Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1288450 times)
Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #4410 on: February 21, 2017, 04:46:47 AM »

Taxes are complex. I usually get about ¼ of my check taken out, but my wife and I get back $6000+ every year. This year will be less. No babysitting to claim.

If you are hired by an employer, Knox, you are required to fill out a w-2 form for employment and tax purposes

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #4411 on: February 21, 2017, 04:50:35 AM »

I remember hearing about W-2s in The Shawshank Redemption.

Is there any criteria as to who has to do them or is it a requirement for everyone?

In the UK: https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns/who-must-send-a-tax-return

No, if you make below a certain yearly earnings you don't have to file.  There are some other things based off age and some other claims I think but I don't know off the top of my head.  But the majority of citizens file taxes i'm sure

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #4412 on: February 21, 2017, 04:56:35 AM »

If you are hired by an employer, Knox, you are required to fill out a w-2 form for employment and tax purposes

No, if you make below a certain yearly earnings you don't have to file.  There are some other things based off age and some other claims I think but I don't know off the top of my head.  But the majority of citizens file taxes i'm sure
When you're hired by an employer over here it's called a P-45. And the vast majority of jobs are paid directly into your bank account each month so tax (and national insurance) is already taken out. So, depending on the criteria in that link is whether you have to do a tax return. I feel lucky that I've never had to do one (yet). Have had a few tax rebate cheques come my way in recent years. Nothing massive, but any money coming in is always welcome.

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #4413 on: February 21, 2017, 05:05:56 AM »

When you're hired by an employer over here it's called a P-45. And the vast majority of jobs are paid directly into your bank account each month so tax (and national insurance) is already taken out.

That's actually similar to how it is here in the U.S.  However, over here we get to decide how much of our paycheck is taken out for taxes.  Too much, and you get a refund.  Too little, and you have to pay.  But, if you do it just right, then you don't end up giving the government an interest free loan or have to pay them extra.  That way you get as much of your money as possible without having to pay at the end.  On the other hand, I know some people use the method of paying extra specifically to get a refund.  It's almost like having a savings account that you cannot touch that pays out once per year.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4414 on: February 21, 2017, 05:10:39 AM »

Ok. Thanks for the clarification guys. Now, if you can answer this question: why is it, n shops and things, the prices displayed are exempt from tax? Why not show what the price is with the tax already included?

For instance, if I go into a shop over here and see a shirt priced at £19.99, when I go to the till I pay £19.99, not £19.99 + whatever the tax would be. I'm sure that has caught out and frustrated many a tourist.

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #4415 on: February 21, 2017, 05:18:06 AM »

That's actually similar to how it is here in the U.S.  However, over here we get to decide how much of our paycheck is taken out for taxes.  Too much, and you get a refund.  Too little, and you have to pay.  But, if you do it just right, then you don't end up giving the government an interest free loan or have to pay them extra.  That way you get as much of your money as possible without having to pay at the end.  On the other hand, I know some people use the method of paying extra specifically to get a refund.  It's almost like having a savings account that you cannot touch that pays out once per year.

I do it like this

Ok. Thanks for the clarification guys. Now, if you can answer this question: why is it, n shops and things, the prices displayed are exempt from tax? Why not show what the price is with the tax already included?

For instance, if I go into a shop over here and see a shirt priced at £19.99, when I go to the till I pay £19.99, not £19.99 + whatever the tax would be. I'm sure that has caught out and frustrated many a tourist.

For instance, if you were to go visit my town, the tax % is different here than another town, same county though. Depends on area. It's all screwy here

No points, just fist bumps baby!

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #4416 on: February 21, 2017, 11:34:21 AM »

I kinda just do my taxes.... Tongue

I've never had to pay any extra. Either I've earnt too little, or I've fallen into the low income bracket. Last year was the first I've been out of it and had to pay full taxes. I always have enough tax taken out of my pays to cover it. Our financial year is 1st July to 30th June. We have until 31st October to submit our tax returns.

And thanks guys. My finger has been getting worse. Got another doctors appt tomorrow.

So over this. So so over this. Coz I have my finger wrapped up with gauze and tape- since im allergic to the adhesives used on bandages- customers keep asking me what I've done to it.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #4417 on: February 21, 2017, 12:45:16 PM »

(If I'm wrong someone correct me)  Basically it's because depending on why state and then what county you are in in said state, sales tax is going to be different.   Some states have lower sales tax, some higher some have no sales tax.   

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4418 on: February 21, 2017, 01:00:49 PM »

(If I'm wrong someone correct me)  Basically it's because depending on why state and then what county you are in in said state, sales tax is going to be different.   Some states have lower sales tax, some higher some have no sales tax.   
That sounds overly complicated. Is there a reason why there is no universal tax rate across the country?

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #4419 on: February 21, 2017, 01:13:28 PM »

This is why I prefer the fact many laws here are the same across the states. Not all, but many.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4420 on: February 21, 2017, 01:34:48 PM »

This is why I prefer the fact many laws here are the same across the states. Not all, but many.
I assume you mean across Australian states and not the same across Australia and The States?

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #4421 on: February 21, 2017, 01:48:24 PM »

I assume you mean across Australian states and not the same across Australia and The States?

Yeah....

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #4422 on: February 21, 2017, 03:10:30 PM »

That sounds overly complicated. Is there a reason why there is no universal tax rate across the country?

In the U.S. it's due to the idea that each state is considered "separate but equal" in terms of self governance. Each state has the right to set a sales tax which is used to fund state-run programs such as the various Departments of Transportation (which keeps the roadways up to date) as well as other programs. This is usually based on the existing and future infrastructure that needs funding. As to why there isn't a country-wide tax rate, lawmakers are loathe to do that because of one of the primary reasons why we rebelled against England to begin with: No taxation without equal representation. Our current Congressional system consists of the Senate (two people per state) and the House of Representatives (number varies per state due to size and population). If there were a federal sales tax (not likely to happen), then there would have to be a complete overhaul of the Congressional system to ensure that there was equal representation.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4423 on: February 21, 2017, 03:14:06 PM »

In the U.S. it's due to the idea that each state is considered "separate but equal" in terms of self governance. Each state has the right to set a sales tax which is used to fund state-run programs such as the various Departments of Transportation (which keeps the roadways up to date) as well as other programs. This is usually based on the existing and future infrastructure that needs funding. As to why there isn't a country-wide tax rate, lawmakers are loathe to do that because of one of the primary reasons why we rebelled against England to begin with: No taxation without equal representation. Our current Congressional system consists of the Senate (two people per state) and the House of Representatives (number varies per state due to size and population).
Okay then. Thanks for that. Every time I've been to the States that always seemed to strange and never understood why. Now I do.

If there were a federal sales tax (not likely to happen), then there would have to be a complete overhaul of the Congressional system to ensure that there was equal representation.
Let's do that then. It worked for the Galactic Senate when the Emperor overhauled the system turning it into an Empire. I don't foresee any problems with this!  Wink Cheesy LOL

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #4424 on: February 22, 2017, 12:48:54 AM »

Point Jev for Explaining it so I didn't have to Tongue  Not that I mind but just got home from work...Brain not work right now...

Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: