Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 945785 times)
Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #1275 on: April 20, 2016, 10:46:07 PM »

You know, TFA did a great job of showing the horror of that.  It's interesting how much easier it is to joke about Alderaan than it is about Hosnian Prime.

This isn't an insult...it's a comment about the effects of the different techniques used by the filmmakers with each planet.  Alderaan's a distant, indirectly felt statistic.  Hosnian Prime is a visceral horror seen up close.
I never thought of it that way.  I see your point.   The empty Thurs/Fri in the forecast pic still makes me giggle though.

Wow Justicar - deep thoughts. Smiley

Plus: The Kenobi quote??!!  C'mon...that was gold.   GOLD!   Tongue

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #1276 on: April 20, 2016, 10:50:43 PM »

You know, TFA did a great job of showing the horror of that.  It's interesting how much easier it is to joke about Alderaan than it is about Hosnian Prime.

This isn't an insult...it's a comment about the effects of the different techniques used by the filmmakers with each planet.  Alderaan's a distant, indirectly felt statistic.  Hosnian Prime is a visceral horror seen up close.

It is, and that's one thing of the many I like in Disney's new approach.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1277 on: April 20, 2016, 10:52:46 PM »

Perfect setting for a Sharad Hett-type of jedi. And the sabers in your sig is just echoing it more Smiley

That would be awesome. they could get a real Star Wars adventure movie out of that.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #1278 on: April 20, 2016, 11:13:29 PM »

I never thought of it that way.  I see your point.   The empty Thurs/Fri in the forecast pic still makes me giggle though.

I'm not saying it wasn't funny (because fiction, after all). Wink

It's just interesting, though, that in four months since TFA came out, I cannot recall once seeing a Hosnian Prime joke the way I have always seen Alderaan jokes.

Wow Justicar - deep thoughts. Smiley

Thanks!

It is, and that's one thing of the many I like in Disney's new approach.

Yep...the battle scenes as a whole were incredibly visceral.  We had the Stormtroopers become serious business, the slaughters on Jakku and Takodana really being horrifying...it made it seem real.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #1279 on: April 21, 2016, 04:20:05 PM »

It says something interesting about society as a whole as well.  The way war was portrayed in sci-fi/fantasty in the late 70's/early 80's is entirely different than it is portrayed now.  It's definitely got a rawer edge to it.  Everything seems more personal, realer somehow.  The writer in me definitely appreciates that contrast.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1280 on: April 21, 2016, 04:27:01 PM »

No consequences works just fine in something like Rebels (they kill a lot of people), but it has to mean something when our heroes are on a 50ft screen and are just wasting people left and right.

‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #1281 on: April 21, 2016, 05:04:43 PM »

No consequences works just fine in something like Rebels (they kill a lot of people), but it has to mean something when our heroes are on a 50ft screen and are just wasting people left and right.

Exactly Smiley
We just need to visit the "cause market", where they sell us a "good cause" to worship or condemn certain behaviour or attitude. When it's sold, they give the "hero" and "villain" titles for free Wink

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #1282 on: April 21, 2016, 05:13:53 PM »

It says something interesting about society as a whole as well.  The way war was portrayed in sci-fi/fantasty in the late 70's/early 80's is entirely different than it is portrayed now.  It's definitely got a rawer edge to it.  Everything seems more personal, realer somehow.  The writer in me definitely appreciates that contrast.

From a cinematography perspective, what I was seeing ALMOST fit a model I've seen in three particular productions that all made war a very raw, real, and personal matter.  Though there was a lot less visible gore, the general approach resembled these movies/shows:

• Saving Private Ryan
  • Band of Brothers
  • Reimagined Battlestar Galactica

I particularly found the opening sequence, inside the Stormtroopers' landing craft, comparable to the airdrop scene in Band of Brothers.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #1283 on: April 21, 2016, 05:23:24 PM »

From a cinematography perspective, what I was seeing ALMOST fit a model I've seen in three particular productions that all made war a very raw, real, and personal matter.  Though there was a lot less visible gore, the general approach resembled these movies/shows:

• Saving Private Ryan
  • Band of Brothers
  • Reimagined Battlestar Galactica

I particularly found the opening sequence, inside the Stormtroopers' landing craft, comparable to the airdrop scene in Band of Brothers.

I would put the siege of Helm's deep and actually the whole Game of Thrones on the list too.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1284 on: April 21, 2016, 05:26:03 PM »

I would put the siege of Helm's deep and actually the whole Game of Thrones on the list too.

Helm's Deep got nasty real fast, so did the fight in Dale during the Battle of the Five Armies.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #1285 on: April 21, 2016, 05:26:51 PM »

See, I don't watch Game of Thrones because it's TOO grimdark for me.  Having watched Battlestar Galactica, I feel like I've done it once and I don't need to do it again.

On that note, I think maybe the comparison is closer to Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, than it is to nuBsG, because there are more moments of humanity and morality in those two movies than in nuBsG.  You could say the same about LotR/Hobbit--there's a core virtue there, which is absent in any of the "Crapsack World" shows like nuBsG, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, and all of this other grimdark stuff.  So maybe I should not have included nuBsG on the list, as it goes way too far in the direction of ALL darkness and no light (save maybe for Helo Agathon).

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #1286 on: April 21, 2016, 05:43:02 PM »

See, I don't watch Game of Thrones because it's TOO grimdark for me.  

And that's what I like in it the most Smiley
It's a special "darkness" tough - the whole series could have the title "The endless shades of grey" and I consider this as a level up in terms of character representation in literature. It's just amazing how George Martin made the "good" and "bad" terms dissolving in a much broader perspective than what the literature mainstream had been feeding for thousands of years (ok, minus a few drama authors in the 19th century).

And that's what I love in the new Disney SW-line: a stormtrooper (!) escapes and overcomes the whole static and faceless picture we got from 6 episodes and loads of books, Kylo Ren is the best wild card I could ask for, spaceships skimming water surfaces in battle and so on. Wonderful Smiley

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #1287 on: April 21, 2016, 06:05:46 PM »

TFA for me is a good balance.  There is some grey and ambiguity (I too love the character of Kylo Ren) but there ARE underpinning values in the end and it's not an exercise in how crappy or shocking one can get away with making everything.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2769

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1288 on: April 21, 2016, 06:30:32 PM »

THAT'S AWESOME!

I've never seen a Revan Lego dude. Smiley

Hey, Darth Logos, a Revan one!

Already on my Amazon wish list.

I got it medwyn. 

Alderaan stikes me as the place where stuff like that would be held. 

Blow it up...lol

Can't see the pic, but are you guys talking about this?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #1289 on: April 21, 2016, 07:58:30 PM »

Can't see the pic, but are you guys talking about this?

That's hilarious Cheesy

This is another freak:

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 263   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: