Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Best value protective gear for sparring  (Read 2491 times)
Rayrox222
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 3

« on: September 29, 2015, 12:59:57 PM »

There is an excellent YouTube video demonstrating minimum safety gear needed to spar with a sane amount of protection.   Fencing helmet, check.  Lacrosse or hockey gloves, check.  For those with lots of sparring experience what additional protective gear would you recommend and where is a good place to shop for it?  Aiming for best value options, not what is top of the line most expensive. Im guessing ideally you also want some protection for forearms, legs, shins, chest as well...that about cover it? 

Bonus points if you can point me to where darth tony et al. at that one dojo got those BADASS robes you see in those training videos Tongue

Rayrox222
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 02:23:03 PM »

A few other things I gather from research for which I welcome discussion of pros and cons. ..
Kendo sets price ranges vary WIDELY and quality difference is not clear.  The helmets in these sets are quite different from what most seem to advise for ultra saber combat: fencing visors.  So far this is my consideration for protective gear for sparring.  i have found all of these available on amazon.com  
I welcome any comments as to whether it looks like good choices for protection.

Head/neck - absolute standard 3-W mask xs ~ xl by absolute fencing gear for $49.00

Hands - brine uprising lacrosse glove for $34.95

Forearms - damascus fp10 imperial eva forearm protectors by damascus protective gear for $19.92

Torso and shoulders - warrior adrenaline x2 hitman adult shoulder pad for $60.00

Legs - proforce gladiator hakama for $54.95*
Serious doubts about this one its not clear to me these protect so much as provide a good kendo aesthetic look.

Any other advisable protective gear?  Elbows?  Upper arms?  I would love all feedback on this!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 03:03:25 PM by Rayrox222 » Logged

Kaza yuri
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -39

Shikin Haramitu Daikomyo

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 09:43:39 PM »

The best protective gear is to spar an experienced and skilled partner, and to develop the skill and experience yourself.

Control of your swings and the knowledge that you opponent will do the same is the best form of protection.

That being said, after you protect the groin and or chest for the ladies, hands (i recommend quality lacrosse gloves that protect the finger tips as well as the wrists), the head (either a fencing mask or a kendo mask), and the chest and shoulders (again lacrosse or hockey are great) you should be worried about joints. The forearm, shins and thighs will welt and bruise but if you are fighting an opponent with control and skill they will nto be wailing on you so hard that you would break anything or do serious damage. However joins are fairly fragile when hit in just the right way, so elbow pads, knee pads etc are a great option. Again hockey and lacrosse make great matching elbow pads so it can look like an outfit.

here is what I use -
Chest -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CLLZO3Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00
Elbows -
http://www.amazon.com/Easton-Mako-Elbow-Pads-SENIOR/dp/B00AVPHIKO/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1443562702&sr=1-1&keywords=Easton+Mako+elbow
Head -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HKRMMQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
Hands -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EU20NMY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

We do not currently count legs as targets but when we do i am going to use these -
http://www.amazon.com/Iglobalbuy-Off-Road-Motorcycle-Motocross-Protection/dp/B00RLAXUXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443562829&sr=8-1&keywords=shin+and+knee+protection

and if you decide you like sparring crazy without control i would recommend this as mandatory as well -
http://www.amazon.com/AbsoluteForce-AF-HEMA-Neck-Protector/dp/B008VGGRV6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443562977&sr=8-1&keywords=hema+neck

i hope this helps.
Through Sabers all will be united!

Learning how to love is the goal and the purpose of spiritual life
Not learning to develop psychic powers, to bow, do yoga, chant, or even meditate
But learning how to love. Love is the truth. Love is the light
Wish List - Crimson Scorpion, 2 Dark Arbiters with Menace Emitters, Dark Prophecy
Owned - 19 Sabers and counting, to many to list . . .

Rayrox222
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 03:21:02 AM »

This helps tremendously!   Thank you so much

Rayrox222
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 03:39:17 PM »

Kaza do you find no forearm protection is necessary (just dont ever get hit there in practice) and the gloves alone suffice for that area?

Also surprised to see youd encourage extra neck protection AFTER the fencing visor that looks like it does plenty for the neck

Maestro
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 17

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 08:53:54 PM »

a padded gambeson, a midieval garment readily available online is actually about all you really need unless you are getting recklessly hammered on.
fencing masksare pretty good, that's all I wear. they are designed to only protect against being cut or pierced, they aren't good for absorbing
kinetic energy. a neck pad is not a terrible idea, but not usually needed.

Kaza yuri
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -39

Shikin Haramitu Daikomyo

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 06:07:18 PM »

I find that most of the soft areas (like forearms and thighs) only get welts and bruises, so that part i think is up to user discretion, if you don't want the welts get the forearm protection for sure.

I only suggest the neck protection if thrusts to the head and torso are allowed in the system you are using. the sabers sneak under the neck piece on the mask pretty easily if you are thrusting.

I find that protecting the joints is the most crucial as a hit there does much greater damage than to the soft tissue.

I also greatly recommend round tips, no pointed or bullet tips if thrusting is allowed.

Learning how to love is the goal and the purpose of spiritual life
Not learning to develop psychic powers, to bow, do yoga, chant, or even meditate
But learning how to love. Love is the truth. Love is the light
Wish List - Crimson Scorpion, 2 Dark Arbiters with Menace Emitters, Dark Prophecy
Owned - 19 Sabers and counting, to many to list . . .

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: