Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Graflex SE Review (+TRI LED Brightness comparison) !  (Read 11731 times)
CyberKyber
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -432

« on: April 28, 2016, 09:31:37 AM »

Hi all! Cyberkyber here! I’m really happy to announce my latest acquisition, the Ultrasabers Gralfex SE! It is a stunt saber with TRI guardian blue and a 32” heavy grade blade (no sound, but my next purchase will finally be an emerald with sound). Its AV switch is non-illuminated, in an attempt to preserve the really look of a graflex with the touch of US.

The rear button is red and the front one is chrome for an ANH/TFA look.

Its final specification detail is that its blade retention screw is a socket instead of a button style.

For people that are looking forward to constantly remove the blade, I’d recommend the socket over the button, since it needs a bigger wrench and feels much sturdier, I really wouldn’t be afraid of stripping it!

It really is a work of art, so shiny, really screen accurate apart from the activation box (which really isn’t an issue) and apparently the fact that it has 6 T-grips. Apparently the real replicas have 7, but honestly, I don’t think it’s really an issue. Plus, if the US graflex had 7, I’m sure my OCD would be constantly reminding me that it doesn’t have an even number of grips, wouldn’t be comfortable with that XD.

On another note, apparently many people have been saying that the graflex isn’t really comfortable when duelling or spinning, and I even thought so myself before it arrived, but I really don’t see why anymore. I’m quite short (5’5”) and have quite small hands, so I naturally though the graflex would be too bulky for me, but even my small hands can wrap around it. And when using both hands, you can just rest your non-dominant hand (my left hand in my case) on the grips, just above the covertec wheel. It’s true that it is quite a heavy hilt, but I’m not really built and I can pull off plenty of one-handed swings, spins and fancy stuff, so it shouldn’t be a problem for any of you.

As a last comment, not specifically about my graflex, but stunt Ultrasabers in general, if you’re looking at getting a stunt saber I would always, ALWAYS go for a TRI LED (unless you need a premium mixed colour like violet). I’ve always got single led stunt sabers, but I decided to go for a TRI LED for the graflex. When compared to another single guardian blue LED, there isn’t a notable difference in brightness in a dim place. But once you’re in a brightly lit area, you can see the difference.

Both types of LEDs will loose brightness, but the TRI one will prevail. Outdoors, you would barely see a tinge of blue on a single LED saber, but still see quite a lot of brightness on a TRI one. I mean this outdoors in Spain, where the sun is excessive in my opinion XD, so you can imagine how well a TRI saber does.

My prophecy V3 is now happy to have a worthy rival!

Stay awesome, happy dueling!

Lightsabers:
Counterfeit/Violent Darth Vader lightsaber (ROTJ look)- reaper emitter, warglaive body, T-grips, Heiland/MPP activation clamp -
Emerald driver + Obsidian V4 - Crimson red
Menace SE staff - BR
Chosen Once CE - Obs V4 Deep Red (custom)
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Archon V3.1 - Obs V4 Viridian green (custom lime+cyan)
War glaive/reaper hybrid, raven style - Deep Red/FO
Custom Prophecy V3 (Anakin AotC) -Medium Blue (custom)
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Apprentice LE (with black grip) - VA
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 10:10:52 AM »

Great review CyberKyber!

What an awesome saber you have in the Graflex.  I so want one.

Point. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 10:46:49 AM »

Great review CyberKyber!

What an awesome saber you have in the Graflex.  I so want one.

Point. Smiley

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it! =)

Yeah, the graflex is one of Ultrasabers' prettiest sabers, if not the prettiest Tongue

Lightsabers:
Counterfeit/Violent Darth Vader lightsaber (ROTJ look)- reaper emitter, warglaive body, T-grips, Heiland/MPP activation clamp -
Menace SE staff - BR
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

Calculon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 435

We Will Win!

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 05:07:40 PM »

Great choice!

Love how battle ready these versions of the hilts are! Anyone know if the bunny ears hold up? I would take'em off for regular sparring. Protect your ears and the screw tap.

Mwaahahaa I thought your Prophecy was a Chosen one. Nice job! How are your grips holding up? My kid just had me remove hers for tennis grip and a knob for a pistol grip.

The Wolfpack Lives!

Baymillz
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 2

Light side points

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 05:42:46 PM »

Awesome saber! I ordered one just like it last week!

There has been an awakening... Have you felt it?

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 07:03:44 PM »

Great choice!

Love how battle ready these versions of the hilts are! Anyone know if the bunny ears hold up? I would take'em off for regular sparring. Protect your ears and the screw tap.

Mwaahahaa I thought your Prophecy was a Chosen one. Nice job! How are your grips holding up? My kid just had me remove hers for tennis grip and a knob for a pistol grip.

Heya! Yeah, they're really sturdy, quite impressed of how the graflex holds up so far. It's had quite a few hits to the hilt itself resulting in no damage at all, even on the bunny ears. I've actually tried to take them off, but they're screwed in reeeeeeeally tight, had no luck taking them off so far, but since they are quite sturdy anyway it's not a real problem.

And thanks about the prophecy! Definitely the saber that I have dedicated most time to in terms of modding. The Chosen one is my favourite hilt, but it's just too chunky, so I just decided to get the prophecy instead and use heat shrink tube for the emitter and activation box and paint them using metallic black spray paint, and it turns out heat shrink tubing retains paint really well (unlike metal XD). And the grips are great! They're from eBay, though "the other guys" probably offer them too. They stick just using double glue tape already integrated in them. I thought they'd come off easily, but wow, they're fixed in place as if they had been soldered or something! XD

Lightsabers:
Menace SE staff - BR
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 07:05:06 PM »

Awesome saber! I ordered one just like it last week!

Oooo, then you're certainly in for a treat Tongue Stunt? Single or TRI LED? Sound? FoC? Emerald?

Lightsabers:
Menace SE staff - BR
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 196

From my point of view, I have the high ground!

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 08:04:03 PM »

Yes, TRI GB is a natural treasure!

Also, I'm digging that Prophecy mod you have going on. Very nice.

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die."

Owned: Sentinel LE, TRI GB, V4 sound

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

Wishlist: Catalyst, Guardian, Manticore, Prophecy V3

Lord Japarco
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 479

Keep your concentration here and now,...

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 09:39:04 PM »

Nice review. I also have a Tri green in my first saber, and I will be getting a tri blue in my second...a point for you. What do you want? Light or dark side points?

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/Japarco/media/Sentinel%20V4/ffc14996-49bb-425b-9122-f4cd848e3103_zpszdtmyzgk.jpg.html
My Lightsabers:
Sentinel V4 - Tri Consular Green - Obsidian V4
The Guardian - Guardian Blue - Silver Flash on Clash - Obsidian V3 (2nd Summer Raffle 2016 2nd Place Prize)
Wife's Lightsaber: Prophecy V3 - Arctic Blue - Obsidian V3

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 12:20:31 AM »

Yes, TRI GB is a natural treasure!

Also, I'm digging that Prophecy mod you have going on. Very nice.

Totally agree with you, TRI FTW! And thank you! I'm glad you like the mod =)

Lightsabers:
Menace SE staff - BR
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 12:23:48 AM »

Nice review. I also have a Tri green in my first saber, and I will be getting a tri blue in my second...a point for you. What do you want? Light or dark side points?

Nice, and I see you have it with premium sound! The only thing I don't like about TRI and sound is the lack of FoC, I'd really like to see a comparison of brightness between an emerald or a single LED with FoC and just a plain TRI in terms of brightness, just to see the ultimate compromise between brightness and duel functionality XD

Thank you for the point ^_^ Please give me of either side, I don't mind Tongue

Lightsabers:
Menace SE staff - BR
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

Blackstar1331
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 21

Rogue Jedi

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 12:42:30 AM »

Great review! You definitely took some great photos of your Graflex SE. Cheesy
Now I want one!

(I gave you a dark side point since you have Vader as your Icon. Haha.)

Owned: Dark Sentinel (Guardian Blue with Obsidian Lite Setup)
Wishlist: Flamberge (Blazing Red) / Shock (Adegan Silver) / Graflex SE (Arctic Blue)

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 12:54:51 AM »

Great review! You definitely took some great photos of your Graflex SE. Cheesy
Now I want one!

(I gave you a dark side point since you have Vader as your Icon. Haha.)

Haha, thanks! Vader is my favourite after all, and any force point is welcome Tongue
And I really recommend the graflex, I have nothing but good words about it XD Just holding it in your hand makes you feel part of the star wars universe, like the real deal

Lightsabers:
Menace SE staff - BR
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

Lord Japarco
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 479

Keep your concentration here and now,...

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 10:51:17 AM »

Nice, and I see you have it with premium sound! The only thing I don't like about TRI and sound is the lack of FoC, I'd really like to see a comparison of brightness between an emerald or a single LED with FoC and just a plain TRI in terms of brightness, just to see the ultimate compromise between brightness and duel functionality XD

Thank you for the point ^_^ Please give me of either side, I don't mind Tongue
Tri cree is cheaper and brighter, so for me brightness is more important than flash on clash...

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/Japarco/media/Sentinel%20V4/ffc14996-49bb-425b-9122-f4cd848e3103_zpszdtmyzgk.jpg.html
My Lightsabers:
Sentinel V4 - Tri Consular Green - Obsidian V4
The Guardian - Guardian Blue - Silver Flash on Clash - Obsidian V3 (2nd Summer Raffle 2016 2nd Place Prize)
Wife's Lightsaber: Prophecy V3 - Arctic Blue - Obsidian V3

CyberKyber
Knight Templar

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 03:44:44 PM »

Tri cree is cheaper and brighter, so for me brightness is more important than flash on clash...

That's totally fine, everyone has his/her own preference. Plus if you're not a big fan of flash on clash, you get both sound and super brightness, so it's a win-win for you!

Lightsabers:
Menace SE staff - BR
Graflex SE - Obs V4 GB
Dominix V3 LE - CG
Aeon V3 - TRI GB
Dominix V2 - SD

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: