Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 542   Go Down
Author Topic: Whatchya Listening to or Watching?  (Read 1139622 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #4170 on: March 04, 2017, 08:19:19 PM »

So, do you guys remember back in the day when M Night Shyamalan ruled the world? Some magazine (that must cringe about it now) proclaimed him "the new Spielberg". And then the flops came. They came hard. Before his two most recent releases put him on the path to redemption, his lowest point came with the universally panned "After Earth". It was based on an original idea by star Will Smith. However, at the time of release Shyamalan's name was linked so hard with box office poison that they didn't even include his name in the traditional "directed by" segment of the trailer and marketing.

After Earth is considered one of the worst movies ever and definitely the worst movie in Will's career. And tonight, my buddies are I are gonna force ourselves to watch it. We're gonna laugh at how bad it is. We're gonna cringe at how bad it is. We're gonna laugh (again) at how bad it is. And then go have some beer.

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #4171 on: March 04, 2017, 08:36:50 PM »

I saw it in theaters and had such HIGH hopes for a concept that seemed to borrow from Avatar where everything on the planet wants to kill you, only this sounded like those threats would actually materialize on a significantly higher scale than in Avatar, and whoa, what a huge flop it was. What someone else like Ridley Scott, Peter Jackson, J.J. Abrams, Steven Spielberg or Denis Villeneuve could've done with that idea and material. It's funny, too, because I didn't realize who had directed the film until afterwards and thought to myself, "ah ha, that explains it."  I'm so glad he's come back almost full circle and making movies with redeeming qualities now.

In any case, what you're about to do sounds excruciatingly, mind numbingly ADVENTUROUS! Good luck to you and your buddies. May it not leave any lasting brain damage.  Cheesy

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4172 on: March 04, 2017, 08:41:47 PM »

I saw it in theaters and had such HIGH hopes for a concept that seemed to borrow from Avatar where everything on the planet wants to kill you, only this sounded like those threats would actually materialize on a significantly higher scale than in Avatar, and whoa, what a huge flop it was. What someone else like Ridley Scott, Peter Jackson, J.J. Abrams, Steven Spielberg or Denis Villeneuve could've done with that idea and material. It's funny, too, because I didn't realize who had directed the film until afterwards and thought to myself, "ah ha, that explains it."  I'm so glad he's come back almost full circle and making movies with redeeming qualities now.

In any case, what you're about to do sounds excruciatingly, mind numbingly ADVENTUROUS! Good luck to you and your buddies. May it not leave any lasting brain damage.  Cheesy
I think having it as a communal experience is helping. 15mins in and we're already criticising the bad dialogue!  Cheesy

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #4173 on: March 04, 2017, 08:44:13 PM »

Bolt Thrower - Warhammer 40k inspired Metal.  Cool

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #4174 on: March 04, 2017, 08:58:33 PM »

I think having it as a communal experience is helping. 15mins in and we're already criticising the bad dialogue!  Cheesy
I'm imagining it's probably going about like this...

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4175 on: March 04, 2017, 09:03:02 PM »

I'm imagining it's probably going about like this...

Pretty much! Lol

And point for The Monkees

*edit*
Ugh! This movie is tough going. Only 20 mins left, but we've started on the beer early.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4176 on: March 04, 2017, 10:26:41 PM »

We have all decided we need a massive palette cleanser after that awfulness. 9 people - 6 girls, 3 guys and the choices were action, comedy or animated. We have ultimately decided on something easy on the brain, so are now watching Zootropolis (the UK name for Zootopia).

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #4177 on: March 04, 2017, 11:20:44 PM »

That one should be an effective antidote for the after effects of AE.  I had no idea it was named "Zootropolis" in the UK. I like it. 😉

I think my antidote would have to be "Wayne's World".

Anyone else wanna chime in? What followup movie would be your antidote after watching AE?

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4178 on: March 04, 2017, 11:23:10 PM »

That one should be an effective antidote for the after effects of AE.  I had no idea it was named "Zootropolis" in the UK. I like it. 😉

Anyone else wanna chime in? What followup movie would be your antidote after watching AE?
Not in a Wayne's World kinda mood. Plus, we've already started Zootropolis

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #4179 on: March 04, 2017, 11:24:16 PM »

Fanboys. I would watch Fanboys.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #4180 on: March 05, 2017, 01:09:23 AM »

At this precise instant, I am listening to this song.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DgLyG9gtJQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DgLyG9gtJQ</a>

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #4181 on: March 05, 2017, 01:59:04 AM »

Not in a Wayne's World kinda mood. Plus, we've already started Zootropolis
Oh, sorry, I like Zootropolis, too.  I meant that if I were to watch After Earth, that Wayne's World would be the movie I myself would probably watch afterwards to get rid of the "after earth" taste.  Cheesy

Fanboys. I would watch Fanboys.
Never seen that one. I'll add that one to my viewing playlist.  Wink

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4182 on: March 05, 2017, 02:03:28 AM »

Oh, sorry, I like Zootropolis, too.  I meant that if I were to watch After Earth, that Wayne's World would be the movie I myself would probably watch afterwards.
Oh, don't get me wrong, Wayne's World is amazing. A total classic. I just wasn't in the right frame of mind (totally After Earth's fault). Zootropolis was a great palette cleanser though.

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #4183 on: March 05, 2017, 02:17:47 AM »

Oh, don't get me wrong, Wayne's World is amazing. A total classic. I just wasn't in the right frame of mind (totally After Earth's fault). Zootropolis was a great palette cleanser though.

Nah, I figured that was the case. I mean, after any bad movie you really need something for you that offsets in the best way the genre of the flopper you just saw. I think the same might apply in reverse, though, too. I saw "Get Out" the other night, which I enjoyed immensely and was going to stay and see "La La Land", because on Tuesdays here all movies in all theaters are $5, including IMAX and Luxury seating.  So, I was thinking, why not, a double feature, but I couldn't see myself enjoying "La La Land" as much, or worse, not at all, because maybe it was all hype and more so because it was such a different genre, and I didn't want to spoil the lingering cinematic experience of "Get Out", so I left the theater with all the scenes I enjoyed most still fresh in my mind.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4184 on: March 05, 2017, 02:20:37 AM »

Nah, I figured that was the case. I mean, after any bad movie you really need something for you that offsets in the best way the genre of the flopper you just saw. I think the same might apply in reverse, though, too. I saw "Get Out" the other night and was going to stay and see "La La Land", because on Tuesdays here all movies in all theaters are $5, including IMAX and Luxury seating.  So, I was thinking, why not, a double feature, but after "Get Out", which I enjoyed immensely, I couldn't see myself enjoying "La La Land" as much, or worse, not at all, because maybe it was all hype and more so because it was such a different genre, and I didn't want to spoil the lingering cinematic experience of "Get Out", so I left the theater thinking about all the scenes I enjoyed most
Once I get my monthly movie pass next Friday I shall be seeing at least 5 or 6 movies at the cinema next weekend and then at least one a day until I have caught up (which includes La La Land, Get Out, Lego Batman, John Wick 2 if it's still screening, Logan etc).

No matter how I'm feeling after each movie, I shall power through, because that's what the hardcore faithful who love movies have to do!!  Grin Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 542   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: