Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Safety When Sabering  (Read 3522 times)
Olu-Wa Igniscor
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 3

Jedi Apprentice

« on: April 11, 2015, 10:10:36 PM »

Hello, I'm fairly new to lightsaber combat, and I've been wondering about safety gear. I'm hoping on doing some sparring with a friend, and as a fencer, I have a couple fencing masks we could use, but I was wondering about body wear. I don't think that my fencing jacket would offer that much protection against a strike, so I was wondering what some of the Masters here would recommend? Also, what about in the way of gloves? Could fencing gloves suffice?

Otaku Homeschooler and Jedi Apprentice!

Northeast Ohio FTW!

MikaelPfeffer
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 12

Balance in all things, including points!

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 11:02:13 PM »

On some of the other threads they've mentioned lacrosse gloves.... For heavy, full contact sparring, kendo armor.... Internet is spotty atm otherwise I'd throw some links up...

Olu-Wa Igniscor
Knight Apprentice

Jedi Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 06:55:58 PM »

Thanks for the info! I'll peruse some of the older threads in due time. Smiley

Northeast Ohio FTW!

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 10:12:55 PM »

Your fencing masks will be a big help, I highly recommend using those.  For your hands, I like to use hockey or lacrosse gloves since they're designed for that kind of protection.  Ideally for the chest you'd have some kind of padding, at TPLA we use all kinds of different things from motocross armor to fencing gear.  I still have my coach's vest from when I was coaching foil, so I tend to use that to protect my torso at least (although something to protect the shoulders and/or arms would be nice)

Olu-Wa Igniscor
Knight Apprentice

Jedi Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 11:39:35 AM »

Your fencing masks will be a big help, I highly recommend using those.  For your hands, I like to use hockey or lacrosse gloves since they're designed for that kind of protection.  Ideally for the chest you'd have some kind of padding, at TPLA we use all kinds of different things from motocross armor to fencing gear.  I still have my coach's vest from when I was coaching foil, so I tend to use that to protect my torso at least (although something to protect the shoulders and/or arms would be nice)

Thanks for the advice, Master Nero! I'll definitely look into that, especially as I'm hoping for armor that doesn't hinder mobility too much.

Northeast Ohio FTW!

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 10:08:30 PM »

Thanks for the advice, Master Nero! I'll definitely look into that, especially as I'm hoping for armor that doesn't hinder mobility too much.

You would think that it would, but it doesn't all that much.  It's more a benefit than a hindrance, since it allows you to perform every action without fear or reservation due to potential danger.

Olu-Wa Igniscor
Knight Apprentice

Jedi Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 04:17:25 PM »

I found this after looking around for a bit:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Protective-Motocross-Accessories-Axialpumpe/dp/B00PGWQYZW/ref=pd_sbs_auto_11?ie=UTF8&refRID=0EM69C798HZ8VSXFHZZB

From the review it has, it seems pretty good. I'll start looking for gloves soon. I'm not sure when I'll actually order, but it's good to have it all ready when I do intend to get them. Smiley

Northeast Ohio FTW!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: