Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31   Go Down
Author Topic: Makeshift Unorthodox Costume (In Progress)  (Read 35612 times)
DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #195 on: January 03, 2021, 03:11:21 AM »

Now that is a question for the ages. I'd say it's a lightsaber with a spear, since the lightsaber came first, then the extension, then the spear on the extension. As for merciful or taunting:

Funny since I suppose it's just a matter of perspective. To you it came 1st since you modded the lightsaber, but in SW traditional weapons predated lightsabers so you can argue the spear came 1st. But if it's a spear of lightsaber resistant material it was designed to combat lightsabers... so yea, chicken and the egg. Just playing Devil's advocate.
As to the second part, guess there truly are fates crueler than death.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #196 on: January 03, 2021, 03:17:35 AM »

Funny since I suppose it's just a matter of perspective. To you it came 1st since you modded the lightsaber, but in SW traditional weapons predated lightsabers so you can argue the spear came 1st. But if it's a spear of lightsaber resistant material it was designed to combat lightsabers... so yea, chicken and the egg.
As to the second part, guess there truly are fates crueler than death.
You bring up good points again. We'll just call it balance. "Something, something, something, bring balance to  the force."

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #197 on: January 03, 2021, 06:12:02 AM »

Master Venturous, if I may ask a question since you stopped by... Are you aware who, or could you point me in the right direction toward the individual who adapted Jar' Kai to use a saberstaff in one hand and a more standard lightsaber in the other? I wish to seek out their guidance, or simply view some video of their exploits/training if such exists. I ask out of personal interest but also because someone else here (on the forum) had broached the question. This is the link for that topic if you wished to reply or post there directly: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=46614.0 Thank you in advance for your consideration of this matter. And may I say I'm a big fan of the outfits you've put together as well, let alone your work with a lightsaber. Impressive on both counts.

I'm sorry, but I don't know of anyone who practices or teaches that particular setup. The only people I know of or think would dabble in such a thing would be Darth Cephalus, Master Resolute, and CH3M15T. Aside from that, I wouldn't know of anyone who actually teaches it.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #198 on: January 03, 2021, 08:03:21 AM »

I'm sorry, but I don't know of anyone who practices or teaches that particular setup. The only people I know of or think would dabble in such a thing would be Darth Cephalus, Master Resolute, and CH3M15T. Aside from that, I wouldn't know of anyone who actually teaches it.
I appreciate the information at any rate, it may prove helpful in the end.

@ SirLiftaLot: So, do you feel your outfit has approached a degree of completion? How close would you say it is to your ideal level? Will it remain a work in progress, evolving with desire or necessity... what else do you feel it needs/lacks if it is to grow beyond it's current state? I believe you'd agree it is wearable in it's current state/configuration. And you have different variants already to suit your mood or the weather... but I am curious (and may simply be forgetting) what you might want to do in addition or modify further.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #199 on: January 03, 2021, 11:47:46 AM »

I appreciate the information at any rate, it may prove helpful in the end.

@ SirLiftaLot: So, do you feel your outfit has approached a degree of completion? How close would you say it is to your ideal level? Will it remain a work in progress, evolving with desire or necessity... what else do you feel it needs/lacks if it is to grow beyond it's current state? I believe you'd agree it is wearable in it's current state/configuration. And you have different variants already to suit your mood or the weather... but I am curious (and may simply be forgetting) what you might want to do in addition or modify further.
I do think it's presentable. Some gloves are coming, more out of necessity than aesthetics, as some positions and grips and spins with the various staff configurations can really cut up the hands. I'm thinking perhaps some fingerless black lifting gloves will be a good compromise of value, maneuverability, and protection. So it is a work in progress to some degree, and will likely remain one on some level. As you said, I have a few variants, with two pants and two compression shirts, so I guess the only thing I can think for clothing would be an second over-layer/robe. I love the one I have, but it is pretty long, which is great for aesthetics, but having a shorter option may be something I consider at some point, perhaps. Other than that, I think I'm good. Perhaps something will pop up as an idea or a cool item to add though.

Although if I do go down a more physical sparring route, some padded equipment would be in order. Probably the black Century forearm and elbow pads that would replace the grey forearm wraps. Maybe some more padded lacrosse-style gloves too, and I assume some headgear. No idea what I'd use for that though if it's necessary. So always room for evolution!

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #200 on: January 03, 2021, 12:52:31 PM »

I do think it's presentable. Some gloves are coming, more out of necessity than aesthetics, as some positions and grips and spins with the various staff configurations can really cut up the hands. I'm thinking perhaps some fingerless black lifting gloves will be a good compromise of value, maneuverability, and protection. So it is a work in progress to some degree, and will likely remain one on some level. As you said, I have a few variants, with two pants and two compression shirts, so I guess the only thing I can think for clothing would be an second over-layer/robe. I love the one I have, but it is pretty long, which is great for aesthetics, but having a shorter option may be something I consider at some point, perhaps. Other than that, I think I'm good. Perhaps something will pop up as an idea or a cool item to add though.

Although if I do go down a more physical sparring route, some padded equipment would be in order. Probably the black Century forearm and elbow pads that would replace the grey forearm wraps. Maybe some more padded lacrosse-style gloves too, and I assume some headgear. No idea what I'd use for that though if it's necessary. So always room for evolution!
Yes, weather forced me to use gloves while Spin Wars filming and it surprised me the level of dexterity and grip I retained (I'd feared it would be drastically diminished, but thankfully not so) likely due to the fact they were leather gloves. Even a bit insulated, they didn't prove an issue in the slightest; lets say I was very pleasantly surprised to avoid the cold for at least a brief while. I have some of those fingerless gloves and meant to try them (figuring they'd be perfect marriage of palm/inner knuckle protection while keeping tactile sensation and grip... but I shamefully can't find them. I'll have to try them out too. Robes and cloaks are awesome visually, but true if too long (I know from experience) you may easily "step on it maneuvering" or otherwise trip yourself up. So best to do as in the films, and shed the outer layer before true engagements... Unless you have some way to "affix" them in a non obstructive place on your person. I have ideas I've yet to implement. Glad you still have some room for growth.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #201 on: January 03, 2021, 01:37:50 PM »

Yes, weather forced me to use gloves while Spin Wars filming and it surprised me the level of dexterity and grip I retained (I'd feared it would be drastically diminished, but thankfully not so) likely due to the fact they were leather gloves. Even a bit insulated, they didn't prove an issue in the slightest; lets say I was very pleasantly surprised to avoid the cold for at least a brief while. I have some of those fingerless gloves and meant to try them (figuring they'd be perfect marriage of palm/inner knuckle protection while keeping tactile sensation and grip... but I shamefully can't find them. I'll have to try them out too. Robes and cloaks are awesome visually, but true if too long (I know from experience) you may easily "step on it maneuvering" or otherwise trip yourself up. So best to do as in the films, and shed the outer layer before true engagements... Unless you have some way to "affix" them in a non obstructive place on your person. I have ideas I've yet to implement. Glad you still have some room for growth.
Leather gloves sound great for this, but I'm hoping the lifting gloves I have on the way will suffice. I know a lot of sparring recommends padded gloves, so finding a pair of those that don't inhibit movement terribly would be great, but we will see. It can limit movement a little more than what I'd use for pure exhibition purposes, but not much.

As for the robe/cardigan I have, I don't know if the issue is so much tripping over it as it is just it sometimes billowing out behind me and potentially interfering with behind the back spins. The front is held more or less in place by the belt, but I'd imagine more vigorous movement in sparring could loosen that as well. So I think if I was sparring, I'd have the turtleneck compression shirt, no robe, padded forearm and elbow guards, whatever padded gloves I end up getting, and whatever sufficient headgear I end up getting. I also already have a padded football girdle with thigh, hip, and tailbone pads, and an insert for a cup, which would go under the pants and not be visible at all.

As for the headgear, this guide/rules talk about light, medium, and heavy armor classifications, and light seems to little, and heavy too expensive, so I think medium would be a good balance, and what I mentioned would suffice (padded gloves, optional forearm/elbow pads, a cup, and headgear with mesh protecting the face and padding on all sides).

https://www.roguesaber.com/sport.php#mediumarmor

Now, it looks like even the cheapest fencing masks run $60+, and wouldn't be terribly out of place with my outfit I suppose. A hockey goalie mask really wouldn't match the look, and Kendo helmets seem to easily $100+, if not double that. Granted, I don't think I'll be doing that intense sparring super soon, but it is something to consider and plan for.

Maybe something more exotic for the headgear if I have to spend that much money anyway:

For $88 this is cool:

Or $97 in black:

Or $144 for a fancier two-tone one, but that's pricey:

This is $77, but probably too bulky for the tighter outfit I would be wearing:

$80 here:

$88 and some metal face mesh would almost make it look like an ancestor to a Mandalorian mask:

Or a similar one for $90:

Or $98 for this similar one:

Or $99 for something not too dissimilar:

$89 here:

$96 here:

$106 for this one:

$115 here:

And $139 here:

As for the fencing masks:

$70 here in grey:

Or $68 in black:

You know, looking at them all now, the Fencing one probably almost look the most Star Wars fitting? I know there's some very cool Airsoft style masks, and some masks sold as Star Wars masks, like the Mandalorian ones and Sith-style ones, but I have no idea of the durability of those, or if they're more for aesthetic purposes than protective purposes.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #202 on: January 03, 2021, 01:40:18 PM »

Apparently someone on Reddit sprayed their fencing mask to look like a Temple Guard mask, so spraying a design on the fencing mask may be the best option:

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #203 on: January 03, 2021, 02:36:04 PM »

Some attempts at some Obi-Ani spins with two bo staffs.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QBx4ljFty4&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QBx4ljFty4&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Still a lot of work to go, both with the timing of the two together, as well as keeping form good with each one individually. I know I'm having a habit of not fully rotating the right hand (red) staff sufficiently behind my back before bringing it forward, making it look like it's dragging to the front as opposed to spinning it forward, and the left hand (blue) seems to rotate more in front, crossing way over the midline of the body at the front, so the two motions/hands not being symmetrical likely prevents continued synchronization and flow. Lots of progress to be made, but it is a start. Maybe one day I'll be able to imitate Pong Krell.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1559

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #204 on: January 03, 2021, 07:02:05 PM »

Apparently someone on Reddit sprayed their fencing mask to look like a Temple Guard mask, so spraying a design on the fencing mask may be the best option:

Hi SirLiftaLot,

I am guessing that you are looking for a face mask/helmet for wearing during your choreography but still be aware that fencing masks and Airsoft masks may not be the most sturdy when spinning saber blades are involved. I recall seeing this video by fellow forum member Darth Nonymous testing such masks.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rhlFOPPAz0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rhlFOPPAz0</a>

Basically, I'm saying don't scrimp on saving money when purchasing good head gear - even for spinning routines! Stay safe.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #205 on: January 03, 2021, 08:30:22 PM »

Hi SirLiftaLot,

I am guessing that you are looking for a face mask/helmet for wearing during your choreography but still be aware that fencing masks and Airsoft masks may not be the most sturdy when spinning saber blades are involved. I recall seeing this video by fellow forum member Darth Nonymous testing such masks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rhlFOPPAz0

Basically, I'm saying don't scrimp on saving money when purchasing good head gear - even for spinning routines! Stay safe.

Thanks for the info, and for the concern. This would be for light to medium sparring if I eventually go that route. For spinning and solo exhibitions, I am fine as is, whether or not that is truly optimal. I am a little rust now, but I have close to a decade of martial arts training using staffs and nunchucks, and we never wore headgear for solo practice or demonstrations. Perhaps I’m being a bit old fashioned for that.

But you are certainly correct that I should not skimp on qualify for sparring headgear, even if it’s not full force sparring.

So I suppose I may as well get something of the ideal utility and quality for sparring, and if I’m trying something particularly new and daring for solo choreography, I’ll wear it too.

I will check out the video too for sure!

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #206 on: January 04, 2021, 01:04:26 AM »

Thanks for the info, and for the concern. This would be for light to medium sparring if I eventually go that route. For spinning and solo exhibitions, I am fine as is, whether or not that is truly optimal. I am a little rust now, but I have close to a decade of martial arts training using staffs and nunchucks, and we never wore headgear for solo practice or demonstrations. Perhaps I’m being a bit old fashioned for that.

But you are certainly correct that I should not skimp on qualify for sparring headgear, even if it’s not full force sparring.

So I suppose I may as well get something of the ideal utility and quality for sparring, and if I’m trying something particularly new and daring for solo choreography, I’ll wear it too.

I will check out the video too for sure!
Too true, I know the feeling. It's not so much worrying bout whacking yourself in the head so much as an over eager opponent... I do agree with ForT that since these lightsabers are terribly sturdy and "combat rated" I'd gear up like I have a carbonfiber or wooden sword/staff flying at my face, for serious sparring gear. Back when I ordered my Kendo gear through our organization we'd use Ebogu.com. They have high quality helm obviously meant for full contact sparring... I had checked a while back to see they had good COVID style sales going (and generally not too bad discounts at certain times of year). From what I remember most of their helmets are purely Kendo but I haven't looked extensively in a bit, I just know they stand up to punishment, and they also offer the additional under padding for your head or wrists. I might have to check and see if anything particularly "Sith" jumps out at me. And scroll through your post in detail, since some of those look cool, and possibly sturdy? Warrants further examination... But yea, you've got plenty of competition level experience so I trust you to not wind up concussed, or losing an eye fighting some flailing fledgling combatant.

BTW after looking I really do like this one, personally I'd consider using it myself.

It's something I could see lying in the dust on some ancient Sith planet, on a battlefield, or in a tomb...

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #207 on: January 04, 2021, 01:49:46 AM »

Too true, I know the feeling. It's not so much worrying bout whacking yourself in the head so much as an over eager opponent... I do agree with ForT that since these lightsabers are terribly sturdy and "combat rated" I'd gear up like I have a carbonfiber or wooden sword/staff flying at my face, for serious sparring gear. Back when I ordered my Kendo gear through our organization we'd use Ebogu.com. They have high quality helm obviously meant for full contact sparring... I had checked a while back to see they had good COVID style sales going (and generally not too bad discounts at certain times of year). From what I remember most of their helmets are purely Kendo but I haven't looked extensively in a bit, I just know they stand up to punishment, and they also offer the additional under padding for your head or wrists. I might have to check and see if anything particularly "Sith" jumps out at me. And scroll through your post in detail, since some of those look cool, and possibly sturdy? Warrants further examination... But yea, you've got plenty of competition level experience so I trust you to not wind up concussed, or losing an eye fighting some flailing fledgling combatant.

BTW after looking I really do like this one, personally I'd consider using it myself.

It's something I could see lying in the dust on some ancient Sith planet, on a battlefield, or in a tomb...
If I do actual sparring, not just choreographed "fights" with someone, I will definitely pick up some sturdy head gear. I meant to say when I did practice and exhibitions with weapons on my own (solo) I never worse any headgear. I definitely would not advise actual non-choreographed sparring with no headgear, or with cheap headgear. You guys are right on that point for sure.

It looks like the cool black helmet is OOS for 2-4 months. It says it's made from 18 gauge steel, so I'd imagine it's pretty durable, but probably not really cushioned on the inside. One review (there aren't many) said that they added memory foam inside it to make it more comfortable. But it really does look like it could be sitting in an ancient Sith tomb or something.

See the inside here:

It looks like the more expensive black and grey one has more internal padding. Which makes sense, since it costs a bit more money.

I'd think 18 gauge steel and some internal padding would suffice for protection?

The Kendo headgear you mentioned looks legit, and the martial arts look wouldn't be terribly out of place with the look I have going I suppose. At $133 for the cheapest men's headgear, it's still pretty expensive, but not totally outlandish if I plan on doing regular sparring eventually.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #208 on: January 04, 2021, 02:00:24 AM »

Just watched the video posted, and it seems to be cautioning against airsoft masks, especially mesh airsoft masks. He mentioned fencing mesh masks being rated for more impact.

He even says at the end, "go get a fencing helmet. They're not that much. $60-70 or so on Amazon with the option to spray paint a design on them, I think that's probably the way to go for my look. Maybe a Temple Guard inspired look, but with a different color than gold, since my outfit is grey and black, not white and gold.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #209 on: January 04, 2021, 02:10:57 AM »

Yes, I had watched as well. No one would probably debate it greatly if you alter the color scheme, but use the same design. Similar to how various versions of the Imperial logo are in different colors on different armor colors or sections of stormtroopers.

As far as that helmet I like it'd really be how it connects into other "created" support or rigging to keep your face from suffering direct force. I like that the black model has some padding already, it's forehead and chin support that is generally necessary to keep the "grill" from your face/breaking your nose. So that one looks like it'd still need some work to suit my needs... Although I might not truly use it for full contact anyway without researching how much reverse damage my own helmet would do to incoming blades! I like that it may be a deterrent to hitting my helm if it breaks blades, but that is cruel to purposefully add into a design... I'd rather not regularly shred sparring partner's blades, since it'd limit repeat fun.

Still I love the look...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: