Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36   Go Down
Author Topic: This weapon is your life: Saberfit Challenge  (Read 216277 times)
Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #345 on: May 31, 2013, 02:40:38 PM »

okay, havent made a post in a while (sorry about that)

So im just going to bombard you guys with things

First, some photos from River City Jedi's panel at a smallscale fantasy and sci fi convention thats gone on for more than 30 years now in Winnipeg.

Keycon

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.590219351012838.1073741826.469859189715522&type=1

Unlike most comic cons, this one is much more intimate, lots of panels and workshops, and almost no vendors. Its a totally different feel and we loved it.

Secondly, a flickr feed of pictures from class last weekend

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveowned/sets/72157633703465353/

And lastly, a video of myself, and 2 of the newer fellows in River City Jedi running through the first two trajectories of the Shii Cho dulon.

Class last weekend went fantastic, everyone was extremely eager to learn, and a lot of people broke off to work through the trajectories on their own.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uy_kqxJBT0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uy_kqxJBT0</a>

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Simonblackfell
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -1

Gray Paladin- if points even it out to zero please

« Reply #346 on: May 31, 2013, 04:45:17 PM »

Answered my own question. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 05:00:47 PM by Simonblackfell » Logged

Simon Blackfell
We are gray. We stand without the corruption of the darkness or the Rigidity of the light. We bend and flow through the galaxy with the force as our guide. Just as the living force flows in all things, we embrace all things. Balance is the path of the force, so balance we seek...

Genkaku Sho`shyk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 141

only the force, nothing more, nothing less

« Reply #347 on: June 13, 2013, 05:46:56 PM »

god i cant wait to get my soundboard replaced in another week or so...... want to get some vids for the forums up

Darth_Arkanus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -273

« Reply #348 on: June 13, 2013, 06:46:50 PM »

OK, I wanted to make a contribution to this thread with my new, sexy Dominix saber!

I know I've a lot to work on here, looking in the right places being just one part of that (Thanks Master Vornach!), but I hope you'll find this practice of Shii-Cho Dulon Trajectories 1 and 2 ok.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pr9i3Pl0AY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pr9i3Pl0AY</a>

"The Dark Side is a pathway to many abilities!"

Venom "Durance of Hate"
Scorpion "Durance of Rage"
Dominix LE "Acolyte of Vengeance"
Phantasm LE "Twins of Tyranny"
Gladius "Acolyte of Agony"

GrumpyBadger
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 34

if I earn any, lightside points if you please

« Reply #349 on: July 27, 2013, 03:09:35 PM »

If I may,

I'd be honored to join this.  Right now we don't have any lightsabers, actually because of the move we still don't have access to our Shinai either Cheesy so we're using broom sticks and just working on little stuff in our place when we aren't training with my Knight Instructor in the Adrian Empire.  

I'd really love to show everyone what I have developed for various Forms, it's the least I can do after everything all of you have shared.  My Soresu isn't nearly as flowy, much more rigid and structured when looking at it from the outside but it's very adaptable in the stance.  For the most part, it looks like there is a flurry around the practitioner as the opponent is trying to "break in" while the actual Form III fighter looks almost non-nonchalant and effortless.  We've been focusing on the "eye of the storm" quite a bit.

I know it could be quite cool to see my Form II and Form I go against it.

also, about safety... I can't emphasize that enough myself after what I've seen on and off the training field.  Also, most injuries happen because the people practicing presume to think they won't take it that far, and then they do, and then they get hurt. Cheesy

Just this past two weeks back, we had a guy take a solid straight shot to his throat.  that would have been lethal, if it wasn't for the 3-weapons WMA mask, and steel and leather brig gorget underneath it.  Instead it just became an amazing parry into a counter and both at the end of the day were smiling and laughing.

Darth Arkanus,

if I may.  I'm new here, so definitely listen to the others that are much more knowledgeable.  But I LOVE Shii-Cho, so in that, I've sort of "lurked" on your youtube page Cheesy  I gotta say, that video you just posted definitely shows, to me, marked improvement.  Everything is slowed down, and your motions seem more dedicated and the intent is present.  I've been around my fair share of weapons, and you're showing improvement.

It's always good to be the hardest on yourself.  It's good to notice where you need improvement, but sometimes it can be just as helpful, if even just in the morale aspect, to also notice your improvements and your strengths.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 03:17:46 PM by GrumpyBadger » Logged

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #350 on: July 27, 2013, 03:26:06 PM »

we use lacross gear and hockey gear paired with fencing masks when sparring they work fantastic

even when sparring accidents can and will happen even with full protection, everyone please be safe out there when working with friends or a group

we actually had a broken pinky finger after a sparring match a couple weeks ago, so just be safe, and if you think you have hurt yourself at all, please do not continue practicing at all, seek whatever medical attention you require immediately

keep up the good work everyone

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

GrumpyBadger
Knight Captain

« Reply #351 on: July 27, 2013, 03:32:26 PM »

I'll make a quick second on the lacrosse gear!

the things we put our gauntlets through is incredible in my group.  I actually gutted a set and hid the padding inside my Wisby gauntlets since now I'm working with rebated steel instead of the rattan of the SCA.  Man they're sweet.

Master VorNach
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 176

Mendicus esset tamen suus candeo.

« Reply #352 on: July 31, 2013, 06:06:50 AM »

I'll make a quick second on the lacrosse gear!

the things we put our gauntlets through is incredible in my group.  I actually gutted a set and hid the padding inside my Wisby gauntlets since now I'm working with rebated steel instead of the rattan of the SCA.  Man they're sweet.

Excellent.
I simply installed street street hockey gloves inside my steel clam shell gauntlets. They've worked exceptionally well in both rattan and rebated steel combat.

Cower not within yourself; whatever he says unto you, do not react to it; fight earnestly for yourself thusly;

https://sites.google.com/site/terraprimelightsaberacademy/
http://annarborsword.com/

GrumpyBadger
Knight Captain

« Reply #353 on: July 31, 2013, 07:45:05 PM »

Master Vornach,

it is amazing what a little ingenuity, duct tape, and "I need these ready in 3 hours" (on the way to the event) can cause right?  Wink

Honestly I love mine.  I just wish I had something for 13th century as well.  

Right now for SWarsiness I'm working on some armor out of EVA foam like my 405th friends do for Halo cosplay.  I figure it could work even as a gorget (maybe, need to test this, no one take my word for this at all!) but definitely as bracers, knees, shoulders, that sort of thing.  I'm trying to figure out some cool gauntlets too, probably heavily Wisby inspired/ trooper looking Wink

I also finally found my "lightsaber readiness kit" as I liked to call it.  Took it everywhere with me to make repairs and such to lightsabers.  Found it, my two rebel stars and my extra shrink wrap and wiring.  So even though it's from "the other guy" I'll have a lightsaber hilt soon.  I'm also planning on buying an Aeon soon with li-ion, sound, and of course, SY color Cheesy so excited! I do enjoy how they are so solid.  It's either that, or my phantasm Initiate with li-ion but no sound, in SY.  Cheesy haven't decided which style I want first.

If you guys wish, I can also post up a thread about making SWarsy looking armor.  I have zero doubt the EVA will work as armor for our lightsabers.  I wore an ODST gauntlet and had my lady thwak me and I didn't feel a thing Wink  I keep having delusions of grandeur where there's a bunch of us in functional Jedi Guardian and Sith Warrior armors  Grin
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:50:25 PM by GrumpyBadger » Logged

Darth_Arkanus
Knight Commander

« Reply #354 on: July 31, 2013, 08:11:57 PM »

OK, if it is still permitted to post videos about practice, then I offer my latest.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfywr3nIdFU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfywr3nIdFU</a>

Venom "Durance of Hate"

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #355 on: August 01, 2013, 12:31:32 AM »

OK, if it is still permitted to post videos about practice, then I offer my latest.

Your slow methodical approach has really improved your technique. There is one point (Time stamp 1:29-1:31) you do a block and actually flip the blade toward yourself. This is not going to be ideal for you. Instead of bringing the blade down toward your head as you do bring the blade across your body low and then quickly raise it up over your head (rising block TKD).

Good work. Keep it up and see you Saturday.

Darth_Arkanus
Knight Commander

« Reply #356 on: August 01, 2013, 03:15:17 AM »

Your slow methodical approach has really improved your technique. There is one point (Time stamp 1:29-1:31) you do a block and actually flip the blade toward yourself. This is not going to be ideal for you. Instead of bringing the blade down toward your head as you do bring the blade across your body low and then quickly raise it up over your head (rising block TKD).

Good work. Keep it up and see you Saturday.

Thanks Master!!! I keep trying, and keep working, bit by bit. I'm planning to do a few more of these types of multi-direction exercises in the weeks and months ahead, to try to fill in the techniques I didn't use here though.

On the block you mentioned. I'm going from a Sai strike ending in "Finishing guard", then 180 degree right turn, coming across and up into a high guard, but I've kinda thrown it here a little like a drop parry, hence the downward movement. So instead, if I leave the Sai strike position, turn, bring the blade across for a zone 5 low parry (either with the front or back of blade) then come up in a rising zone 1 parry (Chookyo Makgi from ITF style TKD) that would work better and presumably be less dangerous to me; which I guess is why you mentioned it?

I'll give that a try as a linework exercise!!

Looking forward to Saturday, a lot!!!

Venom "Durance of Hate"

DARTH CH3M15T
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -69

Dark Side Points Please

« Reply #357 on: September 11, 2013, 05:45:50 PM »

Ok so i'm a n00b and i've only posted a few times so far.
This is the first film footage of me wielding my new Ultrasaber i got not long ago.
I have no official martial arts training.
I think is closest to form 3 soresu. I'm just trying to demonstrate all the spinning moves i've learned from, youtube vids, and sparring with a friend who does poi whose helped us develop a few new moves with a saber, if they are known sword movements or poi moves he's translated into sabering.
Anyway sorry about how dark it is. I should re-shoot a daytime one. I just love seeing a lightsaber at night.
I was aiming for dusk filming but with a young padawan its difficult.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqsjH6lZe-4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqsjH6lZe-4</a>

Chemist the Phantom Menace, the kinda Sith that smoke spliffs.
Witnessing my foes getting wiped from existence
Rolling doobs,  grow the finest down in naboo, lyrical kung fu focus attack. just like windu.
I also got a bong in the shape or R2D2 with efficient badass chrome droids rollin in my crew

DARTH CH3M15T
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -69

Dark Side Points Please

« Reply #358 on: September 12, 2013, 08:33:19 PM »

I shot a daytime version. tried repeating all the same moves in the same order. Doing each move 3 or 4 times.
How does one acquire force alinement points?  Is there a certain move i need to master?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNwdw0dQi8A" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNwdw0dQi8A</a>

Chemist the Phantom Menace, the kinda Sith that smoke spliffs.
Witnessing my foes getting wiped from existence
Rolling doobs,  grow the finest down in naboo, lyrical kung fu focus attack. just like windu.
I also got a bong in the shape or R2D2 with efficient badass chrome droids rollin in my crew

eerockk
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 662

TPLA Lx Apprentice - Nova 7

« Reply #359 on: September 12, 2013, 08:35:36 PM »

How does one acquire force alinement points? 

Nice!

You want light side points or dark side points?

Bellicose - Prophecy V3 - Overlord - Archon 2.1 - Guardian

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: