Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Easy, Durable & Solderless Wiring Tutorial  (Read 4904 times)
Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« on: July 11, 2015, 10:35:56 PM »

Hey All,

I've been meaning to write this up for quite a while and since James Casey posted his excellent tutorial on adding Quick Disconnects (http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=16431.0), it seems like a good time to get it out there.

I thought this would be a good alternative for people who want try some electronic mods - but do not have a soldering iron or the experience to feel confident using one on your UltraSaber.

I picked this trick up about 5 years ago from a book on automotive wiring (http://amazon.com/gp/product/1932494871) and have been using it ever since.

This will create an extremely durable Wire to Wire connection without solder.  I've used it in cars, our home, electronics and yes - now Lightsabers as well.  Never had a single connection come loose in those 5 years with this technique!   Smiley

In fact, you'll need to use a significant amount of strength to pull this apart; far more than any normal use of your Saber would ever incur.

Before we get started, I'd just like to remind you - as James did - modifying your Saber electronics will Void your Warranty.  So always proceed with caution.

And of course - always remove the batteries before you start any wiring work!!! 

Ok - ready?  Here we go . . .

Aside from the wire, you'll need only a few basic supplies:

-  A wire multi-tool

-  Electrical tape

-  Scissors for cutting the tape

For this example, I'm using solid wire but stranded works fine to.  Just twist the wire as tight as you can individually before pairing them.

Start by using the wire tool to strip off about an inch of the wire:

Set the 2 wires side by side - not across from each other:

Twist the pair together as tightly as possible:

Snip off the top of the twisted pair, leaving the tightest area of the wire twist. Take off just enough so it can be easily wrapped with the tape:

Now - pull the wires across from each other, leaving the exposed twist parallel to one of the 2 wires exactly as you see in the picture; this the key to it's strength.

Tape the exposed twist to the wires as tightly as possible:

Use the wire tool to crimp both ends of the tape to create a tight seal around the exposed area:

And . . .

It's that easy!

Enjoy modding your Saber!

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Roband
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -38

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 02:58:11 AM »

Nice, I've used this technique on automotive wiring, but never thought to use it on a saber.

Points for you my friend!

PASSION, yet PEACE
SERENITY, yet EMOTION
CHAOS, yet ORDER
THE FORCE, in BALANCE

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 04:58:14 AM »

Very nice Lord C! I've read so many forum members who comment on not having the tools or comfort level to perform a few of these mods. This will provide a great alternative for many.

+1

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 05:25:09 PM »

Cool tip, Lord C. I may give this a try next time I do some work - I've never been all that happy about using a soldering iron, so this looks very useful Smiley

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Lord Canterbury
Knight Commander

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 06:43:15 PM »

Cool tip, Lord C. I may give this a try next time I do some work - I've never been all that happy about using a soldering iron, so this looks very useful Smiley

Great.  Glad to see people think it will be useful.

I figure if 1 person uses it for a cool Saber mod they wouldn't have done otherwise, then it was worth it.  Smiley

I use it because, frankly, it saves a ton of time and is just easier than soldering for wire to wire and it's proven more than strong enough for Saber use to date.

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 01:59:20 PM »

Great tutorial Lord C, +1, and just the right amount of pics  Wink

Shows how OCD I am, I do the same twist but just have to solder it too, and I always fold it back also, and use heat shrink, lol... For me, I would always solder my LED quick disconnects, especially with some of the premium or forum colours, as there can be a few wires to join, and if you're changing LEDs often it could put stress on those..... But that's just me, and my advice.....  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 02:02:49 PM by JediXIX » Logged

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Lord Canterbury
Knight Commander

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 02:18:29 PM »

Great tutorial Lord C, +1, and just the right amount of pics  Wink

Shows how OCD I am, I do the same twist but just have to solder it too, and I always fold it back also, and use heat shrink, lol... For me, I would always solder my LED quick disconnects, especially with some of the premium or forum colours, as there can be a few wires to join, and if you're changing LEDs often it could put stress on those..... But that's just me, and my advice.....  Smiley

Yeah I gotcha!  Like I said though, 5 years of doing this everywhere and no signs of wear on anythng yet so - Sabers crossed.  Wink

And as Haz mentioned- really this is more for people who don't have an iron or just wouldn't ever want to attempt soldering their UltraSabers.

Sarich Belmont
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 54

I am legend.

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 06:05:10 PM »

It's a neat technique, but it has incredibly limited uses. You can't use it for LEDs, soundboards and switches, since those require direct soldering. Plus, eventually all of that movement is going to knock something free.

"I don't aim to be like you, Master, not at all. I aim to be better." Jacen Sarich, then-Padawan. (From my old Star Wars D20 days.)

Under Construction...

Kouri
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 328

Artisan

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 07:14:23 PM »

It's a neat technique, but it has incredibly limited uses. You can't use it for LEDs, soundboards and switches, since those require direct soldering. Plus, eventually all of that movement is going to knock something free.

Limited, sure, but not incredibly so. LEDs, battery packs, switches, soundboards, and buckpucks can all be purchase pre-wired, making this a  a viable option for lots of saber builds.

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 02:20:39 PM »

Thanks Lord Canterbury- this is my favourite kind of post!  I'm pretty new to the forum, and saber collecting/ modding/ duelling world in general.  When I got my first ever order in, a pair of liberators with sound and an emerald catalyst, my thoughts naturally went to customizing- I couldn't wait to get started.  Being my first ever project, decided to just 'dip my feet in' so to speak, and the work involved is mostly resurfacing/ refinishing, making blade plugs etc.  But the nearer I get to completing this 1st project, the more my thoughts are drifting to the next one- and whatever I decide to take on next, I know this time it's going to involve much more structural/ electrical modifications.  It's definitely going to be a challenge, I'll be learning this stuff as I go at every step, and I have no background or experience in electrical or machining or anything of the sort.

But I do have a natural knack for creative stuff and working with hands etc. and it's because of people who are willing to share their know how like this, that I'm filled with excitement at the thought of all the projects to come Smiley on my own i doubt I would have the confidence to get too deep into messing with my sabers, but armed with this forum and all the great members who are willing to give their time, help, and knowledge, I'm sure I will be able to progress towards some pretty impressive builds.  So point to you sir.  I know there must be many others here in the same boat as me, and we really appreciate Smiley may The Force be with you

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: