Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Superman’s New Comic Book Costume Revealed  (Read 1285 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: February 01, 2015, 07:17:29 PM »

Published by Ben Moore

When The New 52 rebooted the DC Universe back in 2011, that meant pretty much every DC comic book character got a new costume. A large portion of the Justice League – including Batman, Superman, and The Flash – received similar updates (courtesy of Jim Lee). They all vaguely resembled the old costumes, of course – Superman with his reds and blues, Batman with his grays and blacks, and The Flash with his yellows and reds – but the new ones all looked armored and had similarly intricate line work.

Superman’s costume was arguably the most drastically different, as his classic red and blue costume lost the red trunks for the first time in – well, ever. In part, the change seemed like a coordinated move for the upcoming release of Man of Steel, which would also see Superman lose his red trunks (and for the first time on the big screen). Some fans were okay with the new look, but others couldn’t stand how busy the costume was. Additionally, there were those fans that yearned for a return to a more traditional outfit – not to mention a return to a more traditional DC Universe.
For a while now, we’ve known that Superman would be getting a new costume in the New 52 comics, as John Romita Jr. – who had famously left Marvel Comics – would be joining Geoff Johns on Superman; as part of the deal, Romita Jr. would be redesigning Superman’s red and blue duds.

Now we’ve got our first look at the new costume. Have the trunks returned? Is it more traditional? Is it less busy and armor-esque? See for yourself below:

And compare it to Jim Lee’s New 52 costume below:

So overall, it’s not hugely different – there are still no trunks, there’s still some line work – but there are some noteworthy differences regardless. The new look appears to be more fabric-based than Jim Lee’s armor design, the boots are much more traditional, there are now fingerless gloves, the belt has a little yellow in it, etc.

Generally, it seems to be a lot less busy for busy’s sake, too – a good thing – and what seams remain feel like something Jack Kirby could’ve gotten behind (Romita Jr. loves his Jack Kirby seams; see: Kick-Ass).

Some people are saying it resembles Henry Cavill’s Batman v Superman costume, but I’m not really seeing that. While the BvS costume is more colorful than its Man of Steel predecessor, Jim Lee’s Superman design wasn’t exactly washed out.

Personally, I was never a huge fan of Jim Lee’s take, so I’m happy the big guy is getting a new look. At first glance, this one seems like an improvement. It’s certainly not what my ideal Superman costume would look like, but it works for me. This is just one image, though – we’ll have to wait to see what it looks like in the hands of other artists and across a number of issues.

What say you, Screen Ranters? Are you a fan of Superman’s new look? Do you wish the red trunks would make a comeback? Drop us a line in the comments.

Superman’s new costume will be appearing in Superman #38, written by Geoff Johns and drawn by John Romita Jr. and Klaus Janson. Look for it in stores and digitally on February 4th, 2015.

Sauce: http://screenrant.com/superman-comic-books-new-costume-john-romita-jr/

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 08:08:16 PM »

Hi.  I forgot that Superman of old wore red trunks.  Totally got lost when SM from the past went to the future to pretend(?) to be his future self to rescue his love Wonder Woman.  Whew... did I get that right?  Am looking forward to the Superman vs Batman movie.  The really old comic books seemed to have much better illustrators and I enjoyed them more.  Perhaps not so busy looking.  Have recently started buying more comics again so thanks for the update and a point flying your way.  Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: