Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1288535 times)
Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #825 on: January 21, 2014, 07:37:26 PM »

WTH is a Transatlantic accent???

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #826 on: January 21, 2014, 07:44:54 PM »

WTH is a Transatlantic accent???

Watch Amy Walker's 21 Accents video. I think it's the last one in it.

Come to think of it, that video makes sense now. I thought she was doing a normal American accent and giving it a fancy name.

Mid-Atlantic English (sometimes called a Transatlantic accent) is a cultivated or acquired version of the English language once found in certain aristocratic elements of American society and taught for use in the American theatre. It is not a typical vernacular of any location, but rather blends American and British without being predominantly either.

From Wikipedia.

no

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #827 on: January 21, 2014, 08:21:07 PM »

Watch Amy Walker's 21 Accents video. I think it's the last one in it.

Come to think of it, that video makes sense now. I thought she was doing a normal American accent and giving it a fancy name.

From Wikipedia.

Ah... the New England Old Money Charles Emerson Winchester the Third accent.

BTW, Amy Walker needs to work on her Southern and Texas accents.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #828 on: January 22, 2014, 11:10:51 AM »

my accent is just... Australian. most of the time anyway. I tend to pick up accents of people I talk to a lot and adopt them without realising it. which was interesting when I dated a New Zealander back in high school, I had a strange hybrid of aussie and kiwi accents for a while  Grin

but I cannot for the life of me try and impersonate other accents. just does not work

in venting news- 4 sets of lights out on the main road (three lanes either direction) on my drive home today, right during peak hour traffic. and of course, it was in the accident prone strip with big intersections wasn't it? fun!

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #829 on: January 22, 2014, 01:05:13 PM »

my accent is just... Australian. most of the time anyway. I tend to pick up accents of people I talk to a lot and adopt them without realising it. which was interesting when I dated a New Zealander back in high school, I had a strange hybrid of aussie and kiwi accents for a while  Grin

There's a difference?

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

JEStucker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 340

Founder - The Underfunded Force (Light Points)

« Reply #830 on: January 22, 2014, 04:48:40 PM »

I have a midwest USA accent that leans more towards a southern US dialect... however, I am an accent mimic and it disturbs my wife greatly.  I can literally go anywhere and within 24 hours will sound just like I was born and raised there... sadly, when we return home, it takes upwards of two weeks for the accent to fade. We have discovered during trips to Maine (Down East, love it,) Boston, New York (city,) Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma... She's afraid for her sanity if we ever travel to Australia or the UK (Scotland specifically.) 

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!

Dominix v2 Fire Orange
Aeon v3 Guardian Blue/Obsidian

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #831 on: January 22, 2014, 04:54:38 PM »

There's a difference?

Yes, there's a very large difference.
And much like you americans have different accents from state to state/ area to area, we Aussies do too.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 129

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #832 on: January 22, 2014, 04:57:34 PM »

Yes, there's a very large difference.
And much like you americans have different accents from state to state/ area to area, we Aussies do too.

We do? 0.0

GCW RP - Bothan Spc Tharu Tyy'n

Catalyst (CG) - Prophecy (VA) - The Beast (no blade)
Reading Textbooks; Playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #833 on: January 22, 2014, 05:00:40 PM »

There's a difference?

I'm not even from Australia and I can tell that there's a huge difference.

The difference is actually greater than that which exists between any American accents, to my ears at least.

no

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #834 on: January 22, 2014, 05:05:50 PM »

We do? 0.0

you haven't noticed it? people from QLD and NSW in particular have different accents to us in WA- and if you go bush instead of sticking to the cities, you tend to notice a stronger accent too, the more 'stereotypical' Australian accent if you will. Its subtle though, at least compared to different American accents I've heard.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 129

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #835 on: January 22, 2014, 05:07:44 PM »

you haven't noticed it? people from QLD and NSW in particular have different accents to us in WA- and if you go bush instead of sticking to the cities, you tend to notice a stronger accent too, the more 'stereotypical' Australian accent if you will. Its subtle though, at least compared to different American accents I've heard.

I've noticed the more 'Kath&Kim' accent around, but I thought it was just the thickness of the one accent that would vary depending where you went in the country.

GCW RP - Bothan Spc Tharu Tyy'n

Catalyst (CG) - Prophecy (VA) - The Beast (no blade)
Reading Textbooks; Playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

BenPass
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« Reply #836 on: January 24, 2014, 04:44:55 AM »

I'll vent here. I have been having an absolutely awful day. Last night, I tore open my surgical site. For those who don't know/remember, I'm recovering from back surgery. Needless to say, I'm in a lot of pain.

When you add that to the fact that you see all kinds of people given the benefit of the doubt in (nearly everything) and able to say whatever they want without issue and you are slapped down when one thing goes wrong, it's enough to make you very frustrated.

To be honest, the fact that I've had my recovery set back and am in pain is enough to make me frustrated, but being slapped down for something minor really grates against me right now. I know life isn't fair, but someone in chronic pain ought to be given a little bit of consideration.

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #837 on: January 24, 2014, 04:59:27 AM »

but someone in chronic pain ought to be given a little bit of consideration.

^This. Seriously. Not only that, but come on... of all the people who could get picked on and it had to be you? Seriously? You're one of the nicest, most open-minded, and selfless individuals I've ever known. That's just not right. And even then, I don't believe anyone in any situation like that deserves it either.

Though, not really sure what situation you're talking about anyway, so there's that... lol.

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #838 on: January 24, 2014, 08:41:22 AM »

I'll vent here. I have been having an absolutely awful day. Last night, I tore open my surgical site. For those who don't know/remember, I'm recovering from back surgery. Needless to say, I'm in a lot of pain.

When you add that to the fact that you see all kinds of people given the benefit of the doubt in (nearly everything) and able to say whatever they want without issue and you are slapped down when one thing goes wrong, it's enough to make you very frustrated.

To be honest, the fact that I've had my recovery set back and am in pain is enough to make me frustrated, but being slapped down for something minor really grates against me right now. I know life isn't fair, but someone in chronic pain ought to be given a little bit of consideration.

*hug* feels for you ben!

in my world, my ankle is doing better this week. though even after sitting every chance I got at work yesterday, I finished the day maxing out painkillers and in not such a happy state. just glad I was able to sit that much, or id be back where I was last week. 4 days (incl today) off, 3 days work, then 2.5 weeks holiday! just a few more days!!!

one thing that really bugs me, and this is going to be a petty vent, but I don't care- to be allowed to sit on my stool at work I have to have a doctors note. otherwise the boss goes off at me- or if she doesn't go off to my face at me, I constantly hear from other team members about her bitching coz im sitting. with the doctors note she cant say a whole lot really. in fact the other day I said to her "I think I overdid it yesterday with the standing, my ankles more sore" and her reply was "well I let you have the stool for a reason"- wth?! you say that after the look you give me coz im sitting down in between doing jobs?!
and yet, with the stool up front counter everyone else sits on it, and none of them get told off!! whats more i'll come back from a break limping, someone is sitting on my stool, and do they move off it to let the injured person who's stool it is sit? no. the other day I waited something like 5 minutes for my team mate to get off my stool coz she was in a phone call and I didn't want to disturb her. Apparently me standing on one leg (something I regularly do to give my ankle a few moments relief) and seeing me hobble around behind the counter isn't enough of a hint.
oh, and where does the stool live when im not using it? down at the spare parts counter. so that the boss can sit on it while she is serving customers- the very thing I get in trouble for!

*Goes back to job searching*

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

kewlkev360
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 232

« Reply #839 on: January 24, 2014, 04:59:34 PM »

*hug* feels for you ben!

in my world, my ankle is doing better this week. though even after sitting every chance I got at work yesterday, I finished the day maxing out painkillers and in not such a happy state. just glad I was able to sit that much, or id be back where I was last week. 4 days (incl today) off, 3 days work, then 2.5 weeks holiday! just a few more days!!!

one thing that really bugs me, and this is going to be a petty vent, but I don't care- to be allowed to sit on my stool at work I have to have a doctors note. otherwise the boss goes off at me- or if she doesn't go off to my face at me, I constantly hear from other team members about her bitching coz im sitting. with the doctors note she cant say a whole lot really. in fact the other day I said to her "I think I overdid it yesterday with the standing, my ankles more sore" and her reply was "well I let you have the stool for a reason"- wth?! you say that after the look you give me coz im sitting down in between doing jobs?!
and yet, with the stool up front counter everyone else sits on it, and none of them get told off!! whats more i'll come back from a break limping, someone is sitting on my stool, and do they move off it to let the injured person who's stool it is sit? no. the other day I waited something like 5 minutes for my team mate to get off my stool coz she was in a phone call and I didn't want to disturb her. Apparently me standing on one leg (something I regularly do to give my ankle a few moments relief) and seeing me hobble around behind the counter isn't enough of a hint.
oh, and where does the stool live when im not using it? down at the spare parts counter. so that the boss can sit on it while she is serving customers- the very thing I get in trouble for!

*Goes back to job searching*

Shove them off the stool, Blondie!

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: