Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Award Won  (Read 4716 times)
Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« on: June 13, 2016, 12:10:58 PM »

I was just named my state's teaching organization's "Young Professional" of the year. I didn't know I was still young enough to win, so I'm tremendously honored and surprised.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 12:24:59 PM »

I was just named my state's teaching organization's "Young Professional" of the year. I didn't know I was still young enough to win, so I'm tremendously honored and surprisex.

Huge congrats for this distinction.  Well done for a youngster.   Wink

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 12:51:13 PM »

Thanks, D7. If it's young at heart, yep, I'm still a giant kid.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 12:56:07 PM »

Congratulations Landen.

The validation must feel great. Smiley

+1

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 02:33:23 PM »

Congrats Landen, the way you talk about your teaching sounds like it's very well deserved . . . +1  Smiley

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 02:33:50 PM »

Woo hoo!

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 02:39:27 PM »

Congrats! Smiley I'm sure there'll be more to come with time (these appreciations are like sabers: once you get into it, ... Wink )

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 02:40:49 PM »

Thanks, everyone!

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 08:24:55 PM »

Hey Landen.  How about sharing more details about the significance of your honor.  Like how you were chosen, perks if any and how this will help with any future career movement and educational plans.  Gave you a point earlier but since this a big deal, you should have another.   Grin

I'll never get voted for anything by my fellow professionals unless it's for the biggest pain in the tooshie.   Roll Eyes

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 09:04:21 PM »

Hey Landen.  How about sharing more details about the significance of your honor.  Like how you were chosen, perks if any and how this will help with any future career movement and educational plans.  Gave you a point earlier but since this a big deal, you should have another.   Grin

I'll never get voted for anything by my fellow professionals unless it's for the biggest pain in the tooshie.   Roll Eyes

Well, to be honest with you, I didn't even know anything about the award until this morning, let alone that I had been nominated. I figured it was for young pups, and since I'm not exactly one, I never paid much mind to it.

I was actually nominated for teacher of the year for my subject area, and that's what I applied for. I've been nominated for that award 3 or 4 other times, but I always kept losing (including this time) to teachers with far longer careers than me, so I just figured it wasn't my time, even though there are plenty within my state who think I'd be a strong candidate for the national teacher of the year award, which is how I think we ended up here.

Looking at how they judge regional and national award winners for my award, this award is for teachers with less than 10 years teaching experience, and I just finished my 9th. They have to show a strong devotion to advancing and creating programs, effective teaching, and service to the profession by giving presentations at conferences, serving the state organizations, and a quite a few other criteria. Looking at those, I easily check off a lot of the criteria, even though only a handful are necessary to considered for the award.

Aside from being a really strong match for the award, I think my state picked me, because historically, we have not had a strong showing with this award at the national level, and they've already told me to go for it, but I could be wrong. There just aren't a lot of young teachers who know how to do what I do across so much of the spectrum.

As for the perks, as mentioned, there is a possibility of getting some national recognition, it looks great on a resume, because i can call myself an award winning teacher, it will help with presentations in other states, and it would help with other grants I write, because people like to align themselves with teachers who have beem recognized, and things like that. Not far from me, there is a restaurant that makes it into the top 100 steakhouses in the country, and I told my wife if I win the teacher of the year award, I want dinner there. We'll see if she transfers it. If nothing else, I'm probably one of the oldest to ever get the young professional award.  Smiley

I appreciate the points, and if you ever get nominated for that, I'm sure you'll be the unanimous choice.  Cheesy

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 09:23:03 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin  Tongue

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 09:33:13 PM »

Congratulations! Cheesy

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 09:55:35 PM »

Thanks, DJ.

Edit:
I did just get my first perk. My wife came home and made me carrot cake (my favorite) cupcakes. Mmmm!!!

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 11:08:37 PM »

Congratulations Landen! Teachers never seem to get enough recognition. It's good to hear about your success. Oh, and very jealous of the carrot cake cupcakes.

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 11:15:05 PM »

Ooooh, cupcakes!  Well earned!

And thanks for reminding me that I left some muffins I bought over at my parents' house.  I cannot miss this.  I must get up and get it NOW.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: