Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31   Go Down
Author Topic: Makeshift Unorthodox Costume (In Progress)  (Read 35561 times)
DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2020, 08:43:23 PM »

Too true, especially considering one huge potential advantage you didn't mention that you would have in the SW universe. I was thinking wood with metal tip at first, but yes a full beskar spear (although harder to procure that quantity of material/ kill a Mandalorian with one and take it) would be monumentally easier to deflect lightsabers with. And again yes, having that ridiculous reach is great against especially multiple opponents. And it'd be amazingly cool to learn to fight with that one handed with a lightsaber in an off hand. Like spear & shield combat replacing the shield with a short sword that cuts through most objects. Like you said, that spear tip could pierce even (and especially) some armor even lightsabers can't. By using the Force to augment your strength or Force throwing it in an accelerated manner like a lightsaber toss except straight, you might be able to skewer multiple enemies into a shish-ka-bob even.
But, getting back to my initial point, your biggest advantage in SW universe is that a lightsaber has no weight. It's not an issue generally since saber vs saber that's irrelevant, and in other contact situations they tend to slice through so weightlessness is a non issue. Now VS your spear they're kinda screwed because you have leverage to throw their blade around and parry it like nothing with the spear's weight and momentum. Conversely they can manipulate a "light as air" blade faster and redirect quicker than you but are also not likely heavily trained VS solid objects in this manner... Sith with extensive training in these areas would be your main problem, or using ancient/classical Sith weapons. In all honesty if I saw you with that thing and only had my saberstaff I'd think twice about how else to win that fight knowing it could turn very desperate very quickly with the number of options that weapon opens. Hell, even pole vaulting into the air, or stabbing my leg or foot and piercing them in place before drawing your lightsaber to kill me or try to capture me wounded. Also countering the light whip we're both fond of is much more possible in my mind with this type of weapon. You're quite dangerous for wanting to use such a thing, and being able to justify it to Jedi Masters no less... mad respect.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #121 on: December 09, 2020, 09:08:44 PM »

Too true, especially considering one huge potential advantage you didn't mention that you would have in the SW universe. I was thinking wood with metal tip at first, but yes a full beskar spear (although harder to procure that quantity of material/ kill a Mandalorian with one and take it) would be monumentally easier to deflect lightsabers with. And again yes, having that ridiculous reach is great against especially multiple opponents. And it'd be amazingly cool to learn to fight with that one handed with a lightsaber in an off hand. Like spear & shield combat replacing the shield with a short sword that cuts through most objects. Like you said, that spear tip could pierce even (and especially) some armor even lightsabers can't. By using the Force to augment your strength or Force throwing it in an accelerated manner like a lightsaber toss except straight, you might be able to skewer multiple enemies into a shish-ka-bob even.
But, getting back to my initial point, your biggest advantage in SW universe is that a lightsaber has no weight. It's not an issue generally since saber vs saber that's irrelevant, and in other contact situations they tend to slice through so weightlessness is a non issue. Now VS your spear they're kinda screwed because you have leverage to throw their blade around and parry it like nothing with the spear's weight and momentum. Conversely they can manipulate a "light as air" blade faster and redirect quicker than you but are also not likely heavily trained VS solid objects in this manner... Sith with extensive training in these areas would be your main problem, or using ancient/classical Sith weapons. In all honesty if I saw you with that thing and only had my saberstaff I'd think twice about how else to win that fight knowing it could turn very desperate very quickly with the number of options that weapon opens. Hell, even pole vaulting into the air, or stabbing my leg or foot and piercing them in place before drawing your lightsaber to kill me or try to capture me wounded. Also countering the light whip we're both fond of is much more possible in my mind with this type of weapon. You're quite dangerous for wanting to use such a thing, and being able to justify it to Jedi Masters no less... mad respect.
Thank you. Very good point regarding the weight of a Beskar staff/spear relative to a lightsaber. Trading some speed for power can be very useful, either against standard sabers and exotic sabers as you mentioned, but also against armor, as I mentioned. Even if I am unable to easily pierce solid Beskar armor with my spear, that extra mass the staff/spear has relative to a lightsaber means that even if I can't pierce the armor, even "just" making contact with swings to the body, limbs, and head can still knock them down, or off their feet, or at least stagger them making them more vulnerable to being targeted in places not covered by armor (either by the staff or with an off-hand saber perhaps), or even by a downwards stab with a ton of force when they're downed.

The good thing is that it's still essentially a staff-based weapon, so practice with a bo staff and saberstaff will still carry over greatly, just the center balance wouldn't be exactly in the middle (unless I put some sort of counterweight on the opposite end, and instead of the entire saber blades being "cutting surfaces" only the spearhead would be a cutting surface. But skill with one would have a lot of carryover for the other, so I wouldn't be terribly disadvantaged in skill using one relative to the other.

Hell, I already have a 6' wooden staff with a 1.25" diameter. Maybe I just buy that sparring-usable Beskar-modeled spearhead that they say fits a 1.25" staff/rod/etc, and then give the staff a nice spray paint with some metallic paint, and then a clear coat or two.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2020, 09:35:36 PM »

The good thing is that it's still essentially a staff-based weapon, so practice with a bo staff and saberstaff will still carry over greatly, just the center balance wouldn't be exactly in the middle (unless I put some sort of counterweight on the opposite end, and instead of the entire saber blades being "cutting surfaces" only the spearhead would be a cutting surface. But skill with one would have a lot of carryover for the other, so I wouldn't be terribly disadvantaged in skill using one relative to the other.

Hell, I already have a 6' wooden staff with a 1.25" diameter. Maybe I just buy that sparring-usable Beskar-modeled spearhead that they say fits a 1.25" staff/rod/etc, and then give the staff a nice spray paint with some metallic paint, and then a clear coat or two.

While you're at it you can mark the "true balance point" on it before the clear coat. Or wrap a foot (6 inches above and below that point) with leather or the wrap you use to show you that point visually. Maybe writing a saying translated into Mando 'a centered on that point on on 4 sides of the spear shaft before the clear coat. Tons of options, but if you're assembling it like you say you could just counter balance it. Either way I bet you'll have some fun.

Sadly I don't know where I can watch the Mandalorian so I've been avoiding it like the plague... EVIL commercial ads and freakin wookiepedia suggestions/links ruined like 2 things for me already no matter how hard I try. I'm wishing seriously slow painful deaths upon the idiots in the respective advertising departments that thought it was a good idea to just throw scenes around like that or reference characters in un related articles like it's fine. I refuse to believe it's "safe" just throwing spoilers around so casually without regard, alerts, or ability to skip those ads permanently on say youtube. It's not like the whole planet's SW fans have Disney Plus or wtf ever. They have earned much hate, considering this is the best live action SW I've had to look foward to since Solo. Yes, barely contained seething rage. I'll put it into my outfit work, how fitting. No pun intended.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2020, 09:52:54 PM »

While you're at it you can mark the "true balance point" on it before the clear coat. Or wrap a foot (6 inches above and below that point) with leather or the wrap you use to show you that point visually. Maybe writing a saying translated into Mando 'a centered on that point on on 4 sides of the spear shaft before the clear coat. Tons of options, but if you're assembling it like you say you could just counter balance it. Either way I bet you'll have some fun.
All good ideas, thank you. If I do go with one of the printed plastic spearheads, I don't think it would add so much weight that I'd need to counterbalance it, as opposed to if I was using an actual metal spearhead, so I think I'll just go with some marking at the balance point, like you said. Perhaps just the word "BALANCE" written in Mandalorian, as it is both quite literally the balance point on the saber, but also representative of the goal to balance oneself, and balance the Force.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2020, 10:45:37 PM »

All good ideas, thank you. If I do go with one of the printed plastic spearheads, I don't think it would add so much weight that I'd need to counterbalance it, as opposed to if I was using an actual metal spearhead, so I think I'll just go with some marking at the balance point, like you said. Perhaps just the word "BALANCE" written in Mandalorian, as it is both quite literally the balance point on the saber, but also representative of the goal to balance oneself, and balance the Force.

Ok, that made me laugh and is something I'd see myself doing so +1 Point for you on the simple yet ironic choice, at first glance almost a joke to someone thinking simply; but like the best MA proverbs masters throw at you, if you dig past the first few layers of knowledge and meaning you get to the deeper insights. That's like the most true to a Grey Jedi thought process and quote choice I could see someone throwing on there... very well done indeed. If I make a Grey Sith outfit and customize a lightsaber to go with it I'll have to steal that to engrave on the hilt in Kittât or High Sith. A post I was reading makes me really want to paint a "display only" saber... that may be a worthy candidate in the running for limited cosplay use solely.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2020, 11:56:19 PM »

Fishing line or the Force?

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2020, 04:51:06 AM »

Fishing line or the Force?

Def the Force.

LOL this is too cool. I too own one of those Child dolls and to be honest that thing was begging for this kind of photo treatment, it's just so realistic looking. And did you make the control knob yourself? I made one myself out of a foosball. There are a ton of little props for this little guy that can be readily gotten and/or made. Point!

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2020, 12:13:57 AM »

Def the Force.

LOL this is too cool. I too own one of those Child dolls and to be honest that thing was begging for this kind of photo treatment, it's just so realistic looking. And did you make the control knob yourself? I made one myself out of a foosball. There are a ton of little props for this little guy that can be readily gotten and/or made. Point!
The Child I got as a gift came with a plastic knob (and a plastic frog and bowl too).

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #128 on: December 12, 2020, 02:46:32 AM »

I know masks are really only popular due to the pandemic, but they do have some level of presence in the Star Wars universe as well, and this one looks like it may go really well with my costume, being grey and black. They have a variety of colors too, and I could see some of them looking really good with a hood as well.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2020, 03:05:51 PM »

Yep seen several good mask setups out there, but it is more that just out of simple necessity I suspect. I posted somewhere before about it, but they are rather prevalent in lore and use in general. If you think about it almost every Sith Lord you see wears or winds up wearing a mask at one point, the notable exceptions being Sidious since masks aren't discreet (and he seems too proud to "hide" his face once he's ascended anyway), and Count Dooku likely for similar reasons and maybe lingering ideology in his head. Who truly knows why those two don't but in movies Kylo Ren, Vader, and Maul (his permanently tattooed face) basically balance it out. In games and books they also fall heavy mask but nearly 50-50 leaning toward more masks. Although in KOTOR 1 & 2 masks are also heavily available, many Sith wear them, and there are breathing apparatus similar to the mask you've shown.

I know I'll integrate one, I do agree that one will go very well with your overall style. I kind of want to go full face covered though instead, since that was the plan for mine and they're less prevalent and much creepier. Luckily since masks are common enough in society you can easily add one into an outfit without people calling you a Dark Lord or some such. I seriously like the one you found though, I've always loved the subzero/scorpion type of mask. Probably why I never complained once it became mandatory, since part of me has fun wearing one around and having different styles. I need to make a good Sith logo one still.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2020, 03:46:07 PM »

Yep seen several good mask setups out there, but it is more that just out of simple necessity I suspect. I posted somewhere before about it, but they are rather prevalent in lore and use in general. If you think about it almost every Sith Lord you see wears or winds up wearing a mask at one point, the notable exceptions being Sidious since masks aren't discreet (and he seems too proud to "hide" his face once he's ascended anyway), and Count Dooku likely for similar reasons and maybe lingering ideology in his head. Who truly knows why those two don't but in movies Kylo Ren, Vader, and Maul (his permanently tattooed face) basically balance it out. In games and books they also fall heavy mask but nearly 50-50 leaning toward more masks. Although in KOTOR 1 & 2 masks are also heavily available, many Sith wear them, and there are breathing apparatus similar to the mask you've shown.

I know I'll integrate one, I do agree that one will go very well with your overall style. I kind of want to go full face covered though instead, since that was the plan for mine and they're less prevalent and much creepier. Luckily since masks are common enough in society you can easily add one into an outfit without people calling you a Dark Lord or some such. I seriously like the one you found though, I've always loved the subzero/scorpion type of mask. Probably why I never complained once it became mandatory, since part of me has fun wearing one around and having different styles. I need to make a good Sith logo one still.
You bring up good points. A full face mask would be better suited for the dark side than the light side in general I'd say, although every rule has its exceptions (see Mando almost always wearing a mask but being a "good guy"). A nose/mouth mask seems to be a compliment to an outfit, while a full face mask seems to be more of a prominent part of the outfit, or even the defining characteristic of the wearer at times. See Vader, Kylo, Nihilus, Revan, etc. So if that's the look you're going for, I totally get it.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2020, 05:52:23 PM »

The Child I got as a gift came with a plastic knob (and a plastic frog and bowl too).

Oh cool, I think I've seen that set around somewhere. Very neat!

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #132 on: December 13, 2020, 02:43:20 AM »

Just checking out some potential alternative costume ideas for fun, and came across some Japanese Samurai inspired options.

Samurai Pants (in black or grey) for $54 (also in red for a bit more from a Canadian seller):

Kimono (black) for $25 (also in red or white for a bit more from a Canadian seller):

Vest (black and gold or red and gold) for $43:

So $122 for all 3, or just under $100 with the more minimalist option of just the pants and the vest with no kimono under it.

You can see an example of all 3 pieces here:

Or different colors without the kimono:

I think it looks pretty in-universe for Star Wars, and I do already have the arm-wraps that would go with an option that included some grey in it.

I know it's already pretty similar to my outfit, but I figured I'd throw some options out there for anyone who may be looking for ideas from scratch and wants something different than your typical Jedi or Sith robes.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #133 on: December 13, 2020, 03:19:36 AM »

The Vest strikes me as very Palpatine, which I guess makes sense with fashion on Naboo being "traditional" and strikingly Japanese in the fashion you see in those movies showing their planet. Looking through his walk-in closet would be hilariously varied. Ancient honorary outfit for traditional occasions, clean more modern political finery, ornate and fine silk pajamas with emblem of his house, jet black hooded robe... one of these things is not like the others, even slightly?

I'm debating a variation of the vest now... you're liable to bankrupt me, my bargain shopping is dangerously close to turning into impulse buying.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #134 on: December 13, 2020, 03:28:01 AM »

those are very interesting pieces and I think they would need a few sci fi items to better star warsy the outfit.

As far as the mask discussion: My suggestion for your Gray character would be some kind of half mask to reinforce the duality of his Force affiliation…Full mask for full dark…just an idea

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: