Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Keep your hands and your hilt safe with sideguard technique  (Read 2886 times)
Cang Snow
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 42

« on: February 22, 2017, 08:59:17 AM »

In our latest video, we go over the fundamentals of defense, focusing on lateral blocks and counterattacks.

These are essentially the first lessons we teach our beginners, as there are many detrimental habits people have when starting out, regardless of background.

While there are other ways to defend, we use this as our starting point. It's the most conservative parry we have. We figure people need to know how to protect their hands before anything. Once they have mastered that, then they can move on to riskier defensive skills, which may offer higher rewards.

Naturally, the same concepts talked about in the video apply when defending other target areas as well. But that will be for another video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhJ_-x7g914" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhJ_-x7g914</a>

(Note that we use the 3/4". This technique still applies to any diameter you're using, but it's especially crucial in 3/4. If you want to use 3/4, you MUST understand these concepts!)

So how do you protect your hands? If you're from a sword background, what modifications in your technique have you learned or discovered to be able to adapt lightsaber to your fighting?

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 02:23:14 AM »

Thank you for the post!

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 06:02:51 PM »

Good to know, even as I don't duel (yet)! Thanks Smiley

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 01:02:03 PM »

Simple yet effective solution. Hadn't gotten to spar without a guard. Knew parries, blade control, redirects into counter cuts would play a huge part in modifying my defense; but I would definitely have lost some fingers in lightsaber combat using 2 of my old guard positions. Useful video.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Cang Snow
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 42

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 10:54:07 PM »

Simple yet effective solution. Hadn't gotten to spar without a guard. Knew parries, blade control, redirects into counter cuts would play a huge part in modifying my defense; but I would definitely have lost some fingers in lightsaber combat using 2 of my old guard positions. Useful video.

Thanks! I confess I was very surprised to see this topic come up and not remember ever making it. But now I see it was a long time ago. There are more modern tutorials from us at LightspeedSaber.com FYI

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 02:54:28 AM »

Again your guidance is appreciated. As of now I'm still awaiting my first lightsaber's arrival. I will likely look through much of what is there once I do receive it, and can start using them as a base to improve. Until then I'm just looking through everything here for entertainment and inspiration. Watching all your videos will likely just make me feel the itch to train even more. Sadly the chapter of the organization you recommended I get in contact with is indeed several hours away from me. But they did respond when I reached out.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Nodachi
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 05:06:39 PM »

Why do you want to move your hand and sword BACK during parry, away from the threat?
- you are removing you saber further from the opponent so he has more time to adjust while you are counterattacking
- with moving hand back you are opening more body parts for the possible feints by opponent
- if you have free form fight without right of way tournament rule - it is even easier for opponent to continue attach as you removed your only protection from his way

Practicing Lightsaber Dueling Combat under ASL-FFE rules in the US
Sith Combat Academy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: