Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Review: Dominix V1 (Guardian Blue) / Liberator V2.1 (SRD)  (Read 5034 times)
foster
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: January 11, 2011, 04:40:14 AM »

I've had these sabers for a while, but this is my first attempt at reviewing them.

Dominix V1
LED Color - Guardian Blue
Blade Type - Ultraedge Heavy-Grade
Hilt Length - ~12.5in.
Blade Depth in Hilt - ~4in.
Additional Options on Purchase - Lathe-cut Grooves

This was my first saber purchase, May-ish '09. My hobbies tend to be expensive (and I sometimes take extended hiatuses from them), so the low price helped keep me from getting in trouble with my wife. Thanks Ultrasabers!

The Dominix does not disappoint. It's a hoss. I was a little weary about it being PVC, but the thing can take a beating & give it in return. It has plenty of room for a two-handed grip, even for large hands. I ordered it with the lathe-cut grooves thinking that it would make it a little more grippy. I haven't really noticed if it helps much, but it does make it look better.
The Guardian Blue is bright and... is blue. No surprise there. If you like blue you'll dig the GB.
The Ultraedge Heavy-Grade is extremely durable, I have no point of reference because I was so pleased with it that I haven't tried anything else. I've used it against wooden bokkens and it only suffered scuffs and a few scratches. The scuffs came out easily enough, scrubbing with a toothbrush.
As with all of the Ultrasabers line, the Dominix is a blank canvas for those who want to make it their own. I added a few thick o-rings near the emitter because I kept scraping my knuckle on it.

Pros: Cheap, Durable, Customization
Cons: Edge on emitter is a little sharp, (not really a con, but with the V2 out for pretty cheap as well; you'd do well to splurge on a metal hilt)
pic with flash

pic without flash

obligatory blade picture

Liberator V2.1
LED Color - Sun Rider's Destiny
Blade Type - Ultraedge Heavy-Grade
Hilt Length - ~11.5in.
Blade Depth in Hilt - ~1.5in.

I purchased this saber with the intention of taking it with me to Celebration V, but ended up leaving it at home after considering the worst-case scenarios for travel by air. Also, it looks friggin' cool.

The Liberator is very comfortable to hold and duel with, one or two-handed. The edges on the cuts above & below the concave were pretty sharp, but became a non-problem when I put some thin o-rings in them. The saber is quick & pretty well balanced with the weighted pommel. I haven't had a problem with the blade wobbling, as I saw another reviewer had. The blade fits snug and sturdy. It gives a little more reach since the blade isn't as far into the hilt as the Dominix.
I was a little disappointed with the SRD at first, expecting it to be more turquoise after looking at as many pictures as I could find, but the cyan quickly grew on me and now I dig it. It is very bright and definitely eye-catching.
The Ultraedge Heavy looks great with the SRD as well.
I did a little more customizing with this one. In addition to throwing on some o-rings, I painted the "grip" part with glossy black spray enamel and added a kobold d-ring from TCSS... which if anyone has experience with one and could tell me what size screw it needs, I'd be most-appreciative (couldn't find a fit at local Lowes).

Pros: Comfortable, Affordable, Customization (even though it looks good out-of-the-box)
Cons: ... Can't combine with V2.2 for a staff
pic with flash

pic without flash

obligatory blade picture

Side-by-side size comparison of Dominix v. Liberator

Side-by-side comparison of Guardian Blue v. Sun Rider's Destiny

Bad taste is simply saying the truth before it should be said.
-Mel Brooks

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 03:54:12 AM »

SRD Liberator! That was on wish list, but after seeing this it shot straight to the top!

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

andilynnwoods
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -3

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 04:11:41 PM »

My dominix V1 is on the way and is coming in sometime this week!!!  Nice review answered my questions!!

MY SABERS                            FRIENDS SABERS
Ancient Bane: Artic Blue          Dominix V1: Blazing Red 
Initiate V2 LE: Consular Green Phantom V2: Red/Blue
Initiate V2 LE: Gaurdian Blue   Initiate V2 LE: Blazing Red
Aeon: Artic Blue                      Initiate V2 LE: Gaurdian Blue

Stockton
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 67

Leave Your Legacy - Light side point please!

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 10:08:37 PM »

Congrats on your purchase!

andilynnwoods
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 03:43:55 AM »

IT'S HERE!!!!! And what do u expect I LOVE IT!!! I will post my review Probly tomorrow gonna get more pics... ps Its amazing

KreepnSlayer
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -2

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 06:53:56 PM »

IT'S HERE!!!!! And what do u expect I LOVE IT!!! I will post my review Probly tomorrow gonna get more pics... ps Its amazing

Congrats!!!!!
You were thinking of a dark initiate at one point weren't you? You'll be glad you have the dominix if you're a two-handed weilder.

War Glaive - RGB - Sith Sound board.
Special Edition Prophecy - RGB
Dark Liberator - Arctic Blue
Dominix V2 LE - Sunriders Destiny
Aeon - Violet Amethyst
Dark Initiate V2 LE - Blazing Orange
Force FX - Darth Vader

andilynnwoods
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 10:32:23 PM »

Congrats!!!!!
You were thinking of a dark initiate at one point weren't you? You'll be glad you have the dominix if you're a two-handed weilder.

yeah im still getting it but this one came first hahahahh

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 12:41:35 PM »

I have a Dominix v1 too, in Consular Green though.  It's a classic!  Solid saber.  Feels like an antique though, now that they switched to all metal sabers lol

Slaide
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 7

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 11:09:47 PM »

Huh, maybe it's just my computer screen, but your Liberator doesn't really appear greenish until it's up against the Dominix. It looks sorta blue on it's own. Tongue How do you like your SRD? I plan on getting something for the sake of owning that color just because it looks so amazing. Grin

Catalyst- Blazing Red

Darth Andronikus
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -31

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 03:35:06 AM »

nice review the saabaers look great

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe

foster
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 11:04:29 PM »

The SRD is my favorite out of all the colors I own (others are Guardian Blue, Consular Green, Fire Orange).

In person, mine's definitely a light blue or closer to cyan (if you work with actual colors (cyan is not turquoise)). Although; if you just shine the bare light onto a surface, you can see a spot of green in the mostly light blue glow.

I ordered it expecting the more turquoise color (which I think I said in the review - it's been a while since I typed it), but the lighter blue grew on me.

As an addendum: I've since gotten a regular ultra edge blade, and the Liberator really shines with that blade thickness. MUCH better balance.

Bad taste is simply saying the truth before it should be said.
-Mel Brooks

Qui-Tom Helms
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 149

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 11:25:55 PM »

I really like the front end of the liberator.  I wished it had options for obsidian, and li-lon batteries.  Good reviews!!

=====================================================================
Zartom   Socerer (Healer)                             Qui-Tom  Sage (Healer)
Trenok   Bounty Hunter (Powertech)               Vartom   Knight (Sentinel)
=====================================================================

navajas
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -19

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 05:22:22 PM »

Really nice Liberator. I LOVE the emitter on that hilt. Looks great in that color as well.

Nice saber.

LE Initiate - Green (for my son)
FreeSaber Archon - Red (for my other son)
Nickel Prophecy - Arctic Blue (for my Mom)
Initiate V3 LE - Destiny (for my wife)
Bane RGB - white FoC (for my brother)
Vermathax - Yellow / Silver / Purple, custom
Archon V2 - Green (amber FoC, *goodies)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: