Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Weight loss  (Read 6659 times)
KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« on: September 28, 2016, 07:28:23 PM »

Hey all,

So recently I had a huge reality check.  I was way overweight and almost got kicked out of the army for it.  I was given an opportunity to lose wight or leave.   Im 5'8" and according to standards I am supposed to weigh in at 179 pounds and am allowed 24% body fat.  So in May I weighed in at 238 pounds and taped at 32% body fat, I felt like crap when it dawned on me that I could lose the ability to take care of my family.  I buckled down real quick and started working out 2x per day.  I worked my butt off, literally, and every month I was able to see weight loss and my energy levels increasing.  I could have taken the easy way and used weight loss pills and gone on a diet, but instead I changed the way I ate and exercised smart.  I had to make sure that i didn't plateau by doing the same exercises all the time.  I worked out with anyone I could and even worked out by myself when I didn't have to.  There were some weeks when I even worked out three times a week.  I had to learn to listen to my body so I didn't hurt myself, but I had to push myself hard. 

At the beginning of this month I finally got to the point where I was weighed and taped.  I weighed in at 196 pounds and taped at 22% body fat.  I lost 42 pounds, 6 inches on my waist, and 10% body fat.  Im to the point where Im almost happy with how I'm looking.  I feel great have a ton of energy and my wife is pretty happy with me.  I just wanted to pass on my experience with others and hope this helps others to know that even though its not easy, they can do anything they put their mind to. 

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 08:22:23 PM »

Congratulations. That is a super amazing achievement. It's super hard and takes a lot of dedication to pull something like that off.

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 08:35:35 PM »

KDP... So proud of you for many reasons and this achievement is one of them.  I know that you will be an ongoing inspiration to many of us here that can relate to a weight gain and struggle to get back in shape.  Cheesy

Perhaps you can share examples of the food choices and exercise/physical activity and the mind set that you use and tell yourself.  And keep in " mind " that not everyone is going to be able to rock it out in a kilt.   Wink

Awesomeness point to you.   Cool

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 12:02:40 AM »

KDP. First off, congrats dude! That's insane, and you did it for not only yourself, but your family. As a family man myself, very honorable thing you did. I get you.

I went to enlist in the Navy when I was 17, fresh outta high school. I was 5'8", 181. Super fit at the time, buff as hell. Recruiter said I needed to be 179 or under. They gave me milk of magnesia and gave me the weekend to lose. Didn't lose a lb. I was taking off to Puerto vallarta for senior trip. They said don't drink beer, stay away from the women, come back slim. Yeah right!! I came back 2 lbs heavier! Tried to lose for a month, just couldn't. The ultimate turn off is when a separate recruiter called me and tried to inspire me by telling me all the women I'll be meeting. I told him that's not going to make my decision and gave up. Never been that slim again.
Again, congrats to you on shedding lbs!

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 12:43:41 AM »

Thank you, first and foremost, for your service.

Second, way to go!!

That's how it's done!

Signature banner by DarthScrub

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 03:45:47 AM »

Congratulations on the weight loss!  All of that hard work really paid off.  Grin

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 12:35:48 AM »

I just lost 2lbs.
You can speculate how I did it on your own

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 12:45:50 AM »

Way to go man.

I'm glad you did what needed to be done, and what you had to do, instead of just giving up.

I really hope your strength does inspire others to do the same.

Nicely done KDP.

+1

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 01:41:54 AM »

From one brother in The Force to another I'm very proud of you!  You've accomplished a mental toughness and a sacrificial decision so many need and lack the power to achieve.  But thankfully it's the loved ones in our lives that help to make a way for us.  A huge congrats and thank you for your honesty and sharing this feat.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Light Side Points

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 07:33:44 PM »

Hey all D7 asked me for some examples of what I did, so here you go.

KDP... So proud of you for many reasons and this achievement is one of them.  I know that you will be an ongoing inspiration to many of us here that can relate to a weight gain and struggle to get back in shape.  Cheesy

Perhaps you can share examples of the food choices and exercise/physical activity and the mind set that you use and tell yourself.  And keep in " mind " that not everyone is going to be able to rock it out in a kilt.   Wink

Awesomeness point to you.   Cool

Thanks for all the feedback and sorry it took so long to respond.  I have been traveling due to work related mission...we drove from Germany to Bulgaria in Humvees,  conducted some training with Bulgarian and US soldiers collectively, then drove back.  So I have traveled over 3000 miles in 15 days.  We drove through Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania, and then Bulgaria.  However I was asked how I lost the weight I lost so I will start to post some stuff and see where things go from here. 

I had to lose a lot of weight and had a time crunch to do it.  Let me start by saying this wasnt easy by any means, but it was been extremely rewarding. 

My workout schedule now consists of working out 5 -6 days a week, usually 2x a day.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday:  AM:  Cardio, usually 2-4 miles in the AM...Since my knees are bad I usually walk/light jog or I put a 35-45 pound           
                                                   backpack on and march about 4-5 miles.
                                           PM:  Strength training....not weight lifting.  I am not a huge fan of weights so I spent a lot of time looking into
                                                  exercises that use my own body weight as resistance.  I would do pushups, dips, pull-ups/kip-ups, sit-ups, 
                                                  russian twists, etc... My personal workout for this was called "The Strength of Asgard" which can be found
                                                  online.  From time to time I would through in some weights to change up and not plateau.

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday:  Switch the workouts...Strength training in the AM and then Cardio in the Afternoon. 

Sunday:  Rest day. 

I also purchased a Fit-Bit and would strive to walk anywhere from 15000-20000 steps a day.  I needed to see something tangible so I would continue to work out even if I didn't want to.  If I saw that i only walked 7000 steps during the day, I would do extra cardio so I could see progress. 

I would have a protein shake for breakfast, salad with protein for lunch, and then a light dinner,  Lastly I would have a small protein snack before bed (usually a handful of plain/raw almonds), I know it sounds counter-productive, but my nutritionist pointed out that that little bit of protein will actually help you burn calories while sleeping.  Lets not forget to drink water.  I usually drank about 100-160 oz of water a day.  If you take your body weight (at the time mine was 238 pounds) divide it by half (put me at about 120) and change it to ounces, thats about what you should be taking in for water consumption (hope this makes sense)

During my cross-EU trip every time we stopped to fuel up our vehicles I would do 50 pushups and 50 squats.  then I added abdominal twists so I could add more to my workout and see my love handles start to disappear. 

I have seen continued progress and would love to know what workouts some others use.  I need more variety in my workouts so I don't stagnate.   

I appreciate all the positive feedback from you all and it reminds me that there are good people still in the world.  Most of them are here of course  Cheesy

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 08:08:00 PM »

Thanks for sharing KDP.  3000 miles in 15 days while sitting in a fairly uncomfortable Humvee !  You deserve much more than this one appreciation point.  It's fantastic persons such as yourself that have and continue to make this Forum the awesome community pitstop that it has become.  Take care.  Cheesy

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 11:54:51 PM »

Hey KDP.
If you want to try something without using weights, just your body/cardio, try the Insanity workouts. I did them, insane explains it! Good 35-40 minute workout. Hell, even the warm-up is a good workout

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Light Side Points

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 10:04:43 AM »

Hey KDP.
If you want to try something without using weights, just your body/cardio, try the Insanity workouts. I did them, insane explains it! Good 35-40 minute workout. Hell, even the warm-up is a good workout

Thanks for the insight Majobu...Ive  done Insanity before and it kicks my butt.  will have to get the videos so i can start doing it again.

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 12:56:50 PM »

Thanks for the insight Majobu...Ive  done Insanity before and it kicks my butt.  will have to get the videos so i can start doing it again.

Yeah no problem

Grey_Jedi
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 01:08:59 AM »

congrats man keep up the good work

there is no dark side, or a light side there is only the force
I will do what I must to keep the balance
there is no good without evil, but evil must not flourish
there is passion, yet peace
there is serenity, yet emotion