Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: PSA: Obsidian Lite Soundboard  (Read 8079 times)
GregG124
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 436

There is only The Force.

« on: February 16, 2016, 05:49:39 PM »

This thread is for saber enthusiasts who own or are interested in the Obsidian Lite Soundboard.

Here is whats great about the Obsidian Lite Soundboard:

1) It has the same great sound clarity and volume as a premium board. The Lite board (if you're not too interested in changing sound fonts) is a fantastic board that is perfect for a non-technical saber enthusiasts.

2) It runs on the standard setup (4xAAA Batteries), making it cost effective when checking out through Ultrasabers.

3) Almost everyone who has purchased an ObLite saber, has loved it.

However, users of the soundboard have encountered a few issues, they are listed here:

Here a few encountered issues of the board:

1) The battery life is a little shorter than a Li-Ion saber, this can be remedied with rechargable AAA batteries however, if you have the extra funding, I'd definitely recommend getting a saber with premium sound and a Li-Ion setup.

2) With contact, the battery will (and I say WILL) pop in and out of place. This can easily be remedied by wrapping electrical tape around the battery pack (in a spot below the Velcro strap).

The Verdict: Every issue of the soundboard can be fixed with a simple, and cost effective project; making it a viable soundboard to be equipped to any UltraSaber. If you are interested in purchasing a Saber with Obsidian Lite Sound: just do it!

I hope this information helps everyone! If you have any questions feel free to reply to this post and myself, or any other knowledgeable forum member, will help you out!

-Greg

Sabers I Own:
Dominix LE V4 (Obsidian V3) - Consular Green
Arbiter (Obsidian Lite) - Consular Green
Liberator V3 (Stunt) - Guardian Blue

Light Side Points Appreciated

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 06:23:08 PM »

My next saber will possibly be a Lite one once my first US order arrives and the Consular is back in stock again.
I've already bought 12 rechargable AAA batteries and a charger with 8 slots. I'd like to use them all in ultrasabers Wink

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 06:27:55 PM »

I personally would get premium just for the li on setup.  It's completely worth the extra money.

But I imagine the lite would be fine if you don't use your saber pretty regularly.  What's the actual price point difference between the two?

Wil Pathen
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -44

Dark Side Points

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 06:31:37 PM »

The only reason I'm hesitant about getting a Lite-Saber(haha) is the inability to Mute on the go.

I have issues changing the soundfonts on my V4 as it is (have to plug in and out several times just to get it to register), I'd hate to have to do that just to change to a muted soundfont.

Otherwise, the pricepoint seems pretty good if you don't intend to mute it ever.

Owned:
Bellicose - Emerald - Obsidian V4
Manticore CE Obsidian V4 - SRD
Phantom v4 Staff w/Li-ions - Tri BR
Dark Apprentice V2 w/NBv3 sound - CG
Graflex SE - AB
Dark Apprentice V4 Staff - BR
Standard Issue V3 Staff - Tri AS
Initiate V2 - AS

Grab Bag - Dark Liberator V3 - VA
Grab Bag - Dark Apprentice V3 - CG
Grab Bag - Liberator V3 - CG

GregG124
Knight Commander

There is only The Force.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 07:08:59 PM »

I personally would get premium just for the li on setup.  It's completely worth the extra money.

But I imagine the lite would be fine if you don't use your saber pretty regularly.  What's the actual price point difference between the two?
I think it's about $40-$50 but don't quote me on that.

Sabers I Own:

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 07:20:19 PM »

The only reason I'm hesitant about getting a Lite-Saber(haha) is the inability to Mute on the go.

I have issues changing the soundfonts on my V4 as it is (have to plug in and out several times just to get it to register), I'd hate to have to do that just to change to a muted soundfont.

Otherwise, the pricepoint seems pretty good if you don't intend to mute it ever.

The lack of muting is really a point if the Lite is the one and only saber of someone.
Which I find very rare to be honest Smiley
Doctors are willing to prescribe an additional stunt saber for everyone hesitating Smiley

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 07:45:30 PM »

I think it's about $40-$50 but don't quote me on that.

You'll burn through that in batteries in no time.  Not to mention if you've already got the charger for the li on setup.

GregG124
Knight Commander

There is only The Force.

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 10:02:33 PM »

You'll burn through that in batteries in no time.  Not to mention if you've already got the charger for the li on setup.
Agreed but if you spend $30 or so on rechargables and a charger, it will be fine.

Sabers I Own:

Wil Pathen
Knight Officer

Dark Side Points

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 06:08:03 AM »

Agreed but if you spend $30 or so on rechargables and a charger, it will be fine.

but at that point, might as well spend the extra on the premium sound!

Owned:
Graflex SE - AB
Initiate V2 - AS

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 06:29:45 AM »

The ability to mute the saber is worth the $10 extra upgrade from v3 to v4.  The $40 or so upgrade from LITE to v3 may or may not be worth it depending on how cost effective you are trying to be.  Li-Ion batteries still need recharging and a recharger.  I went all out and got a recharge port so I don't need extra batteries, thought I did get a recharger anyway, because the new model can do other kinds of batteries as well.

But if you really, really want the saber to be quiet sometimes while lit, get the v4.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

GregG124
Knight Commander

There is only The Force.

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 06:33:29 AM »

This thread really backfired on me... I was trying to promote the plus' of the soundboard, not convince the users it is so far less than that it shouldn't be purchased!

Sabers I Own:

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 06:44:27 AM »

Its main selling point is that it is cheaper to buy and gives the same sounds as the premium version.

The main down side is that you can't change anything about it, while the premium versions you can.

So if you just want a saber with sound and like the default sounds, go with an Obsidian LITE.

If you want to change the sound to some other font but don't need more than one font, get a v3.

If you want more than one font, or just to have a default mute setting with whatever font you like, get the v4.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

GregG124
Knight Commander

There is only The Force.

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 07:07:39 PM »

Here's another point I've discovered about the battle (I'm not trying to start a war) between to Obsidian Lite Soundboard and the Obsidian Premium Soundboard.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=28439.0

The Story: Frolof began this thread and he has had issues connecting his V4 soundboard to the Obsidian launcher. While not a lot of people have this issue, if you have a Windows 8 or Windows 10 PC, your USB port may be "incompatible" with the saber.

The Solution: With the $40 increase in price, if you know you have a risk of your computer being incompatible, you can purchase some Rechargable Nimh AAA's and a charger and not have to worry.

On the Other Hand (Just so I can be fair to the Premium Soundboard): I believe there is a way for you to purchase a converter that would turn your USB 3.0 into a USB 2.0 so the issue is definitely resolvable.

My main argument for the ObLITE sabers is that if you just want a fun saber that makes FANTASTIC sounds, and you're not at all concerned about changing sound fonts, (or you just don't want to deal with Li-Ion batteries) then use your extra $40 to buy your components for Chargeable AAA's!

Again, if you have any questions, feel free to post them here (or in the questions section of the forum) and the members here will help you out!

Sabers I Own:

Wil Pathen
Knight Officer

Dark Side Points

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 07:25:41 PM »

Here's another point I've discovered about the battle (I'm not trying to start a war) between to Obsidian Lite Soundboard and the Obsidian Premium Soundboard.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=28439.0

The Story: Frolof began this thread and he has had issues connecting his V4 soundboard to the Obsidian launcher. While not a lot of people have this issue, if you have a Windows 8 or Windows 10 PC, your USB port may be "incompatible" with the saber.

The Solution: With the $40 increase in price, if you know you have a risk of your computer being incompatible, you can purchase some Rechargable Nimh AAA's and a charger and not have to worry.

On the Other Hand (Just so I can be fair to the Premium Soundboard): I believe there is a way for you to purchase a converter that would turn your USB 3.0 into a USB 2.0 so the issue is definitely resolvable.

My main argument for the ObLITE sabers is that if you just want a fun saber that makes FANTASTIC sounds, and you're not at all concerned about changing sound fonts, (or you just don't want to deal with Li-Ion batteries) then use your extra $40 to buy your components for Chargeable AAA's!

Again, if you have any questions, feel free to post them here (or in the questions section of the forum) and the members here will help you out!

This is true, I have so many issues connecting my v4 to my laptop, and have to plug in and out usually 10+ times to get it to work.

It doesn't even register the soundboard on my Desktop.

Owned:
Graflex SE - AB
Initiate V2 - AS

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 12:01:21 AM »

This thread really backfired on me... I was trying to promote the plus' of the soundboard, not convince the users it is so far less than that it shouldn't be purchased!

I think this thread is great GG . . . and what you're all doing here is just highlighting the differences Smiley

Everyone has different wants and priorities, and some people want the ability to change sounds if they want but never actually change them . . . they just want the ability because thats cool and they can afford it and justify that . . . but some really stretch to afford sound at all and that is the reason the LITE board exists, so those people can get sound without pushing there budget even more . . . and I for one think the LITE board is AWESOME for that reason alone . . . Smiley

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: