Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30   Go Down
Author Topic: Star Wars Figures  (Read 117655 times)
DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #270 on: July 14, 2020, 03:03:24 PM »

I don't mind the Phasma even though her character wasn't utilized properly, but the kylo, never. One, his weapon is ridiculous. I hate crossgards lightsabers. Two, I love the actor, and I am so mad that they botched so many characters. Like his.

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2769

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #271 on: July 14, 2020, 03:15:22 PM »

I don't mind the Phasma even though her character wasn't utilized properly, but the kylo, never. One, his weapon is ridiculous. I hate crossgards lightsabers. Two, I love the actor, and I am so mad that they botched so many characters. Like his.
If I'm not mistaken, Gwendoline Christie griped sideways that she had a grand total of 3 minutes and change worth of screentime in 2 movies.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #272 on: July 14, 2020, 03:39:40 PM »

What's wrong with the Crossguard?  It makes sense within the story...plus as a HEMA guy it was a design I always wanted to see done.

But yea..Phasma got the shaft bas.  Originally the Chrome Trooper was Kylo Ren's armor but the decided to go "Sith Chic" but didn't want to discard such a cool design.  So she was a last minute creation and they got Gwendoline Christie to be in it but again didn't utilize the actress or the character.  In TFA I got the clear picture Kylo, Phasma and Hux were all vying for top position in the FO and I was hoping for an internal war between the 3 and their parts of the FO.  Hux with his Officers and personal guards, Phasma with the Troopers and Kylo with the Knights of Ren.  But of course that would have made an interesting story so they didn't do it.    Speaking of...did they ever explain Rey's vision of Kylo and the Knights from TFA...I still haven't seen ROS.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #273 on: July 14, 2020, 03:44:23 PM »

What's wrong with the Crossguard?  It makes sense within the story...plus as a HEMA guy it was a design I always wanted to see done.
It's ugly and looks stupid. And yeah, if you buy into the bleeding thing, it adds to show he's unfit for being a sith. But I don't. This thing with crystals isn't canon to me and never will be.

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #274 on: July 14, 2020, 03:51:52 PM »

It's ugly and looks stupid. And yeah, if you buy into the bleeding thing, it adds to show he's unfit for being a sith. But I don't. This thing with crystals isn't canon to me and never will be.

Looks fine to me..in fact its design allowed for actual sword techniques to be used and I do like the bleeding "thing" .         Logos and I have gone back and forth on this because I like the more mystical approach to Lightsabers.  Doesn't mean I think it 100% great explanation but it was at least an attempt I can support. Of course this is all IMO. 

He wasn't a Sith...neither was Snoke.  They said that from the beginning that they were something new...but of course Ruin dropped the ball and all that went out the window. 

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #275 on: July 14, 2020, 04:06:39 PM »

'Fraid were pretty opposite there. Im pretty positive on the sequels, and as someone who appreciates unique/functional weapons design, Kylo actually has my favorite saber design from the franchise as it actually attempts to do *something* to mitigate dismemberment. I've got quite a few x-guard designs on my own over in my "Saber doodle" thread, all of which try to tackle real-life swordplay tactics in lightsaber form. I do agree Phasma was critically underused and the internal conflict within the FO would have been a cool story to explore. I like what we got though.

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #276 on: July 14, 2020, 05:05:14 PM »

Looks fine to me..in fact its design allowed for actual sword techniques to be used and I do like the bleeding "thing" .         Logos and I have gone back and forth on this because I like the more mystical approach to Lightsabers.  Doesn't mean I think it 100% great explanation but it was at least an attempt I can support. Of course this is all IMO. 

He wasn't a Sith...neither was Snoke.  They said that from the beginning that they were something new...but of course Ruin dropped the ball and all that went out the window. 
Most of crossguards aren't meant to be dangerous for the user...

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #277 on: July 14, 2020, 05:08:37 PM »

'Fraid were pretty opposite there. Im pretty positive on the sequels, and as someone who appreciates unique/functional weapons design, Kylo actually has my favorite saber design from the franchise as it actually attempts to do *something* to mitigate dismemberment. I've got quite a few x-guard designs on my own over in my "Saber doodle" thread, all of which try to tackle real-life swordplay tactics in lightsaber form. I do agree Phasma was critically underused and the internal conflict within the FO would have been a cool story to explore. I like what we got though.
Some jedi did lose hands in combat. Though that's not what they are here for according to them...
I don't understand how this saber (which was there to try and reproduce the hype with Maul's lightsaber from ep1) can appeal to anyone. But you have every right to like it. I don't. And never will. So I won't buy any Kylo figure.
And that's a shame. I like Adam Driver.

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #278 on: July 14, 2020, 05:44:23 PM »

I didn't have an issue with the design incorporating vents to accommodate a faulty crystal. I actually thought that was a good idea. My beef is the why it was cracked.

And per usual, each trilogy had its own OMG with sabers:

OT - lightsaber. Wow enough
PT - Saber staff. HFS that thing has 2 blades
ST - Crossguard saber. Hmmm that's different.

Personally I had higher hopes for its functionality, but the ST failed to excite me on almost every level.

As for the use of varied sword techniques, they didn't need a new saber design to achieve this. If I'm not mistaken, didn't Qui Gon fight with a broadsword-like style?

I wanted a less idiot-direct approach to the mysticism: color change came from exposure of the wielder. I would have loved it if they would have re-edited ROTS so that Vader-kin's saber started going purple-fuchsia after the attack on the temple. And by the time he fights Obi Wan, it is already fully red.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #279 on: July 14, 2020, 06:08:39 PM »

Most of crossguards aren't meant to be dangerous for the user...

Nor is the Cross Hilt Saber.  The last time I hit myself with a crossguard was the first time I picked up a longsword 30 years ago.  If real practitioners using crosshilted swords don't hit themselves why would a Force User.  It was funny how the fandom got a new split when the Crossguard came into play...with fans who were trained in Longsword loving it and explaining how it could work.  I'm not saying you should like it....but that is on of the reasons some of us do.

As for the use of varied sword techniques, they didn't need a new saber design to achieve this. If I'm not mistaken, didn't Qui Gon fight with a broadsword-like style?

Depends on how your defining "Broadsword"......   But Qui-Gon's style what almost completely inspired by Japanese swordsmanship.  His opening stance is a very classic Kenjustu stance.

color change came from exposure of the wielder. I would have loved it if they would have re-edited ROTS so that Vader-kin's saber started going purple-fuchsia after the attack on the temple. And by the time he fights Obi Wan, it is already fully red.

I'd be ok with that.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #280 on: July 14, 2020, 06:45:59 PM »

Depends on how your defining "Broadsword"......   But Qui-Gon's style what almost completely inspired by Japanese swordsmanship.  His opening stance is a very classic Kenjustu stance.
I thought his style lacked a lot of flourish, and pretty much whenever his blade was on, both hands were on the hilt.

I'd be ok with that.
This also would have done more to explain the "Force connection" between wielder and crystal. But at the same time would have debunked the hippy dippy "only Jedi get crystals" bull$#!%.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #281 on: July 14, 2020, 07:04:13 PM »

I thought his style lacked a lot of flourish, and pretty much whenever his blade was on, both hands were on the hilt.
This also would have done more to explain the "Force connection" between wielder and crystal. But at the same time would have debunked the hippy dippy "only Jedi get crystals" bull$#!%.

Japanese Swordsmanship is almost devoid of flourish and other than a few rare styles keeps both hands on the hilt.  Wushu (Chinese Origin) has a lot of flourish in it and that is what Ray Park is trained in.  Nick Gillard, the stunt choreographer and basically the creator of the 7 Lightsaber styles, mixed Kendo, Wushu and Olympic Fencing to get his desired result.     What most people call a "broadsword" is actually a Longsword.  Broadsword is a bit of a source of contention in many HEMA circles.   They mixed in some longsword moves to Kylo's fighting..which made me excited for more...didn't deliver.  Here is an example of a choreographed longsword fight using real techniques, if only Hollywood would hire Experts in the specific style they want on screen.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn36Pb8z3yI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn36Pb8z3yI</a>

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #282 on: July 14, 2020, 07:16:34 PM »

Japanese Swordsmanship is almost devoid of flourish and other than a few rare styles keeps both hands on the hilt.  Wushu (Chinese Origin) has a lot of flourish in it and that is what Ray Park is trained in.  Nick Gillard, the stunt choreographer and basically the creator of the 7 Lightsaber styles, mixed Kendo, Wushu and Olympic Fencing to get his desired result.     What most people call a "broadsword" is actually a Longsword.  Broadsword is a bit of a source of contention in many HEMA circles.   They mixed in some longsword moves to Kylo's fighting..which made me excited for more...didn't deliver.  Here is an example of a choreographed longsword fight using real techniques, if only Hollywood would hire Experts in the specific style they want on screen.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn36Pb8z3yI

This is a great explanation! I had the opportunity to take a couple Kendo classes and I can attest that there is no flourish or fanciness, it is a very utilitarian and every component has an important use. Qui-Gon's style is quite reminiscent of this. And I agree that Kylo's style of fighting incorporated more Western swordplay - including a lot of the physicality to those techniques.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #283 on: July 14, 2020, 07:47:39 PM »

Lightsabers are interesting even outside of their coolness.  Beyond the discussions on how they work...how they are used is an even more interesting one.  It's supposed to be a sword...but there is a lot of things swords have it doesn't.  For one Saber's are curved swords...but I guess Lightrapier didn't have the ring Lucas wanted.  Swords have edges that require proper alignment and friction to cut...lightsabers do not.  Right there a ton of techniques become unnecessary.  It will always cut.  Then the hilt...its rounded, Sword Hilts are always oval or even slightly rectangle because it provides better hold and allows you to know where the edge is without looking.  Again, unnecessary for a Lightsaber.  So in terms of real world combat Rapier and Jian styles would probably fit best in terms of swords.  But I think Escrima would be a better fit and I don't think anyone has done this yet.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #284 on: July 14, 2020, 08:47:02 PM »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn36Pb8z3yI

The first fight, Kenobi v Vader was very Kendo-esque. I will agree that QG's style does not reflect what you showed.

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: