Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3388 3389 [3390] 3391 3392 ... 3562   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Thoughts of Members (anything goes...well with in forum rules)  (Read 4948415 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #50835 on: August 06, 2019, 05:28:52 PM »

Hi Knox,

Great work on the costume but to quote the great Elena Gilbert ...
"That ain't a knife....this is a KNIFE!"

I designed a saber for Nina/Elena about two years ago but then found out she already had this.

Nice! Although, I spent about 4 months deciding on the right length knife I wanted to go with my costume. Elena's looks great, but a little too long for my purpose. All shall be revealed in a couple months time....

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1559

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #50836 on: August 06, 2019, 05:36:40 PM »

Hi Knox,

What puzzles me is that I know your knife is a prop...but what nightclubs do you go to that would let you take that in? I thought I lived in a rough neighbourhood  Cheesy

(p.s. I probably would have picked a Sabatier myself but they are a bit pricey)

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #50837 on: August 06, 2019, 05:51:45 PM »

Hi Knox,

What puzzles me is that I know your knife is a prop...but what nightclubs do you go to that would let you take that in? I thought I lived in a rough neighbourhood  Cheesy

(p.s. I probably would have picked a Sabatier myself but they are a bit pricey)
It's made of plastic, so won't have any problems taking it in. Especially as it's part of a Halloween costume. Nightclubs tend to be very understanding about props if they are hosting a Halloween themed event where people are encouraged to dress up.

If it was a normal night I'd be made to leave it at the door. Plus, the way it's sheathed in my costume, it's totally un-noticeable until. They'd feel it if they did a pat down, but like I said, those don't tend to happen on Halloween. At least, not to the club events I've ever been too.

I wanted something that will look the part in photos with my costume, but on close inspection definitely looks fake. Just added another layer of PVA glue to seal in the paint job I did. Should prevent any scratches ruining the aesthetic.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #50838 on: August 06, 2019, 06:03:36 PM »

Hi Knox,

Ok, I must go to much more rough clubs. I used to perform in a cabaret act and had to dress as Jim Carrey's The Mask quite often to make "Guest Appearances" and the trouble I had getting past the Bouncers  Roll Eyes. Especially when they asked me to take the mask off...I'd say, "Yeah no problem have you got an hour? This thing's glued on!"

And I think the FX guys I knew used to use Gelatine and Cochineal food dye to make their blood products (works for use in bags, capsules and for splatter applications).

-1 point.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2773

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #50839 on: August 06, 2019, 06:10:02 PM »

It's made of plastic, so won't have any problems taking it in.
This just made me think of something horrible: would a ceramic knife set off a metal detector?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #50840 on: August 06, 2019, 06:13:46 PM »

Ok, I must go to much more rough clubs. I used to perform in a cabaret act and had to dress as Jim Carrey's The Mask quite often to make "Guest Appearances" and the trouble I had getting past the Bouncers  Roll Eyes. Especially when they asked me to take the mask off...I'd say, "Yeah no problem have you got an hour? This thing's glued on!"

And I think the FX guys I knew used to use Gelatine and Cochineal food dye to make their blood products (works for use in bags, capsules and for splatter applications).

-1 point.
If you were doing a "guest appearance" the best thing to do is email the club beforehand with a photo of you in costume and explain the difficulties of removing the mask at the door. That way they can let the door team know in advance and you'll encounter no problems. Although, that's why I tend to wear silicone masks. Much easier to take off at the end of the night.

For me, I've never had any issues with my costumes because the places I go the door team tend to realise that that someone under the age of 18 wouldn't have gone to so much trouble/be able to afford such a costume, just to get into a club. Most people (in the UK) tend to just get chap store bought costumes for Halloween as you're probably aware. So when I turn up in something that looks like it could appear in an episode of Buffy or Supernatural, I tend to have no problems.

As for blood, I use Perma Blood for clothing. Ordered a quantity a few years ago and still got loads left. It looks like actual blood and dries shiny so looks as if it's still wet. Add in a little brown acrylic paint and the blood will look aged. Never needed squibs or anything, but Film Riot has some great homemade blood recipes I may try one day.

This just made me think of something horrible: would a ceramic knife set off a metal detector?
No idea. Why you thinking of taking a ceramic knife out with you?

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2773

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #50841 on: August 06, 2019, 06:21:04 PM »

No idea. Why you thinking of taking a ceramic knife out with you?
No. Knives aren't my thing. Just a random villainous thought. According to what I just found, manufacturers purposefully incorporate metal into them, enough to set off a detector. However, not being familiar with the material processing, I could assume some dedicated maniac would be able to produce a ceramic blade with absolutely no metal, and raise all kinds of hell.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #50842 on: August 06, 2019, 06:31:09 PM »

No. Knives aren't my thing. Just a random villainous thought. According to what I just found, manufacturers purposefully incorporate metal into them, enough to set off a detector. However, not being familiar with the material processing, I could assume some dedicated maniac would be able to produce a ceramic blade with absolutely no metal, and raise all kinds of hell.
There are plenty of ways to make a sharp weapon that is not made of metal to bypass metal detectors is someone so wished. However, as you say, all knife manufacturers put some metal in there for that reason. Plus, the sensitivity of metal detectors can be altered. Last time I was in America, when it came time to leave, my prince albert piercing set off the detectors. So funny seeing security guards get flustered and wave me through after they broke out the wand and it bleeped when it went over my crotch!  Grin Grin

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #50843 on: August 06, 2019, 06:42:13 PM »

If you were doing a "guest appearance" the best thing to do is email the club beforehand with a photo of you in costume and explain the difficulties of removing the mask at the door. That way they can let the door team know in advance and you'll encounter no problems. Although, that's why I tend to wear silicone masks. Much easier to take off at the end of the night.

For me, I've never had any issues with my costumes because the places I go the door team tend to realise that that someone under the age of 18 wouldn't have gone to so much trouble/be able to afford such a costume, just to get into a club.

As for blood, I use Perma Blood for clothing. Ordered a quantity a few years ago and still got loads left.

Hi again, I don't have to worry about all that now as I'm no longer performing but most of the door staff in my area knew who I was anyway...they just liked being funny and asking, knowing all too well I couldn't get the thing off! (They also asked me all the time for ID because I always had it with me and it looked good that they were doing their job properly)

My costume was fully custom too, complete with spats and all, the coat had a real weight to it so when I danced it flew around. I even had a Hawaiian shirt to go under the white shirt for the Cuban Pete number  Smiley

Oh and one last thing, if you ever think of doing an Aliens cosplay the saliva goop was made out of KY jelly.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #50844 on: August 06, 2019, 06:48:45 PM »

Oh and one last thing, if you ever think of doing an Aliens cosplay the saliva goop was made out of KY jelly.
I've used KY jelly on previous costume. Good product to replicate saliva/sweat on costumes.

Hi again, I don't have to worry about all that now as I'm no longer performing but most of the door staff in my area knew who I was anyway...they just liked being funny and asking, knowing all too well I couldn't get the thing off! (They also asked me all the time for ID because I always had it with me and it looked good that they were doing their job properly)

My costume was fully custom too, complete with spats and all, the coat had a real weight to it so when I danced it flew around. I even had a Hawaiian shirt to go under the white shirt for the Cuban Pete number  Smiley
I am thinking of making fake ID as my new character with funny details on it in case I get asked on the door (I'll have my driver's licence with me as well as normal).

Funny thing, last time I emailed a club about my costume, they hired me to be an official performer on the night to scare people in the queue and in the club. So many photos of people cringing away from me as I walked through the crowd or just stood at the top of some stairs, unmoving, just staring at people. Good times.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Duff Man
The Double Triple X 4 + Fish OG of Randomness Version 2.7 of part 9 = Bacon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -358

« Reply #50845 on: August 06, 2019, 07:44:47 PM »

I accept no responsibility whatsoever for any utilikilt purchased. If it had been a normal kilt, then I would accept 3% of the blame.

No No, I still blame you!  Grin Grin  . But  it is machine washable(so that is a plus) and  can take all the pockets off and still do the sporran thing.  Plus it suppose to be a hiking model so maybe I will actually go outside?

there are a few companies that make fiberglass/plastic composite knives that don't set off the gate or wand metal detectors. But will still show up on the x-ray.  I used to be corporate security in a past life.

Ultra Saber SI Staff:Guardian Blue
Ultra Saber Redemption:SRD
Ultra Saber Dominix V2 LE:Dark VA
MR Construction Kit:RGB

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #50846 on: August 06, 2019, 08:19:50 PM »

No No, I still blame you!  Grin Grin  . But  it is machine washable(so that is a plus) and  can take all the pockets off and still do the sporran thing.  Plus it suppose to be a hiking model so maybe I will actually go outside?
We need pictures of your new purchase. Machine washable is definitely a plus. The first kilt I ever bought was a polyviscose one, which is also machine washable. I never wear it anymore, as I own several wool kilts (and one tweed one), but I keep it for sentimental reasons.

However, the blame still does not lie with me. I ain't dun nuffink!!

Duff Man
Knight Commander

« Reply #50847 on: August 06, 2019, 10:12:55 PM »

We need pictures of your new purchase. Machine washable is definitely a plus. The first kilt I ever bought was a polyviscose one, which is also machine washable. I never wear it anymore, as I own several wool kilts (and one tweed one), but I keep it for sentimental reasons.

However, the blame still does not lie with me. I ain't dun nuffink!!

this is the one I got.   It is a fairly inexpensive one but amazon and youtube reviews are good. I don't remember my Photobucket password so pics of me wearing it are pretty much a no go plus i never take pics anyway.
[utrl=https://www.utkilts.com/wild-outdoor-wilderness-black-utility-kilt/]https://www.utkilts.com/wild-outdoor-wilderness-black-utility-kilt/[/url]

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #50848 on: August 06, 2019, 10:19:19 PM »

this is the one I got.   It is a fairly inexpensive one but amazon  and youtube are good.
https://www.utkilts.com/wild-outdoor-wilderness-black-utility-kilt/
I almost bought that as my first kilt. Nice purchase.

Duff Man
Knight Commander

« Reply #50849 on: August 06, 2019, 11:58:56 PM »

I almost bought that as my first kilt. Nice purchase.

Thanks, I almost got a Kiltman because their Khaki is on sale for basically half off because they are discontinuing that color. but after you buy the pockets(because they are modular and don't come standard) it would still be more than I wanted to spend(at this time).      I will probably get one eventually when i can afford it though.  Thought things have Rave reviews and last for ever.   
https://kiltmankilts.com/collections/utility-kilts/products/khaki-pubkilt

i was also looking at the Stumptown kilts and Angry Bastard kilts (yes that is it's name) but those are also out of my price range right now.   

Pages: 1 ... 3388 3389 [3390] 3391 3392 ... 3562   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: