Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Protecting teeth without fencing mask?  (Read 7166 times)
Symptomatics
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -4

« on: April 19, 2016, 03:15:43 AM »

Is there a way to protect your mouth region without going all out with a fencing mask? I have seen a video where a guy totally got one of his teeth knocked out while dueling. I have never had any close encounters with it, but still don't like risking that. Like would mouth guards work or is that mostly to avoid biting down? I am just curious to the alternatives or if it is just a unreasonable concern

Prefer dark side points please

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 196

From my point of view, I have the high ground!

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 04:10:57 AM »

Well, it's not completely unreasonable when you literally saw a guy get his teeth knocked out Wink

To protect your face while dueling without a fencing/kendo/etc. mask, I'd suggest safety goggles and a mouth guard.

The goggles are for the eyes and the mouth guard is pretty much to keep your teeth in place.

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die."

Owned: Sentinel LE, TRI GB, V4 sound

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

Wishlist: Catalyst, Guardian, Manticore, Prophecy V3

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 04:22:53 AM »

If your not going to wear a full face mask then, yeah, at least wear a mouth guard.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 04:32:23 AM »

Yes, at least a mouth guard.

Any particular reason you don't want a fencing mask?

If it's a vision thing, you can always try a hockey helmet and cage.

Or, instead of goggles, a hockey helmet and visor, paired with a mouth guard.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 10:30:30 AM »

I highly recommend a fencing mask for sparring.  There is so much more that can be damaged besides the teeth and eyes, it's just not worth the risk.  They're only about $50 (try the Absolute Fencing Epee Mask), there's basically no reason not to use one.

Symptomatics
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -4

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 11:39:43 AM »

I do plan on eventually upgrading  my face protection, I just am not really in the position to drop another $30 right now to be honest. I just bought some decent hockey gloves last night, and I'm hoping to buy the consular this week hopefully (if it's in stock). thats honestly the main reason

Prefer dark side points please

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 12:20:59 PM »

I do plan on eventually upgrading  my face protection, I just am not really in the position to drop another $30 right now to be honest. I just bought some decent hockey gloves last night, and I'm hoping to buy the consular this week hopefully (if it's in stock). thats honestly the main reason

I do not know in the US but here, in may/june, you can find a lot of used fencing mask on the web for few money because many peoples want to try new sport in spring and some of them stop very quickly Wink

Like others, I never fight without a mask ... too dangerous and too many potential accident ...

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

McClane
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 11

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 01:24:26 PM »

Don't mess around man, get a mask. The risk is way to high.

MadDog357
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 02:50:51 PM »

As long as the people that you're dueling aren't getting running starts and taking power hacks at your mouth or trying to turn your cheek bones into a fine powder a mouth guard and simple eye protection should be fine. There is pretty much a zero percent chance that someone will be swinging hard enough to break your teeth if you have a mouth guard in. Busted lips and bruises make you a more believable Sith. If that's the side your going for.

Maestro
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 17

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 05:11:37 PM »

WEAR A MASK. preferably a fencing mask.

There is no reason not to, all the benefits vastly outweigh the cons.

even with light/ medium sparring, the blades are perfectly capable of disloging a cornea or otherwise permanently damaging an eye. teeth are arguably of a lower concern,
but why risk it? it isn't worth it.

On the flip side I will never fight anyone if they do not have at least a fencing mask on. If you damage them even lightly, you leave yourself exposed to legal ramifications. Don't let any waiver or form fool you. Even the best waivers are only good as support in a legal battle. If they push it, they can really mess up the rest of your foreseeable future. at the very least you might have to pay lawyers and court fees.

Be smart. protect yourself. Wear a mask. Encourage others to do so. We all buy several hundred dollars worth of sabers, you can afford 40$ for a fencing mask.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 05:15:08 PM »

I may be mistaken here since I'm no expert, but looking at those hockey masks, might the cage still allow too much room for the tip of the blade to catch--or worse, slide in, depending on how force accidentally got applied to it?

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 06:32:14 PM »

I may be mistaken here since I'm no expert, but looking at those hockey masks, might the cage still allow too much room for the tip of the blade to catch--or worse, slide in, depending on how force accidentally got applied to it?

The holes are way smaller in person. I suppose a blade could sneak in there, but it would be highly unlikely. There's also this:

Definitely gives great vision and protection, but they're a bit pricey, and many players find they don't vent well(fogging up might be an issue).

(Sig by me!)

McClane
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 11

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 06:43:57 PM »

Don't mess around with other options like hockey masks. Fencing masks are MADE FOR THIS and are defiantly cheap enough.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 06:47:39 PM »

Don't mess around with other options like hockey masks. Fencing masks are MADE FOR THIS and are defiantly cheap enough.

Except not everybody(me included) likes the vision out of a a fencing mask, and/or wants an actual helmet. The helmet and shield above offers a great amount of protection and vision. It's also designed to protect you from things being swung in your face.

(Sig by me!)

Maestro
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 17

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 07:35:52 PM »

Vision out of a fencing mask is a learned skill your brain has to get used to.
I taught fencing for a decade professionally, new fencers always complain about not being able to see.
the longer you wear the mask the more transparent it becomes. Like the way you can always see your
nose but your brain gets used to it and filters it out.
I cant even see much of a difference anymore. give it a month or two and you will feel like you are
just wearing a pair of sunglasses.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: