a bad goal when making armor for sparring!
Good to know regarding the Kendo gear, thanks!

Just made some quick edits on the umpire armor with the hard plates a grey/silver color. of course, with paint the logo/text would be covered up.

Or some Saiyan armor inspired looks:

You know, these are kind of growing on me now. How important is back armor really?

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #238 on: January 09, 2021, 10:05:27 AM »

You know, these are kind of growing on me now. How important is back armor really?
Only fighting multiple opponents, using moves involving spinning, or if you somehow let them get behind you AND hit you too. I mean in a straight 1V1 duel it really shouldn't become that necessary or you either have become pretty sloppy/foolish, are fighting way out of your "weight class" in skill, or need real crazy improvement on footwork... (unless they have Kenshin levels of speed/other super human abilities somehow. I mean in that case the armor would likely be meaningless anyway) In all seriousness it's true you should be able to "control the situation" well enough to not get hit from behind in a straight up duel. Just limits some of the spinning or rolling attacks that leave your back momentarily exposed I suppose, if you're in close enough for retaliation... So possibly a bit restrictive in truth for some of the saberstaff moves you might choose to use?

In my experience you have to let them get really far to one side to land a "torso blow" that'll get around armor that provides half body coverage in a semicircle around the midsection. It looks like it might hurt if they aim low & to the side/ribs area like where that clip is located, since it's likely less padded? But just gives more reason to "fight" to keep them front and center or control distance if they start circling. Foot work for the win!

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #239 on: January 09, 2021, 02:51:01 PM »

Only fighting multiple opponents, using moves involving spinning, or if you somehow let them get behind you AND hit you too. I mean in a straight 1V1 duel it really shouldn't become that necessary or you either have become pretty sloppy/foolish, are fighting way out of your "weight class" in skill, or need real crazy improvement on footwork... (unless they have Kenshin levels of speed/other super human abilities somehow. I mean in that case the armor would likely be meaningless anyway) In all seriousness it's true you should be able to "control the situation" well enough to not get hit from behind in a straight up duel. Just limits some of the spinning or rolling attacks that leave your back momentarily exposed I suppose, if you're in close enough for retaliation... So possibly a bit restrictive in truth for some of the saberstaff moves you might choose to use?

In my experience you have to let them get really far to one side to land a "torso blow" that'll get around armor that provides half body coverage in a semicircle around the midsection. It looks like it might hurt if they aim low & to the side/ribs area like where that clip is located, since it's likely less padded? But just gives more reason to "fight" to keep them front and center or control distance if they start circling. Foot work for the win!
Thank you for the detailed response. That makes a lot of sense. I don't have much experience with weapon sparring, but I know in my time sparring with hands and feet in TKD, pads only covered the front and sides of the torso. Kicking to the back was not allowed, or at least not scored a point, even though it did of course happen, intentionally or otherwise. It also looks like the Kendo chest/torso gear doesn't cover the back either? So it doesn't seem entirely unfounded that weapon sparring armor for blunt weapons must inherently always cover the back?

Either way, I already ordered the sleeveless motorcycle armor that has chest, back, and shoulder pads. Hopefully it fits well and is of sufficient quality to do its job, since the price was great.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: