Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Does battery set up affect brightness?  (Read 2403 times)
Godspeed
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 2

« on: October 15, 2012, 10:10:19 AM »

Hi, I'm about to purchase my first saber, and was wondering whether the set up of the batteries (Li-Ion vs standard) affects the brightness of the saber. I don't plan to have it on too often so if the brightness is the same, I'm happy with standard batteries. On another note, how much of use can one get from batteries (without seeing a drop in brightness) before needing a recharge/fresh AAAs. I hope I'm posting this correctly  Cheesy Thanks for the help!

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 02:23:45 PM »

Li-ion setup will give you MUCH better performance, both in brightness and longevity.  Not to mention they provide a constant voltage throughout most of their life, so your saber will be at full brightness for a long time (as opposed to alkalines, which gradually dim).

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 03:28:30 PM »

The battery set up does not affect brightness.  What it does affect is your cash pile.  The Li Ion setup can be recharged repeatedly and the pros have already been discussed by Master Nero.

I have a saber with a standard setup and I have already had to replace the batteries but my sabers with Li-Ion setup still have the same batteries and I am nearing the one year mark of purchase. 

I highly suggest purchasing the Li-Ion setup with an additional set of batteries so that you never have to wait on charging times.

The only time this will be an issue is if you live in a country where Li-Ion batteries are prohibited by law.  (I have seen thread in the past to support this claim.) 

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Eiyame
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 92

If you want a costume PLEASE message me on Etsy

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 02:24:56 AM »

The battery set up does not affect brightness.  What it does affect is your cash pile.  The Li Ion setup can be recharged repeatedly and the pros have already been discussed by Master Nero.

I have a saber with a standard setup and I have already had to replace the batteries but my sabers with Li-Ion setup still have the same batteries and I am nearing the one year mark of purchase. 

I highly suggest purchasing the Li-Ion setup with an additional set of batteries so that you never have to wait on charging times.

The only time this will be an issue is if you live in a country where Li-Ion batteries are prohibited by law.  (I have seen thread in the past to support this claim.) 

I have to disagree with blue on this brightness with battery set up. It DOES effect the color, but some more than others. But get the Li-On with Buck set up, it will save you a TON in just batteries.

I have the color Bane's Heart and when I put it in my Standard Set Up Stunt Liberator, with rechargeable Ni-Mh batteries it looks like this.

Very bright PINK.

Now in my Shock LE with BuckPlug and Sound Bane's Heart ends up looking like this.

Kinda Pinky towards the bottom near the emitter then fades to a weird reddish/pink color

Even my VA changes color. From looking more like DVA with my Shock and more of a true purple with my Liberator. Though its hard to tell in photos (compare the carpet from the glow) its noticeable in person.

Shock LE with sound, you can see the blue tint to it

Liberator with standard set up, its a bit more purple.

Now on the flip side my silver doesn't really change, but you can see the difference in the brightness

Shock LE

Liberator

Sadly I can't show you the difference in my SRD, since I have yet to get a QD for it.

PLEASE DO NOT MESSAGE ME HERE. I VARY VARY RARELY LOG IN ANYMORE SINCE I AM SO BUSY. PLEASE MESSAGE ME ON FACEBOOK OR ETSY TO GET A HOLD OF ME.

For Costume Information: http://etsy.com/shop/aetherealdesigns
For Ęthereal Designs Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AEtherealDesigns

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 02:32:06 AM »

What Eiyame demonstrated is the effect of different voltages on colors created with RGB LEDs, such as VA or SRD.  With something like GB, CG, or BR you get a difference in brightness but not so much shade.

Eiyame
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 02:35:14 AM »

What Eiyame demonstrated is the effect of different voltages on colors created with RGB LEDs, such as VA or SRD.  With something like GB, CG, or BR you get a difference in brightness but not so much shade.

The difference in brightness was demonstrated in the last set of pictures using the AS in a Shock and a Liberator.

**Lets keep things pleasant here Wink
-Nightwing
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 11:33:29 AM by Moderator Nightwing » Logged

PLEASE DO NOT MESSAGE ME HERE. I VARY VARY RARELY LOG IN ANYMORE SINCE I AM SO BUSY. PLEASE MESSAGE ME ON FACEBOOK OR ETSY TO GET A HOLD OF ME.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 02:36:35 AM »

Nero if you look at my AS blade you can see I ALSO showed the difference with brightness as well.

I know, I wasn't saying anything about that... just wanted to explain the color change part, so people wouldn't think they could get different colors out of just any LED by changing the voltage... it's just plain common sense that there's a brightness change due to greater or lesser power sources Wink

Sky Dragon c5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1

Grey Jedi Assassin

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 02:41:39 AM »

I even notice this with different colours on my Lithiums and grab bags.

Keep me as a Grey Jedi Please

C=Custom, D=Dark

Rd Reaper AS, Archon V2.1 AB, Consular CG, Malice BR, Overlord PO, Shock LE SY, D Shock DVA, D Liberator AS, Raven FO, D War EG, C Manticore BH, C D Shock RGB, C D Arbiter SR, C Archon V2.

Eiyame
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 02:44:47 AM »

I know, I wasn't saying anything about that... just wanted to explain the color change part, so people wouldn't think they could get different colors out of just any LED by changing the voltage... it's just plain common sense that there's a brightness change due to greater or lesser power sources Wink

I don't know how colors in a Li-On setup without sound would look because all set ups I have with Li-On have sound. And that would change the color shades a bit becuase with sound the power is being split between the soundboard and the LED.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:03:24 AM by Master Artorius Vidnyl » Logged

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 02:54:29 AM »

I don't know how colors in a Li-On setup without sound would look because all set ups I have with Li-On have sound. And that would change the color shades a bit becuase with sound the power is being split between the soundboard and the LED.

I don't have a basis for comparison, because I currently don't have any hilts without Obsidian that have Li-ion, but to my knowledge there wouldn't be all that much of a difference in this case.  The Obsidian board doesn't have a built in driver, so you don't get much interference there to change the voltage.  I have a stunt Dark Arbiter in AB coming with Li-ion setup, so I'll be able to compare that to my gf's Graflex at least (though it's also not an accurate comparison, as the Graflex has FoC so it uses a 10W RGB LED).

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 03:18:37 PM »

I typically deal with automotive electrical systems and I'm a bit rusty, but if the Sound and LED were wired in parallel they should both receive full voltage.  If they're wired in series though, the one that comes second will see lower voltage due to voltage drop across the first load.

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

eerockk
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 662

TPLA Lx Apprentice - Nova 7

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 03:29:57 PM »

Great follow up info to other posts on the boards. I'm glad I spent the extra on the Li-On and buckpuck for my order. These boards are an invaluable place to have rookie questions answered, and I'm full of rookie questions... not for long if I keep reading these posts! Thanks all.

Bellicose - Prophecy V3 - Overlord - Archon 2.1 - Guardian

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 03:46:57 PM »

I typically deal with automotive electrical systems and I'm a bit rusty, but if the Sound and LED were wired in parallel they should both receive full voltage.  If they're wired in series though, the one that comes second will see lower voltage due to voltage drop across the first load.

The soundboard and LED are wired in Parallel, not Series. 

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 08:08:07 PM »

The following is a video I made today using Seoul P4 Red LEDs and 36" (LED to Tip) Heavy Grade Blades.  I used all three battery types discussed.  No opinions were expressed on the video, just a chance to see all battery options under controlled circumstances.  This will allow you to make a decision based on what you see as everyone's ability to see is different.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=9729.msg151029#new

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 09:44:54 PM »

The following is a video I made today using Seoul P4 Red LEDs and 36" (LED to Tip) Heavy Grade Blades.  I used all three battery types discussed.  No opinions were expressed on the video, just a chance to see all battery options under controlled circumstances.  This will allow you to make a decision based on what you see as everyone's ability to see is different.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=9729.msg151029#new

Nicely done Blue, point!

One thing I wanted to add that I forgot to earlier - color can change greatly depending on some other factors, one being whether or not you have RGB or FoC.  For RGB, Ultra and Deep have mentioned multiple times that the colors don't directly correspond to the single-color options... so the purple setting on an RGB saber isn't necessarily the same as Violet Amethyst.  For FoC they use a different type of LED entirely, a 10W RGB (LEDengine I believe, but don't quote me on it).  This gives a VERY different color, as I saw today when I compared my gf's Graflex with my new Dark Catalyst - both are Arctic Blue, but the Graflex is much bluer in shade.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: