Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down
Author Topic: Legacy of the Aether  (Read 71336 times)
Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #210 on: March 15, 2018, 09:16:21 PM »

Only 4 more chapters. Cry Still, it's had an amazing run. Thanks so much LSG, you continually inspire me to better my own writing. (And I hope this isn't the last story you will share with us) Grin

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #211 on: March 16, 2018, 01:47:49 AM »

Chapter 47
Jarys

“This is Tiiko’s most ‘beautiful code’”  he said as he sliced into the Jedi archives through the chief librarians terminal…the chief librarian himself an old Cerean apparently called Ha’Siri’Kum based on the log in details lay in four pieces on the floor. 

It had been a bit of fun killing him, Jarys had tried out the Fallanassi illusion Valens had taught him while Valens had used a subtle aetheric suppression technique to reduce suspicion, the old fool thought he was Master Soryu right up until the point his head hit the ground.

“there…the access to the back-ups as well…going back…let’s see thirty odd years…”  he assessed the record storage summary data,

“Good, Take a complete copy, then set the criteria to purge all current and the next three or four updates with a tracer,” Valens advised,

“I’d go five…” Jarys replied as he keyed the list into Tiiko’s program, it detailed all the key words and dates to be garbled, every detail about Aethas, Aethan biology, the events on Nar Shadda 20 years ago turned to useless false facts, and re-writes of Valens and Milaea’s details and missions…a full purge of the archives would’ve raised suspicions, so they kept it tight.

“Do it,” Valens hopped off the desk he was sitting on,

He hit the purge button.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As they left the library they came face to face with six Jedi, cloaked, seething in the aether, armed not just with regular lightsabres…but other types as well, pikes, batons.

“Kirkut, it’s about time,” Valens addressed the tallest one, the Jedi stepped forward into the light, though obscured by the white and gold helm Jarys recognized the flow of its mind as a Lasat…a strong and powerful species biologically. 

“By your crimes Valens you have condemned yourself already, On behalf of the Temple Guard I sentence you to death,” he ignited his blue sabre staff,

Nine more sabres lit up, yet the six Sentinels wielded only eight, at the far left one of then drooped down, the green blade that pierced its chest staying in place as it fell, cutting it into a hideous flower like split of cauterized flesh,

Jarys smiled briefly as they surged forth, some opening fire with projectile and energy weapons.  His brother raced ahead into a mon calamari on the far right as he felt the familiar touch of the battle meld he had created with Valens as children reform…yet his brothers attacks seemed in effectual…and he didn’t think he had two lightsabres…it was then that Valens actually appeared, leaping out behind the Mon Cal daggers ripping its flesh to pieces as the alien fought an illusion...all in the time Jarys had pulled his blaster and tossed a grenade…

It was then he realised just how much his brother had exceeded him…two Jedi in twenty seconds….He would relish the challenge of catching up!

He moved in time to the rhythms and prompts of the battle meld, energy blades, knives, all tried and failed to make their mark upon him, in return their lightning, fire, blades and sabre tore apart the Sentinels robes, found every shatter point in their armour, every gap between the plates. 

The Lasat, already naturally faster than a human seemed to cope better, getting off glancing blows, he was focused on Jarys.  He didn’t mind, a challenge like this would be invigorating.  The sabre staff moved with unsettling speed, followed by booted kicks, and armoured elbows, their armour clanked with each collision, aetheric blasts and grips traded freely, nerve disruption and mental attacks traded back and forth.  A Nautolan tried to get in a hit from behind, but through Valens eyes he could see the attack, swivelled and landed the butt of his rifle on it skull with bone shattering strength.

The Lasat landed a searing slice into his right thigh armour, repaid with a downward slash into its shoulder pads, his sword stuck in place, he abandoned it to drive his fists into the creature’s chest, guided by Valens more precise shatterpoint the left chest piece broke and fell away.  It was as though he were back home, the two of them practising against their grandfather…using each techniques the other had perfected, each view point to try and get a hit in…it had taken them years to win together…years to match Andis alone…

He backtracked dodging the Lasat’s heavy swings and occasional aetheric stab, as the beast tossed out his stuck sword.  Jarys caught it in the aether and sent it right back at him as Valens shot one of his glass ‘shikkars’ at the creature from the other side.  It deflection was fast and perfect, a sign of its biological and aether enhanced reflexes that even a human force user could  not match….but Aethans were not biologically human.

He was beneath the Lasat before it even noticed, it quickly kicked and hit Jarys in the right shoulder, he rolled back, the Lasat moved forward then stopped as it suddenly realised…it looked down to see a sabre-baton and shoto burning through its torso from behind in the grip of Jarys mind.

It dropped heavily,

“Keep it alive,” Valens said tossing two more broken but living figures beside him,

“For now…”

Jarys nodded lifting the three corpses above with the aether, pressing their wounds closed just enough to keep them alive in thought rending pain.

“You right taking the Grand Master alone” 

Valens smiled,

“I’ve been planning it for a long time…remember what I told you about Soryu…take care brother” .
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He strode down the halls unchallenged, it was largely empty with the Jedi all over Coruscant, toward the white lit stairs that surrounded a garden feature, the near dead Jedi hovering behind him.

The large doors at the top of the stair case hissed open, he raised the three Sentinels higher in the air, strengthening his grip at their throats and major organs in the aether.

Two Jedi stood at the top of the stairs, one he knew…Soryu now Valens had told him just who he had fought on Santooine…he felt conflicted about it…the other by Valens description, Yoren. 

He used the aether to project his voice   

“I am Jarys, son of Lyssia, son of Marten, Grandson and student of Andis the Unyielding, husband of Cilina of the Mountain Village, their stories I carry with me.” 

He drew his sword in his left hand and his rifle in the other.

“You Jedi sought me out, but I have come to you, ravaged your world, broken your defences now…” he paused for dramatic effect…he would never normally do such a thing as announce his intention…but he wanted to buy Valens as much time as he could,

“Face me alone Keishar Yoren, Master of the Jedi, member of their council, not with an army of your servants,” he used the aether to fill the room with his confidence and pride in his people and heritage…combined with the imbalance Valens had created with the crystals he hoped it would be enough to push the Jedi to face him alone…even still injured Soryu was threatening.

To add fuel to the fire he snapped the necks and crushed the organs of the Jedi above him, then flung their corpses into the stairs, skin splitting and blood jetting as they met the uncaring corners with pitiless force.

He could feel the shock, the anger in the aether fuming off them both, Soryu was quicker to control it…his humility a blanket on the flames…Yoren’s pride only stoked it.

“You’re sick,” the Jedi spat, “a sick, a crazed Rancor that needs to be put down!” 

“Yoren,” Soryu grasped his arm, “Steady yourself,” 

“Enough, this is the…the beast…the animal that killed Gurrlum, the creature that attacked the Hangar…and now has the audacity to come in here and just…just massacre Jedi in front of my face,”

The imbalance Valens had set in motion was truly a thing to behold Jarys thought,

“No more, you die right here right now!”  His blue sabre sprung to life as he leapt over the stairs straight toward him.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even after decades of constant battle draining on his spirit, it was still so invigorating.

Jarys raised is rifle and opened fire, sending his two knives in long arcs behind him and into the foliage of the garden feature for later.  The Jedi bounced the shots back at him as Jarys deflected them into the ground and leapt up to meet him mid-air still firing.  To face an opponent this skilled, to rise to the challenge energized him.

Sword sparked against sabre as Yoren used the force to push the rifle out of aim, the impact brought them down onto the steps, both masters of combat, they landed with grace and fought with brutality.  Yes, he thought, this was living…the heart of battle, two men with nothing but their will to survive to separate them.

Yorens sabre slashed divots in the beskar, his aetheric grips slowed Jarys genetically enhanced reflexes, his aetheric blasts pummelled his back and legs, bruising the skin and muscle beneath with invisible impacts.  He cut through the rifle, a shower of sparks flew in the Jedi’s face searing welts into the once noble features.  Jarys blade sliced through the flowing robe, his elbows and knees impacting ribs, thighs and side. 

This was a true master, like the Gado had been, a rival that brought out the best in him, set his heart pumping with hormones…if only the Jedi had more like this one….The blue sabre rained upon him, the light of its movement melded into a burning circle making it impossible to see with his eyes where the actual blade was amidst the traces of its light. 

His left gauntlets was seared through, the unarmoured gap between thigh and hip burnt through, the plasma fire eating into his flesh.  An aetheric blow simultaneously to both sides of his helmet set his ears ringing.  The Jedi’s nose was bleeding from an elbow to the side of the head, a red laceration trailed from shoulder to elbow on his right arm, his left foot uncomfortable on the steps after a heavy booted stomp. 

They were ripping each other apart, stalking for any slim opportunity to be the sole survivor, it was exhilarating, he wondered if he had stayed on Aethas, would he ever have been satisfied with the life of a normal Guardian, father, husband…or had decades of war addicted him to the brutality, the taste of his own blood as he hammered his fist forward into the increasingly fatigued Jedi’s wrist blocking another slash.

A heavy blow to his chest plate brunt through, he responded with a slash that cut into the Jedi’s hip, his armour was slick with the Jedi’s blood and smelt of cauterized flesh and burnt metal.  The aether grasped at his head, he pushed it off and followed it with a heavy aetheric grip on the spine, Yoren pushed it off as Jarys knee smashed into Yorens hands as they gripped the sabre, off balance he lunged his helmeted head forward to crack against his forehead. 

The Jedi’s eyes swam back in his head, he brought his blade through for the kill…

It sparked against a green blade.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #212 on: March 16, 2018, 01:48:59 AM »

Chapter 47
Soryu
He didn’t need Yoren’s death added to the list to know that too many Jedi had already died.  No Jedi on their own was a match for this Jarys…Valens or any of these Aethans. 

Whatever that force blast had been earlier it had destabilized Yoren, unbalanced him…what other legacies it would leave he would consider later.  Now he had to stop this. 

He was sore, he felt the parry deep in his wounds as the bandages and bacta patches began to slough off with his slashes and dodges.  He was in no state to win this fight, only to delay Jarys long enough for Yoren to recover or more Jedi to arrive. 

He took a thin long cut to his left shoulder, and other to his right thigh, so far he had only scorched more burns in the thick armour of his opponent.  With the force he had kept him slowed…his strength and speed - were like Milaea and Valens - naturally four times that of a human, up to five or six with the force…he only had moments before he burnt himself out just to keep up.

He ducked another high blow wincing at the pain from crouching.  He could take little more as he sent another blast of force energy into his opponent’s core, he twisted the energy as it hit into a grip and squeezed, Jarys buckled but a surge of energy pushed Soryu’s attempt off.

“Get away!”  came a gurgling yell, Soryu was wrenched away with the force, “He’s mine!” 

Doubtless Yoren thought he was making a valiant charge, but Soryu could see him stumbling like a drunk, so inebriated he didn’t realise his sabre was swinging wildly.  He pushed himself forward with all the strength he could…but he was too late. 

The implacable Jarys had Yorens throat in one hand, his sabre hand in the other crushing the fingers into the hilt mingling bone and metal in dripping red.  A sickening wet crack sounded as Yorens throat was crushed.

Soryu stumbled on jelly legs, but it was hopeless, he was burnt out, bleeding, and crippled.  The near invincible Aethan stalked toward him, red lighting already healing the injuries Yoren had inflicted.

He flopped onto the stairs, sparing a glance for the three Jedi Jarys had killed at the start of the fight…he was soon to join them….

His sabre was ripped from his hand with the force and straight onto Jarys belt, he felt himself lifted to a sitting position as he closed to a hands space from his face, one armoured hand on his neck the other on his left shoulder staunching the blood in a vice like grip.

The Aethan stared at him in a strange way, a sadness and an envy,

“For our daughter, Soryu,” Jarys said.  Red lighting arced over his face and down his body from Jarys hands, a strange smell of sweet blood filled his nostrils….he could feel…strength…healing flowing into him…his bones knitting, his wounds sealing….

He didn’t know how long they stood like that but when it was over he felt…whole…

He stared dumbfounded as the Aethan wandered off, paused then looked toward the ceiling…a sudden surge of the force echoed from high above them, a churning maelstrom of energy, unlike anything he had felt since Valens had fought Sevra years ago. 

“Why” he called to Jarys,

The armoured figure half vanished down the corridor,

“I told you…for our daughter,”
****************************************************************************************

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #213 on: March 16, 2018, 04:22:22 AM »

YES!!! I didn't actually think it would happen, but I hoped so. This is why I actually like Jarys more than Valens. There is something about him that will allow some compassion to flow. No he doesn't particularly care if Soryu lives or dies, but what he wants above all else is for Milaea to be happy, and be with him. He knows if he kills Soryu, there is a good chance that Milaea will never forgive him, and he can't bear the pain of it. He has searched too long for his family.

At least, that's how I see it. Wink

Wonderfully written chapters. I hate to see all these people dying, but the story telling that is mingled with excellent combat and action scenes is incredible. Usually I can keep up with, and understand what is going on in the battle scenes, but when Valens and Jarys fight together, it is a bit more difficult. Well done.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #214 on: March 16, 2018, 02:21:14 PM »

So close to some of the core objectives, the brothers Aethan tear through the Jedi Order's very core, like a whirlwind of oblivion, none standing longer than a toy would before a stomping foot, and yet we see that they are not completely without heart.  Soryu spared for having cared for Mili.  I have to wonder, now that Valens is free of the weight, anger, pain, and decay of the dead souls, will he exhibit a more balanced self as well?  Time will tell.

Wonderful chapters.  I have one point to bring up; in the fight with the brothers against the Sentinels, it felt very difficult to follow which brother was acting.  I re-read it several times, and it felt like some of the lines started giving one brother the action, and then the other's name used.  If this was an intentional blurring of perspective, then you have hit it spot on.  If not, it's easy sometimes to get confused in such places.  For me, my big struggle that I usually have to go back and check two or three times is tense.  I switch too much between past and present tense, and have to correct that often. 

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #215 on: March 16, 2018, 02:45:10 PM »

Amazing chapters.  I had the same thought as Illyiss - it was hard to tell which brother was fighting.  But I am pretty sure you did it intentionally, since the concept of their unique battle meld is that they literally flow into each other and become one person with two bodies.  Or something close to that anyway.  Its more complete than even the meld that Karmack and Arnor share, and they're pretty darned close.

As far as Jarys healing Soryu: I think it was done for the reasons stated: For Millaea, for the way he shepherded her and guided her - and protected her from Kimar.  Soryu also protected Valens and Sofa and their relationship.  If he'd outed them early on, it might have made Valens job a LOT harder.  But even more than that, I think the reason they decided to do it this way was because of all the Jedi masters, Soryu and Yoda are the two that the Aethans found to be honest and honorable.  So that's who they're leaving behind to rebuild the order.

The crystal imbalance, while devestating, is not fatal and could be corrected.  (who knew it would take 600 years???)  And through this they are effectively purging the Jedi of Kimar and his ilk.  I imagine that the vast majority of Jedi who are not shielded by humility and understanding like Soryu will fall to the Dark, whether they live or die.  The Jedi who remain will form a core that is far better and more honorable, a solid core to rebuild around.

In a real sense, the Aethans are helping the Jedi.  Just in a very ... horrible way.  Tough love?  Maybe.  In many ways, if Kimar wasn't such an amoral opportunist none of this would have happened...

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #216 on: March 16, 2018, 03:25:04 PM »

This was actually one of my favorite chapters: from the brothers' interactions to Soryu's Healing, it really shows the duality of the Aethans.  But it also reminds me of Raistlin Majere from the Dragonlance Books (and maybe the Lannister House Words): ALWAYS repay your debts.  Sorya was just that: no more, no less; a debt to be repaid.

As far as the battle meld, I thought that was done brilliantly!  The whole becomes more than the sum of its parts and the brothers even moreso from their experiences during their training with Andis.  I feel with that level of empathy/aetheric skill, one would see through both sets of eyes and it would be as natural as breathing.

Karm: good point; inadvertently, the brothers helped to "clear the detritus" of the Jedi...but it seems that even with 580 years to redirect, the Jedi Order STILL had its fundamental flaws in place...but one could surmise that the influence of the crystal imbalance was a major factor (WONDERFUL continuity!!) and of course Palpy's machinations  Wink

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #217 on: March 16, 2018, 03:50:32 PM »

One thing I love (PAY ATTENTION, DISNEY!) is that we gave the "veil of the force" that plagued the Jedi up to Order 66 a viable back-story.  Other than a powerful Sith somehow blocking the entire Jedi order from using the Force anyway. 

Yeah, its a retcon, but its still better than anything official.  LOL

What's happening to the Jedi reminds me of debriding a wound, cutting away all the dead flesh and scar tissue.  It hurts and is damaging but essential to healing.  But you're right, the fundamental Jedi flaws remain, but those have been there ever since the original split of the Jedi from the original Je'Daii teachings...

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #218 on: March 16, 2018, 04:25:18 PM »

Oh, this is definitely a needed cleansing of the Order, though perhaps the bloodiest way possible, with so much death of those not truly involved, the citizens of Coruscant.  As well, the imbalance in the Force also gives potential credence to so much of what we know comes in the future, in cannon. 

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #219 on: March 16, 2018, 08:52:21 PM »

Umm. Yeah that was intentional...sure let's go with that... actually it made sense to me how it flowed...still does after a re read I must be too close to it to see the issue...but works either way luckily! Will work on that in future!

Lord_S_Gray

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #220 on: March 17, 2018, 02:00:10 AM »

Chapter 48
Milaea
She bounded up the Temple steps, taking them five…six at a time, traversing the vast empty hallways in three steps…space and time seemed to bend to her will as she moved.   

The whole Temple seemed to be deserted…everyone out trying to stem the madness Kiraea had unleashed for that very purpose…to give Valens and his brother a free hand.

She suddenly pulled up as she reached the stairway to the operations room, Soryu sat looking completely perplexed beside a collection of Jedi corpses, Yoren among them.

He looked up to her,

“Milaea…are you alight….”

“What happened here….” She said, her meaning in the force made it clear she wasn’t asking about the corpses...rather why he wasn’t one of them.

“I don’t know…The Sith of Cygrat…Jarys he called himself…he…healed me…said it was for ‘our daughter’…” he replied staring at his hands, flexing his fingers…She could sense it…Jarys hadn’t just healed him, he’d given Soryu a good twenty or thirty years back…while nothing compared to what Milaea had done to Sofa…it was dramatic nonetheless – the mirror of the destruction they could unleash.

“He said that…” she said mostly to herself…Jarys or Valens could’ve crushed Soryu injured as he had been…Jarys himself had no reason to spare him…unless Valens had told him how Soryu had raised her…

A sudden surge in the force in the Council chamber high above them, with a youthful vigour he hadn’t known for years Soryu leapt up,

“No…” she zoomed to his side and placed her arm on his shoulder,
“You won’t be safe up there…”

He looked at her oddly as her meaning flowed into his mind as the pulsing energy that twisted time reverberated through the force even down here…

“I’m the only one who can stop this…” she said sadly uncertain of exactly what she would have to do to achieve that.

He nodded through wet eyes, a sense of finality suffused the air between them…something dramatic was to unfold in the Council Chamber.

“Whatever you do Milaea…so long as it’s what you believe is right…I’m proud of you…”

Suddenly she was looking at herself…through Soryu’s eyes…not as she was in reality…but how he saw her, his dreams for his daughter…the perfect embodiment of the living force…the saviour to restore the Jedi and the galaxy…a white light shone behind her like the halo of a benevolent deity…and felt his love her for…

She gave him what she feared was the last smile he would ever get from her, and with a squeeze of his shoulder headed forward.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
She stepped into the main gallery around the Turbo lifts.  Tall, broad shouldered, a demi-god in battered armour turned to regard her.

But his face was not that of an implacable warrior…but the broken gaze of a victim of circumstances beyond all control.

Her father…Jarys…military short cut dark hair, blue eyes, the bold and competitive young man…turned to the despondent, war weary warrior.  The Beast of the Arena, The Sith of Cygrat, now the Bane of Jedi…all these things he was…yet had no wish to be.  He had come here for her, and through his eyes as she saw herself she understood why.

She was to him the living embodiment of all that he had lost, he saw Cilina in every curve of her face, the destruction of his society in Milaea’s ignorance of their traditions.  His lost opportunity to become just a father, husband, strong, just and caring leader of his people…losses so painful to him that he clung to so tightly, for without that he would be nothing but the killer the galaxy had forced him to be. 

He didn’t say anything, just looked at her, finally recognising her as his child, and regretting deeply having fought her on Cygrat.  Whatever he may have done…she could not condemn him…from his point of view the Jedi had attacked him, and worse his brother unprovoked…over simplified though his thinking was…his whole life was fighting wars others had started.

He didn’t even move, his tremor sword in his hand simply dropped to the floor with hollow clatter.  The force continued to twist and turn above them, she stepped forward.  He wouldn’t stop her. 

Through his eyes she saw herself the only spark of hope for his people and himself…he knew the old ways were dead…yet could not see what to replace them with…

Once more time and space rocked within her mind as whatever was being unleashed above tore at reality.

Both her father’s saw in her their hopes and dreams, she didn’t want to disappoint either, but how could she ever reconcile their visions.
*********************************************************************************************************

Lord_S_Gray

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #221 on: March 17, 2018, 04:00:42 PM »

Introspection as Milaea begins to understand the dissonance of the hopes, expectations placed on her by others, and her own feelings of what she wants for herself.  She sees the death, the destruction, but even as it should shock and sicken, she understands it, sees it for the process that brought it to being.  What will she decide, in the chamber above, will be forgive Valens as she has Jarys, and will she see Kimar as the festering wound in the heart of the Jedi?

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #222 on: March 17, 2018, 07:20:40 PM »

Milaea is in that horrible position where no matter what she does someone will be disappointed.  But I think I see the kernel of the tipping balance in Soryu.  He's given her the out she may need in the end to satisfy her own sanity: He will be proud of her, whatever she decides.  He is trusting her completely to make the best decision she can when all the options are bad. 

As always, I am utterly impressed with Soryu.  His legacy and the wisdom of Yoda are probably the only reason the Jedi don't slag down completely at this point, and carry on with any moral authority into the future.  Even with the baggage they don't ever totally manage to jettison.

Still, I am utterly fascinated with what Valens is up to in the council chamber and I can't wait to see exactly how this all plays out.  I do hope that Jarys, finally, gets to be a father and simple leader of his people....

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #223 on: March 18, 2018, 03:26:34 AM »

Chapter 49
The Grand Master

“What is being done!” Chancellor Orvith screamed through the hologram, the pale blue tinge of the image conflicting the red rage the Chancellor was exuding. 

“I assure you chancellor, the Jedi are doing everything possible, we have dispatched almost our entire force…”

“Almost, I want them all out there…my aides have been overwhelmed trying to placate the media, I need this under control now…”

Every news channel was filled with reports on the terrorist attacks exploding across the city, and the latest report of what seemed to be of Jedi fighting on the main hover car lane to the works.

“I will do so immediately Chancellor, let me assure you that…”

“Frell your assurances,” the Duros screamed, “you can’t even keep your own house in order….”

He paused collecting his thoughts,

“I want the heads of whoever did this…and I do not mean that figuratively…you talk a big game on maintaining justice in the Republic…if you don’t sort this out….”

His threat was vague…there was little the chancellor could do to him personally but he could make life difficult for the Order as a whole.

“Understood Chancellor, it will be done,” he sank back into his chair as the holo slammed off. 

The council chamber was empty apart from him, lit only by the dim glows of the cities lights. 

How had it come to this…complete madmen loose on Coruscant…his order falling apart…they had let the rancors in, Soryu and Yoda…now he was paying the price.

“Yoda wasn’t the one who immediately reacted with force,” a helmet distorted voice from the dark called

He leapt up, his sabre lit the room with a soft yellow glow…he used the force and all his senses but couldn’t find where the voice had come from

“Valens…show yourself coward,” he called

A soft laugh filled the room,

“I come to the heart of my enemies stronghold and I am the coward…” he heard rustling, movement…but couldn’t pick where from or if it were a mere distraction.

“You should’ve taken my offer Kimar…faced me in the hangar…I didn’t want a fight with the whole Order…” Kimar kept his eyes moving and as he moved to the centre of the chamber, his guard high ready for any attack.

“…but you…you I always intended to come back for,” there was something…something not quite right just between two of the chairs…the space was empty to his eyes and yet…not.

“You killed my wife…I swore I would make you suffer…Now….Shall We Begin?”

A green blade burst to life in the space he had been staring at, the black armoured form of Valens charged at him, he moved forward to parry and…the green blade simply sliced through his with no impact…an illusio…

His shin exploded into shards of bone as something hard and heavy smashed into it through his calf muscle.  He turned to the source of the attack with a mid-sweep and a force push, yellow caught on the true green blade, the push crashed into a force shield exploding the air between them as energies clashed. 

He was not the Grand Master of the Jedi for nothing, he ripped every seat from the floor and hurled them at Valens as he sprang up into a high cut, that was parried as the seats simply stopped dead in the air and dropped. 

Their blades twisted in a death flurry so fast the yellow and green mingled into a very light almost white chartreuse glow against the dark blue night.  Force energies smashed against each other for all sides, each trying to pin or crush the other.  Seats flew, window smashed inwards as he used the shard to try and slice his enemy apart. 

The marble beneath them started to crack, their blade work evenly matched, his robe singed, small glances sparked against the armour. 

He could win this, he knew it….the force was with him, he was the Grand Master of the Jedi in the very heart of the Temple.  He pushed his attack as the blue flickers of light appeared on the armour…yes he had seen Valens fight in the hangar, he knew this trick.  He was ready. 

The flickering blue arcs began to channel over him, he let them come using the force to stream the energy smoothly around his form and back at Valens, guiding it to the blasters on his hip frying the circuits.  Yes he had observed the whole fight in the hangar very carefully…Yoren had thought him cowardly for not engaging Valens directly, Kimar didn’t care, letting those fools charge him had gained him invaluable knowledge of his potential. 

He pressed forward with a heavy blow, Valens was trying to use his perceptual illusions…it was a mere distraction, Kimar could easily use he force to pierce them.  He felt an unusual tug at his sabre as it parried a low thrust…as if it were fighting against its place in space time…he had heard of such techniques but never seen it…he pushed against the pull as he mentally prepared for what he anticipated was Valens next trick…his null field.

He sent a force blinding flash against the Aethan, but as expected he easily dimmed it and indeed absorbed the energy and turned it back on him as a Malacia attack that was strong but not quite enough.  A subtle breeze of energy as his glass daggers spun out behind him, Kimar batted his cut aside and twirled to slash them apart before meeting the attack at his exposed back. 

As the conflagration continued with knees and elbows added to the array of weapons on display, he was surprised Valens hadn’t tried the null yet…what was he waiting for…a thin line of sweat began to trickle down his face…was it getting hot or….his breathing suddenly became ragged…he felt the heat welling inside of him…his muscles felt sluggish yet tight…Kimar’s parry failed to connect as his muscles took too long to relax and contract…Valens sabre slashed through his arm at the elbow…

The cut was quick and only partially cauterized…the blood that jetted out…was half steaming…not from the sabres energy but from within him!  It had been building the whole time…too subtle for him to notice…too late for him to stop. 

He knocked the next slash back, but missed the kick to his good leg, the knee cracked backwards unnaturally as he fell.  His face fell in horror as he realized Valens had been toying with him the whole time, Valens knew he had watched the fight and prepared, he had played him this whole time.

He used every calming and healing technique he knew to ease the pain…it was not enough…his blood was being boiled internally, his bodies thermal balance wrecked and cellular metabolism collapsing as a result…an ingenious combination of Malacia and pyrokinesis …the green sabre sliced through his left leg as Valens vice grip crushed his remaining wrist.

It was over…he had lost…he flopped backward but Valens kept him up, almost gratuitously severing his remaining leg and arm before pushing him face down on the cracked floor and dragging him backward.

“Now we can finally begin,” 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Valens crouched beside him, stabbing a knife of some kind into his back once…twice…he stopped counting after that as his body went numb from the neck down…he felt the force stanching the flow of blood…even healing him…he was cutting off his nerves but keeping him alive ….

The gloved hands grasped his head and turned his face toward the far window,

“Now you’ll see Kimar..now you’ll see the Legacy we leave the Jedi and the Republic,”  he felt the force churn and twist - the room spun yet stayed still…it was repaired, bright in the orange glow of Coruscants sun, the seats all occupied…faces he didn’t know except…

Yoda….older…much older…but Yoda…a boy stood before them…nervous
“Good, good, young one. How feel you?” his voice was older, crackly
“Cold, sir.” The boy replied
“Afraid are you?”
“No, sir.”
“Afraid to give up your life?” a dark skinned Jedi asked
“I don't think so.” He seemed hesitant
“See through you, we can.” Yoda noted
“Be mindful of your feelings...” the dark skinned Jedi
“Your thoughts dwell on your mother.” A Cerean
“I miss her.”
“Afraid to lose her..I think.”

Kimar felt the boys annoyance “What's that got to do with anything?”

“Everything. Fear is the path to the dark side... fear leads to anger... anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.”
Kimar couldn’t agree more with the sentiment, yet the manner it was delivered left him troubled.

The boy reacted angrily “I am not afraid!”

His vision started to blur, the weight of his injuries dragged him into blackness,

“Keep awake..” he felt a jolt of energy from Valens…as painful as it was revitalizing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The scene moved…the same boy…no a man now…many similar faces in the room yet…it was further away…the future

“Allow this appointment lightly, the Council does not. Disturbing is this move by Chancellor Palpatine. “ Yoda said, he looked weary…as if he had aged another century in the time it took this boy to grow into a man

“I understand. “ the man replied evenly

“You are on this Council, but we do not grant you the rank of Master. “ the dark skinned Jedi added
The anger…the indignation swept through the centuries like a red wind into Kimars face

“What? ! How can you do this?? This is outrageous, it's unfair .”

“Take a seat, young Skywalker.” the dark skinned Jedi warned

“Forgive me, Master.” This Skywalker replied with more cynicism than sincerity.

“What is this…” Kimar managed to splurt out…
“The future of your Order…” Valens replied calmly
There was a sudden blast of death…betrayal…darkness swept over the chambers…Skywalker was there again…but changed…a blue sabre alight slicing small figures to pieces…

The building churned and shifted…a throne appeared and upon it…darkness that seethed through time to make Kimar want to retch…the very soul of the Sith…withered, hanging green skin, eyes of sickening yellow…and beside him…Skywalker, no longer a man but machine…a black weapon of hate and fury…the phantoms of the Jedi lay dead at their feet…

“No…” he crackled as the darkness seeped into his wounds….

“How….”

“This is your Legacy Kimar…and mine by preventing you from remaking the Order…it will stay trapped between your dogmatism and Soryu’s idealism…their Knights willingly offered as Generals and soldiers when the Republic calls…just as you might have wished…yet in constant tension with their training as peacemakers idealising unlimited compassion and charity - a strain embodied in this Skywalker...Yoda and Windu demanding he remain an unfeeling obedient warrior offering no reward for success because to reward violence is not the Jedi way…arrogantly believing they can deny emotions their due, fulfilling their own terrible prophecy, obliviously handing the galaxy to the Sith….” 

“No…” his tears mingled with his blood as Valens ceased suppressing his injuries…

“What have I done…I can’t…didn’t mean…” the pain excruciating…not the physical pain….

“there must be something…someone…”

“There is only life, and death,” Valens said coolly,

“ENOUGH” came a strong voice from across the room.

Valens boot smashed his skull into the floor…the Grand Masters neurons flickered with just enough energy as his brain slushed out to recognise the voice.
***************************************************************************************

Lord_S_Gray

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #224 on: March 18, 2018, 04:07:05 AM »

What a...

INCREDIBLE Chapter!!!

This, THIS(!), chapter was absolutely amazing!  Even though Kimar is reprehensible and his methods are questionable (at best) and detestable (at worst), I have some sympathy for him.  But, on the obverse, I also cannot completely blame Valens for his motives in doing so to Kimar.  And--let's face it--twenty years planning revenge is a long time to work out the details...

...But for Kimar, the worst is the realization, the certainty, that he is at least partly responsible for the fall of the Jedi Order.  Now THAT is REVENGE.

LSG, you've outdone yourself: this chapter was absolutely fantastic!  AND tying it into canon the way you did?!  SUPERB!!

BTW: LOVE the Benedict Cumberbatch call-back to Illyiss' observation  Wink

...Seriously, this one was truly a favorite of mine: the pathos is BEYOND incredible, you are a master storyteller!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: