Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Reflecting blaster bolts  (Read 12919 times)
pepsiaddict
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 23

Brother of the Force: Neither Jedi nor Sith

« on: February 26, 2017, 05:34:57 PM »

Ever since I was a kid I always thought the coolest part of a light saber was not the glowing sword part, but the ability to deflect and reflect blaster bolts.

I made my first "light saber" when I was 16 with a section of pipe, decorative chain and 32" long 1 1/2" dowel. Hundreds of hours spent having my siblings throw tennis balls at me. I got relatively good at batting them back, stopping them dead, and even redirecting their momentum. We had a massive point system going depending on what I did and what they did - which kept things competitive and them interested, the loser doing the winner's chore. I must have mowed the lawn the entire summer when my older brother learned to throw a curve ball. But eventually....I learned to watch for and hit a curve ball. Smiley

Does anybody else actively practice deflecting/reflecting?

I've got my Ford, my Springfield, and now my UltraSaber. Life is good.

obliviondoll
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -21

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 06:04:54 PM »

That is a skill I want to train up to some degree. I have several nerf guns, and I've read that there are people who practise deflecting nerf darts, so that might have to be a part of my training when I can get a chance to practise it. I love your story about the curve ball! That's awesome.

V^^^V
It's not about rage, it's about *emotion*. Happiness is the Dark side, and I will face you with a smile.

pepsiaddict
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 10:21:03 PM »

Nerf darts? Brilliant!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 11:49:27 PM »

I have a Nerf gun in the shape of a blaster that I use, but I'm not very good.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 12:03:38 AM »

Always thinking about light sabers and Star Wars when I'm watching other movies, considering what crossovers would be like, and I was thinking how would light sabers defend against bullets? Sounds dumb asking that question because maybe it is but since the bullets would instantly burn up when they hit the saber, it would be just a matter of the wielder's speed and could it be possible that a Jedi or Sith (to all you Sith out there, don't get too presumptuous about this question) could be fast enough to deflect them?

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

obliviondoll
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 12:04:26 AM »

To be fair, most nerf guns are about as accurate as stormtrooper rifles anyway.

Which also plays into them being a good choice for Star Wars themed LARP.

V^^^V
It's not about rage, it's about *emotion*. Happiness is the Dark side, and I will face you with a smile.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 02:07:43 AM »

I'd love to practice, if I had someone to fire Nerf darts at me....it would be a very cool skill to develop, if only a "watch what I can do" skill.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

obliviondoll
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 02:29:32 AM »

I was thinking about the bullet question, and I have an interim conclusion:

I suspect an un-deflected bullet would be less painful to be hit by than a spray of superheated liquid metal or even more extremely superheated metal vapour (which you end up with depends on the speed of the saber, the duration of contact and the type of projectile). Using the force to stop/deflect the bullets would probably be a more effective practise than using a lightsaber. Or just wearing basic projectile-resistant armour of the kind that's probably woven into the usual Jedi robes by the time the Old Republic era starts.

V^^^V

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 02:33:40 AM »

You kids are so cute.

<a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=ppe4O1H4tIw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtube.com/watch?v=ppe4O1H4tIw</a>

<a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qzhs1Z8Rwnk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qzhs1Z8Rwnk</a>

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

obliviondoll
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 02:39:09 AM »

I was REALLY hoping someone would post the Isao Machii videos. He's rather impressive.

Interestingly, the stance he uses is distinctively recognisable as being quite impractical for anything except cutting a high-speed projectile, lending some credibility to the concept of having a specific martial form dedicated to deflecting blaster bolts like they do in Star Wars...

V^^^V

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 02:56:31 AM »

I was thinking about the bullet question, and I have an interim conclusion:

I suspect an un-deflected bullet would be less painful to be hit by than a spray of superheated liquid metal or even more extremely superheated metal vapour (which you end up with depends on the speed of the saber, the duration of contact and the type of projectile). Using the force to stop/deflect the bullets would probably be a more effective practise than using a lightsaber. Or just wearing basic projectile-resistant armour of the kind that's probably woven into the usual Jedi robes by the time the Old Republic era starts.

Interesting points you make and I hadn't thought of the overspray you mentioned. Force push against bullets could work, I mean if Magneto can do it. 😊

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 06:22:14 AM »

Ever since I was a kid I always thought the coolest part of a light saber was not the glowing sword part, but the ability to deflect and reflect blaster bolts.

I made my first "light saber" when I was 16 with a section of pipe, decorative chain and 32" long 1 1/2" dowel. Hundreds of hours spent having my siblings throw tennis balls at me. I got relatively good at batting them back, stopping them dead, and even redirecting their momentum. We had a massive point system going depending on what I did and what they did - which kept things competitive and them interested, the loser doing the winner's chore. I must have mowed the lawn the entire summer when my older brother learned to throw a curve ball. But eventually....I learned to watch for and hit a curve ball. Smiley

Does anybody else actively practice deflecting/reflecting?

If you want a really good time and you can find one, grab a Nerf Firefly blaster. It charges and shoots glow in the dark nerf darts at you, so it looks like real blaster fire at night. Combine that with a lightsaber and youve got a really fun Star Wars experience there.  https://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-49597-N-Strike-Firefly-REV-8/dp/B00083HJ26 Get us some video too! I've done this before, but I could only get about half of the blaster shots fired at me, though I dodged all of them if I couldnt hit them. I'm just more focused on saber to saber combat.

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

pepsiaddict
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 10:44:57 PM »

If you want a really good time and you can find one, grab a Nerf Firefly blaster. It charges and shoots glow in the dark nerf darts at you, so it looks like real blaster fire at night. Combine that with a lightsaber and youve got a really fun Star Wars experience there.  https://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-49597-N-Strike-Firefly-REV-8/dp/B00083HJ26 Get us some video too! I've done this before, but I could only get about half of the blaster shots fired at me, though I dodged all of them if I couldnt hit them. I'm just more focused on saber to saber combat.

If only the reviews didn't say the shot distance is short and inaccurate, and the "glow in the dark" aspect is just stickers. That fall off easily. Sad

Gets me thinking though...

pepsiaddict
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 11:00:33 PM »

As someone who shoots air soft and pellet a lot.....WOW!
Point to you.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 06:29:10 AM »

If only the reviews didn't say the shot distance is short and inaccurate, and the "glow in the dark" aspect is just stickers. That fall off easily. Sad
Gets me thinking though...

You could get one of the guns and some nerf darts and paint the darts with glow in the dark paint. You can get that stuff pretty cheap and it works well/wont come off. I don't think accuracy of the blaster is too big an issue if youre only training to deflect the darts, and lets not forget blasters ARE clumsy and random haha. All in all I think this is a great nerf gun, its the only one I still have. I had one of the Vulcans though at one point, but I don't think using a fully automatic chain fed nerf gun would be good for deflection training...

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: