Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Darth Sabre's aproach to TPLA's Shii Cho Dulon  (Read 36242 times)
kagemusha shin
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -169

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2013, 06:22:23 PM »

No prob always like to help a fellow sith if I can.

Darth Sabre
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -216

TPLA Knight instructor

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 11:04:19 AM »

From the Ice Desert of Hoth ...

...to the Swamps of Dagobah!  Grin

Let the trials begin! I'm anxious Grin

Darth Sabre
Knight Captain

TPLA Knight instructor

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2013, 08:01:11 PM »

Hello everybody.

So, this is where I've come so far.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Y37PAirWk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Y37PAirWk</a>

Greetings from Germany.

Darth_Arkanus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -273

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2013, 09:10:11 PM »

Hello everybody.

So, this is where I've come so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Y37PAirWk

Greetings from Germany.

Greetings from a fellow learner! (though I am some months behind you it seems, as I only began in the latter half of May)

Watching the first video and the last one is like night and day. You have, to my learner's eyes, come such a LONG way....it's awesome! I'd like to offer my own encouragement to keep doing what you are doing, relax with your movements and ENJOY! You're doing, as far as I can see, a great job and long may it continue!

*well deserved POINT!*

"The Dark Side is a pathway to many abilities!"

Venom "Durance of Hate"
Scorpion "Durance of Rage"
Dominix LE "Acolyte of Vengeance"
Phantasm LE "Twins of Tyranny"
Gladius "Acolyte of Agony"

Darth Sabre
Knight Captain

TPLA Knight instructor

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2013, 02:45:41 PM »

Greetings from a fellow learner! (though I am some months behind you it seems, as I only began in the latter half of May)

Watching the first video and the last one is like night and day. You have, to my learner's eyes, come such a LONG way....it's awesome! I'd like to offer my own encouragement to keep doing what you are doing, relax with your movements and ENJOY! You're doing, as far as I can see, a great job and long may it continue!

*well deserved POINT!*

Thanks for the encouragement, my fellow Sith! And: you may seem to be some months behind IN TIME, but you more than make it up with awesome dedication. We will definitely hear from each other again ...

Darth_Arkanus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -273

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2013, 05:25:57 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement, my fellow Sith! And: you may seem to be some months behind IN TIME, but you more than make it up with awesome dedication. We will definitely hear from each other again ...

Thank you my fellow Sith! Yes, I'm determined to learn and become good at this, just as I know you are! I'm certain that we shall both succeed and become credits to our Order!

Also happy to hear from a fellow Sith-in-training! Smiley

"The Dark Side is a pathway to many abilities!"

Venom "Durance of Hate"
Scorpion "Durance of Rage"
Dominix LE "Acolyte of Vengeance"
Phantasm LE "Twins of Tyranny"
Gladius "Acolyte of Agony"

GrumpyBadger
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 34

if I earn any, lightside points if you please

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2013, 05:57:47 PM »

After going through this whole thread Darth Sabre,

first I must say it's impressive, most impressive.

Really, your development and movement going from the first video through the last is most inspiring.

Inspiring enough that this "Jedi" has decided to accept his current pitfalls as such and continue forward.  You've inspired me to start practicing with my mop stick basically.  Its still the same basic concept, just nothing as pretty as what I've gotten used to.  I'll too post up videos of my progress as soon as I am able to do so with the first trajectory, seeing how much you learned from the advice and critiques is awesome.

just wanted to admit that this "Jedi" is definitely impressed by dedication and drive "Sith."

Darth Sabre
Knight Captain

TPLA Knight instructor

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2013, 09:27:45 AM »

After going through this whole thread Darth Sabre,

first I must say it's impressive, most impressive.

Really, your development and movement going from the first video through the last is most inspiring.

Inspiring enough that this "Jedi" has decided to accept his current pitfalls as such and continue forward.  You've inspired me to start practicing with my mop stick basically.  Its still the same basic concept, just nothing as pretty as what I've gotten used to.  I'll too post up videos of my progress as soon as I am able to do so with the first trajectory, seeing how much you learned from the advice and critiques is awesome.

just wanted to admit that this "Jedi" is definitely impressed by dedication and drive "Sith."

OK. First of all, I wanna thank you for your warm words and for the appreciation of my training so far. You are right about the dedication ... lightsaber training has become an integral part of my life and I'm working on it almost every day.

Second. Dedication is the one side, guidance is the other. Having started on the training videos of TPLA on my own and then getting in contact with the TPLA Masters was really a positive experience. Now that I am in the TPLA Learners in Exile - program, Feedback and guidance have become more direct and there is much input from the other LX's around. What I wanna say is this: the input I got so far goes a lot further than the feedback in this thread, for which I am really thankful to all involved in TPLA.

Third: I'm still at the very beginning!  Grin

Last: Watching the TPLA videos on Shii Cho and scanning their website will give you a lot of starting material. I wish you, that you have as much fun with all of that as I have. Enjoy yourself and get into contact with others, as you want to do, and the spark will carry you further.

Thanks again for your feedback, Jedi! I guess, dedication is not unheard of in your order, too?  Wink

Xavier Temple
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 17

Not all masks hide darkness...

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2013, 09:49:40 AM »

As someone just starting on the Shii Cho dulon this thread showing your journey learning it is really inspiring Darth Sabre, and I will study Master Vornach and Darth Nonomous' notes in detail.  I wish I could give you more than one point!

As someone who has done sword training in the snow, it is impressive how fast Hoth can turn into Dagobah once you get going!

I do not have room to do the Dulon as shown, so will have to fiddle with the footwork, I hope that is OK.

Light side points please!

Darth Sabre
Knight Captain

TPLA Knight instructor

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2013, 08:16:59 PM »

Thanks, Cornwaille.

I decided to post the essence of the advice I got on Shii Cho outside this thread from the TPLA Masters  here for you guys, so you get a more complete picture.

So here is the short form:

1. "Slow down and feel what you are doing." The mother of all advices ...  Grin I tended (should I really use past tense ...  Wink) to rush through things.

Footwork:
2a. "Try to keep your legs very steady through the entire movement. The hips, knees and feet should all work together and stay in line." That is a tough one for me ... controlling my lower body really is the hardest part.
2b. "Think about tearing the ground apart with your heels as you sink into the strike. Don't be tuck the front hip and push the knees gently outward." That picture of "tearing the ground apart" really helped me along ...
2c. "You want to keep the front knee tracking with the foot. Also try to keep the shin vertical." I'm still working on that one day by day by day ...

3. "Focus on the imaginary duel that is happening."
4. "Be careful of your posture. Leaning forward at the end of a strike usually happens because of the force behind it. In this case it seems like you lean forward continuously which would not benefit your technique."

At the moment, my training focus is on Makashi, but Shii Cho is with me every day ... and so is this dulon.

Thanks to my Masters for gently pushing me forward!

Btw: Like TPLA on Facebook ... great way to keep yourself informed!
https://www.facebook.com/TerraPrimeLightsaberAcademy?fref=ts

Xavier Temple
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2013, 07:26:29 AM »

I hear you about the slow thing.  I remember that from Longsword.  I have been taking it painfully slow, but as I start to speed up the trajectories feel much more natural.

I was always been told off for my footwork and am trying to focus on it here.  I have old injuries to my knees that make taking the lower stances a bit painful, but I know from experience that that pain is something I just have to live with, so I will persist with trying to get the lower stances right.

I hope I am doing as well as you were 4 weeks in!

How is Makashi going for you? I have not looked at any of the Form 2-4 videos in case I would be tempted to get ahead of myself.  I couldn't resist with Djem So though, lol.

Master VorNach
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 176

Mendicus esset tamen suus candeo.

« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2013, 08:33:22 AM »

I have old injuries to my knees that make taking the lower stances a bit painful, but I know from experience that that pain is something I just have to live with, so I will persist with trying to get the lower stances right.

If you're knees hurt then back off a bit. Talk with a doctor. You can practice the low stances, just don't go so low that they cause you pain.

It doesn't hurt to look at the other forms, just stay focused on your current goals.

Cower not within yourself; whatever he says unto you, do not react to it; fight earnestly for yourself thusly;

https://sites.google.com/site/terraprimelightsaberacademy/
http://annarborsword.com/

Darth Sabre
Knight Captain

TPLA Knight instructor

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2013, 07:21:29 PM »

How is Makashi going for you? I have not looked at any of the Form 2-4 videos in case I would be tempted to get ahead of myself.  I couldn't resist with Djem So though, lol.

I started out with Makashi just a couple of weeks ago on advice from Master Nonymous. Up to then, I had focused on Shii Cho. Now that I'm doing the very basic Makashi stuff, I can say: I love it, and I wouldn't have thought. And I will definitely take my time getting the basics down and into flesh and blood. One thing I can say: Makashi footwork is easier for me ... but again, Shii Cho is the basis for everything.

I would love to see videos of your approach ... same goes for Badger!

And: yes, yes. To Master VorNach you listen!  Wink

GrumpyBadger
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 34

if I earn any, lightside points if you please

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2013, 08:38:47 PM »

I started out with Makashi just a couple of weeks ago on advice from Master Nonymous. Up to then, I had focused on Shii Cho. Now that I'm doing the very basic Makashi stuff, I can say: I love it, and I wouldn't have thought. And I will definitely take my time getting the basics down and into flesh and blood. One thing I can say: Makashi footwork is easier for me ... but again, Shii Cho is the basis for everything.

I would love to see videos of your approach ... same goes for Badger!

And: yes, yes. To Master VorNach you listen!  Wink

I'm looking forward to learning a different approach to Makashi as well, with the Chinese influence.  That's going to be a ton of fun.  I also have my new rebated Scottish Backsword commission started, and I have my cavalry saber.  Makashi is going to be fun.  As of right now, I'm working on Shii-Cho, and I'm not a member of the TPLA either.  Just a nerd wanting to get back into shape again.  As soon as I have a camera that I can rely on to take video, I'll post some videos up for sure in my own thread.

thanks for the compliment Darth Sabre.  It's you who deserves the credit for me starting again with next to nothing to work with.

Xavier Temple
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2013, 06:25:21 AM »

If you're knees hurt then back off a bit. Talk with a doctor. You can practice the low stances, just don't go so low that they cause you pain.

It doesn't hurt to look at the other forms, just stay focused on your current goals.

I have been to doctors and physios about my various ailments, the cartilage in my knees is wrecked (and the discs in my back are worse), short of popping pain pills whenever I need to do squats, they say there is nothing they can do except lose weight to help take stress off them (learning lightsabre is part of that, and it is going well) 

I will hold off going low for now and focus on getting my feet in the right place and getting the strikes right, thank you. :-)

I am actually very interested in your and Darth Nonymous's spin doctor video.  We never spun our swords around like that back in the day, and it looks fun.  I even ordered a saberstaff after watching that video!   

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: