Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Colour wheel  (Read 1764 times)
Darth Vapour
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -98

« on: August 26, 2013, 01:34:43 PM »

Hi guys, I have been inspired by several threads to have a go at wiring up a colour wheel. I got a 6 position rotary switch from the local electronics store for about $2 and then set about the task. First I tested different RGB combinations with varying resistors and drew up a little chart for reference, and then worked out what colours I was going to use for the project. In the end I decided on Yellow, Lime Green, CG, ?EG shade, AB and GB. Essentially moving through the spectrum slowly from the yellow through to the GB. I considered DVA or VA, which could have replaced one of the greens but didn't for this one. I didn't do red as its a sith colour, and so stuck with jedi colours so to speak. Also I considered AS, was included actually until I started drawing up the wiring diagrams, and given I only had a 2 pole switch it made things too messy. Anyway, I have done the MLS plus colour wheel unit, now I just have to make a saber to put it in  Undecided

This is the MLS colour wheel combo, the rotary switch is quite long but is plastic and can be trimmed to size and an appropriate knob put on

Yellow

Lime Green

Consular Green

?Emerald Green

Arctic Blue

Guardian Blue

"WRATH" Overlord PO Obsidian
"ICE" Customized Liberator AB Obsidian
"Fire" Dark Liberator BR
Hasbro Vader FX
Aeon V2 SY, Consular CG,
"Guardian" Customised SI V2 GB
Custom built Shock CG with obsidian FO FOC
Custom Yari staff BR

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 02:41:03 PM »

Please post how you wired this, and what resistors are needed. Sweet work!

dark side points please

chicago.jedi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 287

Light side points please

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 03:13:18 PM »

Fantastic work! I don't think I have seen anything like this done before.

Can't wait to see the finished saber. Get ready for some cram-fu (smashing everything inside)!!

Nice job, point.

Ninja-Jedi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 168

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 03:38:50 PM »

Now that is what Im talking about. Nice job on the wiring. If it were me when I go to mount it i would shave down that stem with my dremel, find a brass or aluminum
knob that matches your saber and drill it out to diameter of stem on color where so u got a nice custom knob to go with your saber

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 03:42:29 PM »

I am having a space issue on my current build and this would be super to know how to set up.  Really looking forward to more information.

Blue

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Darth Vapour
Knight Major

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 04:04:35 AM »

I am having a space issue on my current build and this would be super to know how to set up.  Really looking forward to more information.

Blue

Hey blue, what specifics would you like? I will post a wiring diagram tonight after work (Australian time). A lot of space has been saved by wiring together outputs. For example all the greens and the AB require full green led power so I have wired terminals 2-5 together so only one output needed from the switch. The resisted green for the yellow went from terminal one through a resistor (down) and back up to the other terminal complex, so still needed just the one output for green. I did a similar thing for the red and blue using terminals 7-12. It was a 2 pole 6 position switch. I made sure that no terminal output to more than one colour.

Each switch position had two outputs in pair 1,7 2,8 etc

"Fire" Dark Liberator BR
Hasbro Vader FX
Aeon V2 SY, Consular CG,
Custom Yari staff BR

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 08:22:29 PM »

A diagram would be super awesome.  Thanks for taking the time to post that. 

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Ninja-Jedi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 168

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 09:00:37 PM »

also for those of you who want even more colors u can get a 12 pos rotary just like this one it what Makoto uses for his 12 colorwheel sabers, The nice thing is u can do all regular colors, plus mixed colors, and still have 6 pos left over to do forum colors

Darth Vapour
Knight Major

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 11:38:35 AM »

Hey ninja/blue sorry i didn't get to it last night. Here are two drawings, the first is the wiring schematic I used, the second is how I wired it up to minimize the amount of wire used. Hope that helps.

"Fire" Dark Liberator BR
Hasbro Vader FX
Aeon V2 SY, Consular CG,
Custom Yari staff BR

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: