Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Project: Hauke  (Read 4901 times)
shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« on: July 19, 2016, 04:05:03 AM »

Friends, we know and love the Flamberge sabers.

They answered an urge in many of us, born when we first saw a crossguard saber ignite on screen, for a teaser trailer.

Ultrasabers worked diligently, and came up with a saber that was practical as an LED lit crossguard.  But, some have said it's too long...and it is significantly longer than the Ren saber.

It's also heavy, and Ren fights with a mix of one and two handed moves, which can be hard to pull off and not look slow and cumbersome.

That said, I do love my Flamberge, and it's hugeness lends itself very well to some of my favorite greatsword fighting.

But, still...people asked for a shorter one.  And, I thought a couple of inches might be able to be removed, but didn't think much more on it.  Until I was looking over my spare saber parts, and inspiration struck.

I am very happy to announce the completion of Project:  Hauke.

Hauke is just under 11.5 inches, from the face of the main blade emitter to the end of the pommel.

For contrast, my Flamberge V2 is just under 15 inches, making Hauke a full 3.5 inches shorter, which is more than I thought I could shed...but then I had to do some bubbaredneckery type machining to make it work.

See, the Arbiter's MLS unit sits in the neck, not the hilt itself, so there wasn't a spot for the main blade LED to sit.  I thought about making a sleeve that I could epoxy in, but then another of those inspirational flashes hit.  It took "machining" a socket for the MLS unit to sit in, using a drill press, pliers to hold the main crossguard mounting nut, and a step drill, but...

Boom.  The MLS unit just drops perfectly into place.  But, oh no!  How will the wires for the side emitter LEDs get down to the electronics package?

That's where a needle file comes into play.  I cut slots for each wire, and filed a shallow channel in the side of the MLS housing (there's also a bit of a gap between the side of the housing and the inside surface of the crossguard mounting nut).  It was going to take some finessing to get everything into place, but I felt that this would work.  Interestingly enough, this arrangement means the LED sits a couple inches higher, meaning a 36" blade is only about two inches shorter, from the emitter face, compared to my Flamberge's 40" blade.

This was going to be tight, there's not a lot of room, as you can see when I hold the battery/speaker unit next to it, at the depth it would sit while in use.

First step, label everything.

Okay...ummm...I think everything's hooked up right.  Okay, it wasn't.  One of the solder sleeves (negative wire going to the side LEDs) didn't take on two wires, so I discarded that, and just straight up soldered them and heat shrunk the lot.

By the way, props to folks who gave me a hand with this.  When JediXIX posted a picture of his disassembled Renegade LE, for the first time, I noticed something that I hadn't seen before in the wiring.  Thank goodness he posted those, or I'd have had a failed project and/or fried LEDs.  He was kind enough to open up the splice points and let me know what value of resistor I needed, because on the crossguard sabers, the Buckpuck supplies only the main blade.  The other two are fed from main power, from the sound board and through resistors.  So, big big points to him for making this possible, among other unnamed people.

Holy smokes, it works!  I had a moment's panic when the button didn't fire it up right away, and wouldn't you know it, when I picked up the LEDs and was looking directly at them as I pushed the button again, this very dark side saber fired right up to VERY bright life.

Now...uh....how do I get those MLS units up through the neck?

Oh, that's right, I planned for that.   Grin

After I seated the main blade MLS unit, routing the side wires, I slipped the crossguard main assembly over everything, with the side blade LEDs temporarily out the main blade's hole, secured the crossguard, then just installed the LED housings, and now...IT LIVES!

So, what we've got here is a Flamberge V2 crossguard (with modified main nut), mated to the main body of a Dark Arbiter, capped off with a Renegade LE pommel.  I also have spare Flamberge V2 pommels I can use, but to be honest the aesthetics of the Renegade LE small pommel on this is just superb.  Oh, and Obsidian V4 sound, because it's awesome.

Hopefully I can do a video soon, with this and maybe some other recent DIY stuff.

Oh, one more thing.  Why "Hauke"?

There aren't many written sources from England on longsword technique, but the few that exist (and are fairly cryptic, although Brandon P. Heslop and Benjamin B. Bradak have done some interesting work with them) prominently mention a particular kind of sword stroke called a "Hauke".

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 05:37:24 AM »

Yep, VERY VERY VERY AWESOME Shade . . . . Lord C's "point bomb" (+5) coming your way . . .  Cool

It would be great for US to pay close attention to what you've done here, something like this would be very popular IMO . . .

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 05:49:13 AM »

I want this.

shade_1313
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 07:10:08 AM »

I'll try to find my kitchen scale tomorrow, and get weights to post.  Apart from length, one of the bigger factors in the weight differential will be that the Arbiter hilt doesn't vary in wall thickness much.  That is to say, the inner diameter is nearly the same through the whole length.  The Flamberge V2, on the other hand, narrows considerably on the inner portion that corresponds to the segment where the AV switch is, and the segments immediately flanking that one.  The wall thickness there is probably triple what it is for the rest of the saber's tube, so it's not only longer, but has a good bit of additional material.  The Hauke feels much lighter, but the scale will tell the truth of it, when I can get them both weighed.

I'm still really excited that it all worked and came together exactly how I envisioned it.

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 12:48:44 PM »

Great work shade_1313!  Amazing cross guard creation, and epic modding Smiley. Awesome work up in the body fitting the mls unit.  The saber really looks wicked, and I'm sure a lot of people love the sight of a shorter cross guard.  Point incoming asap. 

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 01:29:33 PM »

At long last it is revealed, and it was worth the wait!

Fantastic work, Shade. Point.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

shade_1313
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 05:32:46 PM »

This came across my pinterest feed a month or so back, along with a counterpoint pic of a dark side Rey with a saber staff (but with a longer handle, shorter blades than we usually see), and as I got closer to finishing up Project:  Hauke, I realized that at some point I'll almost certainly do a light side version of Hauke, using the non-anodized versions of all the components and CG LEDs.

So, built from a regular Arbiter, a Renegade SE small pommel, and the crossguard of a Flamberge SE, with CG blades.

Heck if I know what I'll do with the extra pieces of Arbiter and Flamberge (I'll just get a V4 saber with the Renegade pommel, and add on whatever pommel I really want for it), but considering I had no idea what I'd do with the Flamberge V2 crossguard pieces or the Arbiter body, when I bought them, I'm guessing I'll come up with a good use for them.

Calculon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 435

We Will Win!

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 07:59:13 PM »

That is a great and practical looking mod! Good job with the LED work around.

Deciding on a bezel or not for my next reiteration of the Flamberge.

The Wolfpack Lives!

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 08:28:52 PM »

That looks amazing. Thank you for the detailed process shots. It's always amazing what customization people pull off around here.

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

shade_1313
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 08:42:14 PM »

Thank you, everyone.

So, weights.

The Flamberge V2 (Emerald, V4 sound, heavy grade blades)

And Hauke (V4 sound, heavy grade blades)

So, about nine and a half ounces difference, which isn't huge, but when you look at it against the fairly small overall weights we're looking at, over half a pound is somewhere around 15% (probably more, I don't feel like doing more mathing right now) of the total weight of the Flamberge, so it's not an inconsiderable difference.  Weight distribution is a little more towards the blade on the Hauke, in fact it balances maybe an inch, inch and a half past the emitter, so when I'm gripping it just under the crossguard nut, the balance point is VERY much like an actual sword.

For reference, some other sabers I have sitting around, lightest to heaviest:

Initiate V2 (stunt, AAA batteries, medium grade 24" blade, O-rings)

Dark Apprentice V4 (stunt, AAA, heavy grade 24" blade)

Dark Menace "Undercover" (V4 sound, Heavy grade 32" blade, MHS Scorpion pommel neck, Flamberge emitter ring)  Hey, under 2.5 oz. heavier than the stunt Dark Apprentice, WITH a longer blade.  Score another one for my one handed, pint-sized powerhouse.

Dark Prophecy V3 (stunt, Li-Ion with buckpuck, recharge port, o-rings, 36" heavy grade blade)

Dark Sentinel V4 (V4 sound, Consular pommel, 36" heavy grade blade)

Hauke would go in here.

Crimson Scorpion (V4 sound, RGBW Emerald, claw, guarded switch, 36" midgrade blade)

Scorpion (V4 sound, RGBA Emerald, recharge port, non-illuminated AV switch, no claw, Renegade LE small pommel, 36" heavy grade blade)

Hmmm.  I guess the weight difference between a midgrade 36" blade and a heavy 36" blade is about equal to one Scorpion claw.  Thing is, the Crimson Scorpion was a raffle prize, and since it's ultra-edge, I hadn't realized before now that it was midgrade.   Shocked  So when I first saw the weights for these two, I was very much "WTF?"

Flamberge V2 would go here, being the heaviest by almost half a pound, and therefore the heaviest saber I have, barring saber staves.

It was actually kind of fun to see how the different sabers compared, too.

Calculon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 435

We Will Win!

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 09:58:03 PM »

More points for that! Appreciate the work.

The Wolfpack Lives!

Gamble
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -254

Evil Only Has One Face

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 03:33:00 AM »

Some real nice work you did there looks absolutely amazing

Guardian CE W/Obsidian V4 - Guardian Blue
Prophecy V3 W/Obsidian Lite - Arctic Blue
Consular W/Obsidian V4 - Consular Green
Sentinel V4 W/Windows Stunt - Fire Orange

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 07:12:38 AM »

Right freaking on shade!

That looks amazing. Smiley  A cross-guard saber that doesn't require a hill giant to wield correctly (or a small Renlet with enormous attitude Tongue).

+2 from this cat. Grin

P.S. Can we see a pic of you holding and swinging that "frankensaber" in the sixth photo around please? Grin

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Ermenher
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 15

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 11:56:33 AM »

Well done, it looks very nice. It is a very good combination.

Thank you for showing the weight of all those sabers. I have been wondering how much a Flamberge weights, it is actually right on for a full long sword. Your new creation is perfect for a light saber equivalent of a hand and a half sword.

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 03:05:32 AM »

Now that's crossguard I wouldn't mind taking my tools too.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: