Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 583   Go Down
Author Topic: Suggestion Box/Wishlist: what do we want from Ultrasabers?  (Read 1496336 times)
Vervidian
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 80

"This is madness."

« Reply #4515 on: September 08, 2016, 09:56:10 PM »

Here's my thought, see how on Dooku's saber on the butt side the bend is at that joint piece there? couldn't you just have a threaded connector piece where the threading was angled slightly. It's hard to describe. Here's a doodle I did to try to explain it but it doesn't help much http://sta.sh/0hu06ipkedd

Basically the "bend" is created by angling a slanted cut ring of aluminum. If done the way I'm trying to describe, there wouldn't be any "bending" of a tube. The only downside is that it becomes multi piece. Though, it could just be presented as a large pommel.

Hey Lovetadraw,

As I understand your sketch, having an angled 'slice' (akin to the Prophecy emitter) threaded joint would not accomplish any space savings, as the act of screwing it onto the connector would cause the tall end to knock into the corner.  It's entirely possible that I misunderstand your concept, but if the goal of an angled threaded joint is to save space in the cutout region, I have trouble making this work in my mind.

Master Vervidian
Jedi Sentinel and Amateur Geometrist

Armory:
Emperor's Hand - Diamond RGBA
Catalyst - Diamond RGBW (Mrs. Verv's)
Sentinel LE v4 stunt - Guardian Blue - Mainhand Battle Saber
Sentinel v4 stunt - Consular Green ***raffle prize*** - Offhand Battle Saber
Initiate LE v2 - Guardian Blue (Lil Verv's)
2 stunt sabers as gifts - CG Prophecy, FO Tri-Cree Dominix

I feel the light side calling me!

Thanamira
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 144

« Reply #4516 on: September 08, 2016, 10:06:37 PM »

My wild guess (I wouldn't really know) is that an elbow joint at the pommel end wouldn't be too hard to either find a source of or to make.  It's the gentle emitter curve that would be 100% custom, and given the low numbers being produced, that additional cost would be too large to be distributed over many units of production.  (As in, if the target price is $150, with $25 of that budgeted to the emitter bend, if the capital outlay to make the emitter bend is $25,000, then US would have to sell 1,000 of these sabers to recoup that cost in a year.)

Now, if in the new movies coming out, another curved-handle user appears who is wildly popular, then that probably becomes worth it.  Right now?  Enh.

(I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade -- I cosplay as Dooku.  I would fling a lot of money at US for a Nobility hilt.  Smiley  )

This is where I repeat that I wouldn't really know, though.  Smiley

President, Boston Lightsaber Stage Combat Club
www.bostonlightsaber.com

Light side points appreciated!
Thanamira school of staff aesthetic preference: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32415.msg492503#msg492503

Duskheart
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -41

Bookaflock!

« Reply #4517 on: September 09, 2016, 04:29:49 AM »

The only thing I can really see working is if, perhaps, a thicker piece of aluminum is milled with a "curve" in it

I'm having a hard time explaining it, but basically the internal space is perfectly straight, it's the size of the walls around it that change to create that curve.

Thanamira
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 144

« Reply #4518 on: September 09, 2016, 03:25:28 PM »

Yeah, I've mused about a 3D-printed sleeve that goes around a straight tube.  The tricky thing is all the incremental thickness -- part of what makes the Mantis such a beast is that it's an additive design like you described.  (I find it difficult to use one-handed.)

Insofar as copyright infringement, that might be an excellent way for US to sidestep it: they offer a smaller OD straight emitter, and someone independently comes up with a 3D print design to attach to make a screen-accurate Dooku saber.  But if the emitter is a smaller OD, that would require a new LED module to stock, which I can see being very unappealing to US.

President, Boston Lightsaber Stage Combat Club
www.bostonlightsaber.com

Light side points appreciated!
Thanamira school of staff aesthetic preference: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32415.msg492503#msg492503

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2769

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #4519 on: September 09, 2016, 07:11:56 PM »

I think that's the problem: I think with steel, you can just heat it up a bit, bend it, let it cool, and bam, good to go.

With aluminum, I think if you heat up a tube of it and try to bend it, it'll shatter or at least develop catastrophic cracks.  But I'm not sure.  Anyone with metallurgy experience?  Smiley

Quite. You actually don't have to heat it at all. You can just do a cold bend on either material. Industries do it all the time. The problem would arise from getting the details machined once it's bent. Because pre-bend machining would yield much scrap.

Now it might be possible to produce solid cast parts, like this, with a lost-foam technique. But it would significantly raise the cost. And casting sacrifices strength compared to machined extrusion.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Vervidian
Knight Officer

"This is madness."

« Reply #4520 on: September 09, 2016, 08:25:46 PM »

Quite. You actually don't have to heat it at all. You can just do a cold bend on either material. Industries do it all the time. The problem would arise from getting the details machined once it's bent. Because pre-bend machining would yield much scrap.

Now it might be possible to produce solid cast parts, like this, with a lost-foam technique. But it would significantly raise the cost. And casting sacrifices strength compared to machined extrusion.

-1 Logos, have a point.  Good explanation.

IMHO, a Count Dooku saber which has the exact same bend profile as the production Mantis would be well-received!  No emitter bend really necessary!  (Besides, what was Dooku thinking with that banana hilt, anyways?  Doubles as a walking stick?)

Armory:

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #4521 on: September 10, 2016, 09:01:03 AM »

(Besides, what was Dooku thinking with that banana hilt, anyways?  Doubles as a walking stick?)
LMAO!

I always thought to myself that Count Dooku's saber could have used a little blue pill.  Roll Eyes  Grin

+1

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1559

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #4522 on: September 10, 2016, 09:08:09 AM »

Hi all,

I know Tera Sinube had a walking stick saber, not sure if he's still canon or not though!
I have a link for a YouTube video of Christopher Lee discussing his sword fights in the movies and gives an interesting demonstration. If you want I can post it here if allowed (I'm not sure if it's the right thread).

FrontierBrainRobby
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 7

Force Knowledge-Seeker

« Reply #4523 on: September 10, 2016, 05:56:03 PM »

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this stuff yet, but if there was a way to get true Yellow, Purple, Indigo, and Cyan LEDs that would be awesome, so the mixing of the LEDs isn't obvious.
Also, GOLD ANODIZING FOR MORE THAN JUST ACCENTS!!! Would really be an awesome selection to add, and we know its possible since the azure and crimson models of some hilts are sold, plus the LE versions have it

If you couldn't tell, I kinda wanna make myself a Jedi Temple Guard saber

Own: Manticore Tri-CG w/ V4 ("235"). Mantis CE VA w/ ObsidianLITE ("Koga"), Dominix V3 FO

~There is no Light Side, nor Dark Side, there is only the Force~

lovetadraw
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -175

Lawth VS Malice ~The End of Innocence

« Reply #4524 on: September 10, 2016, 10:44:06 PM »

Non mixed LEDs would be great, not sure if it's possible for some colors but one can dream. Heck, imagine an Emerald option of RGBY or RWBY! Lets get funky, MCY/W (don't think that'd work)

"Somewhere between darkness and light I reside, seek not to save me, for I needn't rescue."

Emerald Consular Staff (PO and Gold)
Chimera (Custom with Maticore emitter)
Cyan Short Boi (Modified Dark IniV2Le)
Kylo Ren-egade (Custom with Renegade parts)
MHS Luke Hero (Archon emitter)
Mustafar's Wake (Modified Dark Prophecy)
MHS Skywalker Saber
MHS Darth Zannah

BlindJedi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2374

I don't need vision to defeat you.

« Reply #4525 on: September 11, 2016, 02:35:44 AM »

Don't know if this has been mensioned before, but we need a new electronics package.
A combination of the Emerald driver and the Obsidian sound board.  This is so when we connect it to the computer we only need one USB cable.
I'd also like to see the sound fonts linked to a certain color, pulse pattern, and flash on clash pattern.

lovetadraw
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -175

Lawth VS Malice ~The End of Innocence

« Reply #4526 on: September 11, 2016, 03:46:17 AM »

Ideas for V5 sabers,

Be able to set a clash sound to play at the start of a lockup. Sometimes the lockup sounds have no real "start" sound which loops better, but sounds odd since there isn't always a clash at the start.

A volume nob/switch.

multi-phase pulse. Better "unstable" settings, rainbow sabers if you want.

"Emerald Lite" for Tri Cree and single color LED sabers to adjust pulse/flicker. Heck, for Tri Cree, what if (by choice) you could set the base brightness at say 80% and on clash it could go 100% to give FoC (of sorts) and Pulse for TriCree sabers.

"Somewhere between darkness and light I reside, seek not to save me, for I needn't rescue."

Emerald Consular Staff (PO and Gold)
Chimera (Custom with Maticore emitter)
Cyan Short Boi (Modified Dark IniV2Le)
Kylo Ren-egade (Custom with Renegade parts)
MHS Luke Hero (Archon emitter)
Mustafar's Wake (Modified Dark Prophecy)
MHS Skywalker Saber
MHS Darth Zannah

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2769

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #4527 on: September 12, 2016, 08:50:50 PM »

-1 Logos, have a point.  Good explanation.

IMHO, a Count Dooku saber which has the exact same bend profile as the production Mantis would be well-received!  No emitter bend really necessary!  (Besides, what was Dooku thinking with that banana hilt, anyways?  Doubles as a walking stick?)

Thanks. But with your further response, it became clear that you haven't wielded a curved hilt yet.

Curved hilts are actually more ergonomic and comfortable. They've even made tennis rackets with a similar styling.

As explained in Path of Destruction, curved hilts are a trade off. Some maneuvers are made easier to execute, while others are more difficult.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Vervidian
Knight Officer

"This is madness."

« Reply #4528 on: September 12, 2016, 09:30:44 PM »

Thanks. But with your further response, it became clear that you haven't wielded a curved hilt yet.

Curved hilts are actually more ergonomic and comfortable. They've even made tennis rackets with a similar styling.

As explained in Path of Destruction, curved hilts are a trade off. Some maneuvers are made easier to execute, while others are more difficult.

Interesting points made, and you are correct that I have not tried out any curved hilts.  It seems to me that most lockup situations would require greater force (physical force, little 'f') to hold it steady, since some force will inherently be lost in the axis parallel to the blade.  But maybe textbook free body diagrams are an over-simplification when muscles are involved.

Suffice it to say, I prefer a standard hilt!

Master Vervidian
Jedi Sentinel

Armory:

Iram
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -292

Grey, leaning to the Dark Side

« Reply #4529 on: September 12, 2016, 10:07:27 PM »

Yes, I know we've all heard it a million times, but...

LIGHT WHIPS!!! COMBAT READY LIGHT WHIPS!!

BBL and proud!!!

My Sabers
Overlord (BR) Old Reliable w/ Obsidian v4 
Crimson Scorpion (VA)  w/ Obsidian v3  [Second Prize, 2016 Spring Raffle (1st)]
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (CG) Viridi Ignis 
Graflex SE (Emerald) w/Obsidian v4 [Won -50% off coupon April 2017]
Dark Sentinel LE V4 (BR)

WWJD?

Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 583   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: