Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 583   Go Down
Author Topic: Suggestion Box/Wishlist: what do we want from Ultrasabers?  (Read 1496682 times)
Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #7080 on: December 03, 2018, 08:55:29 PM »

Kind of defeats the combat nature of these sabers.

wouldn't that suck. you're in a duel, everything is going great! Then the top half of your saber goes out and you are stuck with half a glowing tube and half of a boring silver tube.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -168

Once you start down the dark path...

« Reply #7081 on: December 03, 2018, 09:04:03 PM »

It has been mentioned a few times. what you are talking about are NeoPixel blades. They are pretty cool pieces of tech but US isn't likely to release them because they aren't meant for dueling. they are normal blades with LED strings in the blades. great for cosplay and cons but very impractical for duelling. they have been known to break under stress.
Yes; NeoPixel, that's it. Thanks Smiley I had heard that there are combat-grade versions available. The mindset communicated was that people were still hesitant to duel with them though because replacing a blade at $30 is better than replacing one at $100. That makes sense for sure. However, it would seem that you'd have to be dueling quite heavy to break the heavier grade NeoPixel blade.

Aside from this forum, I'm pretty much alone in terms of saber fandom. As such, I don't do any dueling, so I'm not sure how hard people go at it.

Ultrasabers currently owned: Archon v3.1 (Diamond) - Guardian (Diamond) - Spectre (Diamond) - Renegade (Diamond) - Fulcrum (Diamond) - Consular (Diamond) - Butcher (Diamond) - Menace SE Staff (Diamond) - Dark Graflex (Diamond) - Dark Sentinel v4 (Stunt) - Initiate v4 (Stunt, Summer Raffle Prize)

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #7082 on: December 03, 2018, 02:11:34 PM »

Yes; NeoPixel, that's it. Thanks Smiley I had heard that there are combat-grade versions available. The mindset communicated was that people were still hesitant to duel with them though because replacing a blade at $30 is better than replacing one at $100. That makes sense for sure. However, it would seem that you'd have to be dueling quite heavy to break the heavier grade NeoPixel blade.

Aside from this forum, I'm pretty much alone in terms of saber fandom. As such, I don't do any dueling, so I'm not sure how hard people go at it.

I agree with you. I fear for the future of in-hilt LED setups. This new trend of Neopixel is starting to be more than just a trend. They do have some heavy grade blade versions available and I have seen people going full contact with them, and not hurting the LED strip.   I do not duel either, I have no friends interested enough in Star Wars to get a lightsaber to duel.

But my original reason to coming to this thread:
I was not a advocate for more points on the Diamond Controller before. Now I am. I have an idea and need more points, please.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1287

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #7083 on: December 03, 2018, 02:14:43 PM »

It's not the blade you have to worry about, it's the LED's themselves. They use a foam insert to protect the LED's as much as they can, but they are are prone to getting dead spots due to impact. I've destroyed three or four string blades in one evening with a friend. They also make for an  unbalanced saber overall due to the electronics being in the blade. They look great, but I don't recommend them for any sort of practical use.

"I believe it is quite possible to misbehave while still employing good manners." - Darth Logos

"There are too many stupid people, and I do not have enough patience for a whole universe of bozos." - Lady Revan

Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

« Reply #7084 on: December 03, 2018, 09:58:38 PM »

I do not duel either, I have no friends interested enough in Star Wars to get a lightsaber to duel.
We're in the same boat then my friend. It would be cool to do some dueling; either with a friend or at some sort of academy.

But my original reason to coming to this thread:
I was not a advocate for more points on the Diamond Controller before. Now I am. I have an idea and need more points, please.
I've been an advocate of more points ever since setting up the LED sequences for "Son of Darkness". Making the "unstable" blade look... I made it work with cycle repeating, but it would have been great to have more points. I'm patient enough to sit there and work on it if I believe the end result is worth it.

Ultrasabers currently owned: Archon v3.1 (Diamond) - Guardian (Diamond) - Spectre (Diamond) - Renegade (Diamond) - Fulcrum (Diamond) - Consular (Diamond) - Butcher (Diamond) - Menace SE Staff (Diamond) - Dark Graflex (Diamond) - Dark Sentinel v4 (Stunt) - Initiate v4 (Stunt, Summer Raffle Prize)

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #7085 on: December 03, 2018, 10:23:06 PM »

It's not the blade you have to worry about, it's the LED's themselves. They use a foam insert to protect the LED's as much as they can, but they are are prone to getting dead spots due to impact. I've destroyed three or four string blades in one evening with a friend. They also make for an  unbalanced saber overall due to the electronics being in the blade. They look great, but I don't recommend them for any sort of practical use.

The foam insert does 2 things: protects the string and diffuses the light so it's not glaring.  I know of a different way to tube the inner core so it would be 10x harder to damage the led string and also use the foam as a diffuser still. Also, the led string lights have a higher cost version where each led has 3 connections so if 1 were to break, it would not shut down the rest. This also allows for custom color per led instead of the older string where all are the same color all the time, but that makes it higher cost because of programming the extra switching. I have to agree though, that the blade would be off balance and heavier towards the middle with all the extra weight in the blade itself. Also, the batteries would drain alot faster, usually only 45 minutes run time before they're flat. BUT................. the leds could be run brighter, bright enough to melt the blade if they're used to full capacity.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

deevee2
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 110

« Reply #7086 on: December 04, 2018, 03:53:19 PM »

They do have some heavy grade blade versions available and I have seen people going full contact with them, and not hurting the LED strip.
I've seen the same. There are a bunch of different ways to even build a Neopixel blade, some use 2 strips some use 3 with a 3d printed core. Dozens of ways to diffuse the light. Everyone recommends heavy grade blades simply because if you crack the blade it's a big repair job. Heavy grade should protect it from any impact problems, on "other guys" forums they mostly complain about battery life being shortened cause you are drawing a much higher amperage than an in-hilt setup. Not a lot of complaints about them breaking though if they're assembled right. If you've ever damaged a heavy grade blade by itself then I'd probably stay away, they'll just frustrate you.

I assembled a Neopixel string with a different controller and the extension/retraction effect is pretty cool. Can't tell if the added complexity of install is worth just that feature basically though. It does seem a little brighter and even along the blade, minus the shadowing from the difficulties of diffusing the LEDs correctly (this appears to be an art). I don't think in-hilt LED setups are going anywhere, it's a much easier install and there are less parts to break (which any electrical engineer will tell you is good).

To be honest it doesn't make the blade that much heavier feeling, using a heavy grade blade made a bigger difference than 2 LED strips and a piece of foam.

Ultrasabers hilt builds:
  Archon 3.1 (RGBW, sound, activation box)
  Spectre (Neopixel, SmoothSwing, sound)
  Aeon LE v5 (RGBW, SmoothSwing, sound)
  Dominix LE v5 (RGBW, SmoothSwing, sound)

Ultrasabers empties:
  Chosen One, Graflex, 2x Dorinians, Savior, Raven, Consular

Hilt builds:
  Custom chassis, 18650 Li-Ion, bass speaker (2-4w), recharge port, 3rd party saber controller

Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

« Reply #7087 on: December 04, 2018, 05:37:44 PM »

Ok - something that came up in a different thread...

We want a "Dark Spectre" Smiley

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2790

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7088 on: December 04, 2018, 10:40:42 AM »

This

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #7089 on: December 04, 2018, 05:48:04 PM »

I vote yes!

-Broadside

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2030

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #7090 on: December 05, 2018, 04:22:32 AM »

Not gonna lie kinda hoping a Savior CE would be added, all silver finish basically =]

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2790

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7091 on: December 05, 2018, 12:50:50 PM »

Not gonna lie kinda hoping a Savior CE would be added, all silver finish basically =]

I vote on that as well!

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #7092 on: December 05, 2018, 01:42:21 PM »

I like this

-Broadside

WookieBoi2000
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #7093 on: December 05, 2018, 10:32:47 PM »

How about a lightsaber that you can blue tooth to your phone to change the colors and to play music through the blade? that would be dope, and also getting into lightsaber duels with "dueling fates" or "battle of the heroes" would be so rad.

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #7094 on: December 05, 2018, 11:45:07 PM »

Agreed, Bluetooth updating would be awesome, and those sound fonts you mentioned would be even more awesome!

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 583   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: