Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Manticore, VA with BH FoC & Sound!  (Read 1935 times)
Raptor Shaddai
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 3

« on: May 03, 2013, 04:24:34 PM »

Well, this was my first US saber!
I must say that I am very pleased.  Having been a Star Wars fan since I was 9 (1977 when the 1st movie came out), I have always wanted a, well, "real" saber.  I have bought just about every type that has been made.  From a saber I bought around 1979 which was an EverReady red plastic flashlight with a plastic "blade" that fit under the cap & the cap with glass then screwed into place holding the blade.  I learned that back then you could by those clear plastic 3 ring folders & cut out pieces to fit in the glass & make the blade different colors.  But, with 2 C cell batteries & an incandescent bulb, it was okay.  Plus, 1 good hit on that plastic blade & it was toast.  To the replicas you can still get at your local Wal-Mart or ToysRus for around $120, & these are neat, but just not what I have been looking for.

Having been a fan & taking several forms of martial arts, my favorite weapons to use have been the Katana & Bokken (staff).  So, when I found US, I thought I could mix up a few passions of mine.  I have been reading & searching on this board for a while & have found it very informative & worth while to read up on.

So, my first purchase was spurred on by the Spring Raffle 2, as I could not pass up an opportunity to win a saber (or 2 for the grand prize). Alas, I did not win a prize, but I am still HAPPY!  So, I bought a Manticore (while on deal of the day) in VA with BH FoC, Obsidian sound with Blue AV switch, UEMG blade, quick disconnect, & the LiIon Buckpuck.  I received it on Tuesday April 30th.  In all honesty I wish I would have gone with a more solid color like CG, GB, BR on my first saber, because at first I was a little disappointed with the VA. 

But, once I realized the batteries needed to be charged, that helped.  After a few cycles of wearing the batteries down & then recharging, the blade is BRIGHT & a nice purple & the BH FoC is flipping BRIGHT too & makes for a seizure inducing blade lock.  The BH FoC really sets off the saber & looks great!

The blade is nice & strong for a mid grade, I can only imagine how tough a heavy grade blade is.  It seems like the MG blade could take quite the punishment too, especially since it bends a little.  I like the construction too.  I think the film in the blade has a small nick in it (little bright spot in the blade that is about 1mm diameter - so it is hard to notice it), but I did not notice it till yesterday, so I could be the reason for that.

The hilt is what I like & it seems to be of very high quality with high standards.  The pommel is the high profile model & looks great.  Of course the emitter is beautiful, with the sight windows & all, it looks awesome.  The entire hilt is well machined & very robust.  Nice & thick with some weight to it too.  Even though it is light for its size it seems to have just the right amount of weight to make the entire saber easy to wield, especially 2 handed.  It might be a little difficult though for some to wield 1 handed as the hilt is pretty thick, but it fits my hands pretty good (I wear Large to XL gloves as Lg gloves fit my fingers well but they tend to be tight on my palm, where XL gloves fit my palm well but are a little long on my fingers).

Obsidian sound board... All I can say it is AWESOME, & very loud, which I like!  This weekend I am going to try out some of the other sound fonts & that will be FUN!  Right now I am simply enjoying the default sounds, as they sound GREAT!  Plus, with the quick disconnect that I got, I will probably end up buying a few MHS units in different colors & FoC, just to see what they are like on this Manticore.  That will be fun too.

All in all, I am very pleased & can see this will be another addiction to deal with as I have to have a staff (looking at the dark phantom).  And I like some of the other hilts too.

Now, my grandson (will be 5yo in 1 month) is totally HOOKED!  He was at my house when I got it in & after fully charging the batteries he wore them out again.  Fun part is he takes instruction well & was handling the saber pretty well for a 5yo, especially since his hands are small & the Manticore is pretty big.  But, between his parents & I we will get him a Dark Initiate V3 in CG with Silver or Orange FoC & sound for his birthday here in month.  He will FLIP OUT.  Plus, now my daughter & son-in-law want one as well.  So, it looks like my family will be doing business with US quite a bit.

This weekend I will post some pics here & hopefully do a video of the grand son with a review in hopes of getting those 300 points US is offering.

Again, I really like this saber & I am very pleased!!!

Manticore = VA/BH FoC with Obsidian Sound QD
                  AS/BR FoC MLS LED
"Either do or do not, there is no try"

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 10:27:46 PM »

Nice review! Pics.....we need pics!!!!!

dark side points please

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 11:09:37 PM »

Great review, and well done on spreading the word!

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Sky Dragon c5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1

Grey Jedi Assassin

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 03:02:53 AM »

Nice detailed review. Now you jest need a video

Keep me as a Grey Jedi Please

C=Custom, D=Dark

Rd Reaper AS, Archon V2.1 AB, Consular CG, Malice BR, Overlord PO, Shock LE SY, D Shock DVA, D Liberator AS, Raven FO, D War EG, C Manticore BH, C D Shock RGB, C D Arbiter SR, C Archon V2.

JediStavland
Knight Apprentice

Light Side Points Please!

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 06:19:38 PM »

Great review! Its done nicely and tidy/clean! Well done!

Lightsaber : Aeon v3 Consular Green
Archon v2.1 Consular Green (Soon)
Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 Sun Rider's Destiny (Soon)
Phantom Initiate V3 Blazing Red (Soon)

Light Side Points Please Smiley

Raptor Shaddai
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 04:17:54 PM »

Thanks everyone.  Unfortunately the pics & video have been delayed.  But, as soon as I can I will post some up.  My computer skills (or lack there of) has delayed me some along with a small issue.

But, I promise pics & a video.

AS/BR FoC MLS LED

RedSuinit
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 11

The force is strong with this one. It's over 9000!

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 04:24:54 PM »

Thanks everyone.  Unfortunately the pics & video have been delayed.  But, as soon as I can I will post some up.  My computer skills (or lack there of) has delayed me some along with a small issue.

But, I promise pics & a video.

Lets face it, computers is what you have me around for. We all know it's the main reason you let me stick around.

Lucas

"You have failed your highness, I am a Jedi, like my Father before me."

"Basically I am the epitome of bad aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Father, PLEASE! SAVE ME!!!!!!!!"

*SMH*

Raptor Shaddai
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 05:33:50 PM »

A little update.  Small issue with saber is being fixed by US (EXCELLENT customer service I might add!!) & I should have it back by end of next week (takes a little while to ship to Memphis, TN - but FedEx is HQ'ed here so we tend to get things a little quicker.

But, by the time my saber is returned Luke there (Red Suinit) will have his Graflex in & his son's (my grand-son) will have his Dark Initiate in.  So, we will have to have a BIG BATTLE & post up the video.  Should look great with Red's Graflex in GB & the Dark Initiate in CG & my Manitcore in VA.

Review here will be updated & videos to come, very soon!!!

AS/BR FoC MLS LED

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2034

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 09:19:35 AM »

Can't wait to see the BR Graflex. Sounds like it'll be awesome. What color extra buttons did you go for? =] Sorry about your saber though. I always wait like a month to keep my ship boxes just in case anything happens.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Raptor Shaddai
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 09:39:33 PM »

Can't wait to see the BR Graflex. Sounds like it'll be awesome. What color extra buttons did you go for? =] Sorry about your saber though. I always wait like a month to keep my ship boxes just in case anything happens.
Well, the son-in-law will have to pipe in on his Graflex, but the blade color is GB not BR & I know he got sound & a bunch of options.  I can't remember the button color combination he got though.  I do know he should have it at his house by Wednesday or Thursday this week!!

As for the grand-son, I got him the dark initiate with CG colored blade with FO FoC & Obsidian sound with the standard button (no colored button though) & mid-grade (non UE) blade.  It will be at my house tomorrow!!

Now, my Manticore hilt is scheduled to be delivered to US today & hopefully they will ship it back by the end of the week. If not, it is okay, I know they are busy.  But, I still does not change the fact that I am anxious to get it back & have some fun!!

AS/BR FoC MLS LED

RedSuinit
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 11

The force is strong with this one. It's over 9000!

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 11:34:31 PM »

Well, the son-in-law will have to pipe in on his Graflex, but the blade color is GB not BR & I know he got sound & a bunch of options.  I can't remember the button color combination he got though.  I do know he should have it at his house by Wednesday or Thursday this week!!

As for the grand-son, I got him the dark initiate with CG colored blade with FO FoC & Obsidian sound with the standard button (no colored button though) & mid-grade (non UE) blade.  It will be at my house tomorrow!!

Now, my Manticore hilt is scheduled to be delivered to US today & hopefully they will ship it back by the end of the week. If not, it is okay, I know they are busy.  But, I still does not change the fact that I am anxious to get it back & have some fun!!

It gets to the house on Wednesday.

The color is GB with the silver FoC, heavy grade non UE blade. I got bronze buttons front and back (I know, not really "original" but I have some plans for this saber to make it unique to me. Smiley

I did get the obsidian sound board as well, and I do intend to duel with it. I like the grip on the Graflex type hilts, even for twirling and such. Every blade I have ever handled has been a lightsaber, and all of them have had the ribs around the bottom.

Lucas

"You have failed your highness, I am a Jedi, like my Father before me."

"Basically I am the epitome of bad aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Father, PLEASE! SAVE ME!!!!!!!!"

*SMH*

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: