Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 542   Go Down
Author Topic: Whatchya Listening to or Watching?  (Read 1139677 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2769

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3360 on: September 23, 2016, 06:22:04 PM »

And I find this funny, cuz rock is a dying genre here. Everything is hip hop, top 40, bubblegum pop centric. This is not a racial comment, but hip hop is just as big in the white communities as it is in the black communities. Latin hip hop has its place. There aren't many rock stations out there anymore. Songs that do get played often get filtered out into mainstream, stripping them of rock affiliation, and putting them into top 40. I love rock, it's what I listen to. I loved rap, early hip hop, but the beauty of the early stages is gone, given way to lazy writing, fake senses of reality, and just trying to make a buck via catchy songs with few lyrics and a dance to go with it

Edit: should be in the venting as well, but Drake is considered a great artist. If auto tune makes you a great singer, please, choke me. No one writes their own music, hardly anyone. It's written for them to make a buck

False. Rock was born here, and it will never die. It might be in a lull ATM, and yes it is not at the level of awesome it was at 30-40 years ago.....but it's not dying.

But I do agree that there's way too much being sold that a tech savvy first grader to produce. What happened to the days when real people played real instruments, and made real music?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #3361 on: September 23, 2016, 07:04:55 PM »

False. Rock was born here, and it will never die. It might be in a lull ATM, and yes it is not at the level of awesome it was at 30-40 years ago.....but it's not dying.

But I do agree that there's way too much being sold that a tech savvy first grader to produce. What happened to the days when real people played real instruments, and made real music?

I'm not saying rock wasn't born here, but it is nowhere near as popular as it once was. I get into disagreements when I say hair bands from the 80s killed rock and the alternative rock was born to counter the crap coming out of van Halens butt. While 80s hair bands had alot if hits, they left such an immense bruise on rock. It was a joke, comical, their style. It will never be mainstream again in a world short on attention and originality. Rock, music stores are scarcely around. I still love rock, old, new, 80s makes me cringe but whatever.
I heard a funny joke yesterday tgat mentioned that rappers are complaining about how piracy is hurting the industry, taking money out of their pockets, when, doesn't rap rip other music off, and has mentioning of robbery and breaking the law. Stop me if the irony is false

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3362 on: September 23, 2016, 07:38:54 PM »

I'm not saying rock wasn't born here, but it is nowhere near as popular as it once was. I get into disagreements when I say hair bands from the 80s killed rock and the alternative rock was born to counter the crap coming out of van Halens butt. While 80s hair bands had alot if hits, they left such an immense bruise on rock. It was a joke, comical, their style. It will never be mainstream again in a world short on attention and originality. Rock, music stores are scarcely around. I still love rock, old, new, 80s makes me cringe but whatever.

Music stores are scarcely around for the same reasons movie rental places are gone. Everybody gets there stuff online.

And yes, just like every music genre of the '80s, and decades prior, there are always going to be those that made utter shell trying to make a buck. The good shall remain while the dross is forgotten.

I heard a funny joke yesterday tgat mentioned that rappers are complaining about how piracy is hurting the industry, taking money out of their pockets, when, doesn't rap rip other music off, and has mentioning of robbery and breaking the law. Stop me if the irony is false
No arguments here. Although.......

... crap coming out of van Halens butt...

We can't be friends anymore. Sad

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Acervus
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -248

6 movies & Rogue one. That's all folks....

« Reply #3363 on: September 23, 2016, 07:44:42 PM »

Wow I called Move Any Mountain a page or two back. I like this forum it reinforces my taste in music as being good!

The Prodigy were (are) massive but I think they do focus more on festivals than full touring and studio cycles. Speaking of cycles, Keith Flint now owns and runs a British Superbikes racing team (sort of like the AMA Superbikes in the US) so may be a bit more busy for music.

Back to my Youtube back catalogue!

Sorry guys not wanting to butt in just wanted to reply to For Tyeth .

I know what your saying about contrived stuff but this was early 90's crossover. Forget the silly video, I never saw any of this albums so called videos. I remember me & friend listening to this for the first time on a "tape deck" lol it just defined a different approach house/rock/rap they did like to ignore labels.  yeah it sounds dated now some of it but..........
would be remiss of me not to include the original & live versions (quite different)

original https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WXeZwe-1Zk

USA Live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19YDFy7JBaY

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #3364 on: September 23, 2016, 07:45:17 PM »

So, in order to get the thread back on track (see what i did there?) I have broken out my vinyl and gone back to the old skool. A timeless hip-hop track from the 70s that forever changed the music industry. While not the first hip-hop record, it was definitely the one that introduced the genre to mainstream audiences and almost as iconic as Apache.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar7sKNb4UUE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar7sKNb4UUE</a>

Darth Acervus
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -248

6 movies & Rogue one. That's all folks....

« Reply #3365 on: September 23, 2016, 08:08:15 PM »

Nice Track my Lord,

The length of that could constitute a whole album of some artists today Wink

Edit: almost forgot This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChjLMbXVrU

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3366 on: September 23, 2016, 08:13:10 PM »

Nice Track my Lord,

The length of that could constitute a whole album of some artists today Wink

Edit: almost forgot This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChjLMbXVrU
I doubt all but a very select few have ever listened to the whole 14 mins.

but, I have moved on and currently sticking with my old skool theme have this one currently spinning: Grandmaster Flash - Adventures on the Wheels of Steel, in honour of the great Netflix show The Get Down.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wQz7gqR5Mg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wQz7gqR5Mg</a>

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #3367 on: September 23, 2016, 08:48:07 PM »

Music stores are scarcely around for the same reasons movie rental places are gone. Everybody gets there stuff online.

And yes, just like every music genre of the '80s, and decades prior, there are always going to be those that made utter shell trying to make a buck. The good shall remain while the dross is forgotten.
No arguments here. Although.......

We can't be friends anymore. Sad

I H word Van Halen. Everytime I see David Lee Roth do the splits, I wish a stair rail would magically appears under him. Probably how he got that high pitch scream. Jim Morrison was rolling over in his grave listening to those ass clowns. I know they weren't the only culprits, but they are the biggest hacks I think of

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1559

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #3368 on: September 23, 2016, 08:51:01 PM »

Sorry guys not wanting to butt in just wanted to reply to For Tyeth .

I know what your saying about contrived stuff but this was early 90's crossover. Forget the silly video, I never saw any of this albums so called videos. I remember me & friend listening to this for the first time on a "tape deck" lol it just defined a different approach house/rock/rap they did like to ignore labels.  yeah it sounds dated now some of it but..........
would be remiss of me not to include the original & live versions (quite different)

Hi Darth Acervus,
I fully agree and am I fan of the 90's crossover stuff. It was the era I started my musical career in and these two videos show that The Shamen were musicians rather than hired performers singing other people's songs. The fact they tweaked the song shows talent plus they had a Simmonds Hexapad drum kit (and probably a Roland TR-808 drum machine!).
I was agreeing with Darth Knox about the death of music with the invention of "manufactured" bands by Simon Cowell and TV talent shows.
(good call on GrandMaster Flash, btw)

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3369 on: September 23, 2016, 08:51:47 PM »

final vinyl pick of thee evening. Getting a little funky with Etta James's version of I Got You Babe
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWTgJdvdGo8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWTgJdvdGo8</a>

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3370 on: September 23, 2016, 09:10:52 PM »

I H word Van Halen. Everytime I see David Lee Roth do the splits, I wish a stair rail would magically appears under him. Probably how he got that high pitch scream. Jim Morrison was rolling over in his grave listening to those ass clowns. I know they weren't the only culprits, but they are the biggest hacks I think of

DLR may have been a colossal douche, but he was an excellent front man. And the band as whole was good. IMO they really found their swing when Sammy joined up. But Van Halen never fit the "hair band" criteria. They weren't those posers with excessive amounts of hairspray and eye makeup.

You're sounding like one of those guys that's devoted to stoner bands. The Doors were ok.

For my money, as classic rock icons, give me the Stones or the Who.

Currently listening to....

Breath - Breaking Benjamin

Sig by For Tyeth

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1559

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #3371 on: September 23, 2016, 09:18:45 PM »

And I think I will add my final thought for today by going back to my Electronic roots with this TRACK (you'll get the joke in a minute or two). A song that helped bring the electronic edge to Hip-Hop, Rap and Techno music in the USA and around the world. This is Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBGNlTPgQII" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBGNlTPgQII</a>

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #3372 on: September 23, 2016, 09:42:27 PM »

DLR may have been a colossal douche, but he was an excellent front man. And the band as whole was good. IMO they really found their swing when Sammy joined up. But Van Halen never fit the "hair band" criteria. They weren't those posers with excessive amounts of hairspray and eye makeup.

You're sounding like one of those guys that's devoted to stoner bands. The Doors were ok.

For my money, as classic rock icons, give me the Stones or the Who.

I respect the Who, cuz their music is fairly good, but they do need to stop performing here and there. Takes away the magic of their time. Stones or Beatles, star wars or star trek.. more of a Beatles fan. Yeah true I was raised on stoner bands, but also on Motown, classic rock, rap, pop. All my family members have different taste. But I like rock best. Nirvana is probably my fave, and the radio hits are not the great songs. The white stripes I love, SOAD, Korn. Just the power of a good rift

Watching: Taxi Driver

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3373 on: September 24, 2016, 01:15:23 AM »

Got bored of Buffy so switched to watching The Adjustment Bureau. Because Emily Blunt is gorgeous and can do no wrong

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 46

« Reply #3374 on: September 24, 2016, 01:16:16 AM »

Watching ATTACK THE BLOCK.

I like movies, Spider-Man, and lightsabers.

That's about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My username and avatar may be of a villain, but I like Light Side points.

Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 542   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: