Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Cuis Clone Sabre - advice please  (Read 4146 times)
Seano
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -229

« on: September 25, 2016, 11:00:51 AM »

I'm looking at doing my own take on a Cuis Clone sabre, using a Shock as the basis, and was just after some advice from you guys!

In the end, it will hopefully look similar to this -

I already have a few ideas of what I'm going to use to build it, namely a blank switch box from the other guys, and have a 12mm AV switch hole drilled into it, as well as 2-3 accent LED holes (depending on space), and I have a couple of washer face thumb screws handy to be inserted into the side of the sabre, which look like this, but are black -

I was thinking of getting the sabre either powder coated or anodized, but a) costs will probably be prohibitive, and b) I don't trust myself with removing all the electronics.
I'm wondering which will be the better kind of paint to use on aluminium, that won't come off in your hands, and which will last the longest.
Updates to follow!

Ramse Moade the Grey

Current Sabres - Graflex SE in GB & Obsidian V3, Shock in TRI BR (QD's) & Obsidian V3, Customised Dorinian with Diamond Controller, Dark Catalyst in Adegan Silver with Arctic Blue FOC and Obsidian V3 (Customisation WIP)

Grey Owl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 81

We don't like Star Wars, we live for Star Wars.

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 03:38:11 PM »

That's pretty cool. For paint you could always use a spray on enamel(in white of course). You can get it at any local hobby store(probably).

Dark sentinel LE(blazing red)

Seano
Knight Templar

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 10:19:21 PM »

So part 1 of the Cuis Clone sabre has begun - ordered the Shock, with the following set-up -

Blade Colour: TRI Adegan Silver
No Flash on Clash
Battery Configuration: Li-Ion Setup with BuckPuck (Batteries Included Only)
No Recharge Port
Blade Length: 36" Standard Size
Blade Option: UltraEdge Heavy Grade
Quick Disconnect: Sure, Add Them
Sound: Obsidian V3 Sound
Switch Type: Black Guarded Switch
Blade Tip: Round Tip
Covertec Wheel: Black

Although the Cuis Clone sabre blade is red, I ordered the blade colour in TRI Adegan Silver, as I already have a TRI Blazing Red LED module (on my Bellicose currently), and just really love the Adegan Silver colour too!

I've also ordered some of these accent LED's from eBay for the activation box -

Updates to follow!

Ramse Moade the Grey

Current Sabres - Graflex SE in GB & Obsidian V3, Shock in TRI BR (QD's) & Obsidian V3, Customised Dorinian with Diamond Controller, Dark Catalyst in Adegan Silver with Arctic Blue FOC and Obsidian V3 (Customisation WIP)

Seano
Knight Templar

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 06:25:13 AM »

Unfortunately it looks like I won't be putting on an activation box, the LED's which will hold it in place will interfere with the MLS LED module., so instead I'll name this the Mk II Cuis Clone sabre! I've finished the painting, I'm just curing the paint in a portable bench top oven as I type, so once the paint's cured, and it's cool enough to handle, I'll post some pictures of the work so far!

Ramse Moade the Grey

Seano
Knight Templar

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 06:24:27 PM »

I'm happy with the way the body and pommel turned out, but the emitter has too many blemishes, so will redo the paintwork on that tomorrow.
Here's how it's looking so far

More to follow!

Ramse Moade the Grey

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 06:45:42 PM »

Wow, that is looking nice!
Does the MLS unit sit right up against the switch in those? you could always get a non-MLS unit and have it sit in the emitter some to make room for the Act box... just a thought.

Jeadus Teal
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 203

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 08:31:41 PM »

I'm happy with the way the body and pommel turned out, but the emitter has too many blemishes, so will redo the paintwork on that tomorrow.

More to follow!

Looking good so far Seano. Looking forward to seeing more of your progress pics after you have repainted the emitter.

" Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"

“Do or do not. There is no try.”

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 603

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 11:27:54 PM »

It looks good to me. Their is just something about a white saber that looks cool!!   Shocked Shocked

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/s & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/s an silver foc
 Archon CG w/s an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/s an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite s and AB foc
 Exile in CG w/s an silver foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Free)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (Raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Dark Initiate V2 in GB (free)
 Franken saber in VA
 Dominix LE V2 in BR (friend)
Wish list: Sound in my Guardian, Dark Prophecy BR

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 11:59:04 PM »

Wow, that looks superb in white.  Great job!

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

Memeosity
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 16

Padawan

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 04:58:31 AM »

More to follow!

Did you coat this in some sort of substance that would stop the paint rubbing off or is this not need anything like that? Just wondering as I was thinking of painting a saber.

Seano
Knight Templar

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 09:09:32 AM »

Finally, I have finished my take on the Cuis Clone Sabre (I'm calling mine the Mk II), and I think it turned out pretty good myself! The only thing I'm disappointed with, is that I drilled the hole for the screw above the activation button too close...... but hey, when have Stormtroopers been that accurate anyway?! With the activation button, I used some small O-rings to make it look similar to a Stormtroopers neck seal.

I stripped the paint on the emitter, as there were too many blemishes initially, and re-painted it, and it came out looking much better this time!

With the blade plug, I just super glued a washer on to the top of an old blade plug - I'll buff it up later to make it shiny like the emitter end!

Memeosity, in answer to your question, I used a rust-proofing epoxy gloss enamel, and baked the pieces in a small bench top oven at 100° Centigrade (about 210° Fahrenheit) for around 30 minutes after each coat (I did 3 coats), to seal and harden the paint, and it seems to have worked pretty well. I put the oven outside on my porch, so I didn't fill my apartment with toxic fumes! The oven cost me $39 Australian at Kmart, and the paint around $16 Australian at my local Supercheap Auto Parts store, so a lot less than taking it to get powder-coated or anodised!

Anyway, enough talk, on with the pics!

Hope you enjoy the pics, and thanks for the previous, and (hopefully!) further kind comments!

Ramse Moade the Grey

Memeosity
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 16

Padawan

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 10:17:03 AM »

Memeosity, in answer to your question, I used a rust-proofing epoxy gloss enamel, and baked the pieces in a small bench top oven at 100° Centigrade (about 210° Fahrenheit) for around 30 minutes after each coat (I did 3 coats), to seal and harden the paint, and it seems to have worked pretty well. I put the oven outside on my porch, so I didn't fill my apartment with toxic fumes! The oven cost me $39 Australian at Kmart, and the paint around $16 Australian at my local Supercheap Auto Parts store, so a lot less than taking it to get powder-coated or anodised!

Hope you enjoy the pics, and thanks for the previous, and (hopefully!) further kind comments!

Thanks for the answer (nice to see a fellow Australian saber enthusiast Wink ) the saber looks great by the way fantastic work Cheesy, very ingenious using the smaller o rings around the switch.

Points well deserved -1

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 603

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 06:50:16 PM »

I admit i was looking forward to seeing the accent leds that you showed. But it still looks GREAT to me! Well done , good work and +1 point to you good sir.  Shocked Shocked

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/s & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/s an silver foc
 Archon CG w/s an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/s an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite s and AB foc
 Exile in CG w/s an silver foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Free)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (Raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Dark Initiate V2 in GB (free)
 Franken saber in VA
 Dominix LE V2 in BR (friend)
Wish list: Sound in my Guardian, Dark Prophecy BR

Jeadus Teal
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 203

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 09:41:10 PM »

Finally, I have finished my take on the Cuis Clone Sabre (I'm calling mine the Mk II), and I think it turned out pretty good myself! The only thing I'm disappointed with, is that I drilled the hole for the screw above the activation button too close...... but hey, when have Stormtroopers been that accurate anyway?! With the activation button, I used some small O-rings to make it look similar to a Stormtroopers neck seal.

I stripped the paint on the emitter, as there were too many blemishes initially, and re-painted it, and it came out looking much better this time!

With the blade plug, I just super glued a washer on to the top of an old blade plug - I'll buff it up later to make it shiny like the emitter end!

Well done Seano on your completed Cuis Clone Sabre. Point to you.

" Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"

“Do or do not. There is no try.”

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2034

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 10:05:47 PM »

Nice. What all did you use for the blade plug? Looks like foam in the middle of the washer?

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: