Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Fire Orange Dark Prophecy Staff / Dual Wield Review  (Read 14042 times)
Darkhorse V
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -56

Darkhorse V | Hunted by Jedi - Hated by Sith

« on: April 17, 2011, 10:42:50 PM »

This is my first non-telescoping non-plastic saber, not to mention my first Ultra Saber.  I played through The Force Unleashed II too many times and decided that I needed to Dual Wield sabers (go big or go home, right?).  Although there are so many attractive US hilts, I went with the Dark Prophecy and it did not disappoint!  I ordered it as a staff because I wanted the option to connect them - who hasn't imagined themselves as Darth Maul - and an unexpected benefit came along with that decision , but I'll get into that below.

NOTE:  I have put some black medical tape on the 2 choke points on this hilt, but other than that it is completely unmodded.

NOTE #2: I have added War Glaive claws and swapped out the Fire Orange LED for Pyrestone since this review.  The link to the customization page for them is here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=1306.msg13792#new

Hilt: 9/10  This hilt is awesome - especially for dual wielding.  The choke point right above the power button is the perfect balance point to do crazy spins and the bulge just below it leaves NO danger of this thing slipping out of your hands.  The machining and angled emitter add a bit of edge and flair to the saber, but it is still a fairly utilitarian design that is simple, effective, and intimidating.  The quality is great - flawless anodizing and not a burr, rough edge, or machining grooves anywhere.  As anyone who has owned an US knows, the first time you hold an aluminum saber of this caliber in your hands you know that the search is over.  You've found the sabers that you've wished all of your other saber were like since you were little.  The next step up is the real thing. Period.  It's beautiful, the right weight, there are no rattles, and you can beat the tar out of it with no ramifications.  

There are some other unique items on the Prophecy hilt as well.  There are two holes in the side that let the blade color shine through that look like small LEDs or indicators that add a cool effect to the hilt.  It also has two brass knobs on the emitter - one which also acts as the blade retention screw.  Here is where I took the one point off - These two knobs are just brass thumb nuts that go on over two little allen screws.  When the saber came, these would constantly come loose - not a big deal unless you lose one - but a little loc-tite would prevent people from losing a cool part of their saber.  Also, I wish that the bigger (lower) one which acts as the blade retention screw could be used to remove or tighten the blade, instead of having to use the allen wrench.  That would be EXTREMELY convenient for blade swaps and would only require a little epoxy or something to make the thumb screws actually work as thumbscrews instead of just revealing the allen screws underneath.  All in all not a big issue at all, I just think that's a point for improvement.  All in all this hilt is awesome.  Oh, and the covertech knob?  Icing on the cake.  Walking around with a saber or two on your belt is just hard to beat!

Since I ordered it as a staff, it came with a connector with threads on each end to attach the two hilts together.  When you connect them into the staff, it is completely solid and leaves you just enough hand room to wield it as such.  The Prophecy is on the shorter side of the US lineup - but if you want more blade without excessive length in a staff, it's your best bet.  That is another reason I love this saber for dual wielding too - the 'but' of the saber doesn't get in the way!  US was smart in this design though, because there is JUST enough room to comfortably hold, spin, and spar with this saber with both hands on it as well.  It is compact, but has the versatility for any variation of single, dual, or staff wielding.

Color: 9/10  I'm not going to lie - for anyone who has not had an Ultra Saber before - they look better in pictures and videos most of the time.  I will quickly add though, they are VERY bright, and they (among other Luxeon/Seol LED Saber) are the best out there - they are just not quite as REAL looking as most cameras portray.  Until it is even slightly dark, that is.  Once you hit dusk, and especially at night these things could pass as real to anyone walking by.  Even under streetlights they look fantastic.  Again, these sabers are the best of the best, just not the real thing... YET!

no flash

flash on

EXPERIMENT WITH BATTERIES: I know different colors react differently to different types (not brands - types) of batteries, but just try them out.  They can make your blade more vivid and bright, or even tweak your color a tiny bit.  I also recommend getting rechargables of your battery of choice (NiMH, Lithiums, etc) so that you don't have any guilt about keeping your blade lit.  Here is the difference I saw from the stock "Rocket Power" batteries to just regular energizers.

Blade: 10/10 I went with the UltraEdge Heavy Blade and I am not disappointed.  I know the heavy blades are twice as heavy as the mediums, and I know that you sacrifice a little brightness, but it looks GREAT and they are REALLY DURABLE.  I've been sparring pretty hard with these and so far I've only had a couple small scuffs I used car wax to remove.  I don't have a non-UltraEdge to compare to, but the UE blade is very full and bright.  I think in bright light it may wash out your color a little more, but if it is even remotely dim where you are your blade will be full, bright, and flawless.

Bonus / Tip to dual wielders  As an added bonus that I didn't plan - since I ordered a staff, the blades were only 32" instead of the normal 36" length.  This turned out to be PERFECT!  If you're going to use your sabers and need the heavy blades, this gives you a little more agility and a little better CG for spinning and fighting.  Those things are both necessary when trying to dual wield, plus you aren't risking hitting the ground, furniture, or your friends quite as much because you have more control.  The length looks great in proportion to the hilt and even in my Standard Issue (a much longer hilt) it looks fine.  For someone looking to dual wield or simply looking for quickness in their style you can request the 32" blade length in the comments section of your order.  This was an extremely fortunate accident for me.  I have some 36" UE heavy blades and they are not bad at all - just not quite as homey as the 32's for me.  Also, for reference, I'm 6'1" with a fairly athletic build and the 32's still don't look short.

Also, that covertech wheel that sticks out near the pommel comes right off if you find it hinders you in handling your saber. (It doesn't bother me at all, so it stays)

Overall: 10/10  Yes, I know that my math is wrong.  Two 9's and a 10 don't make an average of 10, but these sabers are awesome and they have made this 24 year old, mild to moderate Star Wars fan want to carry lightsabers everywhere I go now.  If you are on the fence about dropping $100 on a 'toy' lightsaber, just do it.  My SS HHR is the only other thing that I have ever bought that I have been this impressed with.  Talk some friends into it, spar a little, make some videos, walk around your dark house when no one is home, your blade's color bathing the walls around you, and imagine you're the baddes jedi/sith since Starkiller - do whatever.  There's no way to regret getting an Ultra Saber.  Be warned though, after you get one there is also no way to NOT get another one!

Other Pictures

With my Sunrider's Destiny Standard Issue

My camera washed out the orange quite a bit, but you can see they're still pretty bright in a fully lit room.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 01:39:18 PM by Darkhorse V » Logged

Sabers:.
(__=o=_/PYRESTONE SS DARK PROPHECY)
(__=o=_\PYRESTONE SS DARK PROPHECY)

(__=o=_/BLAZING RED PVC PROPHECY)
((_(((_o((_/ADEGAN SILVER SS STANDARD ISSUE)
(_((((_o(_{---PYRESTONE SS RAVEN w/OBSIDIAN)

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 12:29:29 AM »

Nice review. I'm thinking of getting one of the Prophecies as my next saber.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

ShadowKatt
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 02:55:41 AM »

It's the sword in the snow! I want to try and pull it out  Grin

Duff Man
The Double Triple X 4 + Fish OG of Randomness Version 2.7 of part 9 = Bacon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -358

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 04:48:04 AM »

It's the sword in the snow! I want to try and pull it out  Grin
Ah yes it will Cut though just about anything and turn the hardest of metals into molten goo but it can't melt snow??     LOL

Ultra Saber SI Staff:Guardian Blue
Ultra Saber Redemption:SRD
Ultra Saber Dominix V2 LE:Dark VA
MR Construction Kit:RGB

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 04:52:36 AM »

Ah yes it will Cut though just about anything and turn the hardest of metals into molten goo but it can't melt snow??     LOL

It's a design flaw all lightsabers have. lol.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

sjorsjo91
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 06:20:57 AM »

The more i see orange sabers the more i want one. maybe an initiate to be my wakazashi.

Custom Dominix
Custom TFU2 Promo
Custom SI Yoshimitsu
Custom Starkiller (destroyed)
Anakin UltraFX stunt

Darkhorse V
Knight Major

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 03:27:33 PM »

It's a design flaw all lightsabers have. lol.

That's true - Little known fact:  On hoth in the Wampa's cave luke's lightsaber was actually on the whole time, it was just sticking into the snow.  That's why he had such difficulty getting it out.

The more i see orange sabers the more i want one. maybe an initiate to be my wakazashi.

I like them.  Makes me feel like a bada$$ jedi, or a unique sith - depending on the day. 

Gulcasa
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 7

The Big Bang Theory :D

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 03:43:36 PM »

oh damn Cheesy my next saber will be so orange! BELIEVE IT!! haha Tongue

(_||||____o|||||_/                                                             )
STANDARD ISSUE BATTLE SABERS!
(_||||____o|||||_\                                                             )

andilynnwoods
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -3

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 01:09:07 PM »

Great pictures! Prophecy is so cool its definitely gone back on my wishlist ... I really want to see what a  Prophecy staff with the dark prophecy and ce prophecy would be like I bet that would be cool!!

MY SABERS                            FRIENDS SABERS
Ancient Bane: Artic Blue          Dominix V1: Blazing Red 
Initiate V2 LE: Consular Green Phantom V2: Red/Blue
Initiate V2 LE: Gaurdian Blue   Initiate V2 LE: Blazing Red
Aeon: Artic Blue                      Initiate V2 LE: Gaurdian Blue

Rintor
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -10

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 03:37:11 PM »

Awesome review. I really like how the saber looks stuck in the snow.

"In half an hour I can put together a strike team of twenty soldiers, capable of succeeding at any mission, under any circumstances, anywhere in the galaxy." ― General Crix Madine

Darkhorse V
Knight Major

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 05:28:10 PM »

Yeah, I LOVE the prophecy.  It looks sweet and handles even better.  I'm working on getting some black War Glaive claws for them - I'll let you know how that turns out.  I plan on putting one on the high side of the emitter, so the angled edge of the emitter will just continue right into the inside swoop of the claw.  there's another slight mod of the pyrestonian variety in progress as well, but I'll throw the pictures up in the Customization thread when they're done.

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 12:50:06 AM »

Glad you like the sabers.

FYI, it is not safe to rely on thumbscrews to hold your blade in.  Finger-tight is simply not good enough for actual combat, which is why all our retention bolts require a wrench to use.

Warlock Umbra
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -126

Dark Wizard of the Sith

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 01:26:03 AM »

Great review! Man, your SI looks SICK! Pretty sure that's what I'll be getting for my DIY.

"Malificent"--Dark Shock w/Sith sound__Blazing Red
"Carnage"--SS ed. RGB Raven
"Dominator"--Bane w/Obsidian__Pyrestone Orange/Dark Violet

Darkhorse V
Knight Major

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 03:00:56 PM »

Glad you like the sabers.

FYI, it is not safe to rely on thumbscrews to hold your blade in.  Finger-tight is simply not good enough for actual combat, which is why all our retention bolts require a wrench to use.

I suppose that's a good reason! Smiley

Darkhorse V
Knight Major

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 01:34:30 PM »

Great review! Man, your SI looks SICK! Pretty sure that's what I'll be getting for my DIY.

I've had a couple questions about that - for my SI AND these Prophecies I just used black medical tape from Dick's Sporting Goods for the grips/accents.  It makes for a cool flat black look to contrast the shiny black anodizing if you want a little variation.

I did some more modding on these hilts too and included the link in this review at the top.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: