Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Trustfire Battery Issue  (Read 69763 times)
delayedsession
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 11:39:50 PM »

Hey all! First time poster, so be gentle if I am displaying ignorance haha.

Just out of curiosity, has anybody on this forum had any batteries explode or catch fire on them? I've read some pretty dubious things online about Trustfire and Ultrafire batteries, including exploding in the charger. I've also seen in other places that some TrustFires which advertise protective circuitry don't in fact have any to speak of. This naturally has me a bit worried about my lovely new Monarch. Are there any alternative brands folks might recommend that I could pick up as a precaution? Or am I just being over-cautious? This is my first experience with LiIon batteries (outside of laptops and cellphones), and I want to make sure they're safe.

Thanks everybody.  Smiley

Lord Benzile
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -60

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 12:19:05 AM »

all i can say is theres a risk for everything. you can only be so coutious. As long as you are using common sense and not storing/ charging in a overheating area or where theres moisture and water then its fine.

The Dark Jedi Order.....There is no ignorance, there is knowledge with instinct.

http://www.youtube.com/user/benlosi/videos

delayedsession
Force Sensitive

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 08:06:30 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  As I understand it, the batteries should be separate from the saber while not in use, yes?
I also read not to charge them without supervising them. What storage methods might people recommend?

scraver
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 89

Force is in the application

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 09:13:13 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  As I understand it, the batteries should be separate from the saber while not in use, yes?
I also read not to charge them without supervising them. What storage methods might people recommend?

Mine live in the charger. I haven't had any problems with heat or anything else.

Guardian with Sound (Emerald) and nickel plated shroud

Wish list:
Bunch of DIY bits. Cheesy

delayedsession
Force Sensitive

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 09:20:26 AM »

And you just use the default LiIons that it came with, yeah? That makes me feel much better. Thanks!

scraver
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 89

Force is in the application

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 10:34:57 AM »

And you just use the default LiIons that it came with, yeah? That makes me feel much better. Thanks!
Correct li-ions and charger both came with the 'saber.

Guardian with Sound (Emerald) and nickel plated shroud

Wish list:
Bunch of DIY bits. Cheesy

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 08:28:07 PM »

I would always stick to the TrustFires from Ultrasabers to be sure you have right ones for your saber. Also, you're right about separating the batteries from the saber if you don't use it. Just be sure to store the Li-Ions in the Universal Charger or - if you have a Recharge Port on your saber - plug the Charger into the Port while the batteries are inserted in the saber.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

fortis7
Force Sensitive

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 10:03:03 AM »

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, or knows of it, but I was keeping my batteries on the charger for my Phantasm, one day I went to take them off and it appeared acid had leaked out of one of the sets of batteries (kinda looked like it had rusted) only know it was acid because my buddy pointed out to me that the charger was partly melted. Threw them out immediately. But know after putting the other set in my saber to use, it looks like one (of know the remaining two) appears to have a couple small rusty color spots on one end (possibly acid) and some on the connecting end inside the saber itself. I keep it all away from moister so I'm just confused about what might be going on. Anyone have any ideas or know of any help? I'm afraid to charge my (currently) last set of batteries.

eerockk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 662

TPLA Lx Apprentice - Nova 7

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 05:59:15 PM »

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, or knows of it, but I was keeping my batteries on the charger for my Phantasm, one day I went to take them off and it appeared acid had leaked out of one of the sets of batteries (kinda looked like it had rusted) only know it was acid because my buddy pointed out to me that the charger was partly melted. Threw them out immediately. But know after putting the other set in my saber to use, it looks like one (of know the remaining two) appears to have a couple small rusty color spots on one end (possibly acid) and some on the connecting end inside the saber itself. I keep it all away from moister so I'm just confused about what might be going on. Anyone have any ideas or know of any help? I'm afraid to charge my (currently) last set of batteries.

Sounds like the battery was put in the wrong way in the charger. That's the only thing that I can think of if the charger was burnt as well. Of course, it's rare, but it could be a factory defect as well. I'd email Ultrasabers about this and see what they say.

Bellicose - Prophecy V3 - Overlord - Archon 2.1 - Guardian

OISIN NOM
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 112

LIGHT SIDE POINTS

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 07:02:46 AM »

How can I get more batteries? Do I have to order them, or is there a store where I can get more?

GAURDIAN BLUE INITIATE V3
CONSULAR GREEN LIBERATOR V3
BLAZING RED MANTICORE (MODIFIED EMITER TO OVERLORD)

pandacowjedi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -2

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 04:31:14 PM »

Where can I get spare batteries for my Raven light saber with sound?

OPEN THE BLAST DOORS!  OPEN THE BLAST DOORS!

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 04:55:35 PM »

Here from Ultrasabers or at any store that sells PCB protected 3.7V 14500 TrustFire batteries Smiley

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Ziran Le
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2014, 05:21:34 PM »

Note:  Trustfire is not the only company that makes 14500 L-Ion batteries and they are all made in China, probably in the same factory, haha.  That does NOT mean that all batteries are the same however.  I spent a lot of time looking at these things on, well, "the world's 2 largest online" internet sites for selling things and there are a zillion of them for sale at different prices.  Ultrasabers' price on them is competitive with, if not better than the price that you'll find from those other, "big guys" and they aren't shipping them to you on a slow boat from China (but rather, on a very fast truck, from Texas!). 

Also, I've looked at a zillion listings for these things and most of them are written by a Chinese guy with poor English skills so they say something useful in the description like, "Only it is the best power for you and your device!  Green is the energy to be recharged by you 1000 times and saving Earth!  Maximum power is best for you and battery will bring it!"  Yeah, thx guy.  Not helpful.  So, the reason that I bring it up is to say that if you aren't buying batteries that clearly state that they are "protected", have "protective circuits or circuitboards", or have "PCB", youre taking a risk that they are the cheaper and possibly less safe to use, "unprotected" batteries.

I've only read one online complaint where a person described having a battery which was not protected "blow up" or catch on fire after having been overcharged and the credibility of the reporter was...questionable, however US recommends using the protected batteries and spending an extra couple of bucks to insure that your expensive saber runs properly is likely a good investment.

[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/b44df17a0009fcd0.png[/img]

UltraSabers : 7
Prophecy V3 (GB w/Obsidian), Liberator V3 (AS with yellow filter), Dominix V3 (GB), Standard Issue V3 (FO), Aeon LE V3 (VA - Wife's), Dominix LE V2 (BR - Son's, 5yo), Dark Init. LE V2 (CG - Daughter's, 8yo)

Want: Archon, Bellicose, Graflex, Chosen One, new V4s

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2014, 06:26:21 PM »

Of course there are other companies, too Smiley I just mentioned those because they're the ones US sells...and they're known to work with their sabers Cheesy

Sig by Master Nero

OISIN NOM
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 112

LIGHT SIDE POINTS

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2014, 04:55:25 AM »

Is there a store I can find them at or can I only order them online?

GAURDIAN BLUE INITIATE V3
CONSULAR GREEN LIBERATOR V3
BLAZING RED MANTICORE (MODIFIED EMITER TO OVERLORD)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: