Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Where's the love for the manticore? Got some questions.  (Read 9247 times)
bonics
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -6

"Is it possible to learn this power?"

« on: April 17, 2016, 04:58:31 PM »

Its been over a week since I've ordered my first saber during the free initiate promo. Its the Manticore w/ Obsidian V4 with Emerald driver. I pretty much ordered it with the works because its such a versatile hilt and will look good with a lot of colors.  I plan to do some spinning and some dueling as well as have it displayed. I ordered mine with the UEHG blade and also added some extra midgrade grab bag blades just to test all of them out. Can't go wrong with $10 per blade! Didn't get the recharge port but I'm having second thoughts. I emailed US to see if its possible to still add it to my order since the hilt is still on backorder.  Two questions.

1. Is it worth the extra $82 to add the recharge port?

2. Would buying another set of Li-ion batteries and swapping them out to avoid any downtime be a good alternate solution to a recharge port?

P.S. Love this forum! Everyone is so helpful and friendly.  Cheesy

Ordered: Manticore w/ Obsidian V4 sound (Emerald)

Darth Blightus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -201

dark side points

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 05:33:28 PM »

Its been over a week since I've ordered my first saber during the free initiate promo. Its the Manticore w/ Obsidian V4 with Emerald driver. I pretty much ordered it with the works because its such a versatile hilt and will look good with a lot of colors.  I plan to do some spinning and some dueling as well as have it displayed. I ordered mine with the UEHG blade and also added some extra midgrade grab bag blades just to test all of them out. Can't go wrong with $10 per blade! Didn't get the recharge port but I'm having second thoughts. I emailed US to see if its possible to still add it to my order since the hilt is still on backorder.  Two questions.

1. Is it worth the extra $82 to add the recharge port?

2. Would buying another set of Li-ion batteries and swapping them out to avoid any downtime be a good alternate solution to a recharge port?

P.S. Love this forum! Everyone is so helpful and friendly.  Cheesy

hi there bonics. congrats on your purchase
your second question pretty much gives an answer to your first. a recharge port is mainly so you dont have to take batteries out.
anyways i personally dont mind taking the time to take the batteries and charge them manually.
its up to you.
as for the second, is it so you can keep playing with your saber while chaging at the same time?
i guess you could do that. my opinion

Only in darkness can one see the true light.

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 05:48:22 PM »

Every saber with sound I have has a recharge port.  I personally feel that it's worth it to have it, as I don't like having to take batteries out.  It's really a convince thing.

Another thing to note on the recharge port, if you get it on one saber and get either the slow or fast charger with it, then the next saber you get you only have to get the port, you don't have to worry about getting another charger.  You can of course, if you're worried about needing to charge both at once, but you don't have to.

And of course, having the recharge port means you can have it on display and turned on all the time if you keep it plugged in (which is a good idea anyway).  And since you got the Obsidian sound board, you can have a "display sound" set for when it's on display.  Emory (the guy that owns US if you haven't seen any of his videos) has one of his sabers with an ocean waves font replacing the standard hum for when he has it on display.

As an alternate to avoid downtime, yes having an extra set (or two, depending on how much you use the saber) of the li-ion batteries is a good idea, although if you're not going to be using the saber for an extended time, the batteries should be out and on the charger, so you may want extra chargers as well.

Or, you could completely eliminate any downtime, and minimize battery removal by getting both a recharge port and extra batteries and charger.  You'll have the extras if it goes down while you're using it, and you have the convenience of just plugging it in to charge when you're not using it.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

bonics
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 06:36:57 PM »

hi there bonics. congrats on your purchase
your second question pretty much gives an answer to your first. a recharge port is mainly so you dont have to take batteries out.
anyways i personally dont mind taking the time to take the batteries and charge them manually.
its up to you.
as for the second, is it so you can keep playing with your saber while chaging at the same time?
i guess you could do that. my opinion

Hi Darth Blightus. Good to hear that it's not that much of a hassle to take the batteries out each time. Do you feel it might loosen the wiring over time?

bonics
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 06:46:29 PM »

Another thing to note on the recharge port, if you get it on one saber and get either the slow or fast charger with it, then the next saber you get you only have to get the port, you don't have to worry about getting another charger.  You can of course, if you're worried about needing to charge both at once, but you don't have to.

I never thought about that. Not having to purchase extra chargers for future sabers is definitely a benefit. Decisions, decisions.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 07:02:47 PM »

It's unlikely but not impossible that the wires, solder joints and the battery pack itself may suffer from the continual push n' pull when swapping batteries. Personally I love the Recharge Port system, every single of my sabers has it. It reduces the stress on the material by a significant amount, so it is always a good thought to add it - even when it's $85 for the port and the fast charger.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

bonics
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 07:40:59 PM »

It's unlikely but not impossible that the wires, solder joints and the battery pack itself may suffer from the continual push n' pull when swapping batteries. Personally I love the Recharge Port system, every single of my sabers has it. It reduces the stress on the material by a significant amount, so it is always a good thought to add it - even when it's $85 for the port and the fast charger.

Yea I totally agree that the recharge port can reduce the stress of the material. I think the investment might be worth it. Do you duel with your manticore?  I'm just curious how the manticore holds up in actual combat.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 07:49:15 PM »

Yes, it's one of my favourite sabers for dueling. It has good balance even with Heavy Grade blades (I even have the High Profile pommel, which shifts the balance further to the pommel end) and provides great grip!

My Archon is also a good dueling saber, almost as good as the Manticore. It has a balance point (assuming a Heavy Grade blade) directly at the end of the emitter, but I tend to hold the saber on the neck which sometimes leads to dents on the leading hand due to the large ring around the lower part of the emitter. So in longer sessions this might become uncomfortable - the Manticore is still comfortable after hours! So definitely a great dueling saber!

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Darth Blightus
Knight Commander

dark side points

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 08:06:37 PM »

Hi Darth Blightus. Good to hear that it's not that much of a hassle to take the batteries out each time. Do you feel it might loosen the wiring over time?

theres a video about how to safely take out the batteries.
remove the pommel the give the hilt a shake (make sure you are holding it straight)
have another hand under the hilt ready to catch the battery pack. when the pack is out enough you can slowly pull it out. just pull it out enough so at least the pack is out completely. the wires are pretty lengthy so i dont think they will loosen so easily as long as your careful

bonics
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 03:08:43 AM »

I decided to add the recharge port. Thanks for all of your input. At the end of the day, I just wanted to have everything in this saber so that I have no regrets.  I have a feeling this will not be my last purchase so I'll have a good idea what options I want on my next one. +1 to all.

Darth Blightus
Knight Commander

dark side points

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 03:14:00 AM »

I decided to add the recharge port. Thanks for all of your input. At the end of the day, I just wanted to have everything in this saber so that I have no regrets.  I have a feeling this will not be my last purchase so I'll have a good idea what options I want on my next one. +1 to all.

thanks for the point
good luck to you on your order and any future order
enjoy your saber and i hope to see pictures and/or hear a review.

Vivectius
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 03:32:07 AM »

Awesome first order.  The Manticore is a very popular dueling saber, and an all around solid choice.

And welcome to the recharge port minority   Cheesy. I think Racona Nova and I are two of the very few that always get recharge ports.  I even got lucky and my 1st place prize from the last raffle (Archon 3.1) came with one.  Grin

The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life

bonics
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 04:04:14 AM »

Awesome first order.  The Manticore is a very popular dueling saber, and an all around solid choice.

And welcome to the recharge port minority   Cheesy. I think Racona Nova and I are two of the very few that always get recharge ports.  I even got lucky and my 1st place prize from the last raffle (Archon 3.1) came with one.  Grin

Wow congrats on that prize. I love the look of the Archon 3.1 and that will probably be my next purchase. 

A question I have is I've seen from some posts that people recommending charging the batteries when the saber is not in use. Is there any downside of leaving it charging through the recharge ports for days or weeks if I'm not using the saber?

Vivectius
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 04:14:52 AM »

Wow congrats on that prize. I love the look of the Archon 3.1 and that will probably be my next purchase. 

A question I have is I've seen from some posts that people recommending charging the batteries when the saber is not in use. Is there any downside of leaving it charging through the recharge ports for days or weeks if I'm not using the saber?
Quite the opposite, it's recommended to have them charging, either taken out and put in a wall charger, or by leaving the saber plugged in via the recharge port, when the saber is not in use.  Usually this pertains to you not using the saber for several weeks, but it's safe and there's no reason not to do it even if you're using the saber daily (plus you know it's fully charged when you pick it up next).

Unknown to death
 Nor known to life

Darth Blightus
Knight Commander

dark side points

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 04:39:39 AM »

Quite the opposite, it's recommended to have them charging, either taken out and put in a wall charger, or by leaving the saber plugged in via the recharge port, when the saber is not in use.  Usually this pertains to you not using the saber for several weeks, but it's safe and there's no reason not to do it even if you're using the saber daily (plus you know it's fully charged when you pick it up next).

just out of curiosity and future reference
whats the potential downside (if any) of just leaving the batteries in the saber when not in use
i mean besides not having a full charge. is it dangerous to the batteries and/or saber

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: